It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satan was sent to hell as a punishment or compromise?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
~ Thoughts and explanations are welcomed. I am not an expert by any means when it comes to religion, I simply wish to make an attempt to understand. As you will probably tell from this post, this subject really really confuses me. ~

It is my understanding that Satan's ultimate goal is to lead people away from God and to lead them to fallacies which God opposes. This is because God kicked him out because he would not bow to God as all other angels did, and fought to rule heaven himself.

So Satan goes to hell, is this to rule or be punished?

Hell is supposed to be the place that Satan temps people to do bad things and takes their souls, right? So why would God kick Satan out of heaven because he will not bow down to God only to give Satan a place to rule?

Was Satan sent to hell to burn as all other sinners. If so, then why is Satan referred to be the ruler of hell? How can you rule a place your sent to be punished at? Also, why would Satan punish those who turn away from God as he did? You would think that he would award those who turn away from God not punish.

What the situation sounds like to me is that God gave Satan a place to rule for compromise. Maybe the war between the 2 was not going aswell as God planned or whatever. I say this because I think if the ALMIGHTY GOD wanted something gone he would simply un-create it (for lack of a better words)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Satan was sent to be punished. HE took authoirty on his own, and the other fallen angels knowing he was the one who masterminded and started the revolt, so he made himself king of hell* God cast lucifer into hell, as punishment, to a place of brimstone and fire. though some belive hell is cold dark place instead.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I see it as people who see it as a duality simular to hot and cold, Mostly I see it as ignorance, people who stay ignorant are satan and perform ignorances as in sin. I only see the one side of light and love the rest is in ignorance from being ignorant.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I'm no expert on religion either but basically, Satan was sent their as a punishment of course and he does in a way 'rule' it but he burns too, he kind of wants to bring people down with him. He's the leader of hell but at the same time he can't really do every thing he wants (Other wise he WOULD reward people that turned away from god possibly [or maybe not because he is the definition of 'evil' I guess so maybe theirs absolutely no mercy/compassion at all from someone like that]) I really don't know thought, just thought I'd add my opinion until someone who knows what they're talking about replies to your thread :p

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
This is not a religious conspiracy topic, but rather a philosophical question. this needs to be placed on the proper board.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I read a good explanation once in the book 'The Invisible War' by Donald Barnhouse. It stated that Hell, and it's based off excepts from the Bible, wasn't created for Man, but for Satan and his angels. It never said he'd be a ruler. Common misconception. He also hasn't been sent to hell yet, but still rules this world which was given to him back when he was in Heaven.

I'm not doing it justice, but if you'd read that book, it'd clear up alot of questions for you, it did for me. The same that your asking.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
According to the above comments this thread believes that he was there to be punished and not to rule...

So I ask now, How is it then I can sell my soul to him for what ever I want? Also, if Satan just wants to see people burn like him, isnt that what he wanted in the first place when he was in heaven?

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I would like to know how one could influence from hell. Considering it is said Jesus spent time in hell for some reason or another, why couldn't he influence or see the desired effect from outside if cross realm influence / observation is possible?

And again, if God could wipe out populations as it is said, then why not wipe out "the devil"?

Vital questions that require real answers as our collective logic evolves and grows.

If you ask me it's a peer to peer game of head to head civilization based on the logic of the new age King J_mes "bible".

I also want to ad that I am a firm believer in God the prime being / creator but refuse to take stock in an incomplete book that has been "taken away from" by a virtual family of child sex & sodomy aficionados or granted the approval of, as history shows, a scummy mortal king with his rotten name amended to the title...

Blame my opinion on the documented adulterous, deceptive, murderous, nature of those before and after him in that particular incestuous bloodline. THAT book is simply tainted at best since KJ touched it. Of course this is my opinion but it feels more true to me than this morning's sunrise. I'm always open to be properly corrected with pre KJ scripture and the missing canons.
edit on 3-3-2011 by Atlantican because: add

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeenieWeenie
This is not a religious conspiracy topic, but rather a philosophical question. this needs to be placed on the proper board.

I thank you for your insight on the matter....

I guess the conspiracy would be that despite what we are told about Satan, he was not sent to hell to be punish but to rule. But then again it is also a philosophical question, so I will let the MODS moderate as they see fit and move if they wish.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I've posted on this subject...

this is a different....logical point of view..........im not saying its right, im saying open your mind to the possibility.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Topsy_Cret

Lucifer/SATAN is not in hell at all!
Is here in earth!
Actually I began to think THIS IS HELL , and we are the punished ones!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   

The first link below illustrates an important point relating to Bible study: These books have undergone a lot of translation. You take any one translation at its word at your own risk.

I think that we may never be able to reconstruct the Bible in its original form, in a totally definitive translation.

