It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 173.htm
<< 170  171  172    174  175  176 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TribeOfManyColours

Originally posted by windwaker
I know this may sound silly, but I had a small amount of sushi from a Japanese restaurant in NYC yesterday. I'm starting to wonder if it was safe.

How long does it take fresh fish to get from Japan to New York? ..Oh god, I never thought in a million years that I'd be asking that question!

It could be homegrown sushi fish specie
Like they do for examplehere
We actually sell tuna to the Japanese for sushi and sashimi. Tuna caught in the Atlantic, even by sport-fishers, are sold for top dollar to Japanese buyers. So they have been eating our Corexit tainted fish for months, the least we can do is eat a few of their nuclear fish.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Fair enough. But its the banksters and consortia that made this possible. We dont need to bleed, for someone else greed

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAlive
reply to post by AstraCat

Can you provide any links showing this info that the pools are full? I watched the operation live on www3.nhk.or.jp... and given what I saw, am extremely skeptical that the operation did much at all to fill the pools.

I can't find it now
I believe that have seen "the water level was restored" or something like that.
here are JAIF reports -
17/03/11 16:00 - www.jaif.or.jp...
17/03/11 09:00 - www.jaif.or.jp...
and new report from TEPCO - www.tepco.co.jp...
they really say that the operation is still not finished.
So maybe I was wrong.

link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

Absolutely right. I was just pointing out the global economy, how it is entirely possible that we will get some tainted products from there in the future. The greedy overlords won't let things go to waste, they will probably charge extra for it.

link   
OMG i just read this below what the chineze gov is recomending the population right now

Update 12:30 In China reported "panic buys salt", salt supplies to be stocked by consumers. It is possible an unintended consequence of reports in Chinese state media that people "will not have to worry about the salt stock" and the idea that ordinary table salt enough protection against the harmful effects of radiation. Denies.

Why OMG?
Yesterday a nuclear physicist said that salt was perfect to measures radiation. Because the protons will bind to the salt

In my mind this translates. China knows radiation cloud is coming, chance to depopulate gentle. give advice to eat salt for protection against radiation, while the salt has the opposite effect. You become proton/neutron etc magnet.

Yesterday we had an Dutch talk show were an Journalist returned from Japan He said Japan is lying He came back with radio poisoning which was not detected by those things we all saw in the video's across the net. He was station 150km North of Fukash... Nuclear physicist said, If you want to measure radio activity correctly. Take salt samples of home''s around the plants. The protons will stick to the salt making them ideal for radiation testing

Choose diederik samson part (skip to 7:25min)Its in Dutch 3th fragment

If this is true, then this is madness. What can we do???
edit on 17-3-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Update 12:30
Update 12:44 Operator Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) announced that the radiation from the overheated reactor at the Fukushima-kerncentale rises

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Update 12:30
Update 12:44 Operator Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) announced that the radiation from the overheated reactor at the Fukushima-kerncentale rises
TEPCO announces another rise. They don't give us much for specifics though.
They are just putting on a show at this point.
They suck.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I'm guessing sushi sales will suffer regardless of the origin of the ingredients since people will just want to avoid the hassle of trying to determine if it's safe. Yesterday was my last day for sushi Until this debacle resolves itself...especially with this radiation coming to the US and all...not to mention the Corexit situation.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

reply to post by Vitchilo

More and more persons sick update

5-20 Possible late effects; possible chromosomal damage.
20-100 Temporary reduction in white blood cells.
(I BELIEVE THIS LEVEL IS PASSED BY NOW)100-200 Mild radiation sickness within a few hours: vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue; reduction in resistance to infection.
200-300 Serious radiation sickness effects as in 100-200 rem and hemorrhage; exposure is a Lethal Dose to 10-35% of the population after 30 days (LD 10-35/30).
300-400 Serious radiation sickness; also marrow and intestine destruction; LD 50-70/30.
400-1000 Acute illness, early death; LD 60-95/30.
1000-5000 Acute illness, early death in days; LD 100/10.

That link does not lad to a page with this info on.....???

