It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vote Howard out: Michael Moore

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   
CONTROVERSIAL American filmmaker Michael Moore urged Australians to vote out the Howard government at the forthcoming election for its role in the Iraq war.
news.com.au...

I respect MM regarding most issues, but I think he is contradicting his F-911 points
about 'dictating' to another country by telling Oz voters who they should vote for.

Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
MM is so full of himself, it's unreal.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I'm gonna vote out Howard anyway for the exact reason. Decided this even before I saw Fahrenheit 9/11

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
How is he contradicting himself by calling for people to vote a guy out of office? He isn't dictating anything? I agree MM is full of himself but that doesn't make any sense.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
He did the same thing in Canada during the recent election campaign by saying the Conservative party under Stephen Harper (then ahead in the polls) was the same as George W. Bush and his cronies. Yes, he was being nosy... but he was also right.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I've never voted for Little Johnny, and I never will.

I've never voted for Beazley or Keating either. And Pete Latham won't be getting it either. The addition of Peter Garrett won't help them get my vote, although I'm sure a lot of ignorant "green" voters will be fooled by this plan.

That leaves minority parties. People often question the validity of voting for a minority when they know they won't be elected. Consequently, they end up voting for either Liberal or Labour - the lesser of two evils.

News Flash... if enough people actually vote for the minorities in the first place they will be elected. Amazing, hey?

One last point, here in Oz every single person over 18 HAS TO vote. Too many people treat election day as a race. To see how quick they can get in and out, and back to the footy or cricket game on TV. They use the "express" method of voting, by ticking a single box at the top of the page. That's when the dreaded Preferences come into effect. If the Party you ticked doesn't have a chance of figuring in the top two, the party directs their preference for their vote to one of the top two parties of their choice.

If we all took five minutes, the length of an ad-break, to go to the bottom of the page and number every single box we can circumvent their preferences and at least direct our votes exactly the way we want.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Speaking as a fan of MM and his work, I am sure he would agree that you should never let anyone else think for you, including (and perhaps especially) Michael Moore.

Study the facts and make up your own minds.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I would tend to agree that John Weasel Howard is on his way out without the assistance of Michael Moore.

But I like Moore's audacity in telling Australians what to do, it's funny. He will not be saying to vote Helen Clark out.

* sings brief refrain from some Peter Allen song *

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Michael Moore is an annoying little pest. No one cares about his opinions. We have our own. personaly I like to watch his movies to laugh and mock them. Michael Moore should stay out of australia's business.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticalUnicorn
Michael Moore is an annoying little pest. No one cares about his opinions.

I think the second part of that is a bit of an overstatement, given that he has won the global peak prizes in film-making, he is the most talked about film maker on ATS and there is an ENTIRE FORUM about Fahrenheit 911 here.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Michael Moore is a great social commentator but he really should stay out of the political side of things.

I also think its funny that when he bitches about the US...Australians are on his side and with him, but, when he bitches about Australian problems....we cant take it, and we get all offended and defensive. We are heading down the same path, jesus, you only have to watch the news and read the news papers to see why.

D

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Normally, I don't mind Michael Moore, but he can bugger off if he wants to get involved with Australian politics. First it was the Bush Administration now its Michael Moore.

I don't support Howard myself and hope that he does get voted out. But I'm sick of outsiders getting involved with our politics.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   
It really is sad when social commentators, as good as they might be, begin to get involved in the politics of another country whose political history and culture are not entirely aware of. I respect MM, however in this situation he is out of line.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:00 AM
link   
MM is RIGHT, we should get Howard out of office.

Maybe the rest of you should stop being so damned xenophobic just because MM says we should get him out of office.

I guess a lot of you must be howard-bush-blair supporters or something.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I really hope howard gets taken out by a stray nutter at parliament house. He has betrayed our confidence and put us in unnessisary danger by kissing bush and blair's asses. But I guess the Labour party isnt a very good alternative
we need more big parties.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I think John Howard has done a remarkable job with running the country. The economy is growing.. The debt is reduced... Tax breaks and compensation for families is on the increase.

Major conflicts have been dealt with in a timely manner and with little backlash from the labour government...

Besides Mark Latham... well do I have to say more....ok I will....

There is no one else that is CAPABLE of taking his place right at this moment...

I'll Stick with the coalition for the time being.

Chris

[edit on 21-7-2004 by OzChris]

[edit on 21-7-2004 by OzChris]

D

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yazman
MM is RIGHT, we should get Howard out of office.

Maybe the rest of you should stop being so damned xenophobic just because MM says we should get him out of office.

I guess a lot of you must be howard-bush-blair supporters or something.

I agree that we should vote John Howard out, it's just that I don't want outsiders telling us how we should vote. MM may be right, but he has no right in interfering with out domestic politics. He's already invovled in American politics and that's fine by me, since he is American.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Irrespective of your opinion of John Howard, I agree with D- it should be left to Australians to decide and form an opinion, MM has no right as a pseudo political commentator to interfere in the affairs of a sovereign country.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzChris

I'll Stick the the coalition for the time being.

Hear! Hear!

Australians need to stick the coalition all right.

Defence of weasel Howard at ATS on grounds of economy and social policy can be as weak as the stuff you read around here defending the actions of the Bush administration. All Australian a**lickers should rally behind Howard!

For free thinkers who believe a nation of 20 million people is not required to suck up to an errant "big brother" - those who want to "stick" the coalition where it belongs, well away from Parliament House, no doubt Mark Latham is growing on you.

How about if Michael Moore ran for PM in Australia? At least he would be allowed to. No Australian could ever be president of the USA, funny 'bout that.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Honestly, if Mark Latham ever made it to the post of Prime Minister I think it would be a good time to leave Australia. The guy has changed his opinion on so many issues and his foreign policy stance just plain scares me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join