Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1248
<< 1245  1246  1247    1249  1250  1251 >>

join

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by GhostR1der

Now that is the same as the machine in the picture SS posted. Thanks for the great zoom GR.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by matadoor

After looking up the fish that tested high, they appear to either be bottom fishers, or they consume things that are bottom fishers, or did I miss something?

I noticed the same thing.

A little bit of looking in google scholar yields, among other things, the following study:

Fukushima-derived radionuclides in the ocean and biota off Japan

This is a study conducted in June 2011 by members from Department of Marine Chemistry and Geochemistry and Department of Physical Oceanography, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, Stony Brook University, and Atmosphere and Ocean Research Institute, University of Tokyo.

A few excerpts:

A major finding is detection of Fukushima-derived 134Cs and 137Cs throughout waters 30–600 km offshore, with the highest activities associated with near-shore eddies and the Kuroshio Current acting as a southern boundary for transport. Fukushima-derived Cs isotopes were also detected in zooplankton and mesopelagic fish, and unique to this study we also find 110mAg in zooplankton.

Importantly, our data are consistent with higher estimates of the magnitude of Fukushima fallout and direct releases [Stohl et al. (2011) Atmos Chem Phys Discuss 11:28319–28394; Bailly du Bois et al. (2011) J Environ Radioact, 10.1016/j.jenvrad.2011.11.015]. We address risks to public health and marine biota by showing that though Cs isotopes are elevated 10–1,000× over prior levels in waters off Japan, radiation risks due to these radionuclides are below those generally considered harmful to marine animals and human consumers, and even below those from naturally occurring radionuclides.

So these results show that, even though Cs isotopes are ten to a thousand times higher than prior to the accident, the risks are lower than naturally occurring radionuclides,

But wait, there's more:

Though considerable data have been released in Japanese reports regarding the concentration of selected radionuclides in the air, soil, and coastal discharge sites, large uncertainties remain, including even the magnitude of total atmospheric releases (6) and direct discharges (7). There is also little information on radionuclide distributions offshore to help assess contamination and transport in the North Pacific and for independent confirmation of whether the levels are of human health concern.
emphases mine

So, are the levels in the Pacific dangerous to animals and humans or aren't they? The seem to be saying that they are not dangerous on one hand but at the same time seem to be saying that they might be because they aren't sure of the exact amount that was released.

For anyone still clinging to the notion that Turdco and/or JapGov are honest in their reporting of released contaminants, I present the following:

The source of the 110mAg measured in zooplankton is unclear; no direct releases to the coastal ocean have been reported, but soils collected near the power plants did show trace levels of 110mAg (11).
emphasis mine

What about all of the "official" measurements showing "ND" for Cs?

Second, though elevated, substantial dilution had occurred between the discharge channels at the Fukushima Dai-ichi NPPs, where 137Cs activities averaged 33,000 Bq⋅m−3 in June (5) and our closest samples 30 km offshore, which were on average 50× lower (600–800 Bq⋅m−3). Our Cs activities are thus consistent with the Japanese reporting in June “below detection” for 134Cs and 137Cs 30 km off-shore [Japanese Ministry of Education, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT)], because their methods had a higher detection limit of 10,000 Bq⋅m−3 (5).
emphasis mine

Finally, to tie this in with the recent fish report linked by PC (HUGE thanks to you for keeping up with these), we have the following:

However, the salt and fresh water used to cool the Fukushima NPPs and acidic conditions in the core provide possible pathways to mobilize refractory radionuclides from the core that may have subsequently been discharged to the ocean but have yet to be assessed. Ultimately, though the radionuclide levels of 137Cs and 134Cs offshore are currently low with respect to human health effects, any assessment of radiation dose should also consider long-term exposure if the NPP remains a continued source of radionuclides (5) and if, as has been reported, coastal sediments are contaminated with multiple radionuclides.
emphasis mine

As we can see, this study conducted in June seems to say that all is hunkey dorey, but if we read deeper we see that that they are hedging and indicating that there might be more to look at in this.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by matadoor

LOL Mat! My purple chive flowers are blooming again - not me!

Tried to upload pic for my avatar and couldn't get it to work...sigh...

Anyhow thanks for the chuckle!!

- Purple Chive

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

France's Areva offers to reprocess spent Fukushima fuel

French nuclear energy giant Areva on Friday offered to reprocess in France some of the spent nuclear fuel currently in cooling pools at Japan's stricken Fukushima plant.

"We have proposed that France play a role in withdrawing" the spent fuel, Areva chief executive Luc Oursel told journalists in Tokyo.

www.google.com...

Restarting of reactors other than Oi before summer unlikely

Industry minister Yukio Edano suggested Friday that it would be difficult to restart reactors other than two offline reactors at the Oi nuclear power plant in Fukui Prefecture before the summer, given the delay in establishing a new nuclear regulatory agency.

On the reactivation of reactors other than the two at Oi, Edano told a press conference, "I think we should wait for the launch of the new regulatory agency." Asked if it would be difficult to restart the remaining reactors before the summer, he said, "It would be as you can imagine."

