It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bodyless Dog's head brought back to life. 1940's Russian experiment.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Yup and it's coast's a cool $20,000+ grand a week.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MITSwagger

""My body has been used for both purposes during my lifetime and after my death, whether I continue to exist or not, I shall have no further use for it, and desire that it shall be used by others. Its refrigeration, if this is possible, should be a first charge on my estate."[9]"
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
This is who headed the research for this field of study.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
This is grotesque.

I can't even imagine what other experiments have been done on any living animal or being.

If Dr. Mengele could do disgusting and dark experiments on human beings, then it shows how animals are just another project.

I can't even go into the kinds of experiments the govt. has done..i know we have many things due to experimenting, but most are done for "playing God"...it disgusts me..

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MITSwagger
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

biology.about.com...

Please do not insult my intelligence. Man, this is why I am starting to hate ATS. Because of post's like yours. Did you even watch the video? The Blood they pump is of the dog's. They are able to apply oxygen as well. Why do you insist that the brain does not control muscle function? it does not matter if it is your Toe, Finger, Eye, Anus, Kidney, Liver. it's all controlled by the brain. Your misconception is that of believing your stomach is where your immune system comes from.

I hope no one insults your intelligence...I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don't think, and def hope, that no one was saying the brain doesn't control muscle/nerve/respiratory/everything, but, if I were to cut your head off and keep blood pumping to it...do you honestly believe that you would be able to lift your head and/or not only stick your tongue out but have control over it?
it all boils down to that old kids song, the neck bone's connected to the.... you need leverage, muscle, ligaments, tendons, to control body movement...if you just needed blood, a brain, and muscles why do we have ligaments and tendons? My foot would still be alive if you cut my achilles tendon, but, I couldn't move it.

That is what is being said here. This is a hoax. They would show the other side of the dog's head if it were otherwise. Have a good night and believe me when I say I do not question your intelligence, if you were like the other riff raff out in ATS land you would have responded with an insult...not more info!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

edit on 25-2-2011 by MITSwagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
that's just great. I cannot edit post's nor can I post pictures.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Tech has come a long way since 1940.Now they can print a body for the poor dog.
Bioprinters
pda.physorg.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
This is quite possible. The technology exists today to transplant a head from one body to another. Limited as it may be (the transplanted head cannot be interfaced with the host body's neural system, as science has yet to be able to successfully reattach a severed spinal cord, meaning that the resulting entity will be a quadriplegic), but it is possible, at least in test animals. This procedure has never been tried on a human subject yet as far as the scientific community is aware, but in theory it should work. Keeping a dog's head alive by mechanical means should be quite easy. If you research, you'll be amazed at what science can do today and will be able to do in the near future.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
That was one disturbing video i couldnt even watch it all but im sure this experiment was just one of many in the name of science ..and probley is going on right now behind closed doors in this day and age it wouldnt surprise me

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Golly guys. You can see those exact kind of heads (not dog but human) on television news programs every day.

Seriously back in the fifties that was big news. I remember it when I was in high school. Hollywood liked it so much that they made a mooooovie about a girl that was just a head. The movie sucked but the popcorn then was only 10 cents or 15 cents for buttered so that part was pretty good.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   

J B Haldane, Don't know about the video but I checked out the guy who introduced it J B Haldane, he is a genetesist. Would an eminent scientist of the time be involved in a fake?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Dogs head experimentDogs head experiment Here are a couple of links to more info on experiment.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

crude soviet era propaganda - the scary thing is how many people believe it

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
the head lives
external stimulants....dude straight pokes that pooch with a needle in the eye?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I don't know if this has been said or not, but this set of experiments was performed in the USSR (from memory) - they don't continue with such horrific studies any more (ethics committees are pretty strict). There have been quite a number of similar experiments hailing from the USA, too. Two that stick in my mind are

1. A gentleman named Robert White (en.wikipedia.org...) who performed a monkey head transplant in the 1970's.

www.youtube.com...

2. Robert White's work was inspired by another man, Vladimir Demikhov (another USSR man), who created a number of two headed dogs, some of which survived for months.

www.time.com...

I think it's worth noting for at least these two, that while the experiments a definitely abhorrent in their nature, they were ground breaking for their time and were designed to pave the way for organ transplantation.

The same could be said for Sergei Bryukhonenko's work. Morally wrong by modern standards, but the idea behind the study was not to maim dogs - it was to investigate methods of resuscitation. This is an abstract from a work (also Soviet) that came as a direct result of Bryukhonenko:

One of the most complicated problems of resuscitation is the reanimation of a man or a warm-blooded animal after death due to drowning. According to the available data drowning is the third most common cause of death by accidents; the mortality rate is especially high in young people.

