It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1229.htm
<< 1226  1227  1228    1230  1231  1232 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
haha - this is classic !!
The scarring on the reactor wall is a bird turd on the window of the bus!! As is the 'birds' flying in the sky to the left which to me look like there is a man hang-gliding out to sea.
(sorry - it suddenly occurred to me that this is what it is and it cracked me up.)
Tell me if you dont agree please. :-) The orange mist is a reflection of the man's tunic/clothes in the window.

On another note - a pdf

Situation of Storage and Treatment of Accumulated Water including Highly Concentrated Radioactive Materials at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station (37th Release) March 7, 2012

March 7th
We continue the observation of the concerned device.
· At 5:00 am on March 7, the temperature of the lower part of the RPV
(top of the lower head 135°) : approximate 42.5 °C
· At 5:00 am on March 7, the temperature of the lower part of the RPV
(top of the lower head 270°) : approximate 40.3 °C (Reference)

On March 7, 2012, we have conducted sampling of charcoal filter and
particulate filter of PCV gas management system.

March 8th (one tenth of a degree change... yeah right)

Taken from this 8th March 2012 press release here
The Tepco underlined part has been updated from the previous reports.

Through the
investigation, we confirmed the concerned device is soundness. We
submitted the report on the soundness of concerned device and the
alternative method for monitoring temperature inside the Reactor of
Unit 2 at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station to NISA on March 1.
We continue the observation of the concerned device.
· At 5:00 am on March 8, the temperature of the lower part of the RPV
(top of the lower head 135°) : approximate 42.4 °C
· At 5:00 am on March 8, the temperature of the lower part of the RPV
(top of the lower head 270°) : approximate 40.3 °C (Reference)

At 1:25 pm on March 6, 2012, the spent fuel pool desalting facility was
stopped automatically because of an alert caused by increase of water
level of waste water treatment tank. All Isolation valves of desalting
facilities were closed by the interlock, and the alternative cooling
system continues operation. Therefore, there is no influence on cooling.
In addition, as a result of the on-site confirmation, no leakage of
liquid was confirmed. According to our investigation, we confirmed that
the increase of the water level had occurred because of the water
supply to the waste water treatment tank exceeded the drainage volume,
after the treated water by the reverse osmosis membrane unit of the
facility continued to increase because of the purification of the water
supplied to the facility had proceeded. At 4:04 pm on March 7, we
restarted the facility and conducted a test operation, and as there was
no problem, we started regular operation at 5:06 pm on the same day.

edit on 8 Mar 2012 by qmantoo because: added press release snippit

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I just wanted to add to the pool of knowledge and possible preventative measures, I heard magnetic clay baths are a very powerful tool for removing heavy metals from the skin... Great way to make up for those days we all got stuck in the rain?

I made another thread here if you want to read more (see links, etc.)...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Another worker sick (like it has nothing to do with any radiation)

- On March 7, we conducted dust sampling at Unit 2 Reactor Building Opening
(Blowout panel).
- At 1:48 pm on March 7, we started transferring accumulated water from the
basement of Turbine Building of Unit 3 to Centralized Waste Treatment
Facilities (Process Main Building)

- At 1:55 pm on March 7, we started transferring accumulated water from the
basement of Turbine Building of Unit 2 to Centralized Waste Treatment
Facilities (Process Main Building)

· Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power Station:
Units 1 to 4: shutdown due to the earthquake

- At around 1:55 pm on March 7, at the first basement of Heat Exchanger Building* of Unit 1 (non controlled area) a partner companies' worker found another worker who was engaged in repair work of insulation material of piping was lying. After that, at 2:36 pm on the same day, we requested the helicopter emergency medical service (called "Doctor Heli"). The worker retained consciousness and suffered no external injury. In addition, we confirmed no radioactive materials were adhered to the worker's body
* Heat Exchanger Building: The building installed heat elimination facility by using seawater or coolant water.

hidden away at the bottom of the page
Appendix: Past Progress (As of 3:00 pm on March 7, 2012) (PDF 468KB)
Appendix: Past Progress (From March 11, 2011 to July 31, 2011) (PDF 225KB)

Revised past progress

6th March images of the dismantling of #4
Press Release image 1 of crane dismantling #4
Press Release image 2 of crane dismantling #4
Press Release image 3 of crane dismantling #4
Press Release image 4 of crane dismantling #4
Press Release image 5 of crane dismantling #4
Press Release image 6 of crane dismantling #4
Press Release image 7 of crane dismantling #4
Press Release image 8 of crane dismantling #4
Press Release image 9 of crane dismantling #4

edit on 8 Mar 2012 by qmantoo because: images added

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Unit 4 Reactor Saved by Mishap?

