It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 114.htm
<< 111  112  113    115  116  117 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUDDD
This is all that's left of #4, the one that's JUST gone sky-high.

Well the news report just said they were still trying to cool it down Hmmmm

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Based on a total meltdown, what do you think the consequences are for the various portions of the US? West Coast will definitely see something. What about farther in, and east coast?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
It may not be an exactly accurate comparison, but since there's really nothing else to even attempt to compare it to, here's the radiation map for Chernobyl ...

... obviously, this came from the Chernobyl Disaster Effects Wikipedia Page.

There's another map I saw once, that I'm looking for that shows long-term fall-out over all of Europe.
If / when I find it, I'll post that too.

edit on 2011-3-15 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Notes.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rancher1

Just to add:

Those last 50 workers are still heroes. The clock has been slowed, giving a few more precious hours to evacuate the surrounding population. They will probably die an early death, but in doing so they may have saved the lives of thousands.

They stayed until the last possible minute. That is sufficient.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
May someone please aide me with correct information on this question.

How far down can the reactive material melt into the earth? To add my question/point is with the reactors so close can they work as hole punches in the crust and make it weak enough for a slight collapse?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Anderson Cooper was just on, confirming this, he completely got lost in words sounded like almost mumbling and stuttering, and went to a break... He seemed very shocked, or confused by the turn in events.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Then they have to evacuate Tokyo, thats going to be crasy.

This is really bad, but it was almost told from the start...They could only delay the meltdown.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Highground

Unless the steam hits the Jet Stream, there will be no major consequences for any of the North American continent. If it does, things could get tricky for the West Coast... exactly how tricky will depend on how much radiation of what kind is picked up and the exact direction/speed of the Jet Stream at that time.

I do not at this time expect any consequences beyond the Rocky Mountains, and probably not past the Cascade Range.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Roger that.

Thanks.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
So how long, your best guess, till things go boom? I mean how long do those people have?

My heart completely dropped out of my chest when I heard this. I can not believe this.....

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

HirokoTabuchi Contrary to some reports, a core group of workers remain at the Fukushima Daiichi plant. It is not abandoned.

Those people should be given medals!!!!!!!!!

So will they evacuate Tokyo for real?
edit on 15-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I am finding that some people may be unaware of the reactor breach news, so here it is:

Fukushima reactor shell breached AsiaOne

PARIS - The concrete vessel around the No. 2 reactor at Japan's Fukushima plant, designed to contain radioactive debris, is 'no longer sealed,' Andre-Claude Lacoste, head of France's Nuclear Safety Authority (ASN), said on Tuesday.

New fire hits Japan nuclear plant BBC

It appears that for the first time, the containment system around one of the Fukushima Daiichi reactors has been breached.

Japan fears a nuclear disaster after reactor breach LATimes

Reporting from Tokyo and Los Angeles
— Dangerous levels of radiation escaped a quake-stricken nuclear power plant after one reactor's steel containment structure was apparently breached by an explosion, and a different reactor building in the same complex caught fire after another explosion, Japan's leaders told a frightened population. Authorities warned that people within 20 miles of the crippled reactors should stay indoors to avoid being sickened by radiation.

Japan PM: Radiation leaking from damaged plant MSNBC

Two sources told NBC News' Robert Bazell that the blast breached the containment structure and that radiation had leaked out.

edit on 15-3-2011 by Regenmacher because: additional info

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Here's that other Chernobyl map I was looking for ....

[url=http://maps.grida.no/library/files/storage/chernobyl_001.png]
[/url ]

edit on 2011-3-15 by EnhancedInterrogator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

The look on Sanjay Gupta's face the entire time didn't seem to help at all, especially before one of the breaks when Cooper and the correspondent feeding all the "possible effects" were stuttering and speaking together at once.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
This is it everyone. Our worst fears are coming true, without anyone left to operate the plant there is no hope left in preventing meltdown at multiple reactors. My advice to anyone in Japan within the 30km zone would be to get out now, don't wait for the official word to evacuate. Leave before there is a very large explosion spewing huge amounts of radiation.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

Unfortunately, that is one theory. No one knows for sure.

As to how far down.... until they reach magma and create a new volcano where the reactors once stood. But again, that is just one of the theories.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by rancher1

Just to add:

Those last 50 workers are still heroes. The clock has been slowed, giving a few more precious hours to evacuate the surrounding population. They will probably die an early death, but in doing so they may have saved the lives of thousands.

They stayed until the last possible minute. That is sufficient.

TheRedneck

Dude that is so heavy!!!!

Those 50 workers are truly hero's! They should be honored by all of humanity, not just Japan! Here's to those who give their all!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Around here, "suspended operations" translates to "got their happy butts outta there".

It sounds like Fukushima is now vacant.

TheRedneck

With no workers left at the plant could we expect the worse quickly? I think its
the workers that have helped hold it off so far. The reactors aren't going to
mend by theirselves. Not to frighten with my question just to be prepared.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
So... on german news, they just said that radiation levels at Fukushima have reached 1 Sievert... which is the equivalent of 1000 times what a human can safely experience in ONE YEAR.

And that was in the first evacuation zone.

At the plant, it's 8 Sievert.
edit on 15-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
so how much fuel are we talking here. it's hard to get the exact number but

The Fukushima Daiichi plant has seven pools for spent fuel rods. Six of these are (or were) located at the top of six reactor buildings. One “common pool” is at ground level in a separate building. Each “reactor top” pool holds 3450 fuel rod assemblies. The common pool holds 6291 fuel rod assemblies. [The common pool has windows on one wall which were almost certainly destroyed by the tsunami.] Each assembly holds sixty-three fuel rods. This means the Fukushima Daiichi plant may contain over 600,000 spent fuel rods

Source

and

Japanese commercial nuclear power plants began operation in 1970. Currently there are 53 nuclear power plants in operation. To date close to 20,000 tons of spent nuclear fuel has been generated by Japan's nuclear power program

The quantity of fission products (spent nuclear fuel) produced each year at a full-sized commercial nuclear power plants is massive. A total of approximately 50,000 times the fission products of the Hiroshima bomb are created by Japanese nuclear power plants each year, and this for the most part is cumulative, in other words the material remains radioactive. Most of this waste is being temporarily stored at nuclear power plant sites and must remain segregated from the natural environment

link

AWESOME POST and data I had no idea it was that many

new topics

top topics

<< 111  112  113    115  116  117 >>

join