It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legal Workers Line Up for Restaurant Jobs After Sheriff Joe Raids MUST WATCH!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jinglelord
reply to post by Newbomb Turk

Seriously? I can make 8 bucks an hour digging for scrap metal or panhandling.

You must never have been unemployed with no prospects. You would not dig for scrap metal, when you are broke and hungry and you have bills, responsibilities and people who depend on you, you will be more than happy to take a steady check over the uncertainty of panhandling or digging for cans. When you know you have X amount of dollars coming in each week, no matter how small it is, it gives you some wiggle room with your finances and allows you to begin to budget.

I'm not arguing they shouldn't be required to pay minimum wage or exploit workers, I just think these people who say they will take a job as a cashier with huge amounts of experience are liars pushing an agenda.

No, they are not lairs pushing an agenda. They are people who need jobs. My brother has a college education. He found himself out of work for almost 2 years. After 6 months of being unemployed he was filling out applications to McDonald's and Walmart. After 6 months, he was no longer proud. No longer holding out for "a job in his field". He would have taken any job, no matter what it is, just to make money. That is what happens when you are out of work. Even $150.00 a week is better than zero dollars a week, and when you have no money coming in and bills are due, you will do whatever it takes to keep a roof over your head and food in your stomach.

Furthermore if I was the boss I wouldn't hire them. I would rather hire someone who won't leave the second the economy picks up and experienced staff is essential for growth.

There are many who believe as you do and anyone who has ever been unemployed and looking for any job they can get their hands on has been told, "You are over qualified". I am in a position to give people jobs when they are available, and I can tell you that I look for people who want to be there and want to work. If they leave in a few months, it doesn't matter. Nothing last forever, but while they are working for me, I know I have someone who will do their best because they want their job and want to be there.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

reply to post by James1982

You're absolutely correct that many of these workers are making at or below minimum wage and the employer also avoids the additional costs associated with legal workers so the total cost of employment is much less even if they are being paid the same. I don't want them to go away I want them to pay taxes and get fair wages.

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Unless they want to steal my job...

Well see it looks like we pretty much agree on this subject!

I don't have a problem with the immigrants themselves, I have a problem with what is happening because they are paid less than minimum wage, and usually as you said cost employers much less on other things as well.

This takes away competition, because even IF an American citizen would take a job for less than minimum wage (not saying they would) they couldn't, unless it was under the table. In that case the outcome is just as bad as if it was an immigrant taking that job.

I just want everybody to be employed legally, paid based on the work they do, and contribute their piece to society. If it means legalizing all the immigrants so that they get paid minimum wage and have to pay taxes, I would totally support it.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Wouldn't surprise me if these "workers" were just a bunch of people with an agenda to push.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

I used to be able to hire warehouse workers. Not quite minimum wage but a great entry level position that required intelligence and really hard work. And I did hire a few college graduates and was warned not to by upper management. I ignored them and did it anyway having not learned my lesson. (I never listen) I invested time and resources in training them, I spent the time of HR and other administration getting all their paperwork, background, and drug tests and guess what? One left before I even finished training them when they realized it was hard work, the other lasted almost a month. I've also had similar experience with overqualified and people with too much experience.

It does matter if they leave right away because hiring is an expense and if someone leaves before they have made themselves worth hiring you wasted money. There is a phrase for businesses that are in the habit of wasting money "Out of Business".

There are many large corporations that now have a policy to not hire anyone who is unemployed. (or unemployed for longer than a month) using the logic that if you're not working it is because you don't have a good work ethic. This sounds harsh and we all know unemployed people who we love if not ourselves so it makes it hard to swallow.

I can't speak for every town but my town has no fewer than 10 temp agencies, and a ton of small businesses. Put on some nice clothing, clean up, shave, bring some resumes that are all slightly tweaked for many different job types and hit the streets. At night send resumes to every job posting even close to what you're looking for. If you get no bites have someone on an employment forum help you out, invest time into looking for a job as if it is a job itself. It is the most important sales job you'll ever do. Do this and tell me you really wanted that dishwasher job that pays minimum wage!