Kinda deepens the mystery of Unit 4 all the more...

ajw.asahi.com...

In reality, however, a displaced separator gate between the spent fuel storage pool and the adjoining reactor well apparently created an opening, allowing about 1,000 tons of water to flow from the reactor well into the storage pool, it was learned later.

- Purple Chive
edit on 8-3-2012 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Interesting....

Nuckelchen capture:

- Purple Chive

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Unit 1 & 3 Water Levels

Rather erratic lately...

www.tepco.co.jp...

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by matadoor
reply to post by Purplechive

Sorry PC, had some medical issues to attend to the past day or so, like Z, so I've had little time to read and digest..

Mat...sorry I missed your post...dang, please get better!! Losing you and Z...whew...you both contribute so much!! Hope you and Z get well soon!!

- Purple Chive

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Unit 3: Xeon-135...Very Close to Recriticality

【Unit 3】 On March 8, we sampled the gas of the system. The analysis results showed that xenon-135 at the inlet of the system was below the detection limit (9.8×10-2Bq/cm3) and we confirmed that it is below the re-criticality criterion which is 1 Bq/cm3.

They are rounding it just below the limit....really damn close!!!

Xe-135 Detectible Limit 1.0 x 10-1 Half Life About 9 Hours

1.0 x 10-1= 1 * (10^(-1)) = 0.1

9.8 × (10^(-2)) = 0.098

www.tepco.co.jp...

www.tepco.co.jp...

Latest temp and water level readings:

www.tepco.co.jp...

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive
edit on 9-3-2012 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Hay all you whistle blowers, truth sayers and diggers... wass sup? I been reading what you diggers have been bringing and I just gotta say... Here, here, well done. I hope you all make Tepco CEO's shorts itch. You know that kind of itch you can never scratch? That 18 wheeler skid mark I been wearin em too long kind of itch?

I hope all is well as can be with everyone. I want to bring some stuff from the raw data you all been presenting. I can see there are some questions about the status of the reactors here today just shy of the one year anniversary.

Trying to find out the data from Tepco reports is a lesson in Shuck and JIve, and the Main stream Media is relatively useless as far as it goes. But you precious guys have gleaned things and found some other stuff that we can make some sense of. Thankyou... bless you.

Stay tuned... I'll be back.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
So here we are one year later. What is up with #2 reactor? According to Tepco it is in "cold shutdown" (whatever that means). A misnomer really. According to their own tables, there are still "anomalies" :

Temp #2

The madness of the "accident" is at far left. Followed by an "event" around May last year involving the bottom of the Control Rod Housing (CRD) in red. Then a slow "cooling down" period with minor grumbles until this year. About halfway thru January the temperature in at least two sensors began to spike. Although the media picked up on it briefly, Tepco press damage control kicked in and everyone went back to sleep. Now it is March and the data here on FUKU thread continues to reflect not only temperature spikes but changes in pressure and releases of steam captured on video. You notice that Tepco hasn't claimed additional sensor failure? They are "monitoring the situation".

Cold shutdown indeed. All this activity is taking place below the bottom of the reactor core vessel (RCV), in the Reactor Pressure Vessel (RPV -green) and in the Reactor Control Rod section (CRD - red). This picture from the same table shows the location of the sensors that have been "acting up":

Spikes of temperature hotter than your oven at home first showed in red (RCD) and then shortly after the green (RPV) spiked as well. If temperatures are spiking to hundreds of degrees Fahr., then it is absolutely certain that molten fuel (corium) has sunk below the containment of the core vessel. and further that it is still hot and "emitting" steam and other stuff... since March of last year.

