It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1103.htm
<< 1100  1101  1102    1104  1105  1106 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
SL, WW anyone. Dont mean to keep harping on this, but is this alot of salt. And would there be salt deposits formed. And wouldnt this level would have been consistent from mid March till they desalinated.

The reason I ask is because the JNES keeps saying there is nothing to worry about.

www.jnes.go.jp... Quantities of salt deposits in unit 2: assesment of salt deposits caused by seawater injections. As the salt concentration for saturation is not reached, there is no salt deposit.

www.jnes.go.jp... Quantities of salt deposits in unit 2 (revised version): Estimate of the salt deposit quantities resulting of seawater injection. With a 410 l/min water injection rate, it is thought that there is enough margin, and salt deposits are not created.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by zworld

It looks like 264 gallons in a metric ton, so 16,896 gallons. US gallons I believe.That's a BIG screw!

wiki.answers.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

May 22, TEPCO release of what is in the Turbine Building Water

www.tepco.co.jp...

Na

- Purple Chive

edit on 26-10-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by zworld
SL, WW anyone. Dont mean to keep harping on this, but is this alot of salt. And would there be salt deposits formed. And wouldnt this level would have been consistent from mid March till they desalinated.

The reason I ask is because the JNES keeps saying there is nothing to worry about.

www.jnes.go.jp... Quantities of salt deposits in unit 2: assesment of salt deposits caused by seawater injections. As the salt concentration for saturation is not reached, there is no salt deposit.

www.jnes.go.jp... Quantities of salt deposits in unit 2 (revised version): Estimate of the salt deposit quantities resulting of seawater injection. With a 410 l/min water injection rate, it is thought that there is enough margin, and salt deposits are not created.

Not a Sea Water expert (other than I like watching the ocean - I won't swim there because I try to not put myself into the food chain unless I've got no choice) but if my feeble memory recalls, there was a SERIOUS concern when they were injecting the sea water, that the salt buildups would cause them to lose the ability to inject the nitrogen, correct?

I can't find those posts after searching, but that seems to be sticking in my brain.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
fascinating article on the early days of Tepco, the govt and nuke power. I can see how deep the connections run. www.smh.com.au...

They built a country around the "nuclear-village". R. Crumb woulda had a field day with that one.

From 1945, Japan based its economic recovery on rebuilding its power industry, initially with oil and coal and later with a so-called nuclear village. The term describes a nuclear- industrial complex comprising utilities and manufacturers supported by politicians, bureaucrats and academics that promoted atomic energy to power fast-expanding industries in steel, shipbuilding, cars and electronics.

Nuclear supporters in Japan were helped by the US Central Intelligence Agency, says Tetsuo Arima....Among the CIA's Japanese allies...was Matsutaro Shoriki, owner of the Yomiuri newspaper and Nippon Television.

I know that's been mentioned before, but it gives an idea of the power base. However, the real power was in one man.

Japan's development into the world's third-biggest user of nuclear energy dates from the last days of the war. Yasuhiro Nakasone, who would later become Prime Minister and a powerful advocate of atomic energy, was serving as a naval officer in Japan when Hiroshima was bombed. After the war, he began the work of persuading the US to sell Japan nuclear technology. “Japan needed to move with the times or we would be left behind immediately.”

He changed his mind in part because he didn't want the government to control atomic energy after it had led Japan into a disastrous war, Tahara said. “If Kikawada had decided to go against nuclear power, the government would have taken it over,” he said.

An ex-naval officer in a power struggle with the remnants of a failed military command attempting to hold a country together. And they are both desperately seeking that which put an end to their militaristic pursuits. A source that could both rebuild their country, and defend their country.
This was the mind-set at the time that Tepco decided to build Fukushima Daiichi.
edit on 26-10-2011 by zworld because: would have taken it over,” he said.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Another strange one. Unlisted workers held captive until they die. I sure wish the interview had sub-titles.
enenews.com... s-missing-police-guards-also-dying-video

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
This still effects us all.. The world.

