It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillary Clinton Says Al Jazeera Is Putting American Media To Shame

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Hillary Clinton Says Al Jazeera Is Putting American Media To Shame

www.businessinsider.com

Meanwhile she says Al-Jazeera, CCTV and Russia Today are killing it: "Al Jazeera is winning. The Chinese have opened up a global English language and multi-language television network, the Russians have opened up an English language network. I've seen it in a couple of countries and it's quite instructive."

Clinton says she is leading an effort to spread U.S. propaganda through new media, with twitter feeds in Arabic and Farsi.

She warns that Republicans want to cut the State Department bu
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Did I read that U.S Propoganda part correctly on businessinsider????

In any case, yes Russia today is quite informative and U.S. media harldy is, unless you are an ATS member of course.

I agree with alot of what she is saying, but the problem isn't only Baywatch, Jersey Shore or other forms of Reality TV that dumbs down the public, people do not like to be dumbed down either.

Everytime I watch MSNBC, Fox or CNN I mostly see BS
It's all a bunch of BS

Why can't we have easy access to news?
MSNBC is left leaning, Fox is right leaning
Why lean either way?
Isn't biased news very much NOT news?
To add on to it it's not even news, it's commentary.

So now it's biased commentary, that is very much propoganda to say the least

Americans are bombarded with propoganda DAILY

You want to win the information war?
How about actually providing information?
Wow... isn't that a novel idea?

www.businessinsider.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Yes, you read it correctly. She is upset that other news agencies are getting the truth to us in our own language, despite the best efforts of our MSM propaganda outlets. SO, to combat that, she wants our Propaganda networks to start broadcasting in other languages to muddy up the waters appropriately.

Too bad she didn't actually think to issue a directive for our outlets to report some truth and investigative journalism once in awhile.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Hi Modern

This sentiment is the same in every country by its citizens, its simply that the U.S. is overly exposed that its seems so overwhelming. Lets say you were in Egypt last summer the exact same things were being said then by its citizens and look were we are today!. As i have said, this exact style and purposely manipulated use of audio and visual as you seem to call news is nothing new, well to some it may seem new, but all in all, it was born back in Germany from that person named Adolf. We are only perfecting the use and mastered the what to show and what not to show to relevant nations and through local syndicated stations.

Hello and welcome, come in, take a seat, take your shoes off, relax...said the spider to the fly
edit on 2-3-2011 by tristar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I'm thankful for these (more open) news outlets! There are many interesting things that have come out because of stations like Al-Jazeera English that would not have gotten out if our MSM was the only source.

AS
edit on 2-3-2011 by AeonStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
just news loses out in America
We like our football game called politics..people whom remain neutral in media quickly drop in ratings. The mass public want spice in their everything, they want people banging on desks making a judgement of what is right and wrong.
This does not mean everyone..but most viewers are there to become enraged with their favorite talking head of how the other side is trying to destroy america and all that is left is the beacon of truth and hope that talking head X provides for them and their sagelike wisdom and insight.

Division is not something that politicians seek out, its something the public demands...we watch news, but we want it to be a sport (again, speaking generally).

How to fix it? We don't. its unfixable...it simply can't happen. Why? because we blame them, we blame politicians, and we will never even consider its the people that is the actual problem. We can blame the school system, the right/left wing stuff we disagree with being the corruptor, but simple fact is, our success as a nation has made our minds demand immediate gratification. Our endless choices made us bored of anything seemingly mundane (why watch this when they have this but with explosions the next channel over). Our success as a society is also the crippling intellectual downfall...and unless we want to drop all things we deem good and comforting (including the internet), we will not cherish any of the smaller more meaningful things.

And we wont...anyone whom says online they would, will, or have are liars..the net is the biggest distraction since the television and them simply posting shows they will not give up the biggest hypnobox in society (myself included).

So ya...Al Jazeera is putting our media to shame, China is putting our technological progression to shame. The west is in decline, and there is little that can be done about it..because its a fun sport to watch even that.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I actually watched the English language version of Al Jazeera last night. David Frost does a program on there, which I never knew about. It was very good and I felt they covered a broader range of topics than other mainstream media channels. It was quite informative actually.

Russia Today is also interesting the few times I've seen it.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

With so much other propaganda from other countries, yer damn straight that I want some US propaganda out there!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
The American information machine was bought out by business.... The FCC manned by business... the broadcasting and conduct rules that had any value were trashed and sidelined....

The establishment is about politically expedient marketing, social engineering, and consumerism..... there is little room for truth in that (in fact, 'truth' tends to get int he way of those goals)

It is what happens when the political theater is more important than the education of people.

When Thomas Jefferson extolled the virtues of an informed public he meant just that... not 'schooled,' Mr. Establishment ... he meant informed, as in "provided an understanding of current reality."

