It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Democrats call for hearings over Chamber plot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

House Democrats call for hearings over Chamber plot

www.thetechherald.com

House Democrats are calling for an immediate Congressional investigation to see if three data intelligence firms might have violated the law when they conspired with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

Palantir Technologies, Berico Technologies, and HBGary Federal, along with lobbyist law firm Hunton & Williams, are being linked to the U.S Chamber of Commerce, via leaked emails from Anonymous
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
hankjohnson.house.gov
www.velvetrevolution.us

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Well, finally some effort to at least discuss whether or not there were was anything "illegal" about what HBGary (and friends) were working-on to discredit WikiLeaks, Journalists, etc.

Also provided, is Congressman Hank Johnson's Letter asking for the investigation; as well as a link to a complaint to the District of Columbia Court of Appeals about Hunton & Williams involvement.

www.thetechherald.com

edit on 2011-3-3 by EnhancedInterrogator because: Speeleng, grahmer, etc.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Here's a quote from page two of the Congressman's letter:
[Note: Emphasis/formatting added by the OP]

Particularly as events continue to develop around the world, we can all agree that free and open debate, discussion and criticism as guaranteed by the U.S. Contstitution are absolutely necessary to a healthy and vibrant democracy. We must guarantee not just free spoken, print and broadcast media but unfettered Internet and electronic communication as well. Citizens who exercise their rights should not be the victims of illegal and insidious electronic attack any more than peaceful protesters should be the victims of intimiation or physicla violence.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Lets hope the forward progress keeps rolling in. It puts a smile on my face when i read positive articles such as this and Ron Pauls interview with Bernake.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Here's a link to the Congressman's press release also ...

Rep. Johnson, colleagues call for full Congressional investigation of "Chamberleaks" scandal

Here's a snip ...

A series of e-mails recently revealed to the public indicates that defense contractors HBGary Federal, Berico Technologies, and Palantir Technologies may have conspired to conduct an unethical and possibly illegal campaign to undermine American citizens and organizations, including national labor unions, U.S. Chamber Watch, and the Center for American Progress.

Obviously, I'm hopeful this actually goes somewhere beyond the circular file.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I'm getting old, blind, and tired. When I saw the thread title I read "House Democrats call for hearings over Chamber pot."

Whoever is closest should send the white coats to take me away.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
[...]Chamber pot."

LOL! The capitol building has been around for a very long time.
So, maybe there are some Chamber Pot's still lying around the offices?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Wow. This ties in nicely with a couple other threads that have discussed the use of "persona" software.

I hope something comes of this, and it doesnt just get totally swept under the rug. Very good find OP. And well supported too.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

This is a direct attack on the internet. By using such programs as you and the OP have mentioned it is assuredly designed to undermine the usefulness of the information that has made it harder for TPTB to snow us (lie) about their agendas and they means to implement those agendas. It's going to take others who know how to combat these types of programs to render them harmless. I have no clue as to who that might be or the where-with-all to do it but it must be done or we will loose our ability to use boards like this to render information to each other. Specially in times of real need for information.

Zindo

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

You are right, which is why I am grateful to Anonymous for 'outing" these guys.

We do need savvy people to help ensure that the internet remains a meaningful way of getting information.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

You said a couple of threads on the Fake Persona software. I am aware of my thread of course. See here: www.abovetopsecret.com... what I am not aware of is this other thread that would be required for a couple of threads on the subject. Please elaborate. I would like to see and collaborate on the other one. Thanks. Continue with your regular scheduled thread. S&F OP!

edit on 3-3-2011 by wayouttheredude because: added S&F

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Ironically, the only way this case could have ever been brought was by breaking the law... which for some cynical reason, leads me to question... Is the entire purpose of the law to protect these people from exposure in the first place? Is the anxious approach the government takes to these efforts an indication of fear spawned of guilt? Certainly the elusive, and perhaps imaginary by design, concept of 'transparency' would pose no threat otherwise? Yet, isn't that the same as the adage "You've got nothing to worry about if you've got nothing to hide." That sort of fallacious logic is often the root of the most heinous offenses.

The law doesn't say; "Elected officials can't do anything that everyone doesn't agree with." And in any event, the Chamber of Commerce is hardly governmental; political perhaps, but not governmental. So they have behaved in some respects, shamefully, and are now in the process of containing the damage it does to their marketed image. And they are attempting to use the resources and force of the government to that effect. The acts of some amazingly nebulous alleged group, are certainly to be projected by media sources and officials as criminal.

The equation of what it happening is getting more complex, as we may be seeing the rise of a new power, one that is as unaccountable and free to operate as any government. The real question is, how far can they go without engendering collateral damage? And do they care?
edit on 3-3-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

The chamber of commerce is a union nothing more.Does it really surprise anybody that they back business over unions?? Come on they were established because of unions to represent business owners.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
This is a very good reason to post copyright notices in everything.
your homes, businesses, computers,

I believe this is the reason wikileaks has not posted there hacked banking industry information.
I also believe wikileaks never will post this information because i would guaranty that Julian Assange would be arrested and sent to the US for felony copyright infringement

If you copyright everything you can put a BIG legal bind on anyone posting it on the internet.
www.pitt.edu...

Righthaven LLC will gladly go after anyone.
You can also use the government and ISPs to shut down any site that post your copyrighted material.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayouttheredude

You said a couple of threads on the Fake Persona software. I am aware of my thread of course. See here: www.abovetopsecret.com... what I am not aware of is this other thread that would be required for a couple of threads on the subject. Please elaborate. I would like to see and collaborate on the other one. Thanks. Continue with your regular scheduled thread. S&F OP!

edit on 3-3-2011 by wayouttheredude because: added S&F

try this one ... its hot!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

I did some Googling around and could find anything laymen-oriented of much use.
However, looks like there's a book set for release (next month?) that might be interesting.
I might pick-up a copy myself ...

The Corporate Whistleblower’s Survival Guide
Publication date: April 2011
$19.95, paperback, 288 pages
5 1/2” x 8 1/2”
ISBN 978-1-60509-986-6
PDF ebook, ISBN 978-1-60509-987-3
$35.95, hardcover
ISBN 978-1-60509-985-9

Blowing the whistle will always require courage and perseverance, but it no longer has to be done alone. The Corporate Whistleblower’s Survival Guide will serve as an expert advisor for anyone contemplating bringing corporate wrongdoers to justice. Tom Devine and Tarek F. Maassarani draw on the accumulated experience of the Government Accountability Project, which since 1977 has helped over 5,000 people take on organizations like AIG, the World Bank, Procter & Gamble, Wyeth Pharmaceuticals—and win.

PS: No, I have no connection to this book, the author's, it's publisher or any retailer.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by wayouttheredude

Those are the two most recent ones I still had in "my ATS."

new topics

top topics

join