It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 167.htm
<< 164  165  166    168  169  170 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ethancoop
reply to post by Mr Tranny

The story early on was that they has a large generator brought in but the plug didn't fit their system. As to why an electrician couldn't rectify this problem who knows.

Ummmmmmm…….. generating equipment that size doesn’t have “plugs”!!!!! They don’t make plugs that size! You connect conductors right to buss bar tabs at each end!!!!!!

If there was a voltage difference problem……… Like the reactor system had a 2.3kv system buss, and you had a 460v generator. Then get a 5MW 2.3KV to 460V 3P transformer and back feed the damn thing to feed the system buss from the mobile generator!!!!!!!

link   
From Kyodo

english.kyodonews.jp...

BREAKING NEWS: S. Korea urges Koreans within 80 km of crippled-reactors to evacuate (16:03)

link   
Some time ago I heard on CNN that reactor 5 had a pressure increase. But nothing more was mentioned of this. I was waiting to see if anyone would post more about it here. But nada... Any info folks?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
If these instruments aren't capable of detecting some kinds of radiation from the MOX fuel how do we know how much radiation is there in Japan and also drifting our way? The spent fuel rods are presumably (some of them anyhow) MOX. IF radiation levels are probably much higher than everyone thinks.... why aren't we seeing pictures of people sick with radiation poisoning yet?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Even the Koreans have decided to tell their people in Japan to move away more.

english.kyodonews.jp...
edit on 17-3-2011 by leisas4 because: someone already posted this sorry

edit on 17-3-2011 by leisas4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by leisas4

Most foreign countries are now telling their people to get out of Japan.....NOW!

link   

China urges Japan to quickly and accurately report on crisis developments
by linda.noakes at 2:10 AM

live.reuters.com...

It seems like everyone is unhappy with the flow of information

link   
More telling info..

Transcript
On-the-Record Briefing with Under Secretary of State Patrick Kennedy and Deputy Secretary of Energy Dan Poneman
March 16, 2011 Via Teleconference

UNDER SECRETARY KENNEDY: No, we - as I mentioned in my opening statement, we have issued a Travel Warning. The Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the deteriorating situation. The State Department strongly urges U.S. citizens to defer travel and should consider departing. In other words, we have provided this information and we are saying to them this is information you’ve heard Deputy Secretary Poneman. They - but this is their choice. We are making information available to them and it is their choice, just as we’re offering a choice to family members. This is not an ordered departure. We have not ordered individuals to leave and we are not closing down operations. The only order we have been given, so to speak, is we’re saying that it really - if you’re an American citizen and you’re within that 50-mile radius, as the Embassy statement of this morning said, you should, you must, for your own safety, get out of the 50-mile zone.

Highlight mine

Source
edit on 17-3-2011 by okiecowboy because: added source

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Has this been posted yet??

i677.photobucket.com On 3/15 before Japan's government took down Ibarakai's monitoring station it read 3448nGy/h. It is currently offline: www.bousai.ne.jp (pink).
comment by JoeyMac via I677.photobucket at 11:35 PM yesterday

Source: live.reuters.com...
Photobucket link from source: i677.photobucket.com...
Direct link to website image was taken from: www.bousai.ne.jp...

Do you see how high the gray radiation measurement for Ibaraki is compared to the rest in that image? 3448 nGy/h. I am not certain of what that measurement equates to in milisieverts or sieverts, but it is much higher than the rest of the prefectures, both in the image, as well as right now on the Bousai website, which at 3:12am eastern US time is reading 894 nGy/h.

Can anyone "translate" these measurements into milisieverts or sieverts?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Japan baffled by alarming U.S. statement, says reactor info delayed

english.kyodonews.jp...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
They were just saying on tv, MSNBC, that one of the reactors was 'slumping' and appeared to be melting and that putting water on it now would only make it produce more radioactive hydrogen.

Someone on one of these threads was posting about that very thing right before that.

link   
reply to post by Nyiah

I believe that converts to .3448 millirem.

link   
reply to post by Nyiah

What's interesting to me is that I don't see ANY official *live* radiation readings coming out of Tokyo, the LARGEST city in the world. WTF is going on. None of these private readings websites have any info on it, and it's really starting to piss me off!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

They also blanked out the readings at the site altogether I've read.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nyiah
Has this been posted yet??

1Gy = 1000 mGy
1mGy = 1000uGy
1uGy = 1000nGy
1nGy = 1000pGy

So, 3448 nGy = 3.448uGy = 0.003448 mGy = 0.000003448Gy

It takes about 1Gy to start to induce radiation sickness.

So, you would have to increase it 290,000 fold before you would get sick from 1 hour of exposure.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

NEWS ADVISORY: TEPCO to suspend construction of Higashidori nuke plant in Aomori (16:14)

english.kyodonews.jp...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
reply to post by Wookiep

They also blanked out the readings at the site altogether I've read.

I hadn't heard that. Sheesh, really? C'mon, I'm not in ANY way trying to be an alarmist, but WHY is that happening? And WHY aren't people demanding this info?!?

EDIT: this is The LARGEST city in the world, this should not be so hard!
edit on 17-3-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny

Originally posted by ethancoop
reply to post by Mr Tranny

The story early on was that they has a large generator brought in but the plug didn't fit their system. As to why an electrician couldn't rectify this problem who knows.

Ummmmmmm…….. generating equipment that size doesn’t have “plugs”!!!!! They don’t make plugs that size! You connect conductors right to buss bar tabs at each end!!!!!!

If there was a voltage difference problem……… Like the reactor system had a 2.3kv system buss, and you had a 460v generator. Then get a 5MW 2.3KV to 460V 3P transformer and back feed the damn thing to feed the system buss from the mobile generator!!!!!!!

Right...every generator I have seen or hooked up that size has what in the stagehand biz. is called feeder cable which is really thick solid copper core cables and you hook 5 of them up...they go to the transformer and get stepped out into whatever size you need it's really quite simple especially for a trained electrician. now if the stepped down cable had the wrong end I have watched guys change out plug ends to make custom cables in less than 15min. All in all there is really no excuse for not having all the power they need to do whatever they need to do especially when the world is right there asking if they need anything anything at all we got people to help equipment to lend and experts to solve problems!

ETA: when it comes to plugs it's pretty simple as well it has positive negative and ground...not too much to mix up there!!!
edit on 17-3-2011 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Radiation Measurement Units - International (SI) System
link

maybe this will help

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I keep seeing steady readings of 20 CPM. 100CPM = about 1 micoro Sievert/hr

edit on 17-3-2011 by elouina because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 164  165  166    168  169  170 >>

join