It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1107.htm
<< 1104  1105  1106    1108  1109  1110 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Here we have a chart showing 1535 fuel assemblies in the #4 pool. At the same time there is no number for what is in the cores of #5 and 6.

And a big PDF on atmospheric dispersion.
www.atmos-chem-phys-discuss.net...
Q. The article on 79% seems to leave the impression that the Pacific took the brunt of the fallout and that very little made it to N. America.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Excessive cesium detected in greenhouse-grown mushrooms in Fukushima

Radioactive cesium exceeding the designated limit has been detected in shiitake mushrooms grown in greenhouses at a farm in Soma, Fukushima Prefecture, the prefectural government said Saturday. The prefectural government has asked the city of Soma and dealers to stop shipment of the mushrooms, and a local agricultural cooperative has begun recalling them after they were found to contain 850 becquerels of cesium per kilogram, exceeding the 500-becquerel limit set by the state.
mdn.mainichi.jp...

Thousands rally for Fukushima compensation

Thousands of people angered by Japan's nuclear power plant accident have rallied in Fukushima to demand full compensation for victims of the crisis, and swift decontamination of their neighbourhoods. Sunday's rally was attended by about 10,000 people, organisers estimated.
news.smh.com.au...

Stegaya-Supermarket

I went there yesterday morning for a Sunday stroll and for a Check,
there area was closed for Public (Supermarket and the Parking Lot)
so i do my measurements only around the Fence:
i was there this morning, some reporter, two or three helicopter, no one from the government,
some concerned neighbors but not much!
i checked with two Geiger-Counter, both are calibrated,
surrounding area: 0.20uSv/h
the entrance: 0.50 uSv/h
across the street: 0.13- 0.15 uSv/h

I realize at least 2 major Points,
Nr. 1 There is a Garbage Burning Facility just 2min. away!
Nr. 2 The Readings get high where Cars or Trucks moved in
(the entrance of the Parking Lot)
Just a meter away it decreased down to 0.20uSv/h on Soil
and lower on Asphalt.
I done the check up at Ground-Level and i checked surrounding Gardens as well!

All in all: something inside the supermarket, delivered from the North.
Yahoo.co.jp mentioned Europium 154 this morning!

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Relocating tons of radioactive waste instead of people.
ajw.asahi.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
What To Do With Nuclear Waste

The question is, if agreement can't be reached on sites for interim storage facilities, let alone a permanent repository, how can a place be found for a reprocessing plant?

link to 3 page article

This is what a compromise might look like.
Rbrtj

edit on 31-10-2011 by rbrtj because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Aircooled -

Q. The article on 79% seems to leave the impression that the Pacific took the brunt of the fallout and that very little made it to N. America.

After a little searching I found the article not linked to by Forbes in the previous post.
The report + supplemental here (download links at the bottom of the abstract)
Xenon-133 and caesium-137 releases into the atmosphere from the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant: determination of the source term, atmospheric dispersion, and deposition

25th October 2011 atricle in Nature News for background info
Fallout forensics hike radiation toll - Global data on Fukushima challenge Japanese estimates.

The study also suggests that, contrary to government claims, pools used to store spent nuclear fuel played a significant part in the release of the long-lived environmental contaminant caesium-137, which could have been prevented by prompt action. The analysis has been posted online for open peer review by the journal Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics.

Andreas Stohl, an atmospheric scientist with the Norwegian Institute for Air Research in Kjeller, who led the research, believes that the analysis is the most comprehensive effort yet to understand how much radiation was released from Fukushima Daiichi. "It's a very valuable contribution," says Lars-Erik De Geer, an atmospheric modeller with the Swedish Defense Research Agency in Stockholm, who was not involved with the study.

edit on 31 Oct 2011 by qmantoo because: add link to Nature News

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if we already have many highly contaminated places such
as Chernobyl & now Fukushima why can't they be used for a so called "dumping station"?
I realize NO ONE wants to have any more radiation than what they already have, however it seems like
once beyond a certain level of contamination that isn't going away any time soon everyone could benefit from it. Seems like Japan could make a huge profit by doing so & therefore putting the money towards clean up, peoples health (especially the children), relocation & rebuilding if that is even possible.
Just an idea. Thanks for everyone's hard work & time!

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if we already have many highly contaminated places such
as Chernobyl & now Fukushima why can't they be used for a so called "dumping station"?
Yes, but you have to realise that the problem wont go away even if we have dumping grounds. The waste just keeps on coming and every country will use the dump so there will never be an end to it. Each year new radioactive materials will be dumped there and they will need more and more space until the whole island is uninhabitable because there is so much nuclear waste dumped there.

Having somewhere to put it is just making the problem worse and not acknowledging that they need to stop creating nuclear waste which lasts for tens of thousands of years. Also, a so-called "low-level" waste dump would soon be contaminated by high level waste because someone wants to pay to have their problem fixed. If someone suggests a low-level waste deposit, I cannot see how it would remain low-level for long.

