It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Supermoon may cause natural disasters in a couple of weeks time

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
The moon is closest to earth since 1993 in a fortnights time.
Some are speculating that this will cause natural disasters however some scientists disagree.
www.news.com.au...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Bee2010

Even if there are no natural disasters, perhaps it will have a stronger effect on us. A full moon is said to cause people to go a bit batty. The moon will be closer to the earth - surely the effect, if it does exist will then be stronger.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Bee2010

Interesting, but I was trying to find if there were any correlations with the 93 positioning, and I have not found anything yet. From the article, the most likely negative attribute may be some earthquake activity near the equator. Not to discount that potential tragedy, seems there's a lot of shaking ground out there recently. Hope the New Madrid is not affected!

spec
ETA: "Moonageddon", well that's a new one for me

edit on 3-3-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Interesting. We have a guy here in NZ called the moon-man who uses the position of the planets to predict events (usually weather). He claims that he predicted the earthquake in Christchurch on Feb 22nd and he said it is going to be hit by another big one on March 20th which would coincide with the above date.

He has been widely lambasted as a fraud and idiot, but I guess time will tell if he is right.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by 3finjo

Does this guy have a website or something? Sounds interesting

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Bee2010

Try www.predictweather.com/ I think its his weather prediction site. His name is Ken Ring

link   
This really needs to be here. Click for sound track whilst reading.

link   
reply to post by Bee2010

yes i would like to see this too i have seen a couple of threads on here about it i will try find now a post a link

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and another

www.abovetopsecret.com...

would be interesting if he correctly predicts this though although i hope he is wrond chch does not need anymore major quake maby it will be a big one in wellys instead since they've had two quakes this week already over 4.0m

on topic i surpose this would cause some sort of weather event im picking with the tides maby since the pull will be very strong on that night
edit on 3-3-2011 by karmajayne because: added link

edit on 3-3-2011 by karmajayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
So the last time this happened was in '93. Any huge disasters in '93 that anyone can remember? Maybe if something is already on the verge of going off, this will be enough to tip it over the edge? Interesting stuff. We already know the effect the moon has on our planet and on us. The closer or further away it is, the more or less it will effect us, right? Seems logical. Just how much closer will it be than usual? Are we talking a big difference, or tiny? Hmm,. I do know i'll be outside shooting pics of it, that's for sure!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
If the moon is closer we should be able to take some awesome pics of it, Im bored of taking pictures of the moon and having it look like a quarter on a black sheet.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Under Water

Huge disasters? Not a disaster but, I remember the Blizzard of 93 in on the east coast of the U.S. We got hit really hard that year.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by lostsock

lol yes i know what you mean i remember when i was very young may have been 93 can't remember but me and a friend were in the back seat of his mums car staring t the sky to which had a massive and i mean massive bright orange moon proberly like 10times the size it would normally be (bit of an exaggeration) but i remeber saying this is weird that moon is way bigger than normal

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I wonder what would happen if we had a solar flare directed at earth at the same time...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Was that behind the rogue wave near New Zealand off the coast
I read about today?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Bee2010

now that would be scary

if it was an x class flare i for hope nothing happens
there has been way to much going on but i have a feeling this is only the begining

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I would think all it would do was affect the tides? I don't see how the moon could affect anything else really to cause natural disasters. But, just incase I think I'll go dig out my anti-crazy pills and start taking them again. I'm already crazy enough I don't need mooncrazed on top of it all......

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Interesting OP, but does anyone else remember this, it was alot later than 1993 maybe 1999 or 2000 I remember seeing the moon in the sky and it was massive and red and what a sight that was have only ever seen that once, someone please tell me they remember this.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I remember a significant event in 1993! Folks in the Midwest won't soon forget this one!

Great USA Flood of 1993

Abstract. The 1993 midwest flood was one of the most significant and damaging natural disasters ever to hit the United States. Damages totaled $15 billion, 50 people died, hundreds of levees failed, and thousands of people were evacuated, some for months. The flood was unusual in the magnitude of the crests, the number of record crests, the large area impacted, and the length of the time the flood was an issue.

The paper discusses some details of the flood, the forecasting procedures utilized by the National Weather Service and the precipitation events which caused the flood.

INTRODUCTION
From May through September of 1993, major and/or record flooding occurred across North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, and Illinois. Fifty flood deaths occurred, and damages approached $15 billion. Hundreds of levees failed along the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers.
The magnitude and severity of this flood event was simply over-whelming, and it ranks as one of the greatest natural disasters ever to hit the United States. Approximately 600 river forecast points in the Midwestern United States were above flood stage at the same time. Nearly 150 major rivers and tributaries were affected. It was certainly the largest and most significant flood event ever to occur in the

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Interesting. Here's a list of "natural" disasters that occurred in 1993.

en.wikipedia.org...:1993_natural_disasters
edit on 4-3-2011 by Ear-Responsible because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moose318
... but, I remember the Blizzard of 93 in on the east coast of the U.S. We got hit really hard that year.

I remember that all too well, and if memory serves we had quite the similar winter and overall weather conditions then as we've had this year ... with a drier than normal winter, periods of extreme cold, followed by very unseasonably warm temps in mid-February

... only to be hit with a Nor'easter about 3-4 weeks later. 27+/- inches, I recall.

Interesting that this moon incident will be the first time since 1993, and that we've also had quite similar overall winter weather and conditions this year as back then as well.

Sure hope we don't experience a remake, though.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join