We know Tepco's position on it. They announced an instrument failure and switched sensors to reflect another nearby T/C. Back to normal cold shut down status? Wrong! At the end of the readings on the chart we can see that other sensors at the bottom of the reactor are beginning to act up as well. Stay tuned. The source of heat at the bottom of the reactor in #2 is not from Grandma baking cookies.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
So the next thing the brave lads at Tepco do is put endoscopes into #2 to see what is going on. This video is marvelous. Press releases are lies, charts are dry, but a few frames of video can be revealing. An older look down the throat of #2. It is from an industrial endoscope that is being hand pushed by brave lads thru a feed thru into the reactor core. Once thru, the endoscope swings to look down the dragons throat. Core water spray and thousands of gamma strikes (the dragons breath) can be seen on screen:

Did you see the thermocouple cable housing in the access pipe and blurry cable extending downward out of sight? Thats one of the temporary Thermocouple (T/C) shielded cables they installed. It dangles loosely and is newer looking than all the other crusty pipes. These are replacement T/Cs they have surely been using and they look clean, well shielded and intact. Probably work just fine. When they fail, they are replaced. Here's a link someone here brought showing the procedure they used and diagram for entering #2:

Thermocouple and Endoscope

A shot of a reactor under construction. Various feedthrus pipes are visible jutting out from the inverted lightbulb pot belly stove.

Look at the YouTube video up top again. Does anyone else see the steam billowing upwards? That is coming from below. There is no visible water level. They left the core spray system on during filming to keep the "dust down" and cool the corium slag pile down there. Ever sprayed your face with a spray bottle on a hot day? That spray is falling to the bottom of the reactor and running thru whatever holes exist to find the corium slag pile and flash into steam. Which then rises up and out somewhere. We know because charts of reactor pressure show that the inside of the reactor is at or about one atmosphere. Maybe a little higher. Like pursing your lips and blowing. Get it?

There are videos of steam billowing out you guys have brought. Not sure where the stuff is coming from (#2 or #3), but is telling. I think it is a recent one? During the time line of spikes that we see in #2? Correct me If I am wrong about this...

Continued...

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I know you guys have seen this stuff before, so sorry if I rehash old data. What these videos reveal gives us a visible truth as opposed to the party line that Tepco keeps spewing. Here are some screen shots:

The reactor core wall is visible to the left. It appears to be coated with all the minerals deposited on it from spraying seawater over the past year. Then there are the "empty" fuel racks. Streaks of light are water droplets from the core spray system. This is inside the core looking down. Those fuel racks are uncovered and they are empty. Then again it could just be a picture of a step ladder or tool box with drawers missing. The videographer seems to be focusing on these "racks". You tell me.

Another one showing fuzzy detail of the Thermocouple (T/C) cable stretching below:

The T/C cable disappears from view. Down to the bottom of what used to be a reactor. Down where the dragon lay...

Wish we could see footage of that. This stuff is edited, we know we are just being teased with portions of it. Why don't they turn off the spray for better viewing? Could it be they are afraid for the sudden upward rush of steam that would result? Or the levels of rads that workers may be exposed to? The core spray system is an emergency response to no water in the core. So they anticipated this contingency when they built the damn things. Lot of good it is doing now. Might as well be pissing on a volcano. Heres the vid...

Does it appear there is no water level here? Just a constant core spray system pouring seawater(?) down into the bottom and out... for a year? Periodic spikes of temperature in here with steam and slight pressure rise lead us to believe...that tons(?) of fuel are below somewhere, still reacting.

Building #2 did not explode like the others, right?. I think the hole in the side facing the sea prevented the buildup of gasses that could have resulted in that. It still melted down however. The internal works shown here are relatively intact I would say for such an event. I don't know what the metal alloys they used are made of for the racks and stuff. Molybdenum, tungsten and others are hi temp application for furnace and jet engine turbines, etc..

Temps in the core surely rose to furnace like during the evaporation, burn off of zirconium fuel cladding and melt of the fuel at the bottom during "criticality". Since the fuel racks are above where the hi heat of corium formation occurred, then I would not expect the racks to melt the way they did in the fuel ponds. And we do see them here. Empty of course. We can only see a portion of the racks and have no way (yet) of knowing how much fuel melted down. Likely most of it. The bottom of the core vessel and RPV are concave so as to pool whatever metals flow down there. That means there is a huge mass (tons?) of stuff down there somewhere, all covered in slag, staying warm despite the water they trickle on it like rain.

