It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 155.htm
<< 152  153  154    156  157  158 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrbillshow
Not to be too late to the party, but can someone explain the difference between micro, milla and one plain old sievert?

Will add cpm to that too, still trying to work out the ustream counter...

link   
I'm worried about reactor #3 because it uses MOX. They got a lot of things to worry about. This event will take weeks because that's how long it will take them to cool down. Maybe months?

Those areas will probably stay contaminated though even in the best case.
edit on 16-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

link   
These poor people...

Video from inside Fukushima's exclusion zone - not sure if this has been shared here (sorry if it has.)

As engineers race to avert a nuclear catastrophe at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, the government has declared a 20km (12-mile) evacuation zone around it. The BBC has obtained footage from a local Japanese television crew who wanted to tell the story of those trapped inside the exclusion zone.

Link to video

I know this zone has now been expanded. They really just need to evacuate these poor people if at all possible. To ATS members, seeing a crisis be handled with to little to late is not new. But it is so very, very sad. Had their leaders (and our's in America I am sad to say) not been trying to save face and save industry and save money all this time - how much more could have and should have been done? Leadership everywhere - has been compromised.

Are these people in the exclusion zone just going to be left there? How are supplies being delivered? I hope some of them can get out. Prayers for the people of Japan.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Thank you RedNeck.

Just looking for confirmation on my own questioning

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Is it just me, or are the government and NHK in major spin mode right now?

They cut away from three different press conferences when it seems like the answers may be getting a little heavy, and several questions were not completely answered as they should have been. It's a lot of talking around certain issues, and not directly answering the questions. It's been like this before, but not to this extent. They're not saying anything.

The best example being when someone asked the defense minister about the radiation levels yesterday that caused the aerial operation to be aborted. He started to say something about "It's not my job" and the translator stopped, and then they cut to a different press conference. Then when the reporters started asking about what the US was saying versus the what the Japanese government was saying in the next conference, they cut back to the main anchor.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Redneck,

Would you agree with this article calling the situation a "dirty bomb"?

www.infowars.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

That list is probably the most likely scenario.

Gadzooks I grab a bite to eat and 15 more pages

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
She just said the death toll topped 5,000. Has it been this high? I have been watching for a while now and heard way lower figures.

Did any body hear this. It is like she didn't believe it or something?
www.cnn.com...

EDIT: I know this is the nuclear thread but I have been hearing numbers in the 3,000's for a while. Am I lost.
edit on 16-3-2011 by liejunkie01 because: EDIT

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
0231 : Japanese defence minister Toshimi Kitazawa confirms four water drops took place over the Fukushima Daiichi plant. He says 11 "special purpose vehicles" manned by defence forces will conduct water spraying operations from the ground on Thursday afternoon.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Redneck and Seek_Truth from another source besides cnn

link   
Japan Radiation map

www.targetmap.com...

link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
OK, this was heard on CNN moments ago. They are saying that Japanese soldiers are going to be manning those water cannons being trucked in. Reported by Anderson Cooper.

That fits my hypothesis; the nuclear experts are no longer in charge. The government will now step in and save the day by pouring a little water on a nuclear meltdown.

Question: what's worse, a corrupt power company or a clueless bureaucratic government?

TheRedneck

OMG. They have a tiny window of time. They have had a tiny window of time since Saturday, BUT alot of access to funds. So, they're mandate was to evacuate the people south and then out of Japan with the help of the world, while there was time in that tiny window of time.

PERIOD! PERIOD! PERIOD!

I am nearly having a stroke freaked out of my tree, not afraid of the radiation coming here, YET at least, or the Moon predictions for the weekend, YET, but watching this Travesty of Misuse of Public Trust and Funds to Do The Right Thing!

Which Is To Serve and Protect The People, Not Pretend To Look Good. All They're Doing Is Posturing.

The Captain Can Go Down With The Ship, But He Makes An Effort To Get The Passengers Off!

link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
These poor people...

Video from inside Fukushima's exclusion zone - not sure if this has been shared here (sorry if it has.)