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

www.jnes.go.jp... Quantities of salt deposits in unit 2 (revised version): Estimate of the salt deposit quantities resulting of seawater injection. With a 410 L per min water injection rate , it is thought that there is enough margin, and salt deposits are not created.

Emphasis mine.

Whoops. They (the collective nuclear cluster$%$%) slipped up again on water measurements.

They said recently 10 tonnes an hour in latest tepco release for R2 and R3 (handouts_111022_03-e.pdf). JNES states 410L/min, which is approx 24.6 tonnes an hour or 24.6m3 per hour or 6498.63 Usgal per hour.

Either way someone is telling porkies, I'd bet 10 bucks tepcos' '10 tonnes an hour' figure is hogwash. Which means that early on in the accident they would have been using even more - this explains the staggering amount of water accumulating, rain, groundwater and seawater are likely not helping, but the fact they are using far more water than they say, shows this situation is far less in control than even we figured it may have been. Not that corium in sandstone is very controllable anyway...

posted on Oct, 26 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Tokyo Electric says no plans to sell all uranium stakes

(Reuters) - Tokyo Electric Power Co (9501.T) on Monday said it has no plans to sell all the stakes it holds in overseas uranium projects, denying a newspaper report that it would take such a step to raise funds to help victims of the crisis at its Fukushima nuclear plant.

Tokyo Electric is considering selling for a total of several tens of billions of yen its stakes in two uranium mining projects in Kharasan in southern Kazakhstan and the Cigar Lake mine in Canada, the Yomiuri newspaper reported.

The troubled utility, often referred to as Tepco, issued a statement saying it has no plans to sell all the stakes and that acquiring a steady stream of long-term uranium supplies through investments is important in securing stable power output.

When the Kharasan projects reach full production, Tepco should be entitled to obtain a little more than 10 percent of output, or 600 tones of uranium concentrate per year, the report said. That would be nearly 20 percent of the firm's annual needs before the March 11 quake crippled the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, according to the paper.

Tepco has a 5 percent stake in the Cigar Lake project, which would allow it to acquire up to 450 tones of uranium condensate a year. Tepco is likely to sell the stakes to Japanese firms to help ensure stable energy supplies in Japan, the report added.

They are definitely up to no good.
Follow the money

I can't but think the US and our Canadian bretheren are getting paid back with nuclear fallout for Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.

Rbrtj says thanks to our supporters and star givers.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by GhostR1der

I think your right GR. Interesting.

Theyve lied about everything else, and keeping the amount of water down makes them look good so I wouldnt be surprised. Unfortunately most of these documents, especially numerical stuff, are blacked out by Tepco and analysis is impossible.

Now we know why this particular document got blacked out.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   

OP-ED: Radiation Reporting: Blind, Idiotic, Corrupt — or All Three

“An exposure of 100 millisieverts per year is considered the lowest level at which any increase in cancer risk is evident,” the French Press Agency reported Oct. 6. But the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s official published position on radiation risk is that, “any amount of radiation may pose some risk for causing cancer and hereditary effect, [and] … any increase in dose, no matter how small, results in an incremental increase in risk.”
A good Read:

World Nuclear Capacity To Rise At Least 28% By 2035: Think Tank

TOKYO (Dow Jones)--Nuclear power generation capacity will increase globally by at least 28% to 500 gigawatts in 2035 from 390GW in 2010, even if plans to build new nuclear power plants are delayed by safety concerns due to the Fukushima Daiichi accident, the Institute of Energy Economics, Japan said Tuesday.

e.nikkei.com...

Fallout forensics hike radiation toll/ a PEER Review Study!!!

The disaster at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant in March released far more radiation than the Japanese government has claimed. So concludes a study1 that combines radioactivity data from across the globe to estimate the scale and fate of emissions from the shattered plant.

www.nature.com...

We had a Meeting today where we exchanged our Geiger-Counting Discoveries

It seems like that we all saw a ca. 25%-30% increase of Gamma Radiation
in the last Week, there was no Rain here but it become cold now
this means the Wind changed and is blowing now from the North downwards to Tokyo,
from there to the Sea
to our beautiful Bonin-Islands!

