It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillary Clinton Says Al Jazeera Is Putting American Media To Shame

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I agree that other news outlets have at least as much incentive to lie as ours do. Just not all about the same things.

In America, its fortunate to be able to see what is reported about us by those who are not our friends. It gives us a chance to see ourselves in a more realistic light. Of course those same agencies have a great incentive to lie to their own populace about what they are doing.

No one source will give us a realistic view of everything, but taken altogether, you might be able to get something useful.

That's somewhat of a middle-ground fallacy. Plenty of sources are able to give you a realistic view of plenty of things.

OpenDemocracy.org, while only a website, is probably the best news source on the internet.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

NadaC

I know you think me a twit but hey that's OK because we live in a democracy, speaking of which Thankyou for the link to Opendemocracy.com in your post on this thread.

I have just been on there for the first time and it appears initially to be an interesting site which I shall start to look at.....

PDUK

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
reply to post by NadaCambia

NadaC

I know you think me a twit but hey that's OK because we live in a democracy, speaking of which Thankyou for the link to Opendemocracy.com in your post on this thread.

I have just been on there for the first time and it appears initially to be an interesting site which I shall start to look at.....

PDUK

Not a problem. I stumbled upon the site by accident a few years back. When God, sorry, Bruce Parry first appeared on the BBC. I was on his personal website(was just a black page with some text lol), and he had OpenDemocracy listed as his favourite website.

Granted it's still somewhat in its infacy and is mainly a website for political articles and opinion pieces, rather than strictly news. But current events are usually the height of discussion and I find most articles to be largely impartial, and both those that are and aren't usually feature a heavy number of sources for claims made. Which leads you, even if you're lazy, to learn much more about issues and happenings you wouldn't otherwise know about.

I'm hopeful that in future they find a decent TV platform, however small. Or maybe embrace more online videos. However, they may be content with the quality and platform they have now. on TV they could become Britains anwser to C-Span, only better. It's unfortunate that TV here isn't as open to smaller networks and stations as Americas is.

You can also submit articles if you like. You have to have a real good grasp of the English language and offer something generally insightful and informative though. Either that or I'm sh/t at articles!

The great thing is the articles and news really does come from all over the world, from so many different backgrounds. I can't say enough about the website.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Americans are bombarded with propoganda DAILY

The world is bombarded with propaganda also.

Al Jazeera is not unbiased and represents the view of Islam. The Russian Media answers directly to it's government and is not free to report as it wishes, not to mention some of the reports are propaganda reported at the governments command.

It's all the same. Obama has the CEO of GE who took GE's stock to half it's value as his personal adviser on business issues. Not to mention he controls NBC's news programing and has control of what they report. NBC is Obamas personal mouthpiece.

It was Al Jazeera and the BBC that was the source of the false information about the bombing runs in Libya. Then when the Russians got wind of it they immediately put out a propaganda piece criticizing the entire western news media for running with the info they got from Al Jazeera and the BBC. Strangely any mention of the story Al Jazeera started is gone from their English Site.

All anyone can do is research what they report and glean the truth from lies. Participating in propaganda attacks on everything Western does no good nor is it honest. Which propaganda people go with depends on their locations or personal ideologies.

Al Jazeera is clearly a Theocratic publication and despite the fact I agree their pure news reporting is pretty good, they still engage in propaganda and have supported even Terrorism by catering their stories to that goal. Same thing all Media does, no matter where from.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Americans are bombarded with propoganda DAILY

The world is bombarded with propaganda also.

Al Jazeera is not unbiased and represents the view of Islam. The Russian Media answers directly to it's government and is not free to report as it wishes, not to mention some of the reports are propaganda reported at the governments command.

It's all the same. Obama has the CEO of GE who took GE's stock to half it's value as his personal adviser on business issues. Not to mention he controls NBC's news programing and has control of what they report. NBC is Obamas personal mouthpiece.

It was Al Jazeera and the BBC that was the source of the false information about the bombing runs in Libya. Then when the Russians got wind of it they immediately put out a propaganda piece criticizing the entire western news media for running with the info they got from Al Jazeera and the BBC. Strangely any mention of the story Al Jazeera started is gone from their English Site.

All anyone can do is research what they report and glean the truth from lies. Participating in propaganda attacks on everything Western does no good nor is it honest. Which propaganda people go with depends on their locations or personal ideologies.

Al Jazeera is clearly a Theocratic publication and despite the fact I agree their pure news reporting is pretty good, they still engage in propaganda and have supported even Terrorism by catering their stories to that goal. Same thing all Media does, no matter where from.

I can honestly say I haven't seen that aspect of Al Jazeera. However, one thing that does urk me about RT is some of the little sideline documentary type fillers they run inbetween the actual news. I've seen plenty of questionable stuff presented through that.

Also dissapointed with the BBC news network running similar style pieces.

I think what they have going for them, as you point out, is they seem to keep the news itself seperate. Atleast in relation to many Western media outlets. Where it's ever more difficult to seperate news, opinion and outright propoganda.

I think the main problem out here is we have too many characters presenting news, who don't just present news, they throw in their own bull with it. Ideally I'd like to see everyone replaced with nervous, socially anxious noobs who simply present the news, and just the news.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by lewman

Originally posted by tristar
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Hi Modern

This sentiment is the same in every country by its citizens, its simply that the U.S. is overly exposed that its seems so overwhelming. Lets say you were in Egypt last summer the exact same things were being said then by its citizens and look were we are today!. As i have said, this exact style and purposely manipulated use of audio and visual as you seem to call news is nothing new, well to some it may seem new, but all in all, it was born back in Germany from that person named Adolf. We are only perfecting the use and mastered the what to show and what not to show to relevant nations and through local syndicated stations.

