It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does everyone here act like television dumbs you down? Mainstream music dumbs you down even mor

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
Most newer music is not the best influence on anyone. I grew up with Punk. A majority had a political unertow about it. There are some new songs I can relate with. Not the rap about grabbin @rse and getting laid.
I think one has to listen to any song, not just hear it.

Listening to the wrong stuff,man,free your mind.Open your eyes there is so much out there that is not being played.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Who have you at there have heard of The Drive By Truckers,Ben Harper,Adele,Old 97's,BellX1,
The Seedy Seeds?And so many more.Radio is the same as MSM.My station is like ATS of music.
New,fresh,happening and underground.
This is my true passion,music.
I am always searching for something new,hard,funky,cajun whatever.When they play "Back in Black" by ACDC in a bluegrass cover,you will see.
edit on 10-3-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Sure! I'll check it out. I'll have been listening to www.wboc.org and they're playing a lot of independent hip-hop tonight and I think I actually really like it. Do you have any recommendations for me as to who I might like? I just still can't believe that I've been listening to crap music this whole time.
edit on 10-3-2011 by Frankidealist35 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Sorry, double post
edit on 10-3-2011 by Frankidealist35 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgeH

Obviously, because the writer states "mainstream" music, classical music hasn't been mainstream for a few hundred years.
I listen to classical and classic rock, the current music makes me queasy.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

Sure! I'll have been listening to www.wboc.org and they're playing a lot of independent hip-hop tonight and I think I actually really like it. Do you have any recommendations for me as to who I might like? I just still can't believe that I've been listening to crap music this whole time.

Try www.wfpk.org,never really heard them play hip hop,but they have different schedules on what they play.
Like on sundays,all they play is jazz.But its variety.Like,A song with a carribean sound singing about My Booty,My big fat Booty.Its cool.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

People who say things like music, TV, movies, or video games dumb people down are just insecure about themselves and need to feel like they are superior than the rest of the "sheep." They need a scapegoat to validate their excuses on why they are "not a sheep," so they usually fall back on the Roman "bread and circus" argument.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

People who say things like music, TV, movies, or video games dumb people down are just insecure about themselves and need to feel like they are superior than the rest of the "sheep." They need a scapegoat to validate their excuses on why they are "not a sheep," so they usually fall back on the Roman "bread and circus" argument.

It's ok to like american idol,it's your choice.But if that kinda thing is all you watch,well.
But if you are on here so you don't fall in that catagory.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Hey Frankie, I kinda agree with you, but I think it mainly depends on the music you listen too.
A lot has to do with how you appreciate the music, which one can do so only after they've made an attempt at playing some sort of musical instrument.
It's also about feeling, emotion and dynamics.

The way I see it, it can only be condidered music only when there is musical instrument involved and lyrics are at a bare minimum,
...which means hip hop and rap are out of the question.

This is where I agree with you.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

wboc.org... where is the music?

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by zodgilla60
reply to post by GeorgeH

Obviously, because the writer states "mainstream" music, classical music hasn't been mainstream for a few hundred years.
I listen to classical and classic rock, the current music makes me queasy.

Search like you do on ats,the current mainstream sucks,in my opinon.There is a mountain of independant,singer-song writers out there.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX

wboc.org... where is the music?

www.wfpk.org not www.wboc.org

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Louisiana huh? alright dude i'll check it out thanks

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Hey Frankie, I kinda agree with you, but I think it mainly depends on the music you listen too.
A lot has to do with how you appreciate the music, which one can do so only after they've made an attempt at playing some sort of musical instrument.
It's also about feeling, emotion and dynamics.

The way I see it, it can only be condidered music only when there is musical instrument involved and lyrics are at a bare minimum,
...which means hip hop and rap are out of the question.

This is where I agree with you.

I am passionate about music and attempt to play my guitar.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX

Louisiana huh? alright dude i'll check it out thanks

Kentucky,and thank you

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

It's ok to like american idol,it's your choice.But if that kinda thing is all you watch,well.
But if you are on here so you don't fall in that catagory.

I hate that damn show. My wife watches sometimes, and I laugh when Simon would tell people off.

But I usually leave the room when she watches.

I prefer House, NCIS, Law and Order, CSI.

Oh geez . . . I am seeing a trend. All the shows I like have someone who acts like Simon from American Idol.

OMG. lol

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

It has recently occurred to me that music dumbs you down a lot more than television shows or whatever you watch.

I was just having this discussion with my father today ,, so weird..

He told me that radio dumbs you down, and I told him that television uses one more of the senses to dumb you down, he was silent after that.

Radio, uses audio to dumb a person down.
Television uses audio and vision to dumb a person down.

What is more effective to dumb a person down, audio, or audio and video at the same time.?

I really think that FM and AM commercial radio is a form of forced fed propaganda.

I really think that Television in all forms, is forced fed propaganda.

The internet on the other hand is interactive, and gives the user a more valuable tool to choose his or her propaganda.

It is worth debate though I agree, which is manipulating the populous more, TV, or Radio. ??

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

or ignore the propaganda and play video games!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
All you need to do to avoid the dumbing down is take a step out of the mainstream...

I think most, if not all the top 40 artists are absolutely horrendous - The Mainstream music is trash...

But there are amazing music artists in all the genres putting out good tracks all the time...

I like rock, been listening to moe., Umphrey's McGee, some jam-electronic like STS9 and Lotus...

I think that the dumb folk of the world will be listening and buying the crap in Mainstream as long as its there...Best I can do is expose more ears to new original talented music!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

I totally disagree with the OP.
Music is a primal part of us, drum beats, imo, are reminiscent of heart beats.
Yeah, lots of mainstream generic pop music is awfull and only there to generate money, but that shouldn't tar all music with the same brush.
T.V imo, is just a propaganda/ consumer machine.

You might want to check out this.

If you experience "mind fog" after watching television, you are not alone. Studies have shown that watching television induces low alpha waves in the human brain. Alpha waves are brainwaves between 8 to 12 HZ. and are commonly associated with relaxed meditative states as well as brain states associated with suggestibility.

edit on 11-3-2011 by BrianDamage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join