It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillary Clinton Says Al Jazeera Is Putting American Media To Shame

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I agree that other news outlets have at least as much incentive to lie as ours do. Just not all about the same things.

In America, its fortunate to be able to see what is reported about us by those who are not our friends. It gives us a chance to see ourselves in a more realistic light. Of course those same agencies have a great incentive to lie to their own populace about what they are doing.

No one source will give us a realistic view of everything, but taken altogether, you might be able to get something useful.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Well, it was in the Christian Science Monitor that I saw the most open and honest admission that at least part of our policy in Israel regarding its snatching up of land from Palestine has to do with the Christian need for their to be a rebuilding of the Temple of Solomon in those contested lands in order to entice Jesus back.

So while I dont know that I would read it daily, it is certainly a source for an interesting and honest perspective on some of our policies here in the US, considering the influence the religious have on politics.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Just bear in mind, the paper really has no particular evangelizing component, and really no specific agenda regarding religion, per se. Please don't assume a religious format based upon the paper's name. I think an awful lot of secular folk discount it on that basis, and it's really a shame.

Give it a try, or even better, research it first. You'll thank me later.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 3/2/2011 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I think she overlooked the fact that OUR own media directs the propaganda right back at us.

Fox news exists only to spew right-wing propaganda for the GOP the way MSNBC exists to spew propaganda for the DNC.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

You'll get no argument from me... I just wanted to point out that 'ownership' was an issue central to the problem.

If information is the commodity that the elites want it to be, then we've been ripped off.... again, and again, and again.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Well, it was in the Christian Science Monitor...

My Father-in-law who owned a news paper said the only papers he believed were the Christian Science Monitor and the Wall Street Journal... Oh and he was an atheist too

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

The title is off putting, but perhaps I should look into more often.
Like I said, the one time I did look at it, I was impressed, but I was looking at a subject that I suspected it might have extra insight into, a religious one. Perhaps I do need to give it a broader look. The way the word "Christian" is used here in the US just makes me so wary of anything with that title. But one should be willing to judge individuals on their merits, not blanket generalizations. Lord knows I preach that often enough.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet
My Father-in-law who owned a news paper said the only papers he believed were the Christian Science Monitor and the Wall Street Journal...

Now that Murdoch owns the Journal, he'd probably be down to one.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
In spite of the great looking models, a pointer taken from Western TV (?), RT, and RT America, are a bit silly, and very biased. They also have the tendency to invite commentators without an once of credibility...

As for Al Jazeera, it is, in my opinion, the best News TV Station currently available. I specially like Frost, and Riz Khan (sp). No great surprise here, since they where largely created with BBC technical knowledge, personnel, and Standards.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Almost forgot, after all it is forgettable...American Media

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by CerBeRus666
They also have the tendency to invite commentators without an once of credibility...

This is very untrue
RT tends to have way more credible commentators than mainstream media here

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Hi Modern

This sentiment is the same in every country by its citizens, its simply that the U.S. is overly exposed that its seems so overwhelming. Lets say you were in Egypt last summer the exact same things were being said then by its citizens and look were we are today!. As i have said, this exact style and purposely manipulated use of audio and visual as you seem to call news is nothing new, well to some it may seem new, but all in all, it was born back in Germany from that person named Adolf. We are only perfecting the use and mastered the what to show and what not to show to relevant nations and through local syndicated stations.

Hello and welcome, come in, take a seat, take your shoes off, relax...said the spider to the fly
edit on 2-3-2011 by tristar because: (no reason given)

not true im afraid, it was born in the us, not long nefore the 1st world war by a man named edward bernays

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademiaIsn't biased news very much NOT news?
To add on to it it's not even news, it's commentary.

So now it's biased commentary, that is very much propoganda to say the least

And that's the very reason I refuse to watch BBC News.

Personally I think the US media and people like Clinton are worried that real news will be released by companies such as those mentioned in the OP and more that don't have patriotic garbage or celeb crap and aren't particularly biased towards one thing or another.

That way, they can't control what the masses get to see and hear.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by CerBeRus666
They also have the tendency to invite commentators without an once of credibility...