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

The living conditions of people in north eastern Japan have deteriorated Further. They have no shelter and no electricity. They have no shelter and no Electricity. Also, in much of the area of snow. Also, in much of the area or snow. According to the Red Cross are many people sick and have diarrhea. Accor ding to the Red Cross many people are sick and have diarrhea. Shelters face a shortage of food, water and fuel oil. Shelters face a shortage of food, water and fuel oil. The death toll from the earthquake and tsunami of state Friday to over 5300. The death toll from the earthquake and tsunami of state on Friday to 5300. The police reported that more than 9400 people are missing and believe the death toll rising to over 10.000.In the disaster area for some 80,000 aid workers to victims. The Police Reported That More Than 9400 people are missing and believe the death toll rising to over 10.000.In the disaster area for some 80,000 aid workers to victims.

This is were it leads to. MSM Dutch

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Update 12:56 The Japanese Minister of Defense after 40 minutes an end to the spraying of water over 3 reactor of the Fukushima nuclear power plant. Five fire trucks sprayed water 2 minutes each.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Some of you may find this interesting reading.

I have been following a pro-nuke blog for the past few days..
Braveclimate.com

Only today the professor blogger admitted there is a problem.
Until yesterday hé claimed that at the end Fukushima would actually be remembered as an example of how safe Nuclear Power is..

The thing is .. One of the earlier blog posts on this site has been ré-edited last night, so as to cancel the most silly bits..
bravenewclimate.com...

I couldn't post this there as comments are moderated.
However, for the record, hère is how the post was changed..

edit on 17-3-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by monica86

Could you use ex-text and a link because there is no way without a magnifying glass that Im going to read that plus it might be against ATS forum rules etc to present it like that

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

Diarrhea may be due to disease associated with lack of infrastructure due to the EQ/tsunami, ie.sewage facilities, clean water and food problems.

Could just as well be radiation sickness too.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

The living conditions of people in north eastern Japan have deteriorated Further. They have no shelter and no electricity. They have no shelter and no Electricity. Also, in much of the area of snow. Also, in much of the area or snow. According to the Red Cross are many people sick and have diarrhea. Accor ding to the Red Cross many people are sick and have diarrhea. Shelters face a shortage of food, water and fuel oil. Shelters face a shortage of food, water and fuel oil. The death toll from the earthquake and tsunami of state Friday to over 5300. The death toll from the earthquake and tsunami of state on Friday to 5300. The police reported that more than 9400 people are missing and believe the death toll rising to over 10.000.In the disaster area for some 80,000 aid workers to victims. The Police Reported That More Than 9400 people are missing and believe the death toll rising to over 10.000.In the disaster area for some 80,000 aid workers to victims.

Yes, I know, but the poster quoted death and illness tolls for people affected by radiation ? That info is NOT on the page they linked to and I wanted to know where it came from

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Versa

Use your browsers zoom function (usually by holding CTRL and wheeling your mouse wheel, or from the view menu), it zooms well enough to read.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicpixie

Yes, I know, but the poster quoted death and illness tolls for people affected by radiation ? That info is NOT on the page they linked to and I wanted to know where it came from

North east Japan is Nuclear fallout area. This article is about people that live surrounding that particular area. And I dont think the snow helps either, and I am not talking about the cold it brings
So my logic sense combined that chart and that article

100-200 Mild radiation sickness within a few hours: vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue; reduction in resistance to infection. 200-300 Serious radiation sickness effects as in 100-200 rem and hemorrhage; exposure is a Lethal Dose to 10-35% of the population after 30 days (LD 10-35/30).

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I see that CNN are NOT saying that the new attempt to put water in the reactors via the fire engines has failed....they just said they have given up for the night.

HNK said

Japanese police have failed in their attempt to use water canon to cool the No.3 reactor at the quake-damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. The high-pressure water did not reach the reactor and the police squad has now evacuated to a safety zone. The operation on Thursday evening followed efforts by the Self-Defense Forces using helicopters earlier in the day.

link

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
RSOE EDIS updated their reports.

