It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1129.htm
<< 1126  1127  1128    1130  1131  1132 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

Originally posted by zworld
Madarame is a fool.

I think that's overly harsh.

In terms of the field of Nuclear Engineering, Ishibashi IS a nobody. He's not a Nuclear Engineer, and as far as I'm aware he isn't an engineer of any kind. He is, however, a well respected seismologist. That's how he's always been introduced when I've seen him on the news, at least - and in the interviews I've seen, he's never referred to himself as an Engineer. Not that I can remember, anyway.

I'd really be interested in reading the full Madarame quote sometime. Something tells me there's some context missing. Something else tells me that your reaction was the intended one, though.

The way the story is written produces the reaction. If you find out more Id be interested in knowing what it is. But for a respected seismologist to be called a nobody in nuclear engineers eyes tells me that he isn't respected by them. Nobody said he was a nuclear engineer. The problem is that nuclear engineers have a responsibility to the world to produce safe nuclear power. By ignoring 'respected seismologists' who are trying to help them do their job, they are ignoring an important aspect in their jobs.....the safety of you, me and the rest of the world. And anyone who would belittle a respected seismologist attempting to help is a fool. Yes?

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by zworld

Yes and no, I suppose. If that one person is the only person being consulted, yes. If that one person is one of a large body of people comprised of engineers and seismologists, it becomes a lot more difficult to blame people for not listening. If everyone being consulted has similar qualifications, how often do any of us listen to the one dissenting voice with a doomsday scenario? Not often, at least until they've had their "I Bloody Well Told You So" moment - and by that standard, I and everyone I know are fools.

Reading the quote again: “In the field of nuclear engineering, Mr. Ishibashi is a nobody,” I guess you could take that either way. I read that as: among nuclear engineers, ...hmm. actually, that's a problem right there - I can't say offhand what "~ is a nobody" would have been in the original Japanese, because that has a very specific cultural meaning in English that doesn't really translate. Damn. I'm suddenly not sure how to take that quote at all. I guess I'll have to retract my comment until I can figure out exactly what he meant by that.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
On the flashes, There seem to be nights where there are more purple, some nights green. Could it be the fuel reacting with different metals, or rock as it burns its way down? Anyway, I grabbed a couple from this latest sunrise. I wanted to see if I could find a couple after sun up.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Interesting Web Cam Captures by Nuckelchen

Any ideas what could cause such a bright light?

- Purple Chive
edit on 22-11-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
In case it hasnt been said in a while, as this thread is MONSEROUS, thank you to all who have kept the information coming.

You all deserve instant gold member status for your work.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   

What the heck is going on? Base of Tower in Front of Unit 2

Then it starts up again 1:59 (19:40 PM) into the clip. AC maybe you can get some stills?

Probably welding...

- Purple Chive

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Wash Post Reporter - Inside Dead Zone

Reporter could have been a little more solemn.

- Purple Chive

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Post-Fukushima 'anti-radiation' pills condemned by scientists/ or Coward?

Dr Christopher Busby, a visiting professor at the University of Ulster, is championing a series of expensive products and services which, he claims, will protect people in Japan from the effects of radiation. Among them are mineral supplements on sale for ¥5,800 (£48) a bottle, urine tests for radioactive contaminants for ¥98,000 (£808) and food tests for ¥108,000 (£891).

The tests are provided by Busby Laboratories and promoted through a body called the Christopher Busby Foundation for the Children of Fukushima (CBFCF).

Testing urine for uranium and strontium: ¥98,000 (£808)
Testing food for caesium and iodine: ¥29,800 (£246)
Testing food for plutonium, uranium and strontium: ¥108,000 (£891)
Testing water for caesium and strontium: ¥59,800 (£493)
Russian-made radiation monitors: ¥28,000 yen + ¥3,200 yen for shipping (£257 in total).
The same model is available on eBay for £170, including shipping costs.

www.guardian.co.uk...

COMMENT: A chronicle of nuclear decay: Over half a year later, what have we learnt from Fukushima?

