It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1158.htm
<< 1155  1156  1157    1159  1160  1161 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Dear ATS Society

I just watched NHK World Service news. They told on air that the Japaneses Gvmt will announce all reactors that have had a meltdown as having stopped cold. The core temperatures having dropped below 100 degrees C. Are there any scientific data to confirm, or disprove such a claim? They also mentioned that this made their Phase Two complete. Now could this be true? I'd sure like to think so, the whole Fukushima issue is very worrying, even in Russia. Too much information from very conflicting sources for my likes.

Kind Regards
RuMet
edit on 15/12/2011 by RumET because: Some minor sentence adjustments.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
A press conference with the journalist who took that shakey, blurry film. The translation isn't great but his translater helps. Some interesting bits about Toshiba and Hitachi not telling eachother, what is going on in the different reactors.

Welcome back WW.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbrtj

It is here!!!

Tsunami debris landing on Washington coast as we speak.
I put a warning out on my facebook page. Pray parents keep the kids out of it and do not drag it home.
Rbrtj

I really think/ hope that the Tsunami-Rubble is not contaminated in terms of Waste-Management,
surprised i am that the US or the Canadians not already send Ships for a Check Up because
when i fly with a Plane they look for so much stuff incl. Radioactivity!

A lot of the Stuff is from the Sanriku Coast
en.wikipedia.org...
But it is difficult to calculate the Contamination,
they should the Coastguard now!

Regards

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by RumET
Dear ATS Society

I just watched NHK World Service news. They told on air that the Japaneses Gvmt will announce all reactors that have had a meltdown as having stopped cold. The core temperatures having dropped below 100 degrees C. Are there any scientific data to confirm, or disprove such a claim? They also mentioned that this made their Phase Two complete. Now could this be true? I'd sure like to think so, the whole Fukushima issue is very worrying, even in Russia. Too much information from very conflicting sources for my likes.

Kind Regards
RuMet
edit on 15/12/2011 by RumET because: Some minor sentence adjustments.

While it's true that the exact temperature of the core can't be measured, the measurements taken from the 21 places that they can measure indicate that the temperature has dropped to stable levels under 100 degrees C. Most (if not all) of those temperature readings have been under 100 degrees since August. That's about as high a degree of certainty that the core is cold as we're likely to get.

Some people will still claim it's melting, despite all evidence to the contrary, because they don't like the source of the data. There's no convincing some people.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

The ones in my photo are a fair bit bigger than the grain car. These are on the ground, and if you zoom in on the dark items in the background in the left portion of the image, you will see standard 90,000 gallon tanker cars.

The cylindrical objects are about double the diameter and a third to half again as long as a taker car.

Location is the Port of Galveston and has been for the past couple of months at least. I'm pretty observant, so I would have noticed these almost immediately.

The bottoms are reminiscent of cargo containers that can be stacked as for transport on a cargo ship or put on a tractor trailer and hauled on a road, but these are a lot bigger than a cargo container...
edit on 16-12-2011 by jadedANDcynical because: can't type worth a crap

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Broken pump shaft found in coolant system at Genkai nuclear plant

FUKUOKA, Dec. 16, Kyodo

english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/12/131961.html

The operator of the Genkai nuclear power plant in Saga Prefecture that leaked coolant water last week reported to the prefectural government on Friday that it has found a broken pump shaft in the primary coolant system for the plant's No. 3 reactor, local government officials said.

About 1.8 tons of coolant water containing radioactive materials was found to have leaked on Dec. 9 from a joint in a pump used to purify primary coolant water for the reactor of the seaside plant in the southwestern Japan prefecture.

But the operator, Kyushu Electric Power Co., did not disclose the incident immediately, only reporting to the local government that a rise in temperature at the base of one of the pipes in the purification system to 80 C or above had triggered an alarm.

Kyushu Electric said later that it did not disclose the leakage because the water had not leaked outside the purification system.

The No. 3 reactor, one of four units at the plant, has been idled due to regular maintenance along with two others. The remaining reactor in operation is set to go offline later this month.