As an example, the first link points out that Lucifer, mentioned just once in the Bible, is the correct Latin translation of the name of a king. Apparently this king's name was "The Morning Star" and this translates to "Lucifer" in Latin.

This one line has been used down through the centuries as yet another example of God's disagreement with the decisions made by "Satan." Yet it truly does not refer to any angel, but a man.

The second link below should connect you to an interesting, though rather poorly-written site which further illustrates the difficulties encountered in correctly interpreting Bible stories. For example: This researcher makes the point that the Old Testament uses (at least) 3 different names for God. He proposes (and I agree) that these three different Gods are actually three different beings that participate and interact in these stories. That they all refer to one God is a later interpretation.

And so it goes. Does the phrase "Chariot of Fire" really refer to a spaceship? The problem of translation, compounded by the possible confusions or biases of the scribes so employed, compounded by the possible intention of the originators of the stories to make them not totally clear, result in a document capable of multiple interpretations. It would probably be wiser to think of the modern religions that rely on these books as society-driven attempts to make sense of life and provide useful guidance. The teachings of any of these religions can be supported by these books if they are interpreted in a certain way.

Thus if you belong to a particular church and have a question related to your understanding of the Scriptures, you should consult a minister of your faith for guidance.

If you seek an independent understanding of the books of the Bible, then you should prepare yourself for a rude awakening! You may find the rest of your life devoted to that work. And at the end, you may still have questions.

I prefer to use other means to establish for myself some measure of religious understanding.

Data on the misuse of the term "Lucifer" here:

www.lds-mormon.com...

And here, the problems in determining what the Bible stories actually say:

www.earth-history.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

this is a different....logical point of view..........im not saying its right, im saying open your mind to the possibility.

Thanks for the link.

It is very possible that Satan is just doing a job that was assigned to him. If that is the case I do not see why he would have the portrayal of an "evil" presents.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Topsy_Cret

Originally posted by Akragon

Thanks for the link.

It is very possible that Satan is just doing a job that was assigned to him. If that is the case I do not see why he would have the portrayal of an "evil" presents.

Because man always needs an adversary, we fight, we make war....its what we do, its a primal instinct thats been with us long before recorded history. Its nature... and as such even in the spiritual world we need a ying to our yang.

I don't believe in the concept of Good and Evil personally, one mans evil is another mans good, its very subjective.

Theres only vibrations, some are lower negitive vibes, some are higher positive vibes....
edit on 3-3-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Satan was sent to hell as a punishment or compromise? Neither.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by l_e_cox

I agree with you in the fact that these stories have been translated too many time and have lost alot of meaning. Also that if the person/people writing these stories do not completely understand what they are seeing they will use a metaphor, such as the "chariot of fire" example you provided.

Anything is a possibility, who am I to say that somthing can or cannot happen. The religious books may be full of recounts of aliens for all I know. I say that because IF God does exist and is the creator of all, then he would not require anything to move around. Additionally if God ( the almighty creator of everything) wanted somthing gone from his creation he would have the power to make it simply vanish, not use a flood or an earthquake, that seems to low tech for a creator of a universe.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by leaualorin

Actually I began to think THIS IS HELL , and we are the punished ones!

This is interesting theory aswell. I believe I first heard that one in the movie House of 1000 corpses. It was a line that made me think alot

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by kon1foundas

Satan was sent to hell as a punishment or compromise? Neither.

Thank you for your input, I completely understand now

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

Because god showed pitty on lucifer, one of his own children and creations. remember, angles are not the same as humans. until adam and eve ate the fruit..form that poit on, humans lost everything.. lengthy lifes, compasion and gods respect. angels would have been treated different, or dealt with different. god could have wiped lucifers followers out in one swipe..but he didnt. he casted them too to earth and onto hell. i it was a human..god merel wipes us out* floods, virus's plagues wars.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Topsy_Cret
According to the above comments this thread believes that he was there to be punished and not to rule...

So I ask now, How is it then I can sell my soul to him for what ever I want? Also, if Satan just wants to see people burn like him, isnt that what he wanted in the first place when he was in heaven?

From what I've gathered, you can't sell your soul because it's not yours to sell.

God addressing Satan...
"You said in your heart, "I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain."" - Isaiah 14:13

Satan wanted praise and glory for himself and not for God. That's why he fell. God created man and Satan thought if he could turn man against God, man would then turn and worship him, but it didn't work out that way. Man wanted to do his own thing.

God gave a curse to Satan for "deceiving" Eve though...
"And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel."" Genesis 3:15

(Jesus being the offspring from man that would crush his head)

We won't follow him, so he continues to attempt to lead us astray.

God could destroy Satan, but that would destroy the purpose He's trying to prove to us. We need Him.

And that was pretty much what the book I suggested to you above said. It made sense to me, but again, I didn't do it any justice. Religion interests me, but I don't have much of it in my life. Thought I'd point that out. lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join