It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1393.htm
<< 1390  1391  1392    1394  1395  1396 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

God help us, we need super powers...

Maybe this will help us evolve, but probably not.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
One more from BC. WW's home ground.

"The news coming out of Japan these days is not good. But as far as our government is concerned, Canadians just can’t handle the truth."

It's all our bribed, fat, useless, politicians who can't handle the truth!

www.coastreporter.net...

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

So is that then the answer to my question in the other thread "how bad would an uncontrolled criticality actually be?" Because if that's all true... that's absolutely horrific. (This is in reference to the quote you posted that you said others would call "alarmist.") Is that actually the reality?

Forgive my ignorance if I'm asking an uninformed question. As a layperson it's so hard to separate hyperbole from disinformation from truth from official denial. I lack the scientific knowledge necessary to know if this is really what would happen, so that's why I ask. If that's really what would happen... then may whatever flying spaghetti monster people choose to believe in help us all. Because we certainly won't help ourselves, evidently.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I would like to formally inform any NSA agents (or other secretive governmental agencies from all over the world) that if there is some sort of top secret project taking place that seeks to give people super human powers to combat this growing threat then i will happily volunteer to be your guinea pig.

Just drop me an email, you know the address

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04

So is that then the answer to my question in the other thread "how bad would an uncontrolled criticality actually be?" Because if that's all true... that's absolutely horrific. (This is in reference to the quote you posted that you said others would call "alarmist.") Is that actually the reality?

Forgive my ignorance if I'm asking an uninformed question. As a layperson it's so hard to separate hyperbole from disinformation from truth from official denial. I lack the scientific knowledge necessary to know if this is really what would happen, so that's why I ask. If that's really what would happen... then may whatever flying spaghetti monster people choose to believe in help us all. Because we certainly won't help ourselves, evidently.

Peace.

Ace, in my opinion what these great comments from Cisco amount to, are a true unblemished worst case scenerio. Strip away the spin and this is what fuk is capable of doing, especially if tepco is left in charge.

Hey, cheer up! Maybe BP will start fracking fuk to save us all, and put Texas Brine in charge of the leaks!

edit on 17-8-2013 by Aircooled because: Forgot something.....

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
of course everyone knows that the ice cold rock, when hit by steam,,probably super-heated steam,,will ,,crack or as they say fracture,,,right?
leading too,,let me guess,,,
1. there, cooling the pipes with freon,,pipes rupture,,leads too,,
Freon Gas + radioactive isotopes, manly xyz from mox, which interestingly enough, rumoured at one time too have an affinity for Rare Earth Metals,,but that was just a rumour.
oh ya good luck,, steam on ice,, should be a hoot.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

So I guess what I'm asking is, is that just the worst case scenario? Or is it a probable scenario? Is there a range of possible scenarios, including none of that? And where is the greatest probability on that spectrum?

Thanks. Peace.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

Ya wanna know how bad it is?

This Bad

Unfortunately there is no one better qualified to deal with this than the Russians, despite their own shortcomings'

I think the best chance of success is…that experts around the world drop everything they are doing to work on this problem, and have Russia either lead the containment effort or consult with them closely. They have the most experience, they have decades of data. They took their accident seriously and made a Herculean effort to contain it.

Yea, the world is going to have to rely on the Russians....
How do you say Fuked in Russian?

Mathematically, it is almost impossible to quantify in terms of resulting contamination, and a separate math problem would need to be performed for every nuclear element contained within the fuel, and whether or not that fuel exploded, burned, fissioned, melted, or was doused with water to try to cool it off and poured into the ocean afterward.

Some researchers have even ventured to say that other nuke plants on the east coast of Honshu may need to be evacuated if levels get too high, which will lead to subsequent failures/fires and explosions at these plants as well. Just how profound the effect will be on down-winders in North America, or the entire northern hemisphere for that matter, will literally depend on where the wind blows and where the rain falls, the duration and extent of a nuclear fire or chain-reaction event, and whether or not that reaction becomes self-sustaining. At least the northern half of Japan would be uninhabitable, and some researchers have argued that it already is.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

But how probable are any of those scenarios? How probable is success? I understand that there are a lot of terrible things that can happen, but what I'm not seeing is any sort of realistic, credible gauge of how probable any of those things happening (or perhaps more pertinently, not happening) is. Some reports make it seem as though even the slightest error could result in catastrophe. Is this actually the case, though? Is there any news or professional opinion in terms of the probability of such mistakes and ensuing horror stories actually taking place?

It's so hard for a layperson to judge the reliability and objectivity of some of these reports. For instance, that RT story relies largely on the words of Christina Consolo, who is variously described in various places online as an expert on the Fukushima disaster and as someone conducting research on Chernobyl as a predictor of future similar events.

Yet a look at her LinkedIn page says that her professional background is in Ophthalmology and in particular Ophthalmic photography. She used to be an Ophthalmic tech. She founded a radio show about Fukushima and is "Currently researching the Fukushima Nuclear Disaster & extrapolation of data from Chernobyl as a predictor for fallout and associated long/short health effects and mortality events."Is she qualified to make the assertions she does in the RT article? As a layperson looking at her background, I would be inclined to question that but to say, "I don't know."

That's what I'm getting at. How much of this is hyperbole, how much of it is true, and what is the actual probability that any of the nightmare scenarios people are hinting at could actually occur?

