It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legal Workers Line Up for Restaurant Jobs After Sheriff Joe Raids MUST WATCH!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
This is dedicated to ALL OF THOSE out there that are real quick to scream "Well illegal immigrants are only doing the jobs that lazy Americans don't want to do"

Just ONE example of current events in my home state. Go Sheriff Joe Arpaio!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Newbomb Turk
This is dedicated to ALL OF THOSE out there that are real quick to scream "Well illegal immigrants are only doing the jobs that lazy Americans don't want to do"

Restaurant Jobs are easy compared to picking lettuce or other such laborious work... If I see Americans line up and work that for a long period of time then I'll be impressed.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Newbomb Turk

Thank you for sharing with us. I believed that this was so, just had not documented proof. Keep us informed.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

You ever been a short order cook? I dispute that a busy restaurant is any easier than picking crops.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Wow do you seee the smiles on people faces when they know and have satisfaction of having a job no matter what that job is. Just the demeanor change on people is remarkable.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Seriously? I can make 8 bucks an hour digging for scrap metal or panhandling.

I call Bull.

This seems like a typical anti-migrant worker propaganda sensationalist bologna to me.

I'm not arguing they shouldn't be required to pay minimum wage or exploit workers, I just think these people who say they will take a job as a cashier with huge amounts of experience are liars pushing an agenda.

Furthermore if I was the boss I wouldn't hire them. I would rather hire someone who won't leave the second the economy picks up and experienced staff is essential for growth.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jinglelord

Seriously? I can make 8 bucks an hour digging for scrap metal or panhandling.

I call Bull.

This seems like a typical anti-migrant worker propaganda sensationalist bologna to me.

I'm not arguing they shouldn't be required to pay minimum wage or exploit workers, I just think these people who say they will take a job as a cashier with huge amounts of experience are liars pushing an agenda.

Furthermore if I was the boss I wouldn't hire them. I would rather hire someone who won't leave the second the economy picks up and experienced staff is essential for growth.

Well, I don't know what you think the Government is gonna pull out of their butts to have the economy pick up.

That's garbage it is not going to pick up, and realists know this.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
well, didnt know about the "raids" till i read this, go joe...
as for restaurant work being easier than farm work, idk i have done both.
I used to work at copper canyon brewing in chandler at the turn of the millenium busy place and never time for a break, if you wanted to do a good job.....i washed dishes cooked waited tables and tended bar, sometimes all in the same day. 12 hours or more in a restaurant compared to the same on a farm....
same sweat as the field work in the sun, harder to clean off at the end of the day, no oil burns or customer complaints on the farms though...i wouldnt go back to work to work in a restaurant...i'de rather work on a farm.

I will add that i wish the companies that hired the illegal workers would have been shut down and fined heavily, dont know if that is the case or not...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

americans used to pick the crops smart one. up until the 70's it was mostly white migrant workers.

a little education goes far

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

My Mom worked for Unisys in the 1980's to the early 90's, I remember hearing about people with Masters degree's that couldn't even get jobs at McDonald's. So no desperate people will latch onto any job they can get, life happens and degree's don't protect you from that.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Here is another place that got raided. "Immigration agents detained more than 600 illegal immigrants at Howard Industries' electrical transformer plant in Laurel during a massive raid on Aug. 25, 2008. Most of them were deported, though a few were convicted on identity theft charges for using fraudulent documents and providing fake papers to other workers."

600 jobs that were given to illegals in just one place. There are more companies doing the same thing.

"The company agreed to pay a $2.5 million fine, which is larger than normal for such a conviction, the U.S. Justice Department said in a news release."

"Gonzalez is the only company executive who has been charged in the case. He pleaded guilty in December 2009 to conspiracy and admitted that he hired hundreds of people who he knew were in the country illegally."
abcnews.go.com...

And another company. "RANCHO CUCAMONGA, Calif. — Rick Vartanian, president of case goods manufacturer Brownwood Furniture, has been sentenced to serve 10 months in jail after pleading guilty to obstruction of justice and the hiring of undocumented workers at his furniture plant.

Vartanian, 57, was accused by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement in 2009 of hiring undocumented workers at his Rancho Cucamonga case goods factory. A July 2009 audit of the company's records showed that 61 of its 73 workers had submitted invalid documents to obtain their jobs.

Later that year, the agency said, Vartanian told officials he no longer employed the unauthorized workers. But in December, the immigration agency determined that Brownwood continued to employ 18 of those workers and had taken steps to shield them from detection. That same month, officials also found that another 12 workers were unauthorized."
www.furnituretoday.com...

And yet another company.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Just confirms what I already know, great thread S&F!

Fact of the matter is there are many Americans (of all races, not just white) out of work who would jump at the chance to get a job and contribute to society. Stopping illegal immigrants from taking these jobs isn't going to fix the problem all together, but it's a step in the right direction and very easy to accomplish.

It seems like the only people who still believe in the notion that immigrants only have jobs Americans don't want are the middle to upper class liberals who never worked hard in their life, so they don't believe other Americans are actually capable of doing so.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Got me there I was raised an upper middle class liberal and my views on this topic are very very unpopular. I think my real views are very conservative though. I believe in competition. You need to build value in yourself and be able to compete. I'm just tired of this obvious nonsense that uses immigrant workers as a scapegoat. And nobody seems to see it!