Clearly, this was the largest case of radioactive contamination of the planet’s ocean in all of humankind’s history. Soon after the disaster erupted, experts around the world started voicing criticism at the Japanese authorities, saying Tokyo was withholding information on the amounts of radiation that were being discharged into the environment by the damaged plant. In Russia, this show of the Japanese government’s ill-timed reserve brought back memories of 1986 and the thick blanket of secrecy that the Soviet leaders were trying to throw over the Chernobyl tragedy as they wasted precious time lingering with first-response measures.

The Japanese government later apologised for holding important information back from their neighbours that came under direct threat of contamination. It could, though, have treated its own population better by agreeing sooner to expand the evacuation zone around Fukushima. Because it didn’t for so long, children and pregnant women who remained in the areas affected by the radioactive fallout were subjected to increased exposure. Eight months have now passed since the disaster at Fukushima Daiichi started. It won’t be before the end of the year that TEPCO promises to bring the plant to a safe state.

Has the Japanese government used this time wisely and tried to change its ways? It doesn’t look like it. The tour it arranged for reporters – who know well enough what is really going on at the struggling plant – hardly changes anything. We still see reluctance to acknowledge facts that the authorities would rather didn’t come to the surface, wilful silence as a reaction to troubling scientific data, and more attempts to paint the dire situation in the best light possible.

Thousands of ordinary Japanese citizens may have marched out against nuclear energy exactly because they know all too well what their government’s promise to close all seventeen Japanese nuclear power plants is worth. It’s not worth much.

www.bellona.org...

2 ex-TEPCO workers re-elected as assemblymen in Fukushima towns

FUKUSHIMA -- Two former employees of Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO), the operator of the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, have been re-elected as town assemblymen in two municipalities in Fukushima Prefecture.

Ryoichi Kato, 54, a former member of TEPCO's labor union, and Fumitaka Takahagi, 45, a former TEPCO employee, won the Okuma and Futaba town assembly elections on Nov. 20, respectively. Both Kato and Takahagi were incumbent independent candidates.

mdn.mainichi.jp...

Busby is not funny at all

Now he showed up his true face
and i feel strongly reminded to the Emblem of the Fabian Society!
(The Wolf covered in Sheeps Fur)

The Families who are still around F`Shima are ignorant or very poor,
i think when we look at the prices of his Products this poor People feel betrayed a lot!

How do this Guy at first creating fear and panic
and suddenly start to provide this highly overpriced Products,
this is disgusting and a shame for the Anti-Nuclear Movement

edit on 22-11-2011 by Human0815 because: add info

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Some New Robotic Vids/Pics Inside Unit 3

Why are looking and wiping these rails so important?

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Fish Kill from Reactor Scram

Power Reactor Event Number: 47464 Facility: MONTICELLO Region: 3 State: MN Unit: [1] [ ] [ ] RX Type: [1] GE-3 NRC Notified By: LT. EARSLEY HQ OPS Officer: HOWIE CROUCH Notification Date: 11/21/2011 Notification Time: 17:51 [ET] Event Date: 11/21/2011 Event Time: 16:06 [CST] Last Update Date: 11/21/2011 Emergency Class: NON EMERGENCY 10 CFR Section: 50.72(b)(2)(xi) - OFFSITE NOTIFICATION Person (Organization): JULIO LARA (R3DO) Unit SCRAM Code RX CRIT Initial PWR Initial RX Mode Current PWR Current RX Mode 1 N N 0 Cold Shutdown 0 Cold Shutdown Event Text OFFSITE NOTIFICATION DUE TO FISH KILL "At 1606 Central Standard Time, Xcel Energy Environmental Services made a report to the State of MN regarding 190 fish killed from the discharge canal temperature transient during the reactor scram on 11/20/11. The report was made verbally with a follow-up email message detailing the species of fish killed. "This is a notification being made under 50.72(b)(2)(xi) as an event related to the environment for which notification to other government agencies have or will be made."

www.nrc.gov...