Situation Update No. 40
On 17.03.2011 at 10:19 GMT+2

Following is an update on radiation levels in Japan emanating from quake-stricken units of nuclear installations made as per observations of 2100 hrs IST on Tuesday by Weather Underground and made available to Business Line through the India Meteorological Department. Dr Ajit Tyagi, Director-General, IMD, has also provided to Business Line the IMD projections for the forward trajectory for radiation drawing upon on US National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) HYSPLIT model as well as the GFS (global forecast system) forecast system. Quoting a Weather Underground model, Dr Tyagi said that a low pressure system was located over Japan near Tokyo yesterday (Wednesday, March 16), and the counterclockwise flow of air around this low was bringing easterly winds over the stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, which lies to the north-northeast of Tokyo.

These easterly winds are blowing radioactivity inland over Japan. As the low tracks northeastward along the coast of Japan today, winds at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant will gradually shift to northeast and then northwest, which will move radiation towards Tokyo for several hours, which may be long enough for some radiation to reach the city. US National Oceanographic at Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA’s) HYSPLIT trajectory model shows that for a release of radioactivity at 50 meters altitude beginning at 0230 hrs on Tuesday (when an explosion at the No. 2 reactor was recorded), with repeat releases simulated to occur every two hours thereafter, the plumes will stay to the north of Tokyo.

However, a more detailed dispersion model being run by the Austrian weather service showed that the plumes could affect much of the Tokyo area on Wednesday. Both models predicted that by mid-night last (Wednesday) night, the threat to Tokyo would have been over, with more westerly winds blowing the radioactive cloud out to sea. There will be some radiation from Japan lofted to high altitudes by the low pressure system affecting the region, and if the radiation manages to escape being rained out, it could potentially be transported thousands of miles over the next week. A run of the HYSPLIT model following the path of a radioactive cloud emitted at 1700 hrs IST on Wednesday showed the radioactivity being lofted four to five km in altitude and being transported over Alaska over the coming week. After a week of transport, this cloud will be considerably diluted, and it is doubtful if the radioactivity would be harmful to human health if rain or snow were to carry it to the ground over Alaska or Canada, assuming that the radiation levels currently being advertised at ground level in Japan are correct.

Situation Update No. 39
On 17.03.2011 at 10:18 GMT+2

Military helicopters dumped loads of seawater onto Japan's stricken nuclear complex Thursday, turning to combat-style tactics while trying to cool overheated uranium fuel that may be on the verge of spewing out more radiation. Plant operators also said they were racing to finish a new power line that could restore cooling systems and ease the crisis at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant on the country's northeast coast. The top U.S. nuclear regulatory official gave a far bleaker assessment of the situation than the Japanese, and the U.S. ambassador said the situation was "deteriorating" while warning U.S. citizens within 50 miles (80 kilometers) of the complex to leave the area or at least remain indoors. The Japanese government said it had no plans to expand its mandatory, 12-mile (20-kilometer) exclusion zone around the plant, while also urging people within 20 miles (30 kilometers) to stay inside. The troubles at the nuclear complex were set in motion last week's 9.0-magnitude earthquake and tsunami knocked out power and destroyed backup generators needed for the reactors' cooling systems. That added a nuclear crisis on top of twin natural disasters that likely killed well more than 10,000 people and left hundreds of thousands homeless. Four of the plant's six reactors have faced serious crises involving fires, explosions, damage to the structures housing reactor cores, partial meltdowns or rising temperatures in the pools used to store spent nuclear fuel. Officials also recently announced that temperatures are rising in the spent fuel pools of the last two reactors.

Two Japanese military CH-47 Chinook helicopters began dumping seawater on the complex's damaged Unit 3 at 9:48 a.m. (0048 GMT, 8:48 p.m. EDT), defense ministry spokeswoman Kazumi Toyama said. The choppers dumped at least four loads on the reactor in just the first 10 minutes, though television footage showed much of it appearing to disperse in the wind. Chopper crews were flying missions of about 40 minutes each to limit their radiation exposure, passing over the reactor with loads of about 7,500 liters (about 2,000 gallons) of water. The dousing is aimed at cooling the Unit 3 reactor, as well as replenishing water in that unit's cooling pool, where used fuel rods are stored, Toyama said. The plant's owner, Tokyo Electric Power Co., said earlier that pool was nearly empty, which would cause the rods to overheat and emit even more radiation. Defense Minister Toshifumi Kitazawa told reporters that emergency workers had no choice but to try the water dumps before it was too late. U.S. officials, meanwhile, said Unit 4 also was seriously at risk. U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission Chairman Gregory Jaczko said at a congressional hearing in Washington that all the water was gone from that unit's spent fuel pool. Jaczko said anyone who gets close to the plant could face potentially lethal doses of radiation. "We believe radiation levels are extremely high," he said.

