It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 171.htm
<< 168  169  170    172  173  174 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Originally posted by TribeOfManyColours
Nuclear physicist said, If you want to measure radio activity correctly. Take salt samples of home''s around the plants.
The protons will stick to the salt making them ideal for radiation testing

Do you mean take ``soil samples`` around the plants in your house/outside to know the real radioactivity levels?

Or?

No just the salt in your kitchens, the protons bind themselves best on salt. Actually any salt
pauwenwitteman.vara.nl...[tt_news]=21028&tx_ttnews[backPid]=116&cHash=a3d24787dcf09b44ed2e7eab9ea9fd08(ski p to 7:55min)
edit on 17-3-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by AstraCat

Can you provide any links showing this info that the pools are full? I watched the operation live on www3.nhk.or.jp... and given what I saw, am extremely skeptical that the operation did much at all to fill the pools.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Japans disastor zone. Video

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAlive

Thank you for looking..when I tied in the interaction between different sites..it was more of the lack of human oversite to monitor water levels etc.. due to evacuation zones..etc..

I know it's hard to answer because we really never have been there before..but do you think the part about the 29,000 square miles uninhabitable is far off base?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Most people are suggesting do a repeat of the chernobyl entombment. I have a slightly different suggested fix:
Take one of those mobile cranes and set it up to deploy rigging designed to hydraulicly extract the rods, similar to how a pneumatic mail tube works. I thought at first of using a helicopter, but the IAEA rep I was talking to suggested that this was unsafe. This tube could shoot this nuclear garbage somewhere where it can be dealt with and keep it cool in water till it gets there, and it wouldn't have to get far....

Just far enough away to be dealt with more safely.

It occurs to me that because rods can be kept at

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Update 11:11 Based on these status reports will NRC expert Karel Knip "no evidence which indicates an improvement in the situation."Besides the already known problems with the "Spent fuel pools 'winning ' status 'unknown' of the reactor vessels 1.2 and 3 great concern to him (in the status reports recounted by Reactor Pressure Vessel Integrity). "This reactor was assumed that these vessels are in tact. It is now unclear. ".

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I'm curious, after nearly a week of one reactor after another overheating and considering the now extensive damage done to primarily the first four reactors, what good will it do at this point to try to cool the fuel rods down if it is even possible anymore? Won't that just create and release more radioactivity at this point and really only delay the inevitable? There is a point of no return, correct? Is it really at all possible or feasible at this point to stable the fuel rods decay and contain the leaking radiation? This whole week they have struggled to cool down the fuel rods but with all the damage how can they, and for how long? Feels like the longer this goes on the more it feels like a losing battle. But I suppose the fact that I barely manage four hours sleep these days since the tsunami might have as much to do with my despondency. I'm tired..

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Regarding removal of fuel rods or assemblies from the plant...
It took many, many years to clean up Three Mile Island, and keep in mind that the plant there was intact no explosions occurred there and there were no fires. The helicopter operations did not last very long at Fukushima for two reasons, they were not effective, and the radiation levels were a prohibiting factor. Helicopter pilots died in mid-air during the disaster at Cherobyl due to the radiation levels.
Entombment of the plant is the only viable option left IMO.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
CNN reporting that there's huge radiation recorded in Sendai? What?

They say ``too much for the geiger counter``... IMO that is BS... wouldn't they all already be dead if this was the case?
edit on 17-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Please move this post to a new thread. I am too new a member to do so.. Thank you.