Copyright 2011 Kyodo News

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Chronology of major events in Fukushima nuclear crisis

TOKYO, Dec. 16, Kyodo

english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/12/131963.html

The following is a chronology of events regarding the nuclear crisis at Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in Fukushima Prefecture, which was triggered by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

March 11 -- Magnitude 9.0 earthquake and subsequent tsunami cripple plant, resulting in complete loss of power at Nos. 1-4 reactor facilities. Government declares nuclear emergency, directing residents in 3-kilometer radius of plant to evacuate.

March 12 -- Prime Minister Naoto Kan inspects plant. Radioactive steam is vented from No. 1 reactor. Hydrogen explosion rips through No. 1 reactor building. Government expands evacuation zone to 10-km radius of plant, then to 20-km radius.

March 14 -- Hydrogen explosion rocks No. 3 reactor building.

March 15 -- Explosion is heard near No. 2 reactor's suppression chamber. No. 4 reactor building is also damaged.

March 17 -- Ground Self-Defense Force helicopters drop water on No. 3 reactor building. Fire engines spray water from ground.

March 20 -- Nos. 5-6 reactors achieve cold shutdown.

March 24 -- 3 workers are exposed to elevated levels of radiation at No. 3 reactor's turbine building.

April 2 -- Highly radioactive water is confirmed flowing into sea through a cracked pit form No. 2 reactor.

April 4 -- TEPCO begins dumping relatively low-level radioactive water into sea.

April 12 -- Government raises crisis severity level to highest 7 on international scale, on par with 1986 Chernobyl disaster.

April 17 -- Government, TEPCO announce two-step road map to bring crisis under control.

April 22 -- Government designates 20-km radius of plant as no-go zone, while setting 20-30 km ring around plant as areas that need to be evacuated in further emergencies. Some areas outside 20-km radius are also designated as evacuation zone.

June 7 -- Government admits meltdown at reactor cores of Nos. 1-3 units.

June 27 -- TEPCO starts cooling damaged reactors using water decontaminated through newly installed water treatment system.

July 19 -- Government, TEPCO say step 1 in road map is largely completed, revise conditions for completing step 2 and containing crisis.

Sept. 8 -- Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda visits plant for 1st time.

Sept. 19 -- Nuclear disaster minister Goshi Hosono announces at International Atomic Energy Agency meeting plan to bring forward cold shutdown deadline to year-end from original mid-January 2012.

Sept. 28 -- Temperatures at bottom of pressure vessels of reactors No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 fall below boiling point for water for 1st time.

Sept. 30 -- Government lifts designation of evacuation preparation zone.

Nov. 4 -- Government decides to provide 891 billion yen to TEPCO to help pay massive compensation.

Nov. 28 -- TEPCO announces plant chief Masao Yoshida's sick leave, replacement.

Dec. 2 -- TEPCO unveils interim report on in-house investigation blaming only tsunami for accident.

Dec. 16 -- Government declares cold shutdown at plant, step 2 in road map complete.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
@ Zworld,
for your chronology:

According to the committee's earlier findings this past summer, Masao Yoshida, the former chief of the damaged Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant, had supervised emergency efforts immediately after the crisis began

without knowing that the isolation condenser of the No. 1 reactor had shut down

According to the committee's most recent findings, engineers operating the Fukushima No. 1 plant had stopped the high-pressure coolant injection (HPCI) system of the No. 3 reactor -- which was the final chance at cooling the reactor -- without authorization from higher ups. The main issue here is that TEPCO was not adequately prepared for such a crisis, forcing engineers to take such action based on their own judgment.

mdn.mainichi.jp...

With the Plant now claimed stable i think they should focus on the Investigation,
this is a real crazy story and lookes even more strange every day!

I was speaking with my Neighbors, 3 very noisy old Baba-Sans,
they laughed when we talked about the cold shutdown

But maybe i will drink a Beer or Hot Sake and try to sleep this night
without watching every 90min on to Tepco-Cam

I need to change my rude behavior

edit on 16-12-2011 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
U.S. firms can join cleanup work around Fukushima plant: U.S. official

TOKYO, Dec. 16, Kyodo

english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/12/132004.html

Visiting U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Thomas Nides said Friday that U.S. enterprises stand ready to take part in Japan's efforts to decommission crippled reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant and decontaminate areas around the plant.

"We've offered the assistance. There are many U.S. companies who will be willing to assist" the cleanup work, he told a press conference at the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo.

Nides also said that he was "very pleased to hear" the Japanese government's announcement Friday that the plant has achieved a stable state of cold shutdown.