Tokyo Electric executives said Thursday that they believed the rods in that pool were covered with water, but an official with Japan's nuclear safety agency later expressed skepticism about that and moved closer to the U.S. position. "Considering the amount of radiation released in the area, the fuel rods are more likely to be exposed than to be covered," Yuichi Sato said. Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said that along with the helicopter water drops, special police units would use water cannons - normally used to quell rioters - to spray water onto the Unit 3 storage pool. The high-pressure water cannons will allow emergency workers to stay farther away. Military vehicles designed to extinguish fires at plane crashes will also be used, said Gen. Ryoichi Oriki. Emergency workers were forced to temporarily retreat from the plant Wednesday when radiation levels soared, losing precious time. While the levels later dropped, they were still too high to let workers get close. The storage pools need a constant source of cooling water. Even when removed from reactors, uranium rods are still extremely hot and must be cooled for months, possibly longer, to prevent them from heating up again and emitting radioactivity. A core team of 180 emergency workers has been at the forefront of the struggle at the plant, rotating in and out of the complex to try to reduce their radiation exposure. But experts said that anyone working close to the reactors was almost certainly being exposed to radiation levels that could, at least, give them much higher cancer risks.

"I don't know any other way to say it, but this is like suicide fighters in a war," said Keiichi Nakagawa, associate professor of the Department of Radiology at University of Tokyo Hospital. Experts note, though, that radiation levels drop quickly with distance from the complex. While elevated radiation has been detected well outside the evacuation zone, experts say those levels are not dangerous. U.S. officials were taking no chances, and Prime Minister Naoto Kan and U.S. President Barack Obama spoke about the crisis early Thursday. In a statement, U.S. Ambassador John V. Roos made his evacuation recommendation "in response to the deteriorating situation" at the Fukushima complex. In Washington, the State Department warned U.S. citizens to consider leaving the country, and offered voluntary evacuation to family members and dependents of U.S. personnel in the cities of Tokyo, Yokohama and Nagoya. Chartered planes also would be brought in to help private American citizens who wished to leave, the State Department said. While American officials have been careful not to criticize Japan's response, they have made clear it's difficult to ascertain what is going on.

"It's a very fluid and indeed it's a very confused situation," U.S. Deputy Energy Secretary Daniel Poneman told reporters Wednesday. Japanese officials raised hopes of easing the crisis early Thursday, saying they may be close to bringing power back to the plant. The new power line would revive electric-powered pumps, making it easier for workers to control the high temperatures. Tokyo Electric officials said they hoped to have the new power line working later Thursday, and had electricians standing by to connect the power plant. The company also is trying to repair its existing disabled power line. Nearly a week after the disaster, police said more than 452,000 people were staying in schools and other shelters, as supplies of fuel, medicine and other necessities ran short. Both victims and aid workers appealed for more help. "There is enough food, but no fuel or gasoline," said Yuko Niuma, 46, as she stood looking out over Ofunato harbor, where trawlers were flipped on their sides. Along the tsunami-savaged coast, people must stand in line for food, gasoline and kerosene to heat their homes. In the town of Kesennuma, they lined up to get into a supermarket after a delivery of key supplies, such as instant rice packets and diapers. Each person was only allowed to buy 10 items, NHK television reported. With diapers hard to find in many areas, an NHK program broadcast a how-to session on fashioning a diaper from a plastic shopping bag and a towel.