Mongolia recently decided not to allow other countries to use Mongolia as a dumping ground so the world has to find somewhere else now. It was almost a done deal, but luckily they came to their senses.

It is all about responsibility and as a race, we dont have any morals and we are not responsible because we contaminate everything we touch. I really dont blame the aliens for treating us like lepers.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

As compensation payouts begin, Tepco pays the price for its nuclear disaster

“The people who come here are furious — furious — about what happened,” Muto said. “They have a thorn stuck in their heart. A lot of people tell me, ‘I want to go home as soon as possible. I want my life back.’ . . . What can I do?

Well, the best way to help is to let them vent their anger.” So Muto bows to the evacuees, dropping to his knees and apologizing. “This is the first step for us to then have a conversation about compensation.”

www.washingtonpost.com... L_story.html

Radiation Cleanup Confounds Japan

Government guidelines provide scant detail about the $14-billion-plus effort. A new cleanup law doesn't take effect until January. Cities across Fukushima prefecture are scraping contaminated topsoil off school grounds and parks, but Tokyo hasn't yet decided where to store the tainted material.

Frustrated residents of some towns have planted sunflowers in a fruitless effort to suck radioactive cesium out of the farmland. Here in this city of 332,500 nearly 40 miles from the crippled reactors, local volunteers regularly hose down sidewalks where radiation readings are high, even though that could spread contamination into sewage systems.

"Everybody is groping in the dark," says Hiroto Nishimaki, a 48-year-old executive of a gardening company near here.

online.wsj.com...

Workers in shelters just outside gates of nuclear complex miss out on allowance

Two shelters constructed for workers handling the crisis at the crippled Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant are not listed as being in radiation management zones despite radiation levels at the shelters exceeding the legal limit, it has been learned.

As a result, shelter workers are not being paid an extra "danger allowance" that is provided to workers in the zones.
mdn.mainichi.jp...

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

Have a look for the Documentary called *into Eternity*
www.youtube.com...

This is a problem that we need to face into the next 1000, -10.000, -100.000.- 2,5 Million Years!

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Sorry guys I forgot to mention that I want the world to do away with nuclear power & etc
so that we don't keep adding to the problem. I realize that it's never going to go away but was thinking
more on the lines of having the waste in as least areas possible instead of all over the place.
I know it's wishful thinking as it will never happen. I just hate how the planet is being ruined.
Thanks to all of you for spending so much time helping the rest of us understand the Big Picture.

Cheers
Ektar

Thanks Human that is Heavy!
edit on 31-10-2011 by Ektar because: Forgot to thank Human for documentary info

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ektar
Sorry guys I forgot to mention that I want the world to do away with nuclear power & etc
so that we don't keep adding to the problem. I realize that it's never going to go away but was thinking
more on the lines of having the waste in as least areas possible instead of all over the place.

Its a logical thought Ektar. The problem of nuclear waste is going to be one of the greatest challenges the human race has ever faced, and we really need to start taking precautionary steps immediately. I shutter at the thought that even in dry storage the threat of a release happening due to natural catastrophe is still very real.

But the problem has so many stumbling blocks as to be almost insurmountable. Each country needs to be responsible for their own pollutants. And each provider of nuclear power needs to put up the money to find these solutions, and not public money. (I get a kick out of how quick members of the rich and powerful spit on a poor person on govt assistance, yet they run companies that wouldnt exist without govt handouts and subsidies).

And there in lies two of the biggest problems. The irresponsibility of govts and the greed of corporations.

And then we have to deal with the storage logistics that would provide safe haven, dump site locations in each country, and how to transport the toxic fuel safely, things that after all these years we still havent figured out. And now, since govts cant afford to do this, and corporations refuse, we are left with a never ending problem, as Q alluded to.

In the end I think that Japan will use Fukushima for storage of its own fuel which is significant in and of itself, but I dont think they will build a repository on nuked land since they would have to wait many years just to start work.

The discussion of what to do with the spent fuel though has to take center stage along with global warming and detoxifying our oceans and atmosphere. I think in a responsible society run by responsible caring people we would be looking for ways to dispose of old fuel by dismantling it so to speak. Break it down to its core constituents and return it to the earth mimicking natural processes as best we can.

But whatever we do, we need to do it now, not tomorrow. All we have to do is overthrow all corrupt individuals and corporations in positions of power. Unfortunately theyve been preparing for that for sometime, so that solution doesnt work either. Detoxifying this earth is going to take alot of resources, which currently only the corrupt govts like the USA and inhuman corporations possess. Catch-22.

Heres a riddle;

How many greedy capitalists does it take to destroy the planet?

Answer;

Depends on how soon we want the job done!

edit on 31-10-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Oct 31. Status of Daini.
www.tepco.co.jp...

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Here's something quite different, at least I had never heard of drilling right into a fault area....

Drilling ship to probe Japanese quake zone Fast-tracked expedition will measure fault's residual heat.

