It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German defence minister Guttenberg resigns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

German defence minister Guttenberg resigns

www.bbc.co.uk

German Defence Minister Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg has stepped down after he was found to have copied large parts of his university doctorate.

Mr Guttenberg, considered until recently a possible candidate for chancellor, has already been stripped of his PhD.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Another one bites the dust..

Good to see these worms being ripped out of the woodwork.
Just goes to show the incompetence of those who would do anything to get into power.

It's all very well being a high paid top executive and the like, but can yo do the job?

Scamming, tricking, paying your way in is not going to work for too much longer.. I hope this raises awareness for millions of others ..

www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Anyone else find it ironic that someone by the name Guttenberg was caught copying?

Seriously?

I mean really??

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

i followed this one since it broke on the web. not so much on the msm. how the hell someone gets to that level of power without full scrutiny is beyond me unless it was a 'jobs for the boys' career make. busted!
i am wondering which career move is in the pipeline next for this character.
f

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by fakedirt
how the hell someone gets to that level of power without full scrutiny is beyond me

reminds me of Obama
in a disturbing way

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien

Another one bites the dust..

Good to see these worms being ripped out of the woodwork.
Just goes to show the incompetence of those who would do anything to get into power.

It IS good to see such action taken, and to see that the fellow has resigned the position that he attained by such nefarious means. It is most important that persons who gain status and social position which puts them in control of peoples lives are above reproach, and held to moral standards far in excess of those who live under thier order...

It's all very well being a high paid top executive and the like, but can yo do the job?

Scamming, tricking, paying your way in is not going to work for too much longer.. I hope this raises awareness for millions of others ..

www.bbc.co.uk

... However, there is another point here. I believe that in order for government to be representative of its people, that the persons who make the choices that affect the nation are people who do not just represent that nation, but are from the societal level which makes up the majority.
In Britain for instance we have a government, in which the power resides with a few Eaton schooled, university educated, well to do gentlemen, who know nothing of real life in thier own nation. They claim to represent the desires and the needs of the people in parliament , but are fundamentaly incapable of this due to the plain fact, that they have never expirienced the hardship of poverty, or victimisation by the state, that most regular folks have been exposed to.
It is my belief, that being highly educated, well off, and generaly beyond worry over monthly bills (which all these extremely powerful men absolutely are) makes them unfit to speak on behalf of all but the minority of Britons, and thusly , I believe that unless the House of Commons becomes populated almost exclusively , and the power positions held only by, former bin men, pizza delivery boys, postmen, plumbers , electricians, former car plant workers (which are legion in Britain) , that we will not get a truely representative government.
What I am driving at is that although Guttenberg cheated his way into his position, one should not REQUIRE a doctorate, or any other kind of high level qualification to be a person of power in his nation, because such things are reserved for the lucky and the privileged largely speaking, or at least have been for many years.
The only measure of a persons fitness to govern, is to observe thier morality, thier ethics, both in word and deed, and should these persons be found wanting, then they should be disallowed. Should they be found to be decent, hardworking, thoughtful, caring , and utterly beyond the control of anyone but the people, THEN and ONLY then, are they worth considering for public office of any kind whatsoever.
Guttenberg for instance is probably not qualified to even breathe air by that standard, which would fit him well enough alongside every parliamentarian of every nation on the face of the world.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

no doubt this guy will set up a private security company. these characters do not seem to scuttle away into oblivion, seems they just move into the officeblock next door.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

just throwing an idea out here. set up a computer system that selects members of parliament randomly on an annual basis from the whole of the population. that would at the very least cover all levels of society.
f

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

I had to star your post. You touched on a very important point about the current state of politics. The common man all over the western world has been bumped from his seat in government by the trust fund babies, cheats, blue bloods, and monied interests. To have a truly representative government that is vibrant and akin to the troubles of the majority of society, the little guy needs a fair shake at seats in the legislature. Sadly, I think those days have come to pass and if one is not sitting on a mountain of cash they have no say or opportunity to serve. In total agreement with your points about misrepresentation of the vast majority of population in the UK, and I would reckon much of the western world as well.
edit on 1-3-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

I think it would be an idea to at least have such a system for choosing the candidate pool for the year. If the people chose the end winners, then at least they would have some direct access to the candidates, and the selection process, but other than that amendment I completely agree. Either this or something very much similar to it, should perhaps be implemented to return the power to the people.
Of course we would have to come up with some pretty stonking security for such a system, since we dont want the Chinese or the USA choosing our leaders via remote hacking

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
These kinds of things can be kept quiet.