As engineers race to avert a nuclear catastrophe at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, the government has declared a 20km (12-mile) evacuation zone around it. The BBC has obtained footage from a local Japanese television crew who wanted to tell the story of those trapped inside the exclusion zone.

Link to video

That is completely ****ed up, I had no idea people we're trapped there like that? I guess the Japanese government have lost the plot in the same way as most others then. So they'll probably say they're ok soon and that radiation levels are fine again?

Do many of you west coast people have geiger counters, to start checking levels when the clouds are predicted to arrive?

This already sounds like a cover up anyway, they're being way too quiet. And the government in America have bought loads of the supplies of iodide too? If that's right there's some seriously weird s*** going on.
edit on 16-3-2011 by Hitoshura because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Hitoshura

The CPM stands for "Clicks per minute"...the more clicks the higher level according to what they have it set on..
Here is a link to a chart to help understand the radiation levels a little better

link

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

You snooze, you lose.

I just saw a crawl I could not believe, but not gonna post it until I see it again... if I saw that right, this just went from crazy to insane.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Also the fact that they now say this is about a level 6 on a 1 to 7 scale in terms of its radioactive dangers is telling. The question is whether it will go to a 7 which is the worst.

english.kyodonews.jp...

I'm not hyping the danger. I've made repeated posts trying to keep a cool head because there's so much fear going on. I just think it's notable that both france and others are saying this should be a 6.
edit on 16-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Ok, ive been watching news updated and reading all these threads all day long (theredneck = brilliant !) and its all going nowhere !
Just seen the new Breaking news on CNN and finally they have been in contact with the US and are willing to let them help....BUT, they are still insisting that the 4 buckets of water they dropped earlier seemed to do the trick....DOH !!

Maybe they should just let Homer in there to sort it out??

OK, i don't really want to say this but its part of the reason ive been lurking on ATS for so long and joined a few weeks ago.....A big interest of mine is conspirasy theorys and prophecies/predictions ect....like most on here i guess.

Didnt someone years ago predict that if the worst was to happen, it would be via a yellow war/army ?? I Know its a bad term and i apologise for that. Its just thats how it was portraide when i heard it many moons ago..

Anyone else recall it ?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Regardless of the outcome it's safe to say that Japan has lost a sizable chunk of land for the next couple of thousand years. It's not that big of an island to begin with; it just lost it's "elbow" forever because of the nuclear disaster.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Via Kyodo

english.kyodonews.jp...

NEWS ADVISORY: Cooling efforts not yet started at No. 5, 6 reactors: Edano (11:46)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
reply to post by Hitoshura

The CPM stands for "Clicks per minute"...the more clicks the higher level according to what they have it set on..
Here is a link to a chart to help understand the radiation levels a little better

link

Thanks, still trying to find cpm but have found others sites I think. Cheers anyway though.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Hope this wasn't posted already (this thread is growing almost faster than I can keep-up with it) ...

US to measure radioactivity in Japan

The United States says it will conduct its own measurements of radioactivity in Japan in the wake of radiation leaks from an earthquake-damaged nuclear power plant in Fukushima Prefecture.

US Ambassador John Roos told reporters in Tokyo on Wednesday that measuring equipment and 34 experts arrived in Japan the previous day. The equipment included instruments for measuring radiation levels on the ground and in the air and computer systems to process the data.

Roos said the US is deploying all these capabilities because it's important to provide as much assistance to the Japanese as possible. He also said ensuring the safety of the US citizens in Japan is their highest concern, adding that it doesn't mean his government doesn't trust data provided by Japan.

Roos reiterated that his government will provide continued support to Japan, adding that 7 experts from the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission arrived in the country on Wednesday.

The US government has already sent 4 experts from the commission, the Energy Department and the Health and Human Services.
Wednesday, March 16, 2011 20:19 +0900 (JST)

Note: As always, emphasis added to quote by poster (i.e. me)

I read "[...]it doesn't mean his government doesn't trust data provided by Japan", as "Trust, but Verify".

edit on 2011-3-16 by EnhancedInterrogator because: spelling, grammar, formatting, etc.

top topics

<< 152  153  154    156  157  158 >>

join