Why does everyone here act like television dumbs you down? Mainstream music dumbs you down even mor

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Alot of popular song are just stupid.
Black and Yellow.
nuff said

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
It is a matter of opinion for or against TV. It is your choice. I have had a lot of positives results, when keeping my grandchildren. my 11 yr old grandson is interested in dinosaurs and has learned about them mostly from TV. . My 6 yr old grand daughter wants to learn the Chinese language. She watches ..Ni Hao, Ka-lan. She practices the words she has learned on all of us. It's not all bad.
You could say the same for the internet..and again it is how you use it, a matter of choice.

Also using the internet could be bad for your eye sight. Computer screens causes the eyes to reform thousands of times a day for a worker who uses it for 6 to 8 hours a day.
My son and oldest daughter are already finding that their eye sight is failing. Their jobs require the use of a computer all day.
My son who is a computer programmer and is also going to school uses a computer many hours in a 12 hr. day.
I can also see a difference in my eye sight in the last 3 years by being on a computer to just play on it., looking up stuff, paying bills, talking on a forum etc...
As a matter of fact, I called my Optometrist this morning for an appointment.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I agree...somewhat. Music might be able to dumb you down...however, if you are learning to play said music, then it is actually making you better.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Wrong? Not at all. Music is, like any other media, what you allow it to be. I listen to most every kind of music up until the recent trend of hip hop/rap from the early 80's.

There's mindless drivel out there, but there's also music that uplifts. It all depends upon what you're listening to. ...and what you're listening for. I listen to music when doing anything. My preferences run towards classical, bluegrass, and early 80's rock. I daresay it's not "dumbed" me down too much...

So you weren't wrong at all...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Im assuming this is sarcasm ?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The thing about music is that there are few other things that can have such a direct effect on people and cause such a physical change. Anyone who has ever seen the philharmonic live can attest to the power of music and it's ability to stir intense emotions. The difference between music and television is that television offers a lot of different physical stimuli, many of which require some sort of mental participation in the form of interpretation and inner dialogue.

Music can act as a direct line to people's emotions and can be a powerful tool to sway people one way or another. I also think that since many forms of popular music are so repetitive they can have a negative effect on people's cognitive abilities.

Over all, however, I think people are just stupid in general and that is the way things are. Most people don't think about anything too deeply, they don't read, they don't study anything, they don't know much and don't want to know much. I think that most popular media reflects this fact because it is marketed towards these people. There will always be intelligent things, documentaries on PBS, philharmonic at the Met, but the fan base for these things will always be in the minority when compared with things with more mass appeal such as women in bikinis, football, and repetitive music.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by XelNaga
depends on the kind of music youre talking about sir.

mainstream rap, hip hop, pop, country, and rock i will agree with do nothing but dumb people down because of the subliminal messages. it also definitely keeps people from learning about different ideas, cultures, and so on.

opera, classical music, and metal (real metal. not that bs like avenged seven fold and crap like that). classical music and real metal comes from all over the world, shares different cultural backgrounds. for example a good number of metal bands i listen to come from asia, the middle east, europe, and south america. most of the bands lyrical content have to do with ancient cultures of those areas. classical music and opera i shouldnt have to explain anything about other than its a proven fact that both of those stimulate brain function and creativity. metal is also extremely comparable to classical music.

so music in a way, yes does dumb people down. but thats the crap like lady gaga, jay z (who is an illuminati btw), britaney spears, justin beiber and so on. but it also helps stimulate the brain and promote creativity. real music is like weed. it helps the brain and saves lives

You make the distinction between real metal and crap metal. But you don't make the distinction between real hip hop and crap hip hop, real rock and crap rock.

Why not?

Name me a metal band with the content of someone like Canibus

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Mainstream music isn't really inspiring these days, the money is.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
TV and music only inspire mind that are already briliant which we lack nowdays.

For example i just look around me, if someone tv says a joke that is well kind of funny the next day all of the stupid less developed retards use it excesively. Why? Because they watch shows that are crappy and that don't inspire anything in anyone.