Edit PS to add: I would do anything to make money if I was hungry and needed to live. I worked in a gas station when I was younger and used to watch the pan handlers make more than I made all day in about 15 minutes before I kicked them out. I've known scrap collectors that averaged 40K a year in the 90s and the payments for scrap has gone up since then.
edit on 9-3-2011 by Jinglelord because: Just wanted to add something without posing again...

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

dude. they're not taking a huge risk. it is completely widespread.

almost every single contracting company here in new jersey utilizes illegals. i've worked with them many times. and yes, any contractor who uses illegals can undercut honest contractor bids by huge amounts. it is a huge problem, and has really hurt the contracting business.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadlyrhythm

You've worked with them? Did you file a report with INS, or local law enforcement?

If it is really hurting your business report them. Report every company that uses them. An anonymous tip, if INS or law enforcement does nothing write the local chamber of commerce or the mayor's office.

If they do nothing let the IRS know a company is hiring employees under the table. That after all is the real problem in my opinion. *Edit to add* I should note the IRS is not a bureaucratic entity to mess with. If they think someone is depriving the federal government of legal funds they will not stop until you have paid.

I think if it was phrased "Under the Table Employees are stealing potential tax revenue" I would much more inclined to support all the complaints. I don't care where a worker is from as long as they're paying taxes and subject to the same labor laws as a citizen.
edit on 9-3-2011 by Jinglelord because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

reply to post by James1982

I still say the illegal immigrants aren't the problem and are being used as a scapegoat.

What a crock .....I'm in const. have been for over three decades, if you don't think they're a huge part of the problem then you're clueless to what others in this country are having to deal with. We shouldn't have to be competing with illegals for jobs in the first place should we? I cannot run a legal legitimate company and compete with the illegals in my trade. By the time I pay ins, SS, State taxes, workmans comp, overhead, permits, adhere to local reg's $, etc...well you do the math. I can make more money shoveling snow in August.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

reply to post by thedeadlyrhythm

You've worked with them? Did you file a report with INS, or local law enforcement?

If it is really hurting your business report them. Report every company that uses them. An anonymous tip, if INS or law enforcement does nothing write the local chamber of commerce or the mayor's office.

If they do nothing let the IRS know a company is hiring employees under the table. That after all is the real problem in my opinion. *Edit to add* I should note the IRS is not a bureaucratic entity to mess with. If they think someone is depriving the federal government of legal funds they will not stop until you have paid.

I think if it was phrased "Under the Table Employees are stealing potential tax revenue" I would much more inclined to support all the complaints. I don't care where a worker is from as long as they're paying taxes and subject to the same labor laws as a citizen.
edit on 9-3-2011 by Jinglelord because: (no reason given)

I and other contractors in my area have done most of all of the above. There hasn't been INS for a few yrs now but I and others have contacted ICE, their response was they didn't have the manpower to deal with them, at least not in my area. I'm currently deaing with the IRS and was told it was not their dept. and to contact ICE, when I pressed the issue w/IRS on who handled these issues, I was being very very civil, I was told he was hanging up on me which he did, so did his supervisor. Bottom line none of them seem to want to hear or do anything about it, they don't really care as long as THEY get their next paycheck. Same attitude as our state Senators when asked the same questions.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

Typically if you not hispanic in appearance the majority of farms will not hire you for picking. They will have to pay you descent and if you get hurt it's there responsability, FYI its not workers unwillingness to do this its farms unwillingness to hire non hispanic pickers.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
This problem is easily fixed. It's just that too many fat cats are getting rich by cheating the system. Why aren't those hiring the illegals being prosecuted more? It's because they are giving back door money to politicians to look the other way. This is one of he reasons we are in such a world of shh. Crack down on crooked employers harshly.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Unknown Origin

Yeah basically. And also hit the slumlords that rent housing out to them as well. No job, no place to stay, they will go back home on their own.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join