It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does everyone here act like television dumbs you down? Mainstream music dumbs you down even mor

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
It has recently occurred to me that music dumbs you down a lot more than television shows or whatever you watch. I am not much of a TV watcher (I'm more of a Netflix/sports goer). But, I honestly have to say that I think I've wasted a lot more of my life listening to music all the time and not talking to people while I've been listening to music than I have with any other thing.

At least when you're watching television you are exposed to stimuli, no matter how bad nor how sinister, it gets you talking about things and if you don't think about what you watch, at least you are able to observe what people on TV do. But with music, it's only auditory and while it's good for concentration, if music is all you're doing and not used in the background noise for something, I think that dumbs you down in my opinion a lot worse than TV does. It dumbs you down both socially and mentally. Music doesn't make you dumb per se, but, it dumbs you down more than TV does and if you're not doing it as part of a social activity, than you're kind of just wasting time.

It just seems weird that people say television is a waste of time, but, at least you're being exposed to the outside world whereas if you're just listening to music, than you're really doing nothing. It's fine some of the time but if you do it all the time it can be a problem.
edit on 10-3-2011 by Frankidealist35 because: To avoid a broad generalization

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Music has inspired many great minds throughout history. T.V. has inspired none. Don't know how you can even make this comparison without actual scientific evidence. Unless you mean people driving down the street with their 12' subs who are blasting young jeezy.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Greetings,

Obviously your not listening to classical music.

Just a thought.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by LogicMan07

That's mostly what I was talking about. I do not discount all the intellectual songs that have been produced that have inspired many great people throughout history. But the music that most people listen today (wow, I sound old, but I'm actually only 21) seems to just be pretty much for fun and enjoyment purposes rather than intellectual stimulation.

reply to post by GeorgeH

I've listened to all sorts of music and I feel like I've wasted my time listening to music if I wasn't doing something socially or using it to help me concentrate. Sure it's fun, but it's an unproductive time-waster at best.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
depends on the kind of music youre talking about sir.

mainstream rap, hip hop, pop, country, and rock i will agree with do nothing but dumb people down because of the subliminal messages. it also definitely keeps people from learning about different ideas, cultures, and so on.

opera, classical music, and metal (real metal. not that bs like avenged seven fold and crap like that). classical music and real metal comes from all over the world, shares different cultural backgrounds. for example a good number of metal bands i listen to come from asia, the middle east, europe, and south america. most of the bands lyrical content have to do with ancient cultures of those areas. classical music and opera i shouldnt have to explain anything about other than its a proven fact that both of those stimulate brain function and creativity. metal is also extremely comparable to classical music.

so music in a way, yes does dumb people down. but thats the crap like lady gaga, jay z (who is an illuminati btw), britaney spears, justin beiber and so on. but it also helps stimulate the brain and promote creativity. real music is like weed. it helps the brain and saves lives

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
TV in general is bad for you. Yes. But there are some informative videos and documentaries. It's the general programming that's bad for you. Music is relative and requires taste. Mainstream typically sux.

But you can't convince me that Ween, Frank Zappa, The Pixies, Celtic Frost, Daniel Johnston, Beck, Mr. Bungle, Captain Beefhart, Dinosaur Jr., Bela Fleck, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Clutch, The Bad Livers, Butthole Surfers, Sound Of Urchin, Fear, Hammer On Trial, The Minutemen and so on and on and on are dumbing me down. Sorry.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

troo dat..

the whole "im proud to be an american" song has to be making people dumber every time it plays. look at who listens to it the most, the dumbest among us.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I think it's stupid to say either one dumbs you down, to be honest. I see what you mean, though.

For someone who is open minded and looks for the truth, watching TV isn't going to negatively effect them. For the idiots that blindly follow anything, NOT watching TV isn't going to help them.

I will agree TV is a waste of time if you watch like 10 hours a day of it. But I don't see why TV is any lower than listening to music, reading a book, watching a movie, or browsing the internet (forums)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I wish music would dumb me down! Something! I look around and see all the crap going on in this world and it makes me so angry! Most of it is senseless greed! Music soothes me... and if only for a moment, some of it helps me escape to a calm place... I'm not a big tv watcher. When I feel the need, I pop Lonesome Dove in and relax!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I would agree but most people do not listen to lyrics anyways. I always listen to the lyrics to see the story but when you talk to people about lyrics they have no idea.

