It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 160.htm
<< 157  158  159    161  162  163 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by sheepslayer247

All I know at this point is that military choppers were used to dump water and military personnel will be manning the water cannons when they arrive.

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced the military taking over is a good thing. We heard about the helo water drop for at least one if not two days but nothing happened, military takes over and boom, it happens. Sure it didn't work but they tried, saw it didn't work & proceeded with another plan. Now water canons are rolling in & they'll get their shot at it. It's action & action is what's needed.

Now if they'll wise up & let those Russians in to help (but can the Russians communicate with the Japanese... maybe that's why they didn't do it)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

reply to post by Curio

Yes, I just saw it again. This was on the crawl on CNN on DirectTV at 10:21 PM CDT, March 16, 2011.

Govt. Officials: Engineers to attempt restart at plant

I believe we just went past insane... I don't know whether to laugh at the incompetence or cry at the idiocy.

TheRedneck

Maybe they can stick the key in, turn the ignition and just drive away?

edit on 16-3-2011 by mrbillshow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
reply to post by TheRedneck

Now that I think about it, I am surprised they haven’t already tried it.

Come to think of it, #5 and #6 at "Daiichi" are (as far as we know) undamaged. There were reports of rising temps on those (due to cooling being off-line), but not more serious (unless I missed it). It would certainly be a shorter-distance for running that alleged "power-line" to run the pumps for the other reactors. So maybe not so crazy after-all?

PS: Looks to me (from the ariel photos) like #5 and #6 are separated a lot further (a few hundred yards?) from the other group of four reactors at "Daiichi".

edit on 2011-3-16 by EnhancedInterrogator because: added postscript.

link   
reply to post by RickyD

no kidding???? what controls are they talking about? the ones that used to be in that tangle of girders and debri ?
the extension cord, the water cannon, the helicopters are all "last ditch" and are not expected to do anything really but fool the populace.

link   
reply to post by ethancoop

Now if they'll wise up & let those Russians in to help (but can the Russians communicate with the Japanese... maybe that's why they didn't do it)

I agree....I just can't figure out why Japan wouldn't let the U.S. bring in the coolant back on day 1..maybe non of this would be taking place now.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar
A little assistance here, if possible.

Got a strange call from a former work collegue today. (March 16, 2011).

I've known this person for almost 20 years. She is as level-headed and practical as all get-out; her husband is a top-flight corporate attorney and a senior partner in his firm.

These are are solid people, in my estimation.

Which is why the call I got has me...curious/concerned.

It seems my friend has a contact in Japan (She wouldn't say where) who relayed some disturbing information (wouldn't say, specifically, what; but did mention that the info being given out about the MOX fuel, amoung other things, is way wrong)

She wouldn't go into specifics of any kind, but urged me to leave home NOW for, perhaps, Arizona (And me without a passport!), and plan to stay there for at least 72 hours; possibly permanently.

She said, that, in fact, she was flying her children (all minors under 12 yrs old, I believe) out of the state Tonight!

We both live in northern California.

I could hear the barely controlled fear in hear voice, and she seemed to be at first worried that her call would be monitored, then she decided that it didn't matter.

I don't know what to think at this point.

It's as if your sweet, very proper, old granny, who never misses church on Sunday and blushes when someone says "Damn", suddenly stripped down to her bra and panties and began pole-dancing!

I'm flumoxed!

You've been a member here for a long time so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt....

But that story has all the hallmarks of a hoax.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy

I agree....I just can't figure out why Japan wouldn't let the U.S. bring in the coolant back on day 1..maybe non of this would be taking place now.

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
On the whole CPM thing (clicks per minute)
There is no fixed CPM per radiation level.
The number of CPM a certain radiation level is, depends on the sensor you are using, and it’s efficiency and calibration.

A larger sensor with larger detection volume will have a higher CPM per a calibrated radiation level. A smaller one, will generate fewer CPM. You have to look up the calibration factor for the GM tube you are using.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I just heard on CNBC that the US Government is sending planes to Tokyo to evacuate American citizens.

I guess the outlook isn't good.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
0355: Pressure is rising again at Reactor 3, the power station operator says - Reuters. That reactor includes plutonium and uranium in its fuel mix.

0352: The temperature of Reactor 5 is now a growing cause for concern, a Japanese official reports. "The level of water in the reactor is lowering and the pressure is rising," he says.

www.bbc.co.uk...

U.S. government authorizes voluntary departure of family members of embassy staff - State Department official
by Reuters_UrvashiSibal at 10:55 PM
ReplyU.S. State Department says bringing in chartered aircraft to Tokyo to help Americans exit Japan
by Reuters_UrvashiSibal at 10:54 PM
live.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I've slightly given up following the updates for a while, due to work and such. So in an expert opinion (Or anyone's for that matter), is the worse in progress?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
BBC reporting pressure rising in 3 and water lowering in 5 causing pressure there too.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
On the whole CPM thing (clicks per minute)
There is no fixed CPM per radiation level.
The number of CPM a certain radiation level is, depends on the sensor you are using, and it’s efficiency and calibration.

Yeah thought so, cheers for making me more sure though. Felt kind of daft asking what cpm was too when it wasn't the actual scale.
edit on 16-3-2011 by Hitoshura because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

its not that i dont have faith in the military....its the power shift i see that sucks my hope away. it is truly lost i fear.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Seems like its not the first time TEPCO is having trouble being truthful with information about their powerplants.

Just caught this link from Wikileaks twitter

Link

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I'm confused about reactor's 5 & 6. Is it the reactors that are heating up or their spent fuel? All this time I've thought the only reactor problems are 1, 2 & 3 and that 4, 5 & 6 were spent fuel containment fuel problems since they weren't active.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AstraCat
I wish they would use Chernobyl experience..

Well since they are sending the military in right now, I would say they are using "Chernobyl experience" You ought to watch the documentary so you know what that entails

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

That'd be the spent fuel ponds but we all know how outta hand that can get...just look at the once safe no.4 reactor!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedoom
I've slightly given up following the updates for a while, due to work and such. So in an expert opinion (Or anyone's for that matter), is the worse in progress?

Asking the members of ATS if the worst case scenario is in progress is like asking a dog if he wants the steak you're holding.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

reply to post by crazydaisy

Probably nothing. The control rods are probably jammed inside a melted mass of uranium and won't move. If they did move, though, if the meltdown was minor... restart = remove control rods.

Just the idiocy of thinking you can restart the plant after even a partial meltdown... in the first place, that's against every rule in the book by any nuclear regulatory agency, and in the second place it shows a complete and total ignorance of nuclear theory!

You honestly think they are worrying if something is OK by the rule book? I think you can burn the rule books, you won’t find this in any stupid rule book. We are where few dare to tread, they write no rules for this.

And on the control rod stuff……… If the core is already making enough heat to bring the turbine up to speed, then you don’t have to move the control rods. So, If the piping is intact between the reactor and turbine, why not try? There is nothing to loose, and a lot to gain.

edit on 16-3-2011 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 157  158  159    161  162  163 >>

join