I do not know which Rice i will buy and how much,
normally we buy always a 50Kg Pack for Security (and a lot of Cup-Noodles)
maybe now i start to buy 10Kg of the new Harvest and keep a 20Kg for the Stock?
New Rice in Japan is always kind of a Thanks Giving and it is so yummy

But this year all of this has a bad Side-Taste

Now we know why this particular document got blacked out.

They said that the new Documents are not "so black",
do you saw them already?
edit on 27-10-2011 by Human0815 because: add question!

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Former UN Advisor: Many scientists are emphasizing precarious situation of Fukushima Spent Fuel Pool No. 4 — If rods spill onto ground, it will force Tokyo and Yokohama to close

This ain't exactly breaking news if you followed the situation for a while.

“In his recent blog, entitled “The Fourth Reactor and the Destiny of Japan”, Akio Matsumura correctly identifies the spent fuel pool in Unit 4 as the most serious potential threat for further massive radioactive releases from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.”

The Fourth Reactor and the Destiny of Japan, Akio Matsumura, September 29, 2011:

“I, along with many eminent scientists, are emphasizing the precarious situation of the fourth reactor that contains 1,535 nuclear fuel rods in the pool and is balanced on the second floor, outside of the reactor containment vessel. If the fuel rods spill onto the ground, disaster will ensue and force Tokyo and Yokohama to close, creating a gigantic evacuation zone. All scientists I have talked with say that if the structure collapses we will be in a situation well beyond where science has ever gone. The destiny of Japan will be changed and the disaster will certainly compromise the security of neighboring countries and the rest of the world in terms of health, migration and geopolitics.

Do anyone know the state of the Unit 4 fuel pool?

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Today's Corbett report.

And the Nisa report
fukushimaupdate.com...
And a possible death from radiation.
fukushima-diary.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

Originally posted by thorfourwinds
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

What do you think the best way would be to inform more people of the Fukushima Dai-ichi warheads/MOX/weapons productions facility that remains, to this day, continually spewing life-altering radiation 24/7/365... [color=limegreen]with no end in sight?

The first thing that popped into my mind when I read this was:
"I don't know... I wish I had an answer."

The second thing that popped into my mind was:
"Occupy Wall Street".

I envisioned the protesters with Fukushima signs. How would one steer the protesters towards rallying behind this cause along with their primary concerns. This would require someone to disseminate the information contained in your exhaustive and informative threads within the OWS movement. In my world, I see signs and banners proclaiming the ongoing (and under/un-reported) disaster flying high at every protest. But that's just me.

Greetings:

Great idea!

"Out of the mouths of babes..." or something to that effect.

S & F!

We would be willing to bet that there are ATS members & lurkers who have those direct contacts into the movement in many cities worldwide.

The real question is:

What will it take to empower and motivate people to literally

SAVE THE WORLD ?

Please look at this, people!

Japanese Journalist: “It’s like killing our own children, I cannot allow it to happen” — [color=limegreen]Teachers forcing students to eat food that parents fear is contaminated with radiation (VIDEO)

It is now time to come out of the (comparatively safe) woodwork and nether reaches of the world and unite, in this, arguably, the single biggest threat to all life on the planet we have ever faced.

It is now time to make this issue the much-needed (and missing) focal point of that pent-up anger of the OWS movement.

It is now time to voice our dissatisfaction with the inept and still-without-a-viable-solution response to the largest industrial accident in the history of mankind.

This is not a drill.

The balloon has dropped, and those supposedly bestowed with the responsibility of keeping we, the people, safe from life-altering nuclear radiation from the multiple melt-throughs at the disasterous Fukushima Dai-ichi fiasco have obviously dropped the ball - or, more to the point - just don’t give a damn about life on this planet.

We, the people, must pick up the ball and run with it, or suffer watching our loved ones slowly wilting away from the degrading effects of radiation poisoning - much like the food in the fields and the trees in the forest - or die trying.

