It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1053.htm
<< 1050  1051  1052    1054  1055  1056 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   

An interesting short movie on what could be future Japan.

Seriously, people in SOME parts of Japan SHOULD be living like that already.
edit on 6-9-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815

Efforts to stabilize Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, crippled by a March tsunami which triggered a nuclear crisis, are running ahead of schedule, according to the president of the Tokyo Electric Power Company, which operates the plant. Toshio Nishizawa told CNN Monday he hopes to achieve the second phase of the shutdown before a January deadline. "I cannot promise you, but if things go smoothly with careful control, it is possible to bring the cold shutdown forward," said Nishizawa.

Wow, WTF is happening. I was just getting ready to start typing and this thing posted three times without touching anything. I dont get it.

Anyway, i was just going to say that those Tepco folks are some of the world's best comedians if nothing else.

Please ignore the next two posts. Dont know why there even there. Weird.
edit on 6-9-2011 by zworld because: (no reason given)

link   

link   

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by zworld

Efforts to stabilize Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, crippled by a March tsunami which triggered a nuclear crisis, are running ahead of schedule, according to the president of the Tokyo Electric Power Company, which operates the plant. Toshio Nishizawa told CNN Monday he hopes to achieve the second phase of the shutdown before a January deadline. "I cannot promise you, but if things go smoothly with careful control, it is possible to bring the cold shutdown forward," said Nishizawa.

Anyway, i was just going to say that those Tepco folks are some of the world's best comedians if nothing else.

Do you still believe into the most horrible scenario?
You think "a cold Shutdown" is impossible because of the technical Problems
and the molten-through Corium?

I still do not know what's going on there and waiting for the new A. Gunderson/ Fairwinds Video!

Ps: i bought today an old Radiation Checker,
the next Weeks i will hiking through my Neighbourhood
and check out everything like the Schoolground, the Soccer- and Baseballfields
our Gardens and the River, i hope this will give me a little clarification
and a better Insideview!

Yesterday was also a big Meeting in Yokohama where the PTA discussed
with the City-Council, i will try to get Infos tomorrow for all the Reader here,
The Food at School is kind of a holy Grail here in Japan

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by zworld

Do you still believe into the most horrible scenario?
You think "a cold Shutdown" is impossible because of the technical Problems
and the molten-through Corium?

I still do not know what's going on there and waiting for the new A. Gunderson/ Fairwinds Video!

Ps: i bought today an old Radiation Checker,
the next Weeks i will hiking through my Neighbourhood
and check out everything like the Schoolground, the Soccer- and Baseballfields
our Gardens and the River, i hope this will give me a little clarification
and a better Insideview!

Yesterday was also a big Meeting in Yokohama where the PTA discussed
with the City-Council, i will try to get Infos tomorrow for all the Reader here,
The Food at School is kind of a holy Grail here in Japan

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Waste Treatment/Cesium Absorption Alarms going off and stopped

At the 9am plant status rpt:

-At 5:51 am on September 6, the decontamination instruments of Waste Treatment Facility stopped with an alarm showing power supply trouble of High Speed Coagulation Settling Facility. We restarted the instruments by resetting the system. However, at 6:21 am, the same alarm and serious fault alarm went off, and the decontamination instruments and Cesium adsorption Instruments stopped.

www.tepco.co.jp...

At the 3pm status rpt. looks like it's still offline....and "mixer trouble":

- From 10:11 am to 2:54 pm on September 6, we transferred accumulated water in turbine building of Unit 2 from the condenser to the basement. * In the previous announcement of plant status as of 10 am this was described as power supply trouble, but we have corrected it into mixer trouble.

www.tepco.co.jp...

Just like Z stated awhile ago, TEPCO seems to have a gazillion names for the same thing and keeps their rpts so confusing.

So anyone want to join in here as to deciphering what the hell is going on...

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I went back to the July 2nd film, shot June 29th and took another screen capture with as much roof showing as possible over the #4 cap. The angle isn't quite the same, but when you compare it to the roof over the cap on April 15...things sure look different. Also we know from the infa-red film [June 26th] and other black and white footage, that there was a lot of flashing/burning/steaming the whole last week of June, so it makes sense that they would send guys in to film it for comparison. I also noticed what looks like 2 separate plumes on the June 26 film. An east and west side plume. Yet the pool runs north south, doesn't it?

www.dailymotion.com...
And a B+W clip from June 27-28
www.youtube.com.../search/16/xQJdG777htg

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive

The new filtration system is as useless as the old one, when it comes to zillions of rads, and #2 is still leaking into the sea like crazy. How's that? I especially liked the "An abnorrmal noise was heard" part!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

New Arnie audio...

ifyoulovethisplanet.org...