Dry Ice to help cool Japanese Nuclear Meltdown-- Almost Freeze the seawater as it is applied

First time poster with eyes on the disaster unfolding in Japan. Devastation there has surpassed unimaginable and is headed to inconceivable in a hurry. In the day in age of distracting viral videos and hollywood, I pray this post finds its way through that atrocious maze to help all those in harms way. By no means is this a solution to the problem, but I believe it can be an immediate application to attempt cooling in the meltdown to doomsday. We need to at least attempt to lower the temperature of the seawater flooding the containment vessels. This should be easily deduced to the point of how much of a dry ice core is needed at the center of the flooding pipes/hoses to almost freeze the water applied. Also could be added to helicopter dumps. Sure this may only change the water by 30 degrees or so, but right now I feel every idea is needed. Godspeed to all those in harms way. We need ideas now people. Time to focus. What about divide and conquer? Can we find a way to siphon off small amounts of the nuclear pool enabling temperature to be managed more effectively. There is a solution people.... find it!

Dry Ice Facts from Wiki

Plumbers use equipment that forces pressurised liquid CO2 into a jacket around a pipe; the dry ice formed causes the water to freeze, forming an ice plug, allowing them to perform repairs without turning off the water mains. This technique can be used on pipes up to 4 in (100 mm) in diameter.[22]

Dry ice is also useful for the de-gassing of flammable vapours from storage tanks — the sublimation of dry ice pellets inside an emptied and vented tank causes an outrush of CO2 that carries with it the flammable vapours.[28] .

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
www.jaif.or.jp... update

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Nhk news just reported that the high pressure spraying of the reactors with water from trucks was just halted due to radiation levels being to high.
edit on 3/17/2011 by dethduck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Update 11:30
The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) reports that in 17 people (9 TEPCO employees and eight employees of affiliates) increased radioactivity measured on their face. They are not taken to hospital because the level of exposure is low. An employee is at work on a ventilation shaft to "significant" amounts of radiation exposure. He went to a place outside the danger zone transfer.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I would think it depends on the scale you have the tester set on..

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
reply to post by Vitchilo

I would think it depends on the scale you have the tester set on..

Yep. CNN is being lied to/lying...if it were true, people would all be dead by now.

Taiwan's Chinatimes says Japan's Self-Defense Forces refused to fly choppers over reactor; claimed that TEPCO lied re radiation levels

U.S. Calls Radiation ‘Extremely High;’ Sees Japan Nuclear Crisis Worsening

Japanese people becoming alarmed, streets empty and airports jammed

France has announced that it will fly 95 tonnes of boron to Japan to help authorities there deal with the crisis at the Fukushima nuclear power plant. Boron is an element that is used to help dampen radiation.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
"The streets of Tokyo are empty and the airports are packed. People are trying to get out."

--MSBNC, Ann Curry in Japan on Morning Joe

Mostly the usual sunshine and unicorn tears otherwise, but these little important facts slip through when they're live. As the clock ticks on, many of the talking heads increasingly have an alarmingly haunted look while they lie.
edit on 17-3-2011 by sepermeru because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Breaking news on Sky TV saying that the water cannon cannot be used because of the high radiation levels, on japanese TV they are saying it is because the cannon can't reach

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sepermeru
"The streets of Tokyo are empty and the airports are packed. People are trying to get out."

--MSBNC, Ann Curry in Japan on Morning Joe

Mostly the usual sunshine and unicorn tears otherwise, but these little important facts slip through when they're live. As the clock ticks on, many of the talking heads increasingly have an alarmingly haunted look while they lie.
edit on 17-3-2011 by sepermeru because: (no reason given)

They were just plain stupid for waiting this long to leave.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackcat99
Breaking news on Sky TV saying that the water cannon cannot be used because of the high radiation levels, on japanese TV they are saying it is because the cannon can't reach

How about they man up and plate it with DU?
edit on 17-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by blackcat99

Of course the radiation is too high. There has never been a hotter spot on the surface of the planet. Japan's antics are now so absurd that they've become counterproductive, because you can just assume the opposite of what they're saying is the truth. It's like a small child who says "I didn't steal any cookies!" the minute you walk in the room.

They're currently insisting that the 35 million people in Tokyo are perfectly safe.

new topics

top topics

<< 168  169  170    172  173  174 >>

join