When the gasses inside this protective cocoon of slag build up enough there is a cavitation at some point and a collapse of the roof of the slag onto the still hot mass, resulting in a woosh of steam and gasses upward that produces the temp spikes we see on the charts. Each spike or event is indicative of a collapse and spurt of stuff. Thats why the chart looks like it does with the up and down track. I Expect this current trend of events to slowly decrease in temperature and interval.

But one reactor here. And the least savaged of all. What is up with the others down below their respective bottom heads is for us and the rest of the world to find out. Whew... I'm out.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Unit 2 & 3 Gas Sampling Results...

You decide...

www.tepco.co.jp...

www.tepco.co.jp...

Great posts Intrptr...thanks, was getting a little lonely on the thread...

- Purple Chive

edit on 10-3-2012 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Ariel Pictures

Interesting photos on page 8 and 9...translate seems to do with fire breaks.

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

Unit 2 & 3 Gas Sampling Results...

You decide...

www.tepco.co.jp...

www.tepco.co.jp...

Great posts Intrptr...thanks, was getting a little lonely on the thread...

- Purple Chive

Hey purple chive, thanks for that compliment. I drop of the radar sometimes because it is hard for me to dwell on this subject for very long. I think others feel the same way at times. To people who care this is a huge issue. it affects them deeply precisely because they care so much.

I think you are one of these and I wanted to thank you for the diligent work you do here. I know whenever I stick my nose in that I will see a Purplechive post that is going to inform me of something. Others too. Don't get lonely on your perch. You are like the messenger of old that sits up high on a rock outcrop sending messages to others far way with smoke and fire signals. You never know who you are reaching. And it can feel lonely.

I'm reading you though. Like this one about the rare gas samples in the reactors. I read their (blubco) reports and I always get a snicker the way they word things. The report shows (barely?) detectable limits of short half life elements indicative of fresh releases from these "cold shutdown" cores. Then they hide behind their usual doublespeak that even in english needs a scientist, linguist and comedian to translate:

*-1: As the same level of density is confirmed at the outlet of Unit 2 under the same condition, we assume that the capture rate of rare gas to the charcoal filter is same. Therefore we use the highest rate of the Unit2 in the past. (Reference) Values before using the rate of capture of rare gas...

Did they just say that they are reporting old data as new data? Gotta love it. Heres another:

Cs-137 which may exist as particle is detected. However, result of gas vial container will diverse as volume of sampled particles are very small and so the sampled particles diverse, and so it is not suitable to survey the low density particulate nuclides. Therefore, we evaluate rare gas (Kr, Xe and etc) that is expected to exist in uniform in gas control system.

LOL, This one is even better. "The tiny particles are soooo small and very hard to measure so we expect to assume the result???" Double speak award goes too...

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

Ariel Pictures

Interesting photos on page 8 and 9...translate seems to do with fire breaks.

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

We can translate this? Yah, pictures are revealing. I took two snap shot. A "before" and "after" showing the fields nearby. The "before":

And "after":

Before the meltdown, fields and towns nearby the reactor complex were rich and well kept. Afterwards they are abandoned and fallow. All those interrupted lives... so sad.

This is the real disaster. If nuke facilities weren't there, all those farmers could have gone on with their lives as before the quake. Grrrrrr...

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

"It appears to be coated with all the minerals deposited on it from spraying seawater over the past year. "

If memory serves, and trust me at times I start to wonder with this crisis, the sea water has not been used in quite awhile, in fact it's supposed to be a closed (with some leaks and run-off to deal with hourly) filtered water system now.

Besides that, excellent posts!!
edit on 10-3-2012 by matadoor because: Because I wasn't very polite.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by matadoor

Thankyou matadoor. I wonder the same thing myself about where the water is going. That is a subject they don't cover much. If you have something that shows how they manage recirculation when the bottom of the swimming pool has a hole in it...

I try to glean info from their yada yada reports and grade school diagrams... like this one for instance:

See the bottom with the blue line pointing down? How do you interpret that? I guess they reveal or know as much as we about the details of what is happening right there (at the bottom). Very highly dangerous place to get to and take pictures right now. And each reactor is different. I see a question mark on their faces, but that ain't saying they know or not.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
One more great report from MsMilky + friends.

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Quick question... How do I convert PDF pages (8&9) to *.jpg, so I can translate them? Or could anyone possibly U2U me an image file that I can open with paint? (Not the best with this stuff, my apologies!)

top topics

<< 1226  1227  1228    1230  1231  1232 >>

join