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

edit on 6-9-2011 by Aircooled because: Because Human got the interview up, just before me.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled

I also noticed what looks like 2 separate plumes on the June 26 film. An east and west side plume. Yet the pool runs north south, doesn't it?

Ive thought the same thing, that columns of steam coming from R4 sometimes look like two separate events. But this is the dilemma with R4 and its mysterious explosion and subsequent steam expulsions. There isnt any fuel in the reactor, and the SFP is intact and not running hot enough to create the levels of steam observed. So where could one, let alone two, sources of steam come from.

For me, this is one of those places where I really need to insert the UC into the equation to come up with anything that makes sense.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Because Ive had so much trouble deciphering radiation levels and amounts of possible exposure, I am doing another schooling for myself with trying to understand the different ways they express radiation contamination.

The first thing that threw me off was the use of different volumes. One minute it was squared, then cubed, then something else, or it was for different periods of time, (if you were exposed for an hour or a day or a year). And Tepco, being a classic corporate clown show, run by people who know golf and manicures and Grand Cayman accounts, but don't know sh!t about real world occurrences, jumped from one descriptor to another with no explanation of it's importance.

So anyway, at least for me, and probably others, here is the 'Layperson's Radiation Primer'. And please, those of you that have known this stuff since high school, try and understand that some of us had very important things to do during those years (ie wilderness trips, surfing, band rehearsals, beautiful chicks everywhere) and school was forced to take a back seat. In fact, everytime I run into a high school graduate I think, 'there but for the grace of god go I'.

Okay, so for all my hoodlum friends, here goes.

First you have atoms, which when connected in a specific pattern via chemical bonds, come together to make molecules and other elements. Atoms are more or less the basic building block of life, and consists of three elements known as subatomic particles; protons and neutrons (collectively called nucleons) found in the inner part of the atom (the nucleus), and electrons outside this center.

Two forces work separate of each other to hold an atom together. One is an electromagnetic force, which keeps the electrons orbiting the nucleus, and the other is called the residual strong force (or nuclear force) which keeps the protons and neutrons in their proper place in the nucleus. However, the nuclear force that holds neutrons and protons together is a weak force, and easily upset in two specific ways. One, if there are too many protons to neutrons, then the repellant force of the protons will overcome the nuclear force and protons will be emitted. And two, being a weak force, the nuclear force has a limited range and can only hold so many particles together inside the nucleus at one time, with 208 being the known maximum. Beyond this the atomic structure is said to be unstable, and emits nucleons.

If the ratio of neutrons to protons is in the right proportions and the total number of nucleons is below 209, the element is said to be stable.

The process of emitting particles independent of any nuclear reaction is called radioactive decay, and this is the monster that needs to be measured for exposure estimates. There are four basic types of decay emission by-products; alpha particles, beta particles, gamma rays and neutrons, and these emissions are measured in two different ways; by the actual amount emitted (becquerels) and by the effect on a biological system (sieverts).

The measurement that measures the actual number of particles emitted is called becquerels. A becquerel is equivalent to one nucleus disintegration per second. (Measurements of counts per second (cps) and counts per minute (cpm) can be converted roughly to becquerels). Since anything radioactive can emit millions of particles per second, logarithmic descriptors are used to describe emission levels, ie 1.5 x 10/+8 which is 1.5 times 10 to the 8th power. Multiplying to the eighth power of 10 means multiplying by 10 eight times (1.5 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10), or 1.5 x 10 with 7 zeroes added = 150,000,000.

A sievert on the other hand is a unit of measurement that attempts to quantitatively evaluate the biological effects of ionizing radiation as opposed to the physical aspects defined by becquerels. Therefore, the same amount of alpha particles will register a higher sievert reading than gamma rays as the alpha particles are biologically more dangerous.

A rough analysis of biological effects as they relate to sieverts is that whole body exposure to 500 mSv can cause the first stages of acute radiation sickness, 4,500 mSv, (or 4.5 Sv) will kill 50 percent from acute radiation poisoning, and 6,000 mSv (or 6 Sv) will kill 100%.

Unlike becquerels, a sievert is in and of itself a large dose of radiation, which is why it is often measured in milli and micro amounts, ie 1 sievert (Sv) = 1,000 millisieverts (mSv) = 1,000,000 microsieverts (μSv). Sieverts are also measured in different values of time, ie by the hour Sv/h, by the day Sv/d and by the year Sv/y.