Situation Update No. 38
On 17.03.2011 at 04:18 GMT+2

Developments at a damaged nuclear reactor in Japan are 'very serious', the UN nuclear watchdog chief said as he prepared to head to the country to assess the situation. Yukiya Amano said he hoped to fly to Japan tomorrow for a one-day trip and needed more information from authorities there. He also said damage to the core of three units at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear reactor had been confirmed. Japanese crews have been trying to prevent a nuclear meltdown by dumping water on the stricken Fukushima nuclear power plant. The plant has been hit by a series of explosions after Friday's earthquake and tsunami knocked out reactor cooling systems. The Department of Foreign Affairs is still advising Irish nationals against all non-essential travel to Japan. Britain has advised its citizens in Japan to consider leaving Tokyo and the area north of the capital because of the crisis. The US has warned its citizens living within 80km of the damaged Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan to leave the area or seek shelter. That no-go zone is much wider than the 30km radius perimeter set up by the Japanese.

It follows a warning from the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission that there are 'extremely high' radiation levels at the plant. NRC chairman Gregory Jaczko said that there was now no water left in the spent fuel pool of reactor 4 at the Fukushima plant. 'In addition to the three reactors that were operating at the time of the incident, a fourth reactor is also right now under concern,' he added. 'What we believe at this time is there has been a hydrogen explosion in this unit due to an uncovering of the fuel in the spent fuel pool,' he said, noting the explosion happened several days ago but its effects were cause for concern. France's Nuclear Safety Authority (ASN) earlier said that the 'next 48 hours will be decisive.' Meanwhile, the European Union's energy chief has said that the situation at the plant has spun out of control. One day after he said Japan was facing 'apocalypse', Commissioner Guenther Oettinger told a European Parliament committee that the situation is threatening a deeper catastrophe that could cost more lives. Concern has also been mounting that the crews dealing with the crisis might be too few in number, or were possibly exhausted after working nearly round-the-clock since Friday's catastrophe. The authorities withdrew 750 workers yesterday, leaving only 50 to deal with the crisis.

Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan yesterday urged people within 30km of the facility - a population of 140,000 - to remain indoors. Officials in Tokyo said radiation in the capital was ten times normal at one point this week, but not a threat to human health in the sprawling city. Residents have reacted to the crisis by staying indoors. Public transport and the streets were as deserted as they would be on a public holiday, and many shops and offices were closed. Winds over the plant are forecast to blow from the northwest today, which would take radiation towards the Pacific Ocean. The plight of hundreds of thousands left homeless by the quake worsened overnight following a cold snap that brought snow to some of the worst-affected areas. While the death toll stands at 4,314, more than 8,606 are listed as missing and the figure is expected to rise. About 850,000 households in the north are still without electricity in the freezing weather and the government says at least 1.5m households lack running water.

In a rare public appearance, Japanese Emperor Akihito said he was praying for the people's safety and expressed his deep concern about the escalating nuclear crisis. 'The number of people killed is increasing day by day and we do not know how many people have fallen victim,' Emperor Akihito said in an address on live television. 'I pray for the safety of as many people as possible.' He also said he was 'deeply concerned' about the 'unpredictable' nature of the situation at Fukushima. 'I sincerely hope that we can keep the situation from getting worse,' Emperor Akihito said. Meanwhile, Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs Eamon Gilmore said the Government has approved €1m in emergency funding for the Red Cross relief operation in Japan. The Japanese Embassy in Dublin has opened a book of condolence. It will be open at the embassy on Nutley Lane from 2pm to 4.30pm today and from 9am to 4.30pm on Friday.

Situation Update No. 37
On 17.03.2011 at 03:51 GMT+2

The situation at the Dai-ichi nuclear plant is worse than Japanese officials are acknowledging, says the head of the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission. “We believe that radiation levels are extremely high, which could possibly impact the ability to take corrective measures," Gregory Jaczko told Congress, while advising Americans in Japan to get further away from the plant than the current Japanese guidelines. The New York Times sees his statements as a "serious split" between Washington and Tokyo over the crisis. Jaczko singled out trouble at reactor No. 4, asserting that high radiation levels are a result of exposed fuel rods there. His assessment came as a spokesman for the plant operator offered a glimmer of hope, saying that an emergency power line—one that could theoretically revive the electric cooling pumps—is nearly operational. However, he didn't say when it would be fired up, only that it would be "as soon as possible".

top topics

<< 170  171  172    174  175  176 >>

join