Remember first, we, the people, are individuals.

This is what the radiated rain did to our trees here in the North Georgia mountains. This rain has blanketed all of North America at times since 15 March 2011, fueled by the 24/7/365 release of the deadly radiation.

If the "gentle" rain burns holes in the leaves of the trees, what else is happening to the rest of the ecosystem?

High concentrations of radioactive cesium have been found in plankton

We look forward to the collective mind of these individuals to formulate a plan to address the many aspects of this plan, the sooner, the better.

We look forward to further communication with like-minded individuals as to the implementation of "the Plan."

BTW, we are not alone.

Sadly this site exists due to a nuclear cover up that has been ongoing since the nuclear crisis in Japan starting March 11th 2011.

(...)The way to beat the nuclear industry and their spin is to always stay united.

I know people will have some disagreements but ultimately [color=orane]if we want to save some lives its a team effort.

It might sound dramatic to talk about saving lives but make no mistake thats what all the people who make the Youtube videos, websites and selected journalists are trying to do.

[color=orane]One sick kid is one sick kid too many.
AustralianCannonball

Peace Love Light
tfw

Liberty & Equality

or

Revolution

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

New Photos and videos ....some are underwater!!

www.tepco.co.jp...

4:20 into this video...are those dead trees?
www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive
edit on 27-10-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Tritium in R5/R6 Water?

Everything just gets curiouser and curiouser. Now I dont known what to think about the situation at R5/R6. Ill post it as soon as I find where I saved it (it was late last night), but found a quote from March 16 that says that Tepco is concerned because the water has fallen below the spent fuel in both pools (and since havent been able to find mention of).

Then it gets released today by Tepco theres tritium in the water from those reactors.Forget the fact that they mention that this water is better than the water they are sending down river to the sea (poetic phrasing). Its tritiated.

ITS BEEN NUKED!!!!! Below from EX-SKF;

#Fukushima I Nuke Plant: 2,600 Bq/Liter Tritium in Water Being Sprayed in the Plant Compound

On October 24, TEPCO quietly released the analysis of the water being sprayed in the plant compound, supposedly for fire and dust suppression.

The water comes from the basements of Reactors 5 and 6, and is treated, apparently, by the system that uses reverse osmosis. TEPCO assures us the water is safer than the seawater cleared for ocean bathing, though it does exceed the WHO standard. One notable nuclide that does remain after the RO treatment is tritium (H3).

Tritium is one of the most important things to look for when monitoring post accident scenarios. The reasons being a) it cleaves to and is transported as part of the water molecule, and cant be removed by filtration and b) it shows that there has been neutron bombardment.

This means that there was a fission occurring in R5 and R6. Except their reactors were shut down at the time.

Did they ever move R1/R3 water to the R5/R6 basements. If not, Houston, we have a problem.

ON EDIT: And this is one of the reasons that they need to monitor steam, and why Tepco refuses to monitor steam. Its in the steam bigtime, but wont show up in dust sampling. I dont like Tepco

edit on 27-10-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
From the new Oct 27 film. Looks like a new discharge pipe in the same area [In red] Original pit marked in blue. Also what looks like an opening to a small collapsed cavern by the road.

And the film. 4:43 is the screen capture.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Greetings:

Hey there, Westcoast and other fine members out West and specifically in California, we have a question that needs an answer:

Has the [color=limegreen]never-ending life-altering radiation spewing 24/7/365 from the Fukushima disaster/fiasco/nightmare affected/tainted this year’s wine production?

Or were all the wine-producing grapes kept out of the radioactive rain?

We propose that the larger question looms on the horizon: does Cesium 137, Iodine-133 and Xenon-133 affect the intrinsic, unique flavors and leave that metallic taste in your mouth?

Just a reminder as to why we ask these questions... please notice that the fruit and wine-producing regions of California are specifically mentioned in the following graphic.