Music doesn't inspire nowdays either because music is not made by the artist, but by the coorporation that owns the artist. I once went into a recording studio (in the US) where some soon to be good rapper was recording and the only thing that left me still was that he had an army, literally an army of writers and composers that were doing everything they could to make the song perfect for the mainstream and the artist did nothing more than drink coffee and energy drinks and perform ...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by XelNaga
depends on the kind of music youre talking about sir.

mainstream rap, hip hop, pop, country, and rock i will agree with do nothing but dumb people down because of the subliminal messages. it also definitely keeps people from learning about different ideas, cultures, and so on.

opera, classical music, and metal (real metal. not that bs like avenged seven fold and crap like that). classical music and real metal comes from all over the world, shares different cultural backgrounds. for example a good number of metal bands i listen to come from asia, the middle east, europe, and south america. most of the bands lyrical content have to do with ancient cultures of those areas. classical music and opera i shouldnt have to explain anything about other than its a proven fact that both of those stimulate brain function and creativity. metal is also extremely comparable to classical music.

so music in a way, yes does dumb people down. but thats the crap like lady gaga, jay z (who is an illuminati btw), britaney spears, justin beiber and so on. but it also helps stimulate the brain and promote creativity. real music is like weed. it helps the brain and saves lives

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially about rock music, did you know that heavy metal is literally classical music just played fast and loud?? I got into music at 13 years old by playing guitar and I learned more from rock and metal bands then I ever dreamed I could. By reading lyrics, looking up concepts and so on. I will agree that a lot of pop music is just dumb garbage these days the lyrics are ridiculous and encourage kids to drink and party.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The other month my niece was watching a childrens program called Milly Molly. I wasnt listening too intently to the program but on this program they were in a class at school and the teacher is telling a story,

She was describing a character inside this book she had and one of the phrases was ''and his nose was a PENIS''.

I immediately said WHAT?! and I pressed the rewind button (we had sky+ at the time) and played it over and over. It definately said his nose was a penis. I recorded it and I still have it on the harddrive of the sky+ box.

People are definately brainwashing children through television, most parents dont watch the program their children are watching, so they definately put certain words in these cartoons to program your children.

Even old cartoons were controversial with properganda.

TV really does dumb people down, I wouldnt be suprised if some music did too.
edit on 12-3-2011 by MrPieman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Singer-songwriters.
Real music from the heart.
With words you can relate to.
John Prine,G.Love,Jack Johnson,Bob Schneider,Young The Giant.
The list is infinite.
People,mainstream music is the same as mainstream media.
Your radio station is like Fox news.
Expand your listening ,your ears,as you do on ATS.
Explore what is out there,don't be a dummy about your music.
I keep seeing on here about hip hop and such,
it's like someone telling me that Glen Beck said this and Rush Limbaugh said that.
OMG
Till the End

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
reply to post by kdog1982

wboc.org... where is the music?

It's www.wfpk.org ,think I have stated this before.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I think you are all being a little too up tight, of course its not mind stimulating, people don't want it to be! They wanna dance, party, and have a good time to it. I can't tell you how much fun it is to hit a club for a few hours and listen to that "horrible" mainstream music, ya I didn't learn anything, but I had a hell of a time. I just think both side of the ball take it all to seriously. One side is some cocky teenager thinking he's a thug cause he listens to rap, and the crazy parent who thinks it gonna destroy society. Listen to all music; trance, dubstep, metal, rap, techno, hip-hop, country, rock, indie its all got its good sides. Plus its all the same bloody notes, just in a different order

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by LFO775
I think you are all being a little too up tight, of course its not mind stimulating, people don't want it to be! They wanna dance, party, and have a good time to it. I can't tell you how much fun it is to hit a club for a few hours and listen to that "horrible" mainstream music, ya I didn't learn anything, but I had a hell of a time. I just think both side of the ball take it all to seriously. One side is some cocky teenager thinking he's a thug cause he listens to rap, and the crazy parent who thinks it gonna destroy society. Listen to all music; trance, dubstep, metal, rap, techno, hip-hop, country, rock, indie its all got its good sides. Plus its all the same bloody notes, just in a different order

People who restrict themselves to a single genre and slam all overs always annoyed me.

They see a genre is popular on TV so slam the whole genre. As if Avril Lavigne and Lil Wayne represent rock and rap music.