The very FIRST thing that the new order in America did when it overthrew the then-staggering republic of the people was to buy up the news papers.... and what did we think about that? Nothing.... the politician's didn't tell us... and they were the only one's who really knew..... The "party" was more important than we....

Like it or not, to restore what many of us believe is America, we MUST know the truth.... and NO authority can be above the mandate to serve that need....

Are we learning yet?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
With so much other propaganda from other countries, yer damn straight that I want some US propaganda out there!

That doesn't make any sense
First of all I don't see much propoganda from Russia Today, their coverage of North America is very on point
Their coverage of Russia however may not be the best

With american media however, media coverage of BOTH domestic issues and news of other nations is very compromised.

And even if that weren't the case you fight disinformation with the truth, not with more disinformation
You are on a dark path young one!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Originally posted by Maxmars
Are we learning yet?

Obviously, a resounding NO.

I see little hope of that in the near future.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
I actually watched the English language version of Al Jazeera last night. David Frost does a program on there, which I never knew about. It was very good and I felt they covered a broader range of topics than other mainstream media channels. It was quite informative actually.

Russia Today is also interesting the few times I've seen it.

Al Jazeera has been doing great coverage of the Arab situation. But generally I find them very good anyway. Gives some refreshingly different coverage to our own MSM.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
All media systems to one degree or another are designed to feed the populace what their OWNERS want them to view. Media in itself, for the most part, is a societal herding medium, the primary purpose of which is to "steer" the populace into certain directions of behavior and acceptance as to what is "normal".

I would suspect that virtually NO media outlet is entirely immune from this, but I do feel that the western, consolidated and corporatized media system may well be the most farcical and propagandized of all. It certainly ranks up in the top tiers. When virtually a handfull of corporate giants own ALL of the major outlets, you are NEVER going to get much of anything in the way of information that will 'educate', or be in any way evolutionary to your being. The TV and media in general are brainwashing weapons to keep us asleep.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

She says a major reason the State Department needs money is because "we are in an information war and we are losing that war."

She has absolutely no credibility left what so ever. Our govt just doesn't know how to stop lying

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

That doesn't make any sense

Maybe not to you, but it makes perfect sense to me.

First of all I don't see much propoganda from Russia Today, their coverage of North America is very on point
Their coverage of Russia however may not be the best

With american media however, media coverage of BOTH domestic issues and news of other nations is very compromised.

And even if that weren't the case you fight disinformation with the truth, not with more disinformation
You are on a dark path young one!

First off I don't believe in right vs wrong, light vs dark...

Freedom of speech is fought with... wait for it... not truth, but MORE speech.

Truth is highly subjective... Freedom of speech is just that... FREEDOM.

Let the propaganda wars begin!
edit on 2-3-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

You know, every time I've brought this up I can almost hear the hackles rise. And yet, here I go again.

There are still some most excellent US based non-biased news sources out there. My personal long-time favorite (straps on helmet) is The Christian Science Monitor. Seriously. Do some research, tell me I'm wrong.

A very liberal, atheist political science college prof turned me onto it years ago. I still thank him for it.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 3/2/2011 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar

This sentiment is the same in every country by its citizens, its simply that the U.S. is overly exposed that its seems so overwhelming.

Agree 100% with your sentence. The Politicians and Media are bed buddies in almost all the countries. They both need each other for survival and flourishing. In many countries its worst where the reporters life is in danger and they are openly killed by the powerfuls. Atleast in the US we have the comedians that can joke about the President or anyone they want (except the Mob). In other countries people are more cautious not to make a stupid comment by mistake and often live with fear.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

The American information machine was bought out by business....

Actually it was bought out by mainly by the Banksters. It is very much PROPAGANDA!

U.S. Congressional Record February 9, 1917: J.P. Morgan interests bought 25 of America's leading newspapers, and inserted their own editors, in order to control the media. www.mindfully.org...

JP Morgan: Our next big media player? (April 13, 2010) JP Morgan controls 54 U.S. daily newspapers,and owns 31 television stations. www.newsandtech.com...

Media Conglomerates, Mergers, Concentration of Ownership: www.globalissues.org...

Who controls the media www.nowfoundation.org...

Interlocking Directorates
...Media corporations share members of the board of directors with a variety of other large corporations, including banks, investment companies, oil companies, health care and pharmaceutical companies and technology companies. This list shows board interlocks for the following major media interests:
www.fair.org...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
propaganda is about "controlling the narrative"

I do this personally all the time... it's called "Self Authorship"

I support propaganda... the issue is though, who's propaganda is it, and are you buying?

I'll stick with my own propaganda, however I totally support anyone's ability to spin their own.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Mainstream 'media' is pure crap these days. It's biased, they outright lie and they have their own agendas depending who owns them. Why cant media installation have equally right and left for example? That would make for some good arguments on air. That would fuel people to search for facts and form their own opinion instead of just chewing up the lies the 'media' tells them.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join