It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Great- Another Way To Die- Mega Methane Explosion- ELE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Came across this on youtube, a History Channel production of another theory about a massive methane gas explosion occurring in the ocean- but it's backed by a real event in Africa that killed 1,700 people.

Very interesting, and short but thought provocative!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
The "History" Channel is a joke.

They stopped making history related shows a long time ago, now all they show are hypothetical scenarios about the Earth's destruction and other mindless crap.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I get History Channel and Syfy mixed up.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by CordDragonzord

Umm, how about commenting on the content of the video?

So you think there is nothing to this theory, especially considering a mini version of this actually happened in recent history and killed all those people?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
[color=deepskyblue]Nice!

Another way for S to HTF! The possibilities are endless!

S&F

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Thank you for making this thread. I was unaware that this had happened in the recent past on a small level. It must have been scary living there and not knowing what was going on, then it was to late.

I think that it is highly possible for this to happen on a much larger scale again. We are drilling in the oceans, what dose that tell you. We certainly play dangerous games with mother nature and its only a matter of time before we can play no more.

S+F

EDIT: Just did a search on the event in 1986.

GAS EXPLOSION HAZARD. PROBLEMATIC.
Lake Kivu, between Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo is unique in the world : its deep waters contain an enormous quantity of dissolved gas (3/4 carbon dioxide, ¼ methane).

When static, this highly stratified lake, is stable and benign. A powerful disturbance caused by the volcanic activity of Nyiragongo, situated on the north shore of the lake, could cause an upsurge of deep water charged with dissolved gas.

These waters would release, either through localised and limited emanations or through a cataclysmic explosion involving a large part of the lake, a large quantity of suffocating gas which would threaten the safety of neighbouring populations.

Remember that Lake Nyos, in Cameroon, was the site of a gas explosion in 1986 which caused the death by suffocation of 1800 people in an area of 30 km around the lake. Lake Kivu contains 1000 times more gas than Lake Nyos and there are millions of people living under threat.

We decided to conduct a multidisciplinary study of the physico-chemical properties of Lake Kivu with the aim of evaluating the risk of gas explosion in various scenarios involving the activity of Nyiragongo (eruption or sub-lacustrine magmatic intrusion, effusion of lava during a fissural eruption, as occurred in January 2002).

LINK

From same site:

We have recently discovered the existence of ancient volcanoes on the lake floor, right in the middle of those gas-filled layers of water. A new sub-lacustrine eruption, or a magmatic intrusion at depth would inevitably trigger off, by a chain reaction, the liberation of an enormous quantity of gas, with probably catastrophic consequences for the entire region. A population of several millions (Goma, Bukavu, Gisenyi, even Bujumbura) are living under this threat.

edit on 11/3/11 by boo1981 because: You learn something new every day

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
History channel is, by all means, and entertainment channel first. History and info second.

Beats most of ATS- which is typically nonsense first, panic second, retards third....

I really think more people should see this. I don't think many people know of this type of event, even those who are well informed of possible earth disasters. I hadn't heard of this before..

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by MHMMM
History channel is, by all means, and entertainment channel first. History and info second.

Beats most of ATS- which is typically nonsense first, panic second, retards third....

I really think more people should see this. I don't think many people know of this type of event, even those who are well informed of possible earth disasters. I hadn't heard of this before..

Well entertainment channel or not, then why was History Channel apparently correct?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It is happening, and it may have some pretty devastating consequences. Like another ice age in less than 10 years?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

[color=dodgerblue]I heard about the methane fountains but had forgotten about this thread.

Its a good thing that it is happening in an un-populated area or we could have another Cameroon type tragedy on our hands.

Going to do some reading on all of this now.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
[color=dodgerblue]I heard about the methane fountains but had forgotten about this thread.

Its a good thing that it is happening in an un-populated area or we could have another Cameroon type tragedy on our hands.

Going to do some reading on all of this now.

Funny, I heard about it and remembered this thread...

If enough methane were present, it may not matter because the explosion will be 10,000 times more powerful than the entire nuclear stock of the planet all going off at once. Or so according to the video...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by CordDragonzord

They stopped making history related shows a long time ago, now all they show are hypothetical scenarios about the Earth's destruction and other mindless crap.

History channels been defiled and stripped of all intelligence, just like Discovery channel before it, and TLC channel many years before that.

Heli-loggers? Ice road truckers? Swamp men? What a freaking joke. It brings shame to the once great channel. But whatever gets the ratings, right? Stupid people like stupid, dumbed down things, and theres a LOT more stupid people on the planet than there are intelligent ones, unfortunately.

However they did transfer all their old programming to History International (H2)... so all you have to do is pay an extra 50 dollars a month for another cable package and you can see the same you used to be able to see without the extra effluence of cash. Yippy!

Anyway, I saw that program before. Tremendous amounts of methane are a major hazard if released into the atmosphere.

Methane is 20x the insulator that CO2 is, and while it rises through the oceanic waters, it diffuses into the water, and reduces the oxygen levels. That has been a theory on some prior major marine mass extinctions. Also, once methane from clathrates begins to be released via warming of seabeds and permafrost, or a reduction of pressure (ocean water levels dropping), the process begins to accelerate exponentially until all the clathrates have vaporized. And theres a HUGE amount of locked up methane. I heard somewhere long ago that total planetary natural gas estimates where 1,000,000 times higher than total (original) planetary oil estimates. Perhaps that was exaggerated, but that gives an idea of how much methane there is on the planet.

Good info: en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 12/14/2011 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

top topics

join