Nides, who visited Japan in April with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, said the U.S. military's relief operations following the March earthquake and tsunami -- Operation Tomodachi -- helped make bilateral ties between the two countries stronger.

Asked about the feasibility of the relocation plan of the U.S. Marine Corps' Futenma Air Station in Okinawa Prefecture, he said, "I'm confident we will be able to achieve that, and we will work very closely with the Japanese government to get this executed quickly."

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Reply to Vox2442

Some people will still claim it's melting, despite all evidence to the contrary, because they don't like the source of the data. There's no convincing some people.
No, you are correct, there isn't.

How do you account for the continuing release of radioactive elements such as I131 ? Ones with short half-lifes must come from something core-like and they cannot appear out of thin air.

I accept that the reported temperatures are below 100C but as others have said, when you measure the temperature and the heat-source is nowhere near the measuring instrument, then of course the temperature will be low.

If you want to believe that cold shutdown has been achieved, then you have to ignore the ongoing emissions or explain them away somehow. Furthermore, if TEPCO and the Japanese government really wanted to convince the world of this true state of cold shutdown, they should start being more open and honest with their information and photographs. It is the constant secrecy and misinformation which makes people suspect they are hiding something rather large and very nasty.

So.. it seems that it is you who will not be convinced.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

Actually that should read 'some people will believe it's in cold shutdown, despite all the evidence to the contrary, because they refuse to try and understand the concept of meltdown'.

ON EDIT: or melt through or China syndrome or any of the other descriptors that apply.

edit on 16-12-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This is a sad day indeed. I am going to go into the mountains and pray for us all.

Noda has stated that not only was cold shutdown achieved, but the nuclear accident is over and we can all sigh a big sigh of relief. And the US agrees and says that is just so great and if you need to buy anything from us for the recovery thats already finished, please dont hesitate to ask.

And the clincher is NISA now claiming that there hasnt been any leaks into the ocean from the plant. In the past or in the future. It was all a bad dream we had and we can now wake up and go back to the regularly scheduled programming. Oh look......everybody loves Raymond

Anyone who isnt infuriated by all of this has their head so far in the sand they are doing their own version of the China syndrome. Hopefully they will keep their heads there so those of us with the hearts and minds to know better can continue the work at hand.

FUG EM ALL, FUG EM ALL, FUG EM ALL he shouted as he threw his coffee mug against the wall and watched the pieces settle on the ground.

If its war they want, its war they got.

ON EDIT: And for anyone in the US that hasnt figured this out yet, Obama is in bed, one more corporate lackey, and the election coming up is a sham. A farce. A joke. we had a chance to start a third party and capture the 60% of voters that arent going to vote this election, and turn the tide once and for all.

Instead we are going to vote for one of two corporate lapdogs, busy licking the shoes of their masters. And new nuke plants will spring up here there and everywhere. Safe nuclear. Lies, damned lies and politicians. Its all the same, same as it ever was, same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

Scotty, where the fug are you when I really need you.

edit on 16-12-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Today's jet stream model.

And the link.
virga.sfsu.edu...
And tomorrows jet stream model

And the link. Bookmark for future reference.
www.weatherimages.org...
On the shutdown. If their shutdown is so cold, and the sea so undamaged, they would invite Greenpeace in to verify. The first thing anybody should think of such an announcement would be "Consider the source" and their track record. Tepco/Japan goverment/NISA. [Insert favorite monkey joke here!]

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Yep! Things look just tickety-boo at fuk.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Major newspapers skeptical Fukushima accident has been contained

TOKYO, Dec. 17, Kyodo

english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/12/132070.html

Major Japanese newspapers expressed Saturday skepticism about the government's announcement that the accident at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant triggered by the March 11 quake and tsunami has been contained.

"The reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station may have become stable but can we say 'the accident has been contained?" said the Nihon Keizai Shimbun. "The government's judgment should be challenged to ensure the safety of residents and workers involved."

The business daily cited a lack of measures to check the nuclear fuel believed to have melted in the reactor system to see if it is below 100 C, a condition for cold shutdown. It is "like guessing the shape of a foot by touching the shoe covering it," it said.

