It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama insists every option under review for Libya

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Obama insists every option under review for Libya

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama insisted Thursday that Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi "step down from power and leave," his most explicit statement of support for rebels challenging Gadhafi's four-decade rule in a region convulsed by uprisings against authoritarian regimes. Gadhafi has vowed to stay.

Obama did not rule out establishing a "no fly" zone over Libya, a move that his Pentagon chief said a day earlier would amount to an act of war because it would require bombing Libya
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline
edit on 3/3/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Look it sounds to me like more posturing on Obama's part... he wants to make himself look like a people person ya know...

but this latest statement has no teeth no promise to support or encourage...

The Pentagon is making it clear it doesn't want war.
The unspoken subtext to Gates' remarks on Wednesday was that with U.S. forces already deeply committed in Afghanistan, still winding down military operations in Iraq and on the watch for surprises in Iran... we might not have the equipment and boots on the ground to be effective there... So who knows... Not I, that's for sure...

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I am getting so god d# sick of war. Can't we let the international community handle the dirty work for once? This situation might not develop into a war, we'll all have to wait and see.

But I am sick and tired of the USA being invlovled militarialy in nations across the globe. Can we do everyone a favor and focus our efforts at home for once?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The most ironic part of his statement:

"Moamar Kadhafi has lost legitimacy to lead and he must leave."

We could substitute Obushma's name in there and it would be equally as accurate. LMAO

But yes, Kadhafi does need to go, as does about 90% of the "propped up" leaders and dictators around the world.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Yeah
I am sure that Gadhaffi will get right on that.
All hail lord of the world Obama!! Do as he says.

We really need to get out of the world police business, it's getting really old.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Like anyone overseas is gonna listen to this buffoon.
He is sooo weak on the world stage it's not even funny.
I agree, he's just posturing.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I'm not on either side but if Gadhafi declares Obama step down would he? There's a lot of Americans wanting Obama to step down, what makes him the official for other countries?

S&F
edit on 3-3-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
So is this considered "war" and does that mean the congress has to declare war or is this the ol' executive directive loophole?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Where is he supposed to go I wonder? Any place that grants him safe haven from here on out will be an outcast as well. Is he supposed to head to a nursing home and live out the rest of his days? It will be reported that he has been killed soon enough. Whether true or not who knows?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
What does this have to do with Obama anyway ??

USA: Calm the **** down

Other place : wtf... you again, go away ! this is none of your business

USA: .................

USA: U MOCK ME !!! START THE ASSAULT

Other place : omg.. throw the rocks at them

USA: Deploy 200.000 troops, and lunch the BGM-109 Tomahawks missiles

USA: Ohh yearhh !.. the war machine is in buisness again !

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Just a side note or simple fact
while it does take an act of congress to declare war... But... (Dont you just hate the buts)...
The Marines can be sent in with only a Presidential order... in essence bypassing congress

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl
I am getting so god d# sick of war. Can't we let the international community handle the dirty work for once? This situation might not develop into a war, we'll all have to wait and see.

But I am sick and tired of the USA being invlovled militarialy in nations across the globe. Can we do everyone a favor and focus our efforts at home for once?

That's actually what is going on here... WE are part of the international community, and we are going to work in concert with the other countries as well.

This is EXACTLY the step which should be taken, especially given how out of touch Charlie Sheen... I mean Gadaffi sounds at the moment.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
And Gaddaffe is going to really listen to what Obama says. He doesnt listen to anyone. I would not be surprised if he tells Obama Where To go

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

No problem with Obama telling him to step down - or even threatening him in to it IMO. As long as he doesnt think he has the right to do something about it or get physical

As you see - getting physical is just wrong.
edit on 3-3-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Hiya Daddybare
this is all so stupid
but I guess that's what we have to expect from Obama right
edit on 3-3-2011 by WhiteRabit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Obama's statements?.....now isnt that the pot calling the kettle black?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The writings on the wall for Gadhafi, if he goes now or in a month’s time, his rule is over.

Good on Obama for standing up and demanding it occur now. Most times when the US President stands in front of a camera and demands something like this, its purely because he's offering them a chance to leave on their own accord.

If Gadhafi remains, continues to use mercenary’s to attack his people and bomb his infrastructure then i have no doubt very precise and limited airstrikes will be used to remove his ability to wage war on his own people.

and rightly so.

I do not agree with many US corporate-wars, but when a mass populace is being bombed and killed because its marching on its ruthless dictator then I believe its the perfect time for the US to show it still does care about the little guy.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Funny how russia is saying he is not bombing his people, but the west are saying he is. Who is telling the truth here?

Obama has no right to dictate who should lead a country and who should not. Nor Should the UK or any other country. They all should mind thier own business.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Russia is saying there is no bombing ongoing, and yet I watched live stream video that showed a Libyan aircraft bomb ammo dumps that the " Rebels" were using for their crusade.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Taking Qaddafi down would be relatively easy considering Qaddafi has already neutered his military. [He being afraid of the potential military coup] The aftermath and the very real possibility of a civil war that would surely follow would swamp our boots on the ground.

Think about it, that's something none of us want to get involved with again.

That's what I think the Pentagon is saying IMO.

edit on 3-3-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join