Hello and welcome, come in, take a seat, take your shoes off, relax...said the spider to the fly
edit on 2-3-2011 by tristar because: (no reason given)

not true im afraid, it was born in the us, not long nefore the 1st world war by a man named edward bernays

Unless my memory serves me correct and you are correct, however, his exposure on a mass scale was limited in comparison to what i have pointed as no such transmition on a planetary scale was achieved prior to engineers from the German Nation. (Nazi).Consequently the adaption of propaganda was so effective due to its new found and genius implementation on an otherwise less educated population, how ever, i am always open to anything as i am far from being any sort of historian or a perfect person. But the facts point to a particular usage of radio and television to directly influence the population and alter its frame of mind and subliminaly suggest to its audience to in some way put aside books and to listen.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Maybe America ought to pass a law we have in Canada about TV stations : THEY CAN'T LIE ON PURPOSE.

In a perfect world, it would work... but in the REAL WORLD, the government would decide what is true and anyone contesting it would go to jail or be fined into oblivion...

So the only way to fight the propaganda is for average americans to start their own tv/radio/internet local channel.

Actually some people on youtube already do that and they are doing a great job.
edit on 2-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

Originally posted by tristar
reply to post by ModernAcademia

This sentiment is the same in every country by its citizens, its simply that the U.S. is overly exposed that its seems so overwhelming.

Agree 100% with your sentence. The Politicians and Media are bed buddies in almost all the countries. They both need each other for survival and flourishing. In many countries its worst where the reporters life is in danger and they are openly killed by the powerfuls. Atleast in the US we have the comedians that can joke about the President or anyone they want (except the Mob). In other countries people are more cautious not to make a stupid comment by mistake and often live with fear.

On a personal and in real life cases, i do have reporters who are directly influenced by political agendas as they have opted not to go against the grain as it will result in a loss of income and possibly or more than likely be placed in a group that would be earning far less than what an ant does. So without expanding and getting into details, i sure am well aware of what you have typed and at times or should i say, most of the times i avoid direct conversation as those who choose or wish to engage within that boundary are simply not able to comprehend the repercussions of such matters, therefore, it is far more convenient for me to allow anyone to assume rather than knowing way before i even touch *first base as it is beyond their social and professional interaction due to their ideology and/or influence that they have been exposed to.
edit on 2-3-2011 by tristar because: *first

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by NadaCambia

OpenDemocracy.org, while only a website, is probably the best news source on the internet.

While I concede OpenDemocracy.org is among the best, I still maintain that abovetopsecret.com is the best... but I accept that the two are not exactly comparable - the former is meant to be active journalism, the latter a forum to identify, correlate, and collectively assess the impact and ultimate meaning of the news and the human condition; that's what makes us "alternative."

The purpose of the news is to inform. That is its only purpose. The intrusion of executive editorial privilege is the deviant problem with the institution of the 'press.' Every classic journalistic enterprise suffers from that same weakness.

I am encouraged by this website because that privilege, if it were to exist at all here, would be exceedingly difficult (if not impossible) to effect. You don't 'sell' news here, neither do I...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
As a whole, all the media the world over are just one big happy family. They just have different flavors of propaganda to please different tastes.

Murdoch used to air Al-Jazeera on his Sky-TV. Which is owned by NewsCorp(A Murdoch company). Who also owns Fox. Don't know if he still does, but I read somewhere that he was intimately involved with them. But since I can't find the article at present, the point is moot I suppose.

But I did find these.

Is there a Foxification underway...
The Saudi Prince, The Mosque, and Fox News
Saudi Prince Al-Waleed...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I'd also like reiterate that I really like the CSM as well. I really do miss Knight-Ridder since it was gobbled up by one of the Conglomerates. The WSJ has had a noticeable decrease in quality since Murdock bought it i think as well. I'm really impressed by what Al-Jazeera has become since it's inception. It reminds me of early eighties CNN. There is a real lack of good international coverage and perspective in the US MSM today and I think Al J and RT play a role in filling that need for me.

When evaluating news, always know who owns it and how they stay in business:Advertising, government support, subscriptions, sheiks' piggybank, or any combination of the above.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
As a whole, all the media the world over are just one big happy family. They just have different flavors of propaganda to please different tastes.

Agreed.

A lot of news channels utilise the same video feeds and share the same sources. Al Jazeera are not that different in that respect although people seem to think the are somehow independant.

I have been watching them for about a year now and like most MSM I am always suspicious of the reporting and the true bigger picture.

Any comment by Hilary Clit about how well Al Jazeera are doing compared to US MSM is a sign for me to squint and be aware.

AJ...Sheep in wolves clothing perhaps?
edit on 2/3/2011 by nerbot because: stuff

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
To be fair all i have been watching on the middle east uprisings is Al Jazeera they have done an amazing job hats of to them

It stands to reason tho i guess

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Hey Hillary - stuff your propaganda.. Its time the u.s media try something novel called TRUTH for a change.. Oh but then the public would lynch you and the rest of the dizzy city crowd when they learn how much you lie to them... Hmm double bonus then..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join