Reactor Scram 11/20:

Power Reactor Event Number: 47460 Facility: MONTICELLO Region: 3 State: MN Unit: [1] [ ] [ ] RX Type: [1] GE-3 NRC Notified By: MARK IHLENFELDT HQ OPS Officer: VINCE KLCO Notification Date: 11/20/2011 Notification Time: 02:10 [ET] Event Date: 11/19/2011 Event Time: 23:12 [CST] Last Update Date: 11/20/2011 Emergency Class: NON EMERGENCY 10 CFR Section: 50.72(b)(2)(iv)(B) - RPS ACTUATION - CRITICAL 50.72(b)(2)(xi) - OFFSITE NOTIFICATION 50.72(b)(3)(iv)(A) - VALID SPECIF SYS ACTUATION Person (Organization): DAVID HILLS (R3DO) Unit SCRAM Code RX CRIT Initial PWR Initial RX Mode Current PWR Current RX Mode 1 A/R Y 90 Power Operation 0 Hot Shutdown Event Text AUTOMATIC REACTOR SCRAM WHILE PERFORMING TURBINE BYPASS VALVE TESTING "While performing a regularly scheduled Turbine Bypass Valve surveillance, prior to Turbine Bypass Valve movement, a 'B' half scram [signal] was received. Operators immediately suspended testing. Approximately 10 seconds later, a full Reactor Protection System actuation occurred. Following the reactor scram, reactor water level lowered below the Group II isolation initiation setpoint of +9 inches, [resulting in containment valve isolations]. There were no radioactive releases associated with this event. "No other alarms were received prior to the RPS actuation. The cause of the reactor scram is under investigation at this time. "Also, due to the reactor scram, discharge canal temperature rate of change exceeded plant requirements. As a result, the State of Minnesota, and appropriate local agencies will be notified." All control rods inserted and the scram is considered uncomplicated. The plant is in a normal shutdown electrical configuration.

www.nrc.gov...

Makes ya wonder folks...

- Purple Chive

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I try to find the ultimate Answer for the Sparks and Colors,
help to articulate your/ our Observations and post your ideas too;
F`Shima Cam, a technical question

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive

Purple - some interesting captures there. I have been wondering about these. Have had some ideas but it is certainly very puzzling and I am not an expert in this field so these are probably very silly (sorry!).

My thoughts were:
Artifacts from the camera due to radiation/internal damage or just normal artifacts
Insects - are there things like fireflys and other bugs that glow and being captured by the camera close up hence the distortion due to focussing
Aeroplanes/drones - is it possible the lights from these are being caught and again because of the distance from camera and frame speed these are being distorted
Pollen/dust bits in the air caught by lights around site or close up
Rain/water droplets/vapours etc as above
Atomic/nuclear reactions taking place in and around the plant
Atmospheric/weather conditions

There is certainly alot of distortion and movement which is not there causing images to wobble and move around and the picture is certainly very pixelated at times.

I tune in every so often to watch.

Has anyone been comparing these with similar webcams at other nuke plants/indutrial sites/public sites etc? Also comparing with early footage at Fuku?

Do we know what type of camera it is? Can we get hold of specs for it etc. so we can test and investigate the hardware and software. Can we reproduce the effects seen on FukuCam with other cameras?

Keep up the good work guys. Going off to cook some dinner and muse some.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
For Purple.

And 7 seconds later.....

Human, I posted some screen caps of the flashes over at the science thread. If the want more, I have tons. Just the big bright ones happen between 5 and 25 times an hour. Didn't anyone find it interesting that the morning picture had a shadow on the underside? That tells me it's not the cam.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
reply to post by zworld

Not often, at least until they've had their "I Bloody Well Told You So" moment - and by that standard, I and everyone I know are fools.

Good point. But his nuclear earthquake disaster study came out after he had already had his told you so moment, so I think there should have been a much greater appreciation paid his view, especially by nuke engineers.