It will be the first time that researchers have drilled into an underwater fault soon after a quake. The aim of the exercise is to solve a decades-old mystery about the part that friction plays in such an event. This should help scientists to understand why some faults are more likely than others to cause tsunami

"It would be a great disservice to society if we did not learn as much as possible from the fault zone heated by this huge earthquake," says Kiyoshi Suyehiro, president and chief executive of the management group of the Integrated Ocean Drilling Program (IODP). Following its initial approval of the proposal in September, the IODP has now confirmed that funding is available for the Chikyu to set sail in April and drill at a site south of the quake's epicentre

Source for full story
www.nature.com...

I hope I did this right...still use to the old snippet...please let me know if it's wrong.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Readings from Colorado. Oct 25th.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by zworld

Personal opinion, Russia needs to build a launch complex at Chernobyl and build huge rockets with strong containment canisters to launch the nuclear waste into space, then send it on a long journey to the sun.

They would make BILLIONS a year in launch fees.

Then it's off the planet for good.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Pics of Water Preparation for Dude to Drink

Notice the full protective outfit!! It's certifiably safe!! No errant armpit hairs, boogers, dandruff, defoliated skin! Just a little radioactive nucleotides. DRINK UP!! CHEERS!!

www.tepco.co.jp...

When asked if he could wipe away public concern about the water, Sonoda said he drank the water because he was asked to, but he does not think his act can ensure the water's safety.

So will Japaneses gov't officials jump off a cliff too, if they are asked to do so?

www3.nhk.or.jp...

- Purple Chive

edit on 31-10-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Arnie Gundersen's latest.
fairewinds.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by matadoor

Let me calculate it, a Kg. Load coasts 50.000 Euro

No, this is too unsafe, i read that a nuclear Accident in Space
would be much worse than on our sweet Planeto!

The only Way to reduce Nuclear Waste is via a new form and new generation
of Japanese Nuclear Power Plants!

We need to squeeze the Waste out until only a few % of the former Load is inside
of the Fuel Rods, this is afaik the only Way!

The costly fallout of tatemae and Japan's culture of deceit

There is an axiom in Japanese: uso mo hōben — "lying is also a means to an end." It sums up the general attitude in Japan of tolerance of — even justification for — not telling the truth.

First — defining "telling the truth" as divulging the truth (not a lie), the whole truth (full disclosure) and nothing but the truth (uncompounded with lies) — consider how lies are deployed in everyday personal interactions. Let's start with good old tatemae (charitably translated as "pretense").

By basically saying something you think the listener wants to hear, tatemae is, essentially, lying. That becomes clearer when the term is contrasted with its antonym, honne, one's "true feelings and intentions."

www.japantimes.co.jp...

Local Fukushima residents seek compensation for decontamination gear, costs

Residents battling radioactive contamination in and around their houses, who purchased high-pressure water sprayers, are seeking compensation for their independent decontamination campaigns.

The residents are frustrated because such water sprayers bought by individuals are not covered by a compensation scheme carried out by Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO), the operator of the crippled Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant. Furthermore, the central government stipulated in late September that the state will shoulder decontamination costs when local governments conduct such decontamination work.
mdn.mainichi.jp...

We have a sunny day today, i should go to the Mountains to enjoy the Foliage,
a Sea of red, brown, yellow and green Dots!
edit on 31-10-2011 by Human0815 because: spellcheck

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Thank you everyone for contributing and running with the ball.
Blinky would be proud.
Rbrtj

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by matadoor

Once again its a question of logistics, resources and safety. The money and resources to build the infastructure and rockets doesnt exist.

If memory serves, I think there has been 5000 tons of Pu alone produced for energy purposes (and weapons?). And that might just be for the US, Ill look for the actual. I remember doing a double take as plutonium isnt even the main ingredient in nuke fuel. Add in uranium and everything else that is found in spent fuel, and theyd have to be launching hourly to hopefully one day catch up.

theres also the unknown factor. What if launching radioisotopes into the sun causes them to explode prematurely on approach which then sets off a chain reaction that causes massive flares to occur that in turn emits enough magnetic energy to shutdown all digital and electrical systems on earth and everyone dies. Or one of the rockets does a space shuttle disaster type launch at 5000 feet and weve just nuked the whole planet and everyone dies. we'd be very unpopular.

Now the inner earth is a possibility since its uranium and potassium and other radioactive stuff anyway. Get it into the molten mantle and its gone. Of course it too could set off an unknown chain of events that wipes out life as we know it.

Leave it too humans to create and mass produce the deadliest thing on earth, something that never goes away (seemingly), without having a clue what to do with it once its done its job.

ON EDIT: this is what one satellite did when it re-entered earth

US navigational satellite “Transit 5BN-3” with a SNAP-9A radioisotope generator containing 630 TBq of 238Pu metal failed to achieve orbit and re-entered the atmosphere at 120 km altitude and burned up over the West Indian Ocean north of Madagascar in 1964. The nuclear fuel was vaporized during re-entry and was dispersed worldwide. The North Pacific appears to have received 0.0345 PBq of 238Pu as of year 2000, calculated from Aarkrog (1988).

edit on 31-10-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1104  1105  1106    1108  1109  1110 >>

join