It also noted that radioactive substances, though in trace amounts, continue to be released into the air as reactors Nos. 3 and 4 remain uncovered. "We believe it logical to declare that the accident is contained when leaks are stopped completely," it said.

The Asahi Shimbun and the Mainichi Shimbun also took issue with the inability to directly check the temperature inside the damaged reactors. "What it is like inside can only be determined from numerical data gathered with measuring devices," the Asahi Shimbun said.

"Under such circumstances, we could say that we have moved out of the critical situation that had continued since its outbreak, but there is little evidence for us to proudly declare that 'the accident has been contained'," the Asahi Shimbun said.

The Mainichi Shimbun said it "raises a great deal of suspicion" describing the containment of a serious accident where the cores of three reactors have melted as "a cold shutdown." A cold shutdown "indicates the state of suspension of a sound reactor," it said.

The Yomiuri Shimbun said the government's declaration probably means an end to emergency measures. "It is significant to show both domestically and internationally a shift to a new stage," it said.

The daily noted that many issues need to be resolved, such as decontaminating the affected areas and ensuring health services and compensation for residents.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by RumET
Dear ATS Society

I just watched NHK World Service news. They told on air that the Japaneses Gvmt will announce all reactors that have had a meltdown as having stopped cold. The core temperatures having dropped below 100 degrees C.

Are there any scientific data to confirm, or disprove such a claim? They also mentioned that this made their Phase Two complete.

Now could this be true? I'd sure like to think so, the whole Fukushima issue is very worrying, even in Russia. Too much information from very conflicting sources for my likes.

Kind Regards
RuMet

Greetings:

Thank you for your time, consideration and participation.

We, too, are interested in just what the "real deal" is, and herewith share some recent research into this phenomenon. Please take a look and share your opinion.

More NukeSpeak ...

BBC News - Japan PM says Fukushima nuclear site finally stabilised

Quote of the Day!

Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda: "[color=FDD017]This is a challenge to not only our nation but also the whole of humanity."

'[color=3BB9FF]The nuclear reactors have reached a state of cold shutdown and therefore we can now confirm that we have come to the end of the accident phase of the actual reactors,' Mr Noda told a news conference.

...Earlier this year, the government said it was aiming for a cold shutdown by the end of the year.
This is where water that cools nuclear fuel rods remains below boiling point, meaning that the fuel cannot reheat.

[color=Chartreuse]Tepco has also defined it as bringing the release of radioactive materials under control and reducing public radiation exposure to a level that does not exceed 1mSv/year at the site boundary...

Let's see how this is played in various media:

16 December 2011
Fukushima reaches cold shutdown : Nature News & Comment

According to the latest data from the Japan Atomic Industrial Forum, which tracks the reactors’ vital statistics, unit 1 is now at 38.3°C, unit 2 is at 68.7°C and unit 3 is at 64.1°C.

The Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), which runs Fukushima, had imposed an additional requirement that the release of radioactivity is 'under control and public radiation exposure by additional release is being significantly held down.'

It has been months since any major release from the reactors, and it seems reasonable to consider this condition achieved as well.

Speechless.

From the horse’s, errrrr, mouth...

NRC: Glossary -- Cold shutdown

The term used to define a reactor coolant system at atmospheric pressure and at a temperature below 200 degrees Fahrenheit following a reactor cool down.

And then this:

Shutdown (nuclear reactor) - Wikipedia

In a nuclear reactor, shutdown refers to the state of the reactor when it is subcritical by at least a margin defined in the reactor's technical specifications. [color=3BB9FF]Further requirements for being shut down may include having the reactor control key be secured and having no fuel movements or control systems maintenance in progress.

The shutdown margin is defined in terms of reactivity, frequently in units of delta-k/k (where k is taken to mean k-effective, the effective multiplication factor) or occasionally in dollars (the dollar is a unit equal to the change in reactivity needed to go from critical to prompt critical).

Shutdown margin can refer either to the margin by which the reactor is subcritical when all control rods are inserted or to the margin by which the reactor would be shut down in the event of a scram. Hence, care must be taken to define shutdown margin in the most conservative way in the reactor's technical specifications; a typical research reactor will specify the margin when in the cold condition, without xenon.

[color=3BB9FF]Under this specification, the shutdown margin can be simply calculated as the sum of the control rod worths minus the core excess...

To be continued ...