Normally in a situation like this where I don't know enough to be able to tell what's happening and so am skeptical but still concerned, I would say I'm playing the devil's advocate. Except that in this case the "devil" is the one arguing that we won't all shortly potentially live in an irradiated wasteland, so that term doesn't really fit.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
AceWombat - basically no-one knows as far as I can tell. Those who DO know better than others, are keeping very quiet and their head below the parapet. In my opinion it is likely that the two extremes are being reported, nothing and everything and I guess that the truth will play out somewhere in the middle of those two positions.

I recognise a rising panic but that is useless since we can do nothing as individuals except clamour for the government to do something and to send the best men they have. Maybe that is what needs to be done, but we have the media against us. Why? who knows why, but it does look as if the Nuclear Power clan across the world are very powerful and definitely in bed with the government. Some say that they want most of us dead, well if this thing works out badly, then it defitely looks like it. There is the Lousiana Sinkhole too which is another runaway success from their point of view.

As we have said before as things at Fukushima have got worse, make peace with ourself and our loved ones and take each day as it comes, because it could be our last.

Maybe Mr Tritium knows more about it and what the likely outcomes will be, since he has said he works in the industry. I have not seen him on here before, so maybe he is a representative for the Nuclear Industry or maybe just a concerned citizen. It is useful to have a person who currently works at a NPP to give us a different viewpoint and so I hope he will offer some relevant information. Without knowing his background though, we cannot judge the quality and validity of his information until he has posted some more.

But in all nuclear energy is safe if managed properly. Where I work, saftey is priority and I'm proud to work in the nuclear industry.
Unfortunately, the facts dont bear out the sentiment of his first sentence.

edit on 18 Aug 2013 by qmantoo because: yes

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
March 28, 1979 - Three Mile Island
April 26, 1986 - Chernobyl
March 11, 2011 - Fukushima

32 years divided by 3 accidents = every 10.6 years....simple average.

Then throw in the age of the 435 existing reactors...and licenses extended for another 20 to 40 years...

And

over 60 reactors under construction in 13 countries

The probability of another Nuke catastrophe...

And the probability that it will happen in the Spring....

world-nuclear.org...

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
The RT article was very interesting however they seem to talk about just the worst case scenario I'm interested in what the most likely outcome will be,at least RT is reporting on this ,if you check out bbc news all you get Is propaganda about the royal baby and cnn keeps peddling the Middle East propaganda

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
See this Reuters image of R4 and the huge structure they have built to remove the spent fuel. I remember seeing the mock-up in our reference images, posted much earlier in this thread.

What I want to know is - where are they going to put these fuel rod assemblies? Each one is a very radioactive source and I seem to remember that they are going to burst into flames if they are exposed to the air. Now... if they place them on a truck they have to put them in something which is going to keep them cool like in a container and then the guy who drives the truck will be exposed. They will have to either remove these fuel rods from the container at the end of the truck journey or store these containers somewhere 'safe'. Hopefully not all together 'cos they are likely to catch fire in the future (we all know how well TEPCO manage to safely handle dangerous goods) and then they will ALL go up in flames.

Does anyone know what the plan for this moving the fuel rods is going to be? I read somewhere that the NRC has just (early Aug 2013) approved the 'plan' (approval delayed from February) so at least someone knows what is supposed to happen.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by amurphy245
The RT article was very interesting however they seem to talk about just the worst case scenario I'm interested in what the most likely outcome will be,at least RT is reporting on this ,if you check out bbc news all you get Is propaganda about the royal baby and cnn keeps peddling the Middle East propaganda

that is the most likely outcome, worse case, i'm afraid. they don't talk about any earth shattering technology coming to save the day, because there is none, they don't talk about probability's in containing this because they are micro in size. the Russians will be unable to contain this just like everyone of the worlds best, won't be able to contain this.

Fukushima is now and will always be a science experiment and a theory generator because it is uncharted territory, a place we were never supposed to go, but we did.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Qman you know as well as anyone there is no plan to move these rods, there is no tech to move these rods, there is nothing going to move these rods except mother nature, when she's good n ready to.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Dry cask storage maybe? Seems like the safest bet so far if that's possible.

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Actually the tech. exist you basically just need a heavy lift crane that can move back and forth. The problem is if they get stuck while being removed from the racks. Also if the zerconium clading of the rods is ruptured some how it will release its contents. And there is a risk of criticality if the fuel assembiles get to close to each other. So is it possible to remove the fuel? Yes. Is it extremely dangerous and likely to run into problems? Yes. Can TEPCO achieve this with out causing any more major radioactive releases? I Hope. As for Qs question about what they are going to do with it, what can be put in dry cast will. The fresh core in #4 fuel pool will probably be moved to the common spent fuel pool and will be moved last. Their time line is about a year to remove all the fuel from #4 but they will most likely encounter problems so by the time they get to it the whole inventory might be cool enouph for dry cask.
edit on 18-8-2013 by BriGuyTM90 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Not sure if this is posted, checked the past few pages,
didnt see it
Fukushima News 8/10/13: Melted Cores Have Moved Into the Earth
www.youtube.com...

Hope that posted right

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
The video no longer exists....

Surprised?

posted on Aug, 18 2013 @ 12:05 PM