Since the Fukushima nuclear crisis triggered by the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami, no Japanese reactors have resumed operation after being shut down for mandatory periodic checks, and the two Oi reactors are the first being considered for reactivation by the central government. Among reactors other than the two operated by Kansai Electric Power Co., the government's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency approved the results of the first round of reactor stress tests on the No. 3 reactor of Shikoku Electric Power Co.'s Ikata plant in Ehime Prefecture in March. But the Nuclear Safety Commission has yet to check the agency's evaluation, a process necessary for resuming operation of reactors idled for routine checkups.

www.power-eng.com...

3 Fukushima farmers seeking 3.4 billion yen for decontamination ask for mediation

Three rice farmers in Nihonmatsu, Fukushima Prefecture, and elsewhere on April 20 asked for mediation for an out-of-court settlement as they seek around 3.4 billion yen for field decontamination fees and other purposes.

The farmers asked for mediation from a center for settling disputes on compensation for nuclear-related losses. The three farm 10 to 40 hectares of land located 57 to 82 kilometers from the Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant

mainichi.jp...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
We seem to have some more trouble at the other end of Japan.
fukushima-diary.com...

fukushima-diary.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

Holy crap, that does not look good. Nuclear waste stored there

Here is another thing I found while on that site

Mutated dandelion in Tokyo

Look at that thing!
fukushima-diary.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Weird - I'm not finding much on any of the Japanese news sites about this blast...

A small blip on NHK:

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Kinda makes ya wonder...

Found this on Ex-Skf:
ex-skf.blogspot.com...

- Purple Chive
edit on 22-4-2012 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

The silence speaks volumes.

The complex is still on fire, and 3379 units of radioactive waste (200L in each unit) and Uranium for nuclear fuel are preserved in the site.

Blast wave broke windows far away, that's one hell of an explosion. Apparently it was a lightning strike according to enenews comments.

Considering this is ATS, we know they sure as hell need a reason to explain why the cancer rate increase will be the same in South Japan, after all the burning of radioactive waste.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I wonder what "chemicals" have exploded

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
A lightning strike that just happened to hit a site containing over half a million litres of radioactive waste, coincidentally the event takes place just over a year after the start of Japan's ongoing major nuclear disaster...

I'm extremely troubled about what the future holds for the people of Japan.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
A map of the plant. A is the blast. Circled areas are where the urainium is thought to be.
2nd explosion also.

fukushima-diary.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
raining here in eastern PA today, back ground is up in my home to around 50 CPM (35 NORMAL), did a rain swipe off of the hood of my car and it's at 150 CPM.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Me too. Friday night at midnight, here in easter Ontario.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

Unit 2: Pressure Keeps Going Up

Don't know if this is a good or bad thing?
March 26:

13.15 kPa g

March 31:

20.59 kPa g

April 2:

19.64 kPa g

April 3:

22.95 kPa g

April 4:

23.84 kPa g

24.70 kPa g

26.28kPa g (as of 11:00 , 4/6 )

29.12kPa g (as of 11:00 , 4/11 )

29.64kPa g (as of 11:00 , 4/16 )

30.64kPa g (as of 11:00 , 4/18 )

31.64kPa g (as of 11:00 , 4/19 )

37.64kPa g (as of 11:00 , 4/23 )

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive
edit on 23-4-2012 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Pics of Unit 4

photo.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   

"Glue" Factory Explosion

the plant, which makes glue for wood and tires,

The plant had 3,400 drums of used catalytic agent containing radioactive materials on the premises, but the explosions did not appear to have any effect on radiation levels. The radioactive agent is harmless to people, Mitsui Chemicals claimed.

Wonder if the tires and wood are radioactive?

Of course it is harmless...

- Purple Chive

edit on 23-4-2012 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Annual Radiation Doses Until the March 2032

ajw.asahi.com...

- Purple Chive

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Rad Analysis of Water

www.tepco.co.jp...

www.tepco.co.jp...

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Video of R3 shield plug inspection

Unusual video. Worker walks in through R3 then places inspection scope into PCV shield plug gaps, to check water deposition, weird blue glow can be seen at the start. I doubt it's radioactive or the worker would probably have died right then and there. Note the 'veiny' looking black lines to the left of the main cesium/rust/bacteria stain, very unusual. I wonder if they are bacterial or not.

Obviously the design basis for a 'hydrogen' explosion was far exceeded, as proven by the whole damn plug moving out of sealed position. No way it'd be open during operation. Be like leaving the radiator cap off your car.
This said, it also further confirms main source for the explosion came within R3 PCV. If it was only an underground explosion via access elevators, external to PCV, the cap would have not pushed outwards.

posted on Apr, 23 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Great pic's Purple. ATS won't let me star ya twice. lol... Looking west. The guys are fishing in the #4 reactor well. You can see our 5th floor "Thing" behind the photo-op stooges {Top left} and how much smaller it is than the yellow cap. Also the way the floor is squeezing it.

"I think I see a quarter down there"

And looking north...we have netting over the sfp. Maybe to catch falling debris and hide the pool. The guys on the left are standing on the covered, blown out North-south center wall. The reactor well is ahead and on the right, past those workers on the bridge.

The reactor would be under this green bridge, yes?

top topics

<< 1245  1246  1247    1249  1250  1251 >>

join