Peace Love Light
tfw
[align=center][color=magenta]Liberty & Equality or Revolution[/align]

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
(continued from previous post)

[color=3BB9FF]Under this specification, the shutdown margin can be simply calculated as the sum of the control rod worths minus the core excess.

Minimum shutdown margin can be calculated in the same way as shutdown margin, except that the negative reactivity of the most reactive control rod and non-scramable rods is ignored. [color=3BB9FF]This definition allows the reactor to be designed so that it remains safely shut down even if that most reactive control rod becomes stuck out of the core.

A reactor is in cold shutdown when, in addition, its coolant system is at atmospheric pressure and at a temperature below 200 degrees Fahrenheit (approx. 95 degrees Celsius).[1]

This temperature is low enough that the water cooling the fuel in a light water reactor does not boil even when the reactor coolant system is de-pressurized.

It is a misuse of the term to describe a reactor after meltdown as 'in cold shutdown'.[color=Chartreuse] As the fuel assembly is destroyed no shutdown is possible. Fuel is melted together and impossible to control directly.

Even if pressure and temperature are unalarming momentarily 'cold shutdown' implies complete control which is impossible after meltdown.

From other news sites

Reuters UK UPDATE 5-Japan says stricken nuclear power plant in cold shutdown 

France24 JAPAN: Japan declares 'cold shutdown' at Fukushima 

Yahoo! UK and Ireland Japan says stricken nuclear power plant in cold shutdown

BusinessWeek Fukushima Dismantling to Start as Cold Shutdown Announced

Australia: NEWS.com.au Japan says Fukushima reactors stable

And from the same source, less than three weeks ago:
Fukushima nuclear catastrophe closer than thought | The Australian

The Australian December 02, 2011 12:00AM

[color=3BB9FF]MOLTEN nuclear fuel in one reactor at Japan's stricken Fukushima Daiichi plant burned through the steel pressure vessel and three-quarters of the surrounding concrete containment vessel that formed the reactor's last substantial internal barrier.

[color=Chartreuse]The revelation of the near ‘China Syndrome’ meltdown is yet another revision of the severity of the disaster following the March 11 earthquake and tsunami...

We thinks we are not out of the woods yet.

What say you?

Peace Love Light
tfw
[align=center][color=magenta]Liberty & Equality or Revolution[/align]
edit on 16/12/2011 by thorfourwinds because: color

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Updated : 10:06 AM, 17/12/2011
Vietnam prioritizes safety for nuclear energy

english.vov.vn/Home/Vietnam-prioritizes-safety-for-nuclear-energy/201112/133394.vov

Vietnam allocates top priority to safety in its nuclear energy development policy, a senior Vietnamese official said at the 12th ministerial meeting of the Forum on Nuclear Cooperation in Asia (FNCA) in Tokyo on December 16.

In his speech, Deputy Minister of Science and Technology Le Dinh Tien said, “the Fukushima nuclear accident, once again, reminds us to develop and use nuclear power for peaceful purposes in a responsible way, in which ensuring the highest standards of nuclear safety is the first priority”.

Vietnam’s energy policy for the post-Fukushima period relies on diverse energy sources, he said, noting that the country is facing a future of limited fossil fuel sources becoming exhausted, while energy consumption, especially electricity consumption, is increasing rapidly.

“We understand that nuclear power is a clean energy source with no carbon dioxide emissions and it could be considered as a feasible option to meet the country’s demand for energy,” he said.

Vietnam decided to continue its nuclear energy program, Tien said, adding that under the new plan for electricity development for 2011-2020 with an orientation to 2030, which was adopted by the Government last July, Vietnam’s first nuclear power plant will be in commercial operation by 2020 and the share of nuclear power in total power generation will reach 10.1 percent by the year 2030.

(...)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Cold Shutdown Fuku Definition

cold shutdown for the Fukushima plant as a situation in which the temperature at the bottom of the reactor pressure containers is less than 100 degrees Celsius, and the radiation levels at the edge of the plant premises are below one millisievert per year.

mdn.mainichi.jp...

December 17 Radiation Dose at Daiichi:
www.tepco.co.jp...

Radioactive Fallout Around the plant:
www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Chronic Oil "Leak" GOM - December 9, 2011

There's that "Leak" word again...

blog.skytruth.org...

- Purple Chive