What annoys me most is alot of people doing this should really know better.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Over 1 million views in 6 months. Like all his videos. Despite getting no play on TV or radio. Clearly more popular than the hip hop they play on TV, as proven by the fact he's the most popular rapper Britains produced since Skinnyman, despite being promoted by nobody, having no record label, advertising money, features on other pop artists material.

Odd that he isn't on TV, isn't it? You'd almost say it was a conspiracy, wouldn't you.

The media do not allow talented artists with real lyrics to use their stations as a platform. 99.9% of Artists on TV are garbage, and represent their genre in no way.

edit on 14-3-2011 by NadaCambia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

They both have the same effect technically, it's dependent on what you watch/listen too. If you indulge yourself into the desperate housewives, and you listen to little wayne, the two will influences your decision making skills into your own whether the two are united or divided.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Well, the difference between the two is as you describe. However, the results of this difference is directly opposite to what you describe.

Television occupies your senses and does the work for you. You become a spectator, there is no activity there. In effect you go into a sort of hibernation when you sit there and watch television.

Music as you say only stimulates the ears - this leaves your eyes and imagination free. When you hear Vanessa Mae playing The Devil's Trill, you are free to conjure whatever mental images you wish. Listening to it while watching a bird feeder gives a different experience from watching it paired with a montage of war footage.

Reading is the visual analog to music - you read and build the scenes in your mind. Reading outside in the sun will give you a different read than doing it under bedcovers with a flashlight.

With music and writing, your brain is taking in information and translating it, creating something new out of it. And you can vary the experience from day to day, moment to moment. Switching environments, or partaking in the medium while in different moods or even while eating different meals.

That episode of "Family Guy" however, is always the same. The translations are done for you, and it's presented to you as-is, with no variance. Family guy at 3 PM while eating chips is the same as Family Guy at 12 AM snuggled up with the girlfriend on the couch.

To use a food metaphor, television is like a glycerin IV drip. it goes right in, does its thing, comes right out with no effort from you. Music and wiriting is like a home-cooked meal though. You have to prepare the ingredients, cook them, arrange, cut, chew, swallow, then digest before you can "absorb." It's more work, but would you rather have a glycerin drip, or steak and mushrooms with potatoes and a side of broccoli with chocolate pie for dessert and beer to wash it down with?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

That was magnificent. Thanks for giving me another hip-hop artist to indulge myself in.

I agree with your statement about writing off entire genres. So many people I know refuse to listen to hip-hop of any sort, with arguments that it's all "bitches and hos" or - as an older co-worker candidly put it - "jungle music" (seriously dude, it's only code words if you use a code!)

Give 'em the guy you just played, or some Jasiri X, or any of these many other artists - even a lot of the "mainstream" artists have some very good work out - and they change their tunes. literally.

The two dudes in my avatar are Paul Pena (he's the guy who wrote "Jet Airliner" and sold it to the Steve Miller Band) and Kongar-ol Ondar, a Tuvan throat singer. Paul - a Blues performer - heard Tuvan throat singing on a short-wave radio, and got into it. Now, a lot of people, you tell them this sort of background for a musical act, roll their eyes and say "that sounds dumb!" Tell 'em that he went out to this tiny little Central Asian republic and learned more, teaming up with this guy named Kongar-ol, and Americans start looking lost.

Then you show them this:

Nearly everyone i've exposed to this stuff wants more. Those few who haven't are the sort who live by the top 40 lists. To each their own, but I feel sorry for people who have such shallow musical tastes.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by NadaCambia

Originally posted by LFO775

People who restrict themselves to a single genre and slam all overs always annoyed me.

They see a genre is popular on TV so slam the whole genre. As if Avril Lavigne and Lil Wayne represent rock and rap music.

What annoys me most is alot of people doing this should really know better.

You would think these people would know better.
Lets break down ,say country music,
there is,
pop country
traditional country,
Outlaw
Americana
Country folk
Bluegrass
Country rock
gospel country.
Now lets take hip hop,
old school hip hop/rap
east coast rap
west coast rap
hardrap
hitmakers
indie rap
and even christian rap!
I could go on and on.
If you don't like the music you are hearing from your radio station,turn it off cause it's all commercialized crap being spoon fed to the general populas.
Just like mainstream media.Just like entertainment tonight(I just gag on my on vomit for saying that)
Till the end

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join