The fact this came out and he resigned means there is more going on here.

Last week France's Foreign minister resigned and the Defense minister was replaced.

I would ask: Could this be tied to the wave of Middle Eastern revolution and NATO military intervention?
edit on 1/3/11 by MikeboydUS because: s

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Two Central European defense ministers being replaced in such a short time might not be a coincidence as the previous poster states.

Guttenberg had 75% approval despite and after the scandal. People forgave him because he was a good minister with a moderate stance toward military intervention.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
These kinds of things can be kept quiet.

The fact this came out and he resigned means there is more going on here.

Last week France's Foreign minister resigned and the Defense minister was replaced.

I would ask: Could this be tied to the wave of Middle Eastern revolution and NATO military intervention?
edit on 1/3/11 by MikeboydUS because: s

Good catches there, Fulford's ninjas at work, factional in fighting, who knows but it looks like something is afoot.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Its a big problem in my nation, that much I do know. Look at these and tell me we have a representative parliament?

David Cameron:
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Nick Clegg :
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Ed Miliband:en.wikipedia.org...

Now bear in mind please, that these gentlefolk are the leaders of the top political parties in the country. Two out of three of these are widely reported to be what can only be fairly described as "utterly bloody loaded", and the least well off of them , has a barrister for a wife, and has large portions of his life supported by the tax payer.
How does that represent the single parents who are forced to choose between being there for thier children, and being able to earn enough to feed them? How does that represent the unemployed people who then go to thier doctors because the lack of income and social mobility in thier lives is making them depressed to the point of suicide?
Answer... it doesnt.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Thanks for the articles on the three leading political figures in the UK. I knew the sitting Prime Minister, David Cameron was well off, but I had never known the extent of it. Ha, well off is an under statement. The guy is filthy rich, and has some aristocracy in his blood.

Then, the other two are sitting on quite hefty sums as well. In the financial straits the UK is going through, I find it hard that these people would be of any use in alleviating the pressures of the poverty stricken, and struggling middle class. In other words, these individuals may as well have been living on the moon in regards to the lowly serfs slugging it out in the streets to make a living.

Another thing I noticed in one of the articles is how some of these benevolent politicians would readily rely on the taxpayers dime to make private business decisions, when in all reality, they could finance them on their own dime. What a lofty lot you have running your nation. Thanks for the info, and after reading about the big three in UK politics, your response makes sense. I am fairly certain the elites are as giddy as children before Christmas with these people grasping the reigns of power in the UK. As for the struggling little guy who can't find a job while being taxed to the gills, or his kids who are on the hook for tuition hikes, or the single mother struggling to feed her kids, and others who are being raked over the coals in the UK.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

some very very nice dirt you have furnished us with there tb. the rothschilds connection imo says it all regarding cam the man. cleggs wife i have heard through the grapevine is involved in patent law in the eu amongst other things. very lucrative careers all round, chin chin!
regards fake

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Actually,this Scandal was pretty much all over our MSM and the Internet since it came out. Some even say our Media was the Reason he resigned...it was like a Witch Hunt here,both within the MSM and the Opposition Party´s.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

the french foreign minister resigned due to close ties with libyans elite class and taking holidays there according to the bbc.
guttenberg was under pressure from thousands of academics who voiced their disgust to the government. 2006 doctorate was someone elses work apparently. 5 years and he's riding the gravy train? seemed a tad fast track imo. he could always apply for a new post, doctor in doctorate doctoring.
f

top topics

join