I can't get behind propaganda and rhetoric. I can't get behind people claiming they can't find a job but are willing to work minimum wage. What you apply at one place and claim you can't find a job? If you're really willing to do anything you will find a job. I see a lot of help wanted signs in the city I live in. The job ads aren't as much as they once were but they are there.

I have worked very hard, I have cleaned every kind of feces, I have dug ditches, moved boxes, and would do it again if I got stuck. I can have a minimum wage job in less than 24 hours. Granted this job market is tough and you might not get begged to work like you once were.

I still say the illegal immigrants aren't the problem and are being used as a scapegoat.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Will someone please explain why you can lose your driver's license for a DUI but not your business license for repeated instances of hundreds of violations of immigration, labor and tax laws?

Seems to me that the operators of those plants should be barred from doing any sort of business. How many strikes do they get?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

Don't know how it is where you come from, but in NY you can not even cover rent on a minimum wage fulltime job. And those weren't available when I left. Everyone was hiring everyone part time to save themselves from having to give benefits. You talk about competition being a good thing, but not when one side is breaking the rules. I am from the construction business, two man operation. We each had to pay liability insurance, workman's comp and taxes. Companies that have a crew of illegals can undercut businesses that are playing by the rules, by a lot of money. With the real estate market in shambles, anyone that was getting work done, was going for the lowest bidder. They will probably regret it in a year or two, when their houses start falling apart though lmao.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Pretty much the only way to make a living on minimum wage in all but the cheapest of areas would be be to live in a shared house or apartment and split living expenses, and even then it would be tough. It really takes practice and lifestyle change to live that cheap.

The guys that decide to hire illegals in construction are taking a huge risk. They may be able to undercut you now but as soon as someone gets hurt, botches a job bad, or does something your insurance would cover they're up the brown creek because insurance won't help them. Alternatively you can decide to take the risk yourself and undercut them.

I think personally there is no place for migrant workers in the world I would like to live in we would all have a little less and only get what an honest days work will earn us. But I also see that to get there we need to let the world even out.

It is already beginning to get too expensive to make Indian call centers worth it, eventually the Chinese factory worker will begin demanding a better pay, the people of Mexico will eventually have as much work as the US and the labor pool will stay there. In my opinion these things are inevitable. This will bring back our manufacturing, our call centers, our kids will go pick strawberries for their high-school summer jobs and learn the joy of hard work.

To me the only real way to solve the problem is to legalize the migrant workers, hand out work visas, require they pay taxes, and are paid fair market wages. Then it really is fair competition. And if you really want to have the jobs the migrant workers have now offer to work under the table for their wages...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

I believe you have never worked in a restaurant, then.

Oddly enough, many of the people currently working in the back of the house have picked lettuce, and still get their butts kicked.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Because their are plenty of groups lobbying against drunk driving, such as MADD and the insurance industry, and their are plenty of people lobbying for the companies that continually hire illegals.

There's just no one lobbying for us, the citizens.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jinglelord

Got me there I was raised an upper middle class liberal and my views on this topic are very very unpopular. I think my real views are very conservative though. I believe in competition. You need to build value in yourself and be able to compete. I'm just tired of this obvious nonsense that uses immigrant workers as a scapegoat. And nobody seems to see it!

I can't get behind propaganda and rhetoric. I can't get behind people claiming they can't find a job but are willing to work minimum wage. What you apply at one place and claim you can't find a job? If you're really willing to do anything you will find a job. I see a lot of help wanted signs in the city I live in. The job ads aren't as much as they once were but they are there.

I have worked very hard, I have cleaned every kind of feces, I have dug ditches, moved boxes, and would do it again if I got stuck. I can have a minimum wage job in less than 24 hours. Granted this job market is tough and you might not get begged to work like you once were.

I still say the illegal immigrants aren't the problem and are being used as a scapegoat.

I wasn't specifically targeting you with my post, but it's funny I was partially accurate

You opinion on the video is valid, there is no way to know for a fact that all of the people interviewed were being honest, so it is very possible some were just making stuff up to further their agenda.

That possibility doesn't change the fact that there are jobs currently held by illegal immigrants earning less than minimum wage, which could be providing a living for American citizens. That's the thing that bothers me, and some people (not saying you are one of them) completely deny this fact, and label you a bigot for bringing it up.

It also doesn't change the fact that there are lazy Americans that want to sit at a desk all day and ear 50 grand a year for doing so, and I'll be the first to admit that.

BTW, after re-reading my post it seems as if I come off as a liberal bashing conservative when in fact I am pretty liberal on quite a lot of things, but was just saying it seems that in politics usually the only ones supporting illegal immigrants are liberals.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

You're absolutely correct that many of these workers are making at or below minimum wage and the employer also avoids the additional costs associated with legal workers so the total cost of employment is much less even if they are being paid the same. I don't want them to go away I want them to pay taxes and get fair wages.

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Unless they want to steal my job...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join