The difficulty of revival of animals or patients who have died from drowning arises from the finding that the lungs are filled with water in 90% of cases (Gonzales, 1940). During the agonal phase spasm of bronchioles and inflation of lungs often occur. At autopsy of drowned subjects recently taken out of the water it is impossible to remove the water and air from the lungs by compressing them by hand, as Bryukhonenko and his colleagues observed in the early 1930s. He believed that in many cases of sudden clinical death, death finally occurred because of complete inhibition of the whole central nervous system, as the regulating apparatus was lost last (S.S. Bryukhonenko, unpublished observations)

Taking into account the difficulty of resuscitation, and the absence of an effective method for revival of animals and patients who have died from drowning, we decided to test the effectiveness of artificial circulation in dogs.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

NOTE: I am in no way advocating these sorts of experiments. There is a reason we have ethics committees and why these sorts of things aren't done any more. All I am saying is that you should get a little perspective on their reasoning before labelling them simply as 'monsters', or what have you.

Also, I think there were suspicions that this was a hoax. It wasn't. The article I linked above has multiple references to Bryukhonenko's work. Also, I do believe that Bryukhonenko made another apparatus akin to the one in the youtube video, which is now on display in a museum somewhere.
edit on 26-2-2011 by hypervalentiodine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by hypervalentiodine
I don't know if this has been said or not, but this set of experiments was performed in the USSR (from memory) - they don't continue with such horrific studies any more (ethics committees are pretty strict). There have been quite a number of similar experiments hailing from the USA, too. Two that stick in my mind are

1. A gentleman named Robert White (en.wikipedia.org...) who performed a monkey head transplant in the 1970's.

www.youtube.com...

2. Robert White's work was inspired by another man, Vladimir Demikhov (another USSR man), who created a number of two headed dogs, some of which survived for months.

www.time.com...

I think it's worth noting for at least these two, that while the experiments a definitely abhorrent in their nature, they were ground breaking for their time and were designed to pave the way for organ transplantation.

The same could be said for Sergei Bryukhonenko's work. Morally wrong by modern standards, but the idea behind the study was not to maim dogs - it was to investigate methods of resuscitation. This is an abstract from a work (also Soviet) that came as a direct result of Bryukhonenko:

One of the most complicated problems of resuscitation is the reanimation of a man or a warm-blooded animal after death due to drowning. According to the available data drowning is the third most common cause of death by accidents; the mortality rate is especially high in young people.

The difficulty of revival of animals or patients who have died from drowning arises from the finding that the lungs are filled with water in 90% of cases (Gonzales, 1940). During the agonal phase spasm of bronchioles and inflation of lungs often occur. At autopsy of drowned subjects recently taken out of the water it is impossible to remove the water and air from the lungs by compressing them by hand, as Bryukhonenko and his colleagues observed in the early 1930s. He believed that in many cases of sudden clinical death, death finally occurred because of complete inhibition of the whole central nervous system, as the regulating apparatus was lost last (S.S. Bryukhonenko, unpublished observations)

Taking into account the difficulty of resuscitation, and the absence of an effective method for revival of animals and patients who have died from drowning, we decided to test the effectiveness of artificial circulation in dogs.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

NOTE: I am in no way advocating these sorts of experiments. There is a reason we have ethics committees and why these sorts of things aren't done any more. All I am saying is that you should get a little perspective on their reasoning before labelling them simply as 'monsters', or what have you.

Also, I think there were suspicions that this was a hoax. It wasn't. The article I linked above has multiple references to Bryukhonenko's work. Also, I do believe that Bryukhonenko made another apparatus akin to the one in the youtube video, which is now on display in a museum somewhere.

Makes me seriously wonder if when people die in the future they will retransplant their heads or their brains either onto machines/robots or donor bodies or something else. Seriously, we may end up doing something like this. Another possibility is we'll find out a way to repair the damaged brain/body after it has died. I have no idea how they'd do it, but nanomachines have broad potential to repair things in the body. It's all a question of: a) technology b) pain involved. If the technology isn't good enough or the pain is too high then it would never get past the ethics board. And of course the problem with this kind of research is that you learn faster if you experiment on actual animal/human bodies/brains. That invites sinister parties to do this research illegally.

I wonder what people 500 years ago would think if they knew we have heart transplants and machines to keep people alive and other technologies? Would they feel we're playing god by keeping people alive that would have been dead 500 years ago?

I would have died 500 years ago after 6 months of pregnancy. I was premature. They never asked me whether I wanted to live or not. They never asked me if I liked living artificially for 3 months outside my mom. They never asked me if I wanted to absorb the burdens of being premature (people who were premature tend to have more disabilities throughout life). They're getting better at keeping premature babies health both when they're young and when they grow older, but it's a long road.

It's easy to do abortion and 'experiments' on babies but not adults because adults can talk back.
edit on 26-2-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
That right there, I mean really that right there! is Bonkerzzzzzzzzzz! Why would we even need to know that a head could be brought back to life after seperation from the body.

Do I know have to worry about someone stealing my body for someones head to be attached to it?! I mean c'mon now! JEEZ!

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I've seen some pretty cruel videos of live animals in horrible awful suituations over the years but this is up there as one of the worst of the worst.

Man should be ashamed of himself!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join