It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick answer sought on gender abuse!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
What should be, or could be (in your country) the punishment for a man who grabs his wife by the throat (until she thinks she will die, and gets death-panic), and he yanks her hair back so far that some strands are still on the ground after the madman goes away?
Maybe it only lasts 5 minutes, and during this time he is shouting something to the effect: "Oppose me again, and I will kill you!"
All the family knows this man is sick.
What should be the punishment for this man?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Imprisonment - and a restraining order.

This is what would typically happen in Canada. But he would be out shortly after, I'm sure. Restraining orders are only good if he obeys them. What I think should happen? One hell of a lashing and then put away for a while.
edit on 2/26/2011 by hhcore because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Someone who treats any woman that way is not a Man.

I believe the punishment should be the same damage inflicted, and some time locked up to think about what he has done, and then some counseling.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I have a cousin that is a cop in Canada . Upon the call to police he gets hand cuffed , charged with assault and battery and spousal abuse . His guns are confiscated on the spot and his firearms liscence is seized and then he goes to jail awaiting bail . It isn't necessary for the girlfriend/wife to actually testify against him because once there is evidence of spousal abuse the cops lay the charges , the victim doesn't prefer charges although her witness statement is taken . If she requires medical attention the paramedics were dispatched the same time as the cops . The guy appears in court , charges are read and bail is set with an order of no contact and no possession of firearms , ammunition and explosives . It goes to court and the victim is called as a witness and some girlfriends and wives are remorseful for all of the trouble but if they change their story one bit to minimize events they get charged with making a false police report . The guy gets convicted and gets 24 months for assault causing bodily harm and 24 months for spousal abuse . He'll probably end up doing 18 months with another 24 months on parole and if there was drinking involved a condition of parole will be random blood tests and if alcohol is found his parole is violated and he does the full sentance . Upon completion of sentance he'll have a 5 year prohibition on the ownership of firearms , ammunition and explosives . Bite your lip , walk away or argue without touching for as soon as you violently touch a woman the full force of the law is coming down on you .

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Here in the States, imprisonment (if the woman pressed charges) and a restraining order would be a good idea.

But in my opinion...and what would happen in some country towns and backwood areas...this woman's male relatives, her daddy, brothers, uncles....would take the perpetrator out to the woods, beat him senseless, and let him know in no uncertain terms that he'd best not harm her again. This usually seems to get the message across quite nicely.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I do not condone the type of violence discussed here, but wish to point something out.

It ALWAYS takes two to tango.

What would drive a man to do this?

Psycological help is what he needs so it prevents it happening again. All the punishment and confinement in the world won't steer things towards a positive outcome and would probably cause resentment, anger and vindication.

Create cures, don't just treat the symptoms. Sounds like the OP is talking about acts of desperation when the man feels there is no option but to explode the pent up emotions within.

Families can be quite a handful for fathers, but where's the help?

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Forget staying with him during any such treatment, counseling, etc. Who knows how far he'll go next time he blows up? Don't take the chance.

Any man who crosses the line that bad needs to be instantly out of one's life, and taken out of society a bit while he's figuring out his issues. (i.e. imprisoned).

Afterwards, there needs to be a restraining order preventing him from getting near any women he's victimized in this way...(and once out, if he screws up again, the societal removal should be more permanent).

edit on 28-2-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

top topics

join