Perhaps your local Chamber of Commerce can get some free air time on CNN like this:

27 October 2011
CNN: ‘Why tourism in Fukushima makes more sense then ever’
— Reporter given all-expenses-paid trip to Japan
— “Life in much of Fukushima goes on as normal now”

Far from any scenes of devastation, Setogaro Gorge will reward hikers with unrivaled scenes of natural beauty and plenty of picturesque waterfalls.

(...)The northern limits are on the cusp of the government-mandated 30-kilometer evacuation zone around the [color=limegreen]beleaguered Fukushima nuclear reactors.

Virtually everything due north of Iwaki, all the way up to the city of Sendai, has been evacuated, abandoned or destroyed.

Pack up the kids and the dogs, Ma, sounds like a place to vacation on the cheap!

Life in this region of Japan will never be the same. The rice paddies, usually impeccably maintained, grow wild; a clear indication of abandonment and a sad reminder of a terrible day.

The entire Fukushima region of Japan runs the risk of forever bearing a nuclear stigma.

What follows has earned itself a place in the Quotable Hall of Wonderment:

But it is important to understand that although a nuclear disaster has stricken Fukushima and the immediate area around the blown-out reactors is off limits, the land is by no means some apocalyptic scene of nuclear winter.

[color=limegreen]]The people living there are not glowing a radioactive hue.

Prove it.

Fukushima remains one of the most beautiful and scenic prefectures in Japan, filled with good, honest, real people who continue to thrive on in the aftermath of an unprecedented disaster.

...people who continue to thrive on...

We sincerely question that statement.

Over 50% of seafood tested in eastern Japan contain radioactive cesium-134 and cesium-137.

Consumers have generally avoided products from the regions near the wrecked Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant
(AFP/File, Richard A. Brooks)

As Japan insists it is safe for travelers (outside the nuclear evacuation zone, of course) and is enticing people to come and see what its like for themselves, Iwaki is poised to become the next hot destination for people wanting to witness post-March 11 Japan at the doorstep of ground zero.

Right..., but wait, there’s more.

For the more intrepid travelers, a visit to a city on the outskirts of the tsunami-ravaged nuclear no-man's land might be one of the most evocative and educational things to do while touring Japan.

We need these type of wordsmiths on our side...and the weight of the government behind us - oh, wait! The government is part of the problem!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the beat goes on:

People have accepted what they feel they cannot change.
DancedWithWolves

This attitude is not acceptable, as apathy will assure the end of all life on our planet.

For your consideration;

Biological concentration is coming up to human

Living in the land of death

Peace Love Light
tfw

Liberty & Equality

or

Revolution

edit on 27/10/2011 by thorfourwinds because: color

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Don't read Japanese, even so, seems (surprise surprise) some crucial data has been redacted, but to answer your question, the level would not have been consistent since March because the water injection has not been consistent. Also, deposits are only going to form at certain temperatures, and at high temperatures 800 degrees + you are going to see salt metals, fun fun, but we aren't seeing this in the RPV's (um ya) and in the SFP's fire would be a far worse problem to worry about at that point. Another problem is the rate of flushing, water coming into the system is going to bring salt but also flush out salt as it exits, provided there is an exit.

Is there an exit? Do you know? Does anyone know? We've got an RPV with a hole in the bottom where all the corium went, so yes, we have a 'flushing' system. I don't exactly know why they continue to insist on the fallacy of containment, unless we've got some blobs still on the secondary floor or left in the reactor/s and at this point, not bloody likely, who knows what they are 'flushing' and where it's going? In which case, where is the salt accumulating and why are you concerned? We've covered this ground a bit before, what are you specifically worried about?

One thing that's driving me nuts is why we would have pressure readings in RPV's when we know we've had 'melt through' 'loss of containment' 'drippy bits exiting' 'blobs of goo and nastiness'. When you take a closed system and put a whole in it, well, well, well... mr. floppy, no pressure. Kinda like an air mattress after your dog bites a whole it while you're floating with a nice drink in your hand, a book in the other and... anyway that's another story!

top topics

<< 1100  1101  1102    1104  1105  1106 >>

join