It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California girl fled to escape arranged marriage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

California girl fled to escape arranged marriage

news.yahoo.com

A 13-year-old Southern California girl who ran away from home to escape an arranged marriage in Pakistan has been taken into protective custody by child welfare authorities, police said on Thursday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
this is one of those confusing stories...
reported missing back in Feb her family first told the cops their middle schooler didn't want to visit Pakistan for a two week trip and ran off... a few days later her mother changes her story and claims her daughter was kidnapped by someone on facebook...

Now it seems her Uncle hide this child away in a motel so her step-dad couldn't send her off to Pakistan for this arranged marriage????

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

One of those times where Child Protection Services and a shady Uncle are actually the good guys!

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I don't think the parents would tell the police there daughter ran away to avoid being sent off to marry.
I think forced marriage is illegal, more so when the girl is only 13 .

Here in Holland schools tried a different approach. They asked the girls, who wanted to be married during their holidays in their (parents) homeland.
Those who did not want to signed a contract, In that way the authorities could take steps when the girls came back married.
Many many girls signed the contract. Children 12, 13 year old.

But what happened, they came back and those who were married, kept their mouth shut. Too afraid to talk. Some of them were married with very old men, friends of their father.

They dwnied being married, and the marriage was not registered in Holland.
The schools found out about it, when they heard that the girls were not living at home, but somewhere else with a man.
And a muslim doesn't live with a man without being married.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Man this was the talk of the town but everyone had so many different stories nobody knew what to believe.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by notsosunny

Here in the US a girl must be 18, or in some places older, to consent to marriage...
I believe there is still one state who if the girl is with child she can get married at 16.

going back in time my grandmother was wed at 14... grandpa traded two horses and some sheep for her... that would been like the 1920's or early 30's

Now that I'm past the Half century mark I dont think anyone should be thinking about getting hitched until their over 30
edit on 4-3-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I think they can marry at just about any age with Parental Consent. In this case the parents were doing more than consenting!

I know for certain Mississippi allows 16 year olds with parental consent (don't ask), but I think they allow them much younger.

ETA:

Looks like Arizona and Mississippi are the winners. NO MINIMUM AGE with parental consent, although Arizona requires a Judge to sign off.

LOL, Georgia requires parental consent at 15, but not necessary at 16 if you are pregnant, so if your parents won't consent, just get knocked up!

WIKI
edit on 4-3-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Back when I was a teen living in the Southwest the youngest a girl could marry was like 12????
But that all changed in the late 80's and 90's... to many girls were basically being sold as young brides... yeah it happens here too....

But I think your right about this one girl, they were attempting to take a US citizen and force her to be wife to a foreign national... Lots of very uncool things about that idea ya know
edit on 4-3-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
You know what, why don't these people just stay in or move back to their countries, if they want to keep these barbaric customs!

If you want to live in a western country, live by that countries laws! Arranged marraiges and honor killings are bull! Those who do not want to abide by western laws, should move back to where they came from!

They should deport that Pakistani A.S.A.P!

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The only reason arranged marriages exist is to keep money in the family, i never believed in them or have. I have no intention to stick up for arranged marriages it is a scam to keep money in rich families and keep others out.
edit on 4-3-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by madleo

Thats the thing right...
At the bottomof the story they had this quote

Walker said Jessie and her mother were American but that the girl's stepfather was a Pakistani native. It was not immediately clear if the girl's mother and stepfather are married.

so the girls isnt even his own kid so why is he trying to push her into this???

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by madleo

Don't be so hasty. I knew a little Pakistani girl that was gorgeous, she was promised to a husband in Pakistan once she graduated college, her sister had already graduated and fulfilled her arrangement, so this little hotty went all out wild and became quite a party treat for many of the guys I knew! She said her father would eventually disown her, but in the meantime she was sharing his money, getting her education, getting some westernization and experience, and best of all sharing her body!

He did find out eventually, and she did get disowned, but by then she had a computer science degree, and a regular boyfriend, and I think they moved off to New York together.

I say keep sending them over and we will corrupt as many as possible!

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I say keep sending them over and we will corrupt as many as possible!

Amen Brother!!!
second line: Amen Brotther

edit on 4-3-2011 by DaddyBare because: fixed an open code tag

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
This is just to weird. But less we not forget, the rules of marriage in Pakistan are rather, unacceptable in most societies. The laws governing California or any other state, do not apply to Pakistan laws. Thus the reason they were going to take her to Pakistan to begin with. To marry her off to some muzzie.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

I think you may have that the other way around Pakistani laws do not apply in California. I may have missed the part about where she was born. If she is an American then this would be illegal.

no?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Oh I agree, but according to the article, unless I misunderstood, stated that they wanted to take the girl to Pakistan for an arranged marriage.

A 13-year-old Southern California girl who ran away from home to escape an arranged marriage in Pakistan

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
This is the sad reality of Islam children as young in Islam have to marry an older man

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Its a shame such as large part of humanity is still stuck in 7th century culture and still treat women and children as chattel ... Sigh!

edit on 4-3-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
This is the sad reality of Islam children as young in Islam have to marry an older man

And people, non-Muslims, will want to defend Islam with "It's their religion" or "It's a religion of peace."

I don't give a damn what part of the world a person is from and what religion they belong to; a child is a child....period!

Bunch of sick, perverted bastards the old men are.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
They need to put some severe restrictions on girls traveling to Muslim countries, and even more severe restrictions when they return with grown men.

I wonder where this girls real father is.

new topics

top topics

join