It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. and Allies Weigh Libya No-Fly Zone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

U.S. and Allies Weigh Libya No-Fly Zone

www.nytimes.com

White House, State Department and Pentagon officials held talks with their European and NATO counterparts about how to proceed in imposing flight restrictions over Libya. A senior administration official said Sunday that no decision had been made, and expressed caution that any decision on a no-fly zone would have to be made in consultations with allies.

A diplomat at the United Nations said that any such action would require further debate among the 15 nations of the Security Council, which was unlikely to act unless there was a significant increase in state-sponsored violence in Libya, i
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Is this how the actual latest "war" will begin with Libya?

A "no fly" zone being enforced by the states above their region?

This can be viewed in one of two ways in my humble opinion:

1. It is all about "protecting the Libyan citizens" from another dictatorial ruler.

Or

2. This is a way to instigate a direct confrontation of firepower with the Libyan Airforce so the globalists and war machine can start their latest "nation liberation" and "spreading of democracy", and sucker us all into yet ANOTHER conflict / invasion.

As always, I will allow the reader to draw their own conclusions.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Cool - I conclude that the Libyan AF, such as is left of it, probably isn't capable of being in a controntation with anyone that involves any firepower, so I pick answer #1.

That and sticking it to Gaddafi for being a slimeball skuzbucket.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Nah, it's just scare tactics meant to make the current regime believe that a US led war on Libya is possible. They seen what happened to Saddam.

Better leave before the no-fly zone is approved and enforced, you should already know what comes next.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Theyre not going to bomb Libya. Nobodys going to go for that one.

Lets talk about bombing Iran. Theres a regime I would enjoy taking a heavy squat on.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
They determine a no-fly zone, it's only to keep this douche-pot from hiring some homocidal maniacs from strafing and bombing civilians. There are folks who will do anything for cash.

But point well taken . . . Iran . . .

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

The no fly zone was to protect people on the ground from helicopter / plane attacks, which Kdaffy has been using. Its the exact same thing that occured after the first Iraq war, when Hussein went after the kurds with chemical weapons, planes and helicopters.

Essentially the thought process is to level the playing field where its just ground combat.

The UN is on board as well, with the Secretary-General calling for assistance. The Rebels though have told the US they are not wanted on the ground (no ground troops from US / NATO).

I think they are getting ready to suspend / boot libya from the human rights committee they sit on.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Its the exact same thing that occured after the first Iraq war, when Hussein went after the kurds with chemical weapons, planes and helicopters.

The gassing of the kurds happened in 1988, three years before Desert Storm, not afterwards.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

In many ways this is also similar to what NATO did in the Balkans in the 1990s.

We will establish no fly zones.

It also looks like we are going to supply and arm the opposition, just like Bosnia and Kossovo.

If one thinks about it, this Middle Eastern wave of revolution is like 1989 and its aftermath, i.e. the Balkan wars, but in fast forward. Instead of years and months, events are happening in weeks and days.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Yes... and chemical weapons were not used in any of those actions.

As I said, the gassing of the Kurds happened in 1988

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

I reject your reality and substitute my own
I will see if I can find some of the news articles, but chems were used in areas of the north after the end of the gulf war.

@ MickeyboydUS
As far as the balkans go I can see what you are talking about. I am hoping beyond hope that the people protesting and toppeling the governments are the younger generation who is tired of fighting and using religion. I think if they can make real change in their countries, it will force the US to change our ways.

Just because Mubarrik is exchanged for a democratic government does not mean they will automatiucally be our friends.

Respect is earned and I think at times the US forgets this.
edit on 28-2-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join