It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama insists every option under review for Libya

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I hope someone doesn't decide to capitalize on the distracted US and attack it.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I hear what you are saying, but you know that the rest of the world sees our leaders and not our people. And I use we to refer to all western nations.
Because there is democracy in the US, the UK and Europe, we are responsible for controling those psychopaths we keep electing , and the actions of our governments and our military forces are something we are held to account for, quite fairly since we elect them. Put it this way, after the last decade of bloodshed and war in Afghanistan and Iraq, its pretty easy to see how the actions of a small minority can be skewed by shadowy forces, to appear like a nationwide effort, the Taleban for instance. There arent even nearly a million of them, and yet we ( the US and UK) flattened most of a nation to find them. I think it would be even easier to assume that the leader of a democratic nation , must speak for his people . Thats all very well when peaceful intent is obvious, but after the last decades nonsense, I think its pretty hard for western nations to come over as the peacemakers. I think it would be better for all concerned if the west just kept the hell out of the way , save for the odd reporter on the ground, and a few blankets sent over , as well as the continued solidarity that Im sure anyone who loves freedom, feels for the freedom fighters in Libya at this time.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I dont disagree. I do think its important to be very clear on how much "choice" a people has over policy when they are not given accurate information with which to formulate opinion. Thats the heart of the Wikileaks argument. Can democratic nations really be called democratic when they are uninformed, dis-informed, propagandized, and out electoral process is totally hijacked by economic interests?

Its fake democracy we want to spread around the world, the choice of one of two or more corporate candidates with no real difference in agenda. And why do we want to spread it around the world? Because it works so well in the west.

We have the pretense of democracy, the illusion of it, and in recent times, (the bailout, the first term of George W) the illusion has come awfully close to crumbling entirely. But the illusion of democracy isnt real democracy, and our leaders really arent representing us. It may be that it is our fault, ultimately, that we have lost control of our system, but I think its pretty clear we are not in charge in America anymore, and for most part, big money is tired of pretending we are. The gloves are off on the American people.

I agree that "we the people" could do more. But the first step is shaking off denial and realizing that our leaders do not represent us. Which is why I brought it up. We need to stop pretending they are on our side if we are to ever stand up and make our system work as intended again.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Peace Noble prize winner!!! --- War'Obama---- What a joke... Orders to leave, no talks. Thats the way... Third war since peace prize in two year:

Chavez Libya talks offer rejected

The United States and France have brushed aside Venezuela's proposal for mediation to end the violence in Libya.

Philip Crowley, the US State Department's spokesman, instead repeated US calls for Gaddafi to step down from power in the face of the three-week-old uprising that he has tried to crush with his security forces.

"You don't need an international commission to tell Colonel Gaddafi what he needs to do for the good of his country and the good of his people," Crowley told reporters on Thursday when asked about the Venezuelan proposal.

english.aljazeera.net...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Regardless of what comes of this, it's probable Obama and his administration are more worried about their image than anything else. They have received pressure from the public to "intervene". While I believe it's not their place to get involved, I don't agree with such a hollow, transparent statement by Obama that no-one overseas will take seriously.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
What took them so long; these puppetmasters. Why make Barry oh puppet boy wait so long?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
This issue has puzzled me until now. Libya was a terrorist hotbed in the 80's. Then 5 years ago it's OK. Now it's back to where it was 25 years ago. Quick turn about. Why? Human rights? Give me a break. Plenty of human rights violations around the world to deal with. Let's start with China. Oh wait, they have a functional military. Libya? They're right up there with Iraq and Afghanistan. NOW it makes sense. Go after someone who can only partially fight. Guess Obama needs some face time to gain votes.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

I agree its all about oil and money..and i believe we will step into this because of that...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

America wants oil and slaves what you expected from the fraud of democratic system?
and obama is a puppet, wake up people.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Just go out there, blow Gadafie up, leave. Sounds like a good plan, I'm down with that.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Obama has gotten mubarak to step down. now getting Lybian government to step down... what happens if say russia wants Obama himself to step-down? he wont do it. hes just taking down coutries that pose a threat so they are busy fixing themselve while he take full power.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

America has no say in this.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
First Obama and America need to learn its place in the International community. Just because George (Im a moron) Bush decided to go without the UN on Iraq doesn't mean he set a new precedent. He is probably one of the worst examples of a world leader that I can think of. It's kind of a tie between Obama and Bush for me. I would have much rather had McCain and Palin then the current administration. That is neither here nor there. What we need to do is wait the game out with the UN and then do something with the International Community instead of spouting off threats and demands. I'm pretty sure that there are some people out there that called for Bush's removal from office but America surely didn't listen to them either.

Seondly I don't know where you all get this Russia says no bombings happened. This is a gross misrepresentation of what the Russians said. This is media skewing at its best. Do you really think that agencies like Al-Jazeera, CNN, and Fox News, and MSNBC would not be all over a story like that? Instead all you find are stories from obscure media sites or forums like this one. The Russian Foreign Minister said they would not sign off on a No-Fly zone which as pointed out pretty much kills the idea of it as Russia has Veto power in the UN. They further stated that if anyone "America" had any ideas to do a Blitzkrieg on Libya it would be a violation of International law. This is called Diplomacy not War Speech. Russia is not arming it's nukes to fire on America in case we invade Libya. I highly doubt that Russia would even care that much but as far as the media and UN are concerned they are expressing there disapproval for the actions that have been proposed. Nothing more nothing less. They are in no way saying that Libyans haven't been bombed.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
quasi O/T

Anyone remember the song from the 80's "Drop it on Qadhafi"?

It wen't a little like this..

its a bomb its a blast drop it on qadhafi's ass

Just wondering.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
reply to post by Laurauk

I agree its all about oil and money..and i believe we will step into this because of that...

No, it is about the Mahdi, the False Prophet is his Right Hand and will usher out the old so that all Islamic Nations will be without a Leader in order for them to have the same Leader. It is all very clear to me!

Gadhafi has been offered his Freedom for now, he would be wise to accept, but, I think this one is a thorn! No matter, it won't be long now and he will be on life-support as well.

Blessings to Islam because the time is near! Blessings to us all because the time is at hand!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

You're kidding right?
You see this as a good thing?

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed

You're kidding right?
You see this as a good thing?

You don't get it? Sorry, I am way past the pity Party of Babylon, she can rest her weary bones soon!

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

"the rightly-guided one" who, according to Islamic Hadiths will come before the end of time to make the entire world Muslim that one?
But yes the ruthless dictator Gadhafi is on his way out probley in a body bag but who am i to know..

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Here we go again, same story different guy. You had to take out Sadam cos he was a tyrant and killing his people. So you go into that country and kill far more than he had ever done. You go into Afghaistan to kill one man, thousands of you. kill hundreds of thousands of some of the poorest people on the planet, still can't find the man you were looking for, ten years now. Now you can't wait to go into Lybia to save more oppressed people by blowing them to bits. l hear so much on here about folks saying Obama is a lier, Obama is ruining your country, selling you out, yet when he says we are going to start another war you just can't wait to get that trigger finger working to Kill, Kill, Kill to get the oil for your master. Just a thought, ever stopped to think what would happen if you just said NO. Go get your own oil. Nah, course not, thats not the american way. Kill first make excuses later. Peace star.

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I'll bet one option that is not under review is for the US to just let Libyians take care of their own problems. Heaven forbid we let a country with oil run its own affairs.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join