I guess people just listen to the beat of the song, but to say that music dumbs us down more is an incorrect statement.

Nothing can dumb us down, some people are naturally dumb and love dumb things, while some people can be exposed to these "dumb" things and see the worth of them. TV is one of the better inventions of our time, there are plenty of educational programs and lots to be learned. It depends on what you watch.

It's like the drug ideology, some people smoke pot and are detrimental to society, but chances are that before they used they were a detriment already, whereas I know plenty of very educated people that use and they are more on their game.

Some people are just dumb, it doesn't matter what they watch, listen or do, and vice versa.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

With that said I agree. Alot of modern music does nothing to promote good. But I will say this, I listen to alot of different music from indie to rock to rap. Each genre of music helps with different situations or moods i'm in. If I feel like working out I might throw on metal or rap to get adrenaline rushing, if I'm feeling chill I might throw in some brand new or something.
As for making us literally dumber Im not sure about unless you are listening to music at very high frequencies in which it may disrupt your brain cells but I have not heard of this although I don't know. T.V. is all around bad for you in general, many people watch up to 7-8 hours of television a day in which that time could be spent doing something more productive, and these people are not watching discovery or national geographic.
You also have console games like grand theft auto which could be a psychological factor for young children. Theres nothing we can really do about this, and it seems as if this is what our government wants to keep us from educating ourselves about real problems and the world around us, like for instance what the heck they are doing.
edit on 10-3-2011 by LogicMan07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I'd like to disagree. Many artists have truly thought provoking songs, as TV has thought provoking shows. It is all about who or what you choose to listen to.

True artists who do it solely for the music and the feel are typically good and thouroughly think through a song, with many underlayers to them, even if you dont recognize them at the time.

People who do the music to make money though, I would agree, they are a waste of time.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
like said above it depends on the music you listen too

example: N.W.A:

but...... there are positive songs that don't dumb you down....

Example:fabulous:

Be positive and don't let the bull # mainstream media sway you from staying positive

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Actually,music is my savoir.I listen to it all the time.But my music is almost always new,indie,folk blue grass,whatever.But never ever pop.I have the greatest public radio station in the world here in Louisville,KY.
It has been said listen to new music keeps your mind sharp.Reality tv,like idol,dancing,cakeboss,survivor and so on.That dumbs you down.Sit coms,like modern family,big bang theory makes you laugh and its good for you.
Top 40,just like reality shows are,well,I'm gonna catch hell for this,for dumb people.
God I hope my wife doesn't read this!
But thats my opinon,any music is much better that tv.As long as its fresh and not always the oldies all the time are classic rock all the time.Exposing yourself to new things like different kinds of music is good brain food.
edit on 10-3-2011 by kdog1982 because: added

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

I like N.W.A.

I guess if it sounds pretty like this you may like them better.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Okay, wow, I can't believe how wrong I was about music. I must have been listening to really crappy music before. I'm listening to Coda right now (an indie band) and it's way better than any of the other rock crap that I've heard. I can actually hear the lyrics and they actually mean something. I think I might need to check out more indie stuff... I guess I should edit the topic title to be make it less of a generalization of music in general.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

No it still sucks and it's still bull# it's negative and unrealistic i'm not a fan of that "slum is cool" attitude.

I like inspirational songs if i'm about to play a tennis match, and relaxation before i go to bed and in the morning.

But it's whatever you wanna listen to man,

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
And don't get me going on sports,cause it's March madness here in basketball country and people are walking around like zombies with there brackets!!!Here it's nothing but ,basketball,basketball,basketball!!

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Most newer music is not the best influence on anyone. I grew up with Punk. A majority had a political unertow about it. There are some new songs I can relate with. Not the rap about grabbin @rse and getting laid.
I think one has to listen to any song, not just hear it.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
Okay, wow, I can't believe how wrong I was about music. I must have been listening to really crappy music before. I'm listening to Coda right now (an indie band) and it's way better than any of the other rock crap that I've heard. I can actually hear the lyrics and they actually mean something. I think I might need to check out more indie stuff... I guess I should edit the topic title to be make it less of a generalization of music in general.

Dude,go to www.wfpk.org,listen live or pull up there playlist and open your eyes to the real music that is out there.
There is an abundance.There logo is free your mind.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join