It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 101.htm
<< 98  99  100    102  103  104 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Many people won't move. But even in the Best Case Scenario, my government needs to be prepared. We don't get a little bit of traffic from Japan. Our economy isn't a little bit tied to Japanese economy. Our economy functions as a small Asian economy.

And there is no plan that moves 127 Million people in any reasonable manner in a constrained period of time.

South Korea isn't holding military practice in the area for no reason. If the southern part of the Island needs to be evacuated, the Northern half isn't nearly as developed to hold that many people. None of their neighbours are terribly friendly with them. Russia is about their best close by hope that can be done in a constrained period of time.

Worst Case Scenario. There simply isn't a plan that deals with that. There isn't a plan that deals with that in the political and population environment of this disaster.

I'll stop now. The moment that this goes to Level 7 I'll start a thread on the Japanese Immigrantion Tsunami.
edit on 2011/3/15 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Update

1:29 p.m. ET Tuesday, 2:29 a.m. Wednesday in Tokyo] The beleagured crew at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant had to abandon the control room Tuesday night because of high radiation levels, Kyodo News reported, citing plant owner Tokyo Electric Power Company. They were monitoring data from a remote site, Kyodo reported.

[12:40 p.m. ET Tuesday, 1:40 a.m. Wednesday in Tokyo] Operators at the quake-damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant and government officials are considering a plan to use helicopters to drop water into the cooling pond through the damaged roof of the reactor building, according to a Kyodo News report. Concerns about hot radioactive fuel boiling off cooling water and catching on fire continued into Wednesday.

Source

I'm not sure if this is the control room for the entire plant or a reactor. Sharing the latest update. Prayers for Japan.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Effects of Radiation Levels on the Human Body
Dose-rem Effects
5-20 Possible late effects; possible chromosomal damage.
20-100 Temporary reduction in white blood cells.
100-200 Mild radiation sickness within a few hours: vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue; reduction in resistance to infection.
200-300 Serious radiation sickness effects as in 100-200 rem and hemorrhage; exposure is a Lethal Dose to 10-35% of the population after 30 days (LD 10-35/30).
300-400 Serious radiation sickness; also marrow and intestine destruction; LD 50-70/30.
400-1000 Acute illness, early death; LD 60-95/30.
1000-5000 Acute illness, early death in days; LD 100/10.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Just want to remind those that are watching radiationnetwork.com that Denver is a mile high altitude, and ALWAYS has far higher levels of radiation than the rest of the country because it's so close to space. 80 is a totally normal number to see in Denver. 130 (or close) is what you're watching for, and you won't miss it if it happens.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
ALL OF JAPAN NEEDS TO BE EVACUATED ASAP.

I don't know that is entirely true/accurate. Certainly, there will be contamination in large portions of Fukushima Prefect, and possibly some distance North and South of there along that side of the mountain range. Obviously, there will be material being released over a period of time (days?, weeks?), and over that time wind directions change. So the area will be pretty wide. But, "All of Japan" seems over-stated?

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
radiation effect on human body
edit on 15-3-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Mar 15 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: --Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The Effects of Nuclear war (pdf)
edit on 15-3-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Mar 15 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: --Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TribeOfManyColours
Effects of Radiation Levels on the Human Body
Dose-rem Effects
5-20 Possible late effects; possible chromosomal damage.
20-100 Temporary reduction in white blood cells.
100-200 Mild radiation sickness within a few hours: vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue; reduction in resistance to infection.
200-300 Serious radiation sickness effects as in 100-200 rem and hemorrhage; exposure is a Lethal Dose to 10-35% of the population after 30 days (LD 10-35/30).
300-400 Serious radiation sickness; also marrow and intestine destruction; LD 50-70/30.
400-1000 Acute illness, early death; LD 60-95/30.
1000-5000 Acute illness, early death in days; LD 100/10.

In portland they show now 43. Is that the same 43 as stated here. Temporary reduction in white blood cells?

Does that mean in Chiba they had 180? They should start feeling sick in a few hours?

I dont understand the numbers

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Ok instead of going back and editing old numbers, I will start here and edit this one as I find more detail..

Amount of Spent Fuel rods on site

At Fukushima each reactor has between 60 and 83 tons of spent fuel rods stored next to them
TheNation

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

No, nowhere in the US has levels like that. 130 is the level where it starts getting dangerous, and they would investigate what was going on. But even 130 wouldn't start harming people's health. It would be higher than natural sources can account for, however.