Reading the quote again: “In the field of nuclear engineering, Mr. Ishibashi is a nobody,” I guess you could take that either way. I read that as: among nuclear engineers, ...hmm. actually, that's a problem right there - I can't say offhand what "~ is a nobody" would have been in the original Japanese, because that has a very specific cultural meaning in English that doesn't really translate.

That is very interesting. Now I want to get the minutes of the meeting and see what others translate it as. Hmmmmm.

The article was written by a Bloomberg journalist, and Bloomberg is as pro business as they come. I'm going to go over their site and see if I can find the minutes they refer to receiving. If not, they must be available somewhere. I was going to use Ishibashi's stuff as a lead in to a report section, and want to get it right.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
In case it hasnt been said in a while, as this thread is MONSEROUS, thank you to all who have kept the information coming.

Amongus, thank you very much for that. I feel I speak for all of us in feeling appreciated. I woke this morning sickly and in a sad frame of mind and reading your post first thing was an excellent boost.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

15 Minute Version....possibly "Floating Ground"?

As always AC....thanks so very much!!

- Purple Chive

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

15 Minute Version....possibly "Floating Ground"?

As always AC....thanks so very much!!

- Purple Chive

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

Yeah, theres something inherently wrong with someone selling disaster emergency medications and supplies at an inflated price under the guise of being a childrens foundation.

Good point. If I didn't know better, Id have thought he was an American. Arnie has always hit me as sincere, where as Busby and Kaku have always struck me as out for self. If Im wrong I apologize to either or both.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by zworld

Originally posted by amongus

Amongus, thank you very much for that. I feel I speak for all of us in feeling appreciated. I woke this morning sickly and in a sad frame of mind and reading your post first thing was an excellent boost.

I want to echo both of these sentiments.

As both consumer and contribitor to this thread, I will say that as a consumer (a reader of others posts) my appreciation is profound and deep. As a contributor (sporadic though that contribution may be), hearing from others who are reading though not necessarily posting does a lot to keep the flame of determination lit.

Thank you to everyone for the constant vigilence, both in posting and on keeping up with this disaster of epic proportions.

Regards the topic of Crapco's culpability in not listening to experts, I spent a good number of posts (way, way back in this thread) around their history of corruption and cover ups. In that research, I found a few articles in which they decided not to listen to geologists hired specifically for the purpose of determining potential seismic risks for the site. I can go dig for those if you think it may be helpful in compiling the report you've alluded to a few time, Z.

In fact, I think it may be time that we release a comprehensive report based on the research and commentary with this thread and it sounds like what you've mentioned a couple of times.

I wonder if we could get the ATS ptb to put the ATS stamp on it, after they go through whatever we may come up with?

Thoughts?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
As both consumer and contribitor to this thread, I will say that as a consumer (a reader of others posts) my appreciation is profound and deep. As a contributor (sporadic though that contribution may be),

Yes, and missed greatly when not around.

Regards the topic of Crapco's culpability in not listening to experts, I spent a good number of posts (way, way back in this thread) around their history of corruption and cover ups. In that research, I found a few articles in which they decided not to listen to geologists hired specifically for the purpose of determining potential seismic risks for the site. I can go dig for those if you think it may be helpful in compiling the report you've alluded to a few time, Z.

No need just yet as I have to do a run through the whole thread someday soon. Its been on the backburner for a long time, as has the PF thread. But its got to be done. If I cant get it all done then yes it would be very appreciated.

In fact, I think it may be time that we release a comprehensive report based on the research and commentary with this thread and it sounds like what you've mentioned a couple of times.

I wonder if we could get the ATS ptb to put the ATS stamp on it, after they go through whatever we may come up with?

Thoughts?

Its an excellent idea. The only problem is that the report Im putting together will be using data from many sources and not just ATS, though much will be from here. Im hoping the report will eventually make mainstream, or at least the fringe.

I was going to ask the mods when it was done if they would post it. Hopefully.

top topics

<< 1126  1127  1128    1130  1131  1132 >>

join