What sieverts don't do is measure the potential for cancer to initiate, or any other long term chronic effect, from radiation. It is well known, though, that cancer can be initiated by one hot particle that has entered a biological system. For humans this is usually the result of a hot particle taken into the lungs, where it lodges, and continues to emit heat and destructive rays.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
enenews.com...
Imagine....Tepco has no idea how much radiation is being released from #3 ?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
"The real situation in fukushima" German report. English subtitles.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I thought this was quite an interesting comment made on enenews: (my bold emphrasis)

on enenews in the comments on this page

we have on September 5, 2011 at 8:55 pm
Pallas89juno saying

Dear Patb: You’re right. It is “insane” on the inside of at least Reactor 1 and Fukushima Dai ichi. Each new peak in radioactivity is a higher value and more radioactive than the previous peak radioactivity. At first several months ago, I was certain that someone was miss-translating that the R1 radiation peaks at that time were on the order of 100 SIEVERTS per hour (Sv/hr) or 87,000 SIEVERTS (not micro, not milli sieverts) per year! I thought to myself that this couldn’t possibly be happening; but I was wrong. Whomever was reporting that or duplicating a media report about these, complete with graphs somewhere under the tabs at the top of the ENE site, were correct. The latest figures that I’m aware of for at least Reactor 1 inside are on the order of at least 400 Sv/hr, which generally would stun anyone getting within a 100 feet or more into a coma and instant death and causes instant failure of any and all digital equipment and will warp the metals, from radiation and not from thermal radiation, in most mechanical devices so that they cannot function at all. Study Chernobyl in the better documentaries where they discuss these effects, but, unfortunately not in great depth.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
A strange little light anomaly on the tepco cam, in the bushes on Aug 20th.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical

Originally posted by Silverlok
reply to post by zorgon

Same reason as before man the thermal output of all that fissioning ( but not constant rapid criticality ) mass that just keeps getting larger a the bottom of those reactor basins , they can't re-use the water because it gets too radio active , and hot , so they are STILL doing the cheapest thing possible : ocean cooling, didn't Aeons pull the patent on that ocean as a storage tank rig yet? then we could slap Tepco like good patent trolls.

They could dig some pretty deep trenches fairly quickly with those nifty remote controlled backhoes, take the tanks off of tanker trucks link a few together and stick the cooling units of of refrigerator trucks on them , spray the trenches with the organo silane they already have on site in case of spills , throw a few feet of dirt on top to help radiation shielding and you would have a down and dirty MacGyver cooling unit , they could use a D.E. , Sand or cf138 filtration medium ( standard pool and industrial filtering equipment ) to help reduce the radionuclides and then only have to figure out how to handle and dispose of the waster media when they flush it ...not ideal but better tahn uranium and plutonium fluorcarbons analogs whafting every damn place

Thanks for starting up the wayback machine, Wert. Some of these older posts are uncannily accurate.

I bet this MacGuyver cooling is what they were doing with those backhoes AC caught in the zoomed webcam pics.

Got any more good ideas for Tepco et al, my friend?

possibly , when I figure out how to get caught up and land this telephone booth ;-)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok

snip

possibly , when I figure out how to get caught up and land this telephone booth ;-)

Then until that time, be excellent!

Too crazy how what was talked about months and months ago is bearing itself out. Speaks to the quality of the minds intent upon extracting every bit of information, pouring over it, and the coming to extremely accurate conclusions based on the tiniest amount of factual data.

Imagine what could be accomplished with an unrestricted and precise flow of information...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
There is talk of the Japanese authorities visiting Chernobyl to learn from that disaster. It maybe too late to learn some things, but I suppose they can seee what the whole area is like, after all this time since 1986.

Please forgive me if this has been posted earlier, but as with so many things, when you come across something excellent, you want to share it, and some - like me - may not have found it yet.

I have just started to read this Ukrainian girl, Elena's photojournal of Chernobyl and I think it will be good for all of us to really see what it is like all this time afterwards. Her father was in the nuclear industry and evacuated her from the area as soon as the radiation started to rise after the explosion.

Ghost Town and Land of Wolves

Under one on the images it says

This old man lives in the Chernobyl area. He is one of 3.500 people that either refused to leave or returned to their villages after the meltdown in 1986. I admire those people, because each of them is a philosopher in their own way. When you ask if they are afraid, they say that they would rather die at home from radiation, than die in an unfamiliar place of home-sickness. They eat food from their own gardens, drink the milk of their cows and claim that they are healthy.....but the old man is one of only 400 that have survived this long. He may soon join his 3,100 neighbors that rest eternally in the earth of their beloved homes. It appears that the people with the most courage were the first to die here. Maybe that is true everywhere.

There have been a couple of threads on ATS highlighting this site and I thought we could have a link to it in our thread too. It is excellent and highly recommended.
Ghost Town-Required Reading
Ode To Silence - the Chernobyl Tour

top topics

<< 1050  1051  1052    1054  1055  1056 >>

join