From the site:

How to Read the Map:
Referring to the Map Legend at the bottom left corner of the map, locate Monitoring Stations around the country that are contributing radiation data to this map as you read this, and watch the numbers on those monitoring stations update as frequently as every 3 minutes (your browser will automatically refresh). The numbers represent radiation Counts per Minute, abbreviated CPM, and under normal conditions, quantify the level of background radiation, i.e. environmental radiation from outer space as well as from the earth's crust and air. Depending on your location within the US, your elevation or altitude, and your model of Geiger counter, this background radiation level might average anywhere from 5 to 60 CPM, and while background radiation levels are random, it would be unusual for those levels to exceed 130 CPM. Thus, the "Alert Level" for the National Radiation Map is 130 CPM, so if you see any Monitoring Stations with CPM value above 130, further indicated by an Alert symbol over those stations, it probably means that some radioactive source above and beyond background radiation is responsible.

edit on 15-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

The data that you have shown is measured in rem while the the readings that you are hearing are a mix of rem, msv, and other measurements.

0.001 rem = 1 mrem = 0.01 mSv
0.01 rem = 10 mrem = 0.1 mSv
0.1 rem = 100 mrem = 1 mSv = 0.001 Sv
1 rem = 1000 mrem = 10 mSv = 0.01 Sv
10 rem = 100 mSv = 0.1 Sv
100 rem = 1000 mSv = 1 Sv (Sievert)
1000 rem = 10 Sv
edit on 15-3-2011 by premierepastimes because: added conversion

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The live radiation page is down,. What they he? I sure hope someone is not trying to hide something@!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

No, it's not. Just go to the main site. I think they simply made it easier to be indexed by Google.

I've been watching it all morning, after taking the rest of the URL off the main address.

edit on 15-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

Try www.radiationnetwork.com... I doubt the site is ready to handle such a huge volume of watchers.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by premierepastimes

I think they probably have upped their server capacity, but putting the map on the entrance page will make their website soar in Google traffic. Much better ranking if your front page has the most traffic.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine
The live radiation page is down,. What they he? I sure hope someone is not trying to hide something@!

Probably just over-loaded with lots of people interested in checking-it out.
This part I can attest to, as that actually is the field I work in (Information Technology, Web-Servers, etc.).
Most web-servers (depending on the CPU, memory, OS, etc.) can only handle 100-1,000 simultaneous hits.
To handle anything larger, requires a "farm" of web servers with some "load-balancing" mechanism, or a subscription-based solution to the web site in massive public "cloud" (like Amazon's).
That's obviously a much more expensive setup than a single web server.

For example, I doubt Tepco's public site was a farm - probably a single server, because it just doesn't make sense for them to spend a lot of money on a "farm", when 99.99% of the time it doesn't get hit at the kind of volume it like has the last few days.

edit on 2011-3-15 by EnhancedInterrogator because: spelling, grammar, etc

edit on 2011-3-15 by EnhancedInterrogator because: grammer.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Radiation Network now has a Japan radiation page but they are still waiting to hear back from their local contact to start monitoring there. Hopefully it will become active soon!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by kithylin

This is a level 7 event. If anything, it will exceed Chernobyl - 6 plants plus spent rods. Governments don't like admitting to such things, so it may be anywhere from hours to weeks for the official word to come down, but we have just witnessed the reality of The China Syndrome.

TheRedneck

I can confirm what you are saying. I was in contact with my friends in Japan. They were literally weeping while I was talking to them. The situation at the plant is out of control. Workers are leaving their posts because of fear of the radiation. At this point the site is just about lost, all attempts to cool the reactors is failing. The brave men still there are losing the battle. They are not saying officially yet but the entire site will have to be abandoned. They will have to seal it off and nobody will be able to live around that area for hundreds of years. My friends are preparing to leave Japan now, they are going to fly to LA to stay with family.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Bit worrying:-

1739: Some 500 bone marrow transplant centres across Europe are being asked to be on standby to treat Japanese radiation victims if the need arises.

From bbc live website:-

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Also how many explosions have been noted to date as this is on the bbc live website ???

1823: The BBC's Chris Hogg in Tokyo says there are now believed to have been four blasts at Fukushima. The fourth reportedly occured in reactor four, where spent fuel rods are stored, he says.

www.bbc.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<< 98  99  100    102  103  104 >>

join