This is very untrue
RT tends to have way more credible commentators than mainstream media here

I tend to agree with you. They may not have many high profile guests but that doesn't mean much to me. They have guests that are arab, jewish, american, russian (duh), you name it, and they can be all over the political spectrum. Even though it's hard to watch sometimes, I love Crosstalk. I loved the little spat between Faux's Bill Oh Reeaally and how he dug at the RT reporters saying the couldnt speak english.... haha
I get my info from Al Jazeera, RT, CBC, and ATS to name a few sources. I never know the truth, I never know wtf is going on but through the above sources I can make my own indecision (lol) instead of having a big shiny spoon shovelling crap into my cranium. There is WAY too much fear mongering and pointing out of differences in western news for my liking. And whatever H Clinton says... well, whatever.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by lewman

not true im afraid, it was born in the us, not long nefore the 1st world war by a man named edward bernays

I believe you to be correct sir. IMHO as I'm sure some would agree, the US would be a very different place if Eddie hadn't gone into his field of work and excelled so much. Long time ago he was a guest on David Lettermans show and I can't remember the exact quote, but he said something along the lines of referring to himself as a doctor, even though he wasn't, just so that people take his words without the salt. The audience laughed, and surely as funny as it is, it is somewhat unsettling.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I have given up on the US MSM a long time ago. I could not take it any more. It had nothing to do with left or right leaning and everything to do with lack of substance and vapid dialog.

Since then I have checked out AJ and RT. Not too bad. They are a little more BBC like and a lot less entertainment oriented.

Now I suppose someone will call me a Terrorist or a Communist.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Al Jazeera is about 10 times more factual than Fox...and at least double as factual as the rest of the US "news" channels. Sad state of affairs if foreign news beat your own, but it's true...

Instead of trying to figure out how to spread propaganda, how about they stop allowing organizations to pretend they are news channels when they are clearly not. Fox lies A TON, manipulates pictures, videos, and sound to fit their narrative, without any regard for facts. They are DUMBING DOWN the nation, and studies confirm that:

Proof

Those who watched Fox News almost daily were significantly more likely than those who never watched it to believe that most economists estimate the stimulus caused job losses (12 points more likely), most economists have estimated the health care law will worsen the deficit (31 points), the economy is getting worse (26 points), most scientists do not agree that climate change is occurring (30 points), the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts (14 points), their own income taxes have gone up (14 points), the auto bailout only occurred under Obama (13 points), when TARP came up for a vote most Republicans opposed it (12 points) and that it is not clear that Obama was born in the United States (31 points). The effect was also not simply a function of partisan bias, as people who voted Democratic and watched Fox News were also more likely to have such misinformation than those who did not watch it--though by a lesser margin than those who voted Republican.

Stop watching propaganda and start looking at FACTS, that's the only way you can help yourself. Being a dumb brainwashed drone who blindly accepts everything they hear just because it fits their viewpoint are sad sad little creatures...and they're hurting the rest of us by voting in an illogical way.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Western MSM not only lies ..they are smiling to us also ..never foget

edit on 2-3-2011 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Did I read that U.S Propoganda part correctly on businessinsider????

In any case, yes Russia today is quite informative and U.S. media harldy is, unless you are an ATS member of course.

I agree with alot of what she is saying, but the problem isn't only Baywatch, Jersey Shore or other forms of Reality TV that dumbs down the public, people do not like to be dumbed down either.

Everytime I watch MSNBC, Fox or CNN I mostly see BS
It's all a bunch of BS

Why can't we have easy access to news?
MSNBC is left leaning, Fox is right leaning
Why lean either way?
Isn't biased news very much NOT news?
To add on to it it's not even news, it's commentary.

So now it's biased commentary, that is very much propoganda to say the least

Americans are bombarded with propoganda DAILY

You want to win the information war?
How about actually providing information?
Wow... isn't that a novel idea?

www.businessinsider.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

MSNBC is not left leaning. It's Democrat leaning. There's a notable difference, and people often confuse the two. But the Democrats in no way represent left values or politics. On the same level neither do MSNBC

There isn't anything in mainstream American media that qualifies as left leaning, never mind full out left.

Russia Today and Al Jazeera are okay. It's Anti-American, sure, but the truth itself is Anti-American

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

You know, every time I've brought this up I can almost hear the hackles rise. And yet, here I go again.

There are still some most excellent US based non-biased news sources out there. My personal long-time favorite (straps on helmet) is The Christian Science Monitor. Seriously. Do some research, tell me I'm wrong.

A very liberal, atheist political science college prof turned me onto it years ago. I still thank him for it.

edit on 3/2/2011 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

C-Span and Open Democracy are good media. They're the two American ones I enjoy, after have informative guests on and alot of healthy debate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join