It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If gas is $ 5.00 dollars a gallon?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
In Israel gas is $10.00 a gallon already. It may spurn a gradual switch to smaller cars like you already see in Europe, but overall nothing much will change. You'll just pay it.
edit on 2/25/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedonk

This could all be avoided if the US government just authorised some drilling in the massive untouched oilfields in the good old USA, shame they will not allow this until the rest of the worlds oil has dried up. They are playing the long game desperately trying to ensure they remain a world super power by hoarding their resources.

The problem with us only having any oil left is the target we will paint on ourselves. You think terrorists have it out for us now, just wait until we are the only ones with oil, then look and see who all is ready to start taking shots at us. Not a good plan at all.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Too true. And when you mean they will want it that means everyone will want it. 100 years ago nothing was run on oil, but we werent to the point of where we are today. Oil runs everything, every aspect of your life thats the way they get control, they need it , they crave it. We are a giant ant farm.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
electric cars dont really work up in the arctic region since the batteries will deplete faster then intended and "home made" hydrogen is not an option since the water will be frozen 2/3 of the year ,

so its either ethanol which has to be bougth from the states since your not allowed to make it on your own so its a 50/60 deal anyways ,

as i stated in an other thread , i already pay 152 $ for 80 liters (full tank unleaded)

gas prices rocketed when the iraq war began , it used to be around 100 $ + - before that for the same amount of unleaded 98 oct,

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Will all due respect to our brethren across the pond, Europe is relatively tiny.

While you guys pay more per gallon, you have to travel far fewer miles per year than most Americans do, and Americans lucky enough to have a job don't have one that covers the cost of living as it is.. Where I live, I'm pretty lucky, if push comes to shove, I have stores within walking distance: two miles each way. Unfortunately, to supply my home would mean several trips as I can only carry so much, and that would severely impact what else I could do. Getting from here to there in America means travelling much further than what Europeans are used to: try tripling or quadrupling your annual driving distances to get to the proper scale. And public transportation is mostly a joke, an afterthought in the US. Last time I rode a bus a few moths ago, the one-way fare was $2.50, and it took aa hour to get to where a had to go, a ten minute journey by car. Not to mention the fact that public transportation is highly unreliable: to make sure you get to where you are going on time you need to to take the the bus before the one that will get you there, costing an extra half-hour to an hour in time.

To get my brother to the doctor means a 30 mile one way drive. No choice there: he's on MediCal and that's the only doctor willing to treat him. I myself haven't seen a doctor in a decade or so, I can't afford to. We grow a lot of our own food and herbs. We've cut and shaved until there is nothing left.

Hidden inflation is rampant in the US. I say hidden because it takes the form of unannounced size redutions: containers that used to be a pint or a pound are down to 13.5 ounces usually, but the recution was never announced, and because the price is calculated per unit rather than per ounce, it isn't reflected in the Consumer Price Index, as the price of gas and electricity also isn't included.

I' m not sure if Europe understands how dire the situation in the US actually is. The unemployment rate is actually double the official numbers at least. Municipal and county budgets are already busted, more states are broke than not, and the politicians refuse to consider increasing taxes, preferring to increase unemployment instead.

If gas goes to $5 a gallon (we're not that far from it here in California, it's already brushing $4 a gallon today), it will be the final straw for a lot of individuals I know who work part-time as the best they can get. At $5 a gallon, it will no longer be affordable to work, as fuel costs will exceed the paycheck.

It will also be the final straw for a lot of government budgets, too, especially if /when another big storm demands using a lot of gas in less than best mileage conditions.

In the US, $5 dollar gas will probably put around half a million people out on the street when those on the margin lose the ability to support themselves.

The rest of us will be pushed into the margins ourselves, awaiting the next little economic shove to push us over the edge and out into the street.
edit on 25-2-2011 by apacheman because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-2-2011 by apacheman because: sp

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

Hahahaa thanks for the tips
. It's not a stock engine. I built a 350 and dropped it in a little over a year ago. The entire engine, from carb, intake, pistons, cams, etc is custom ( and matching, I'm not the genius who thinks they can throw a big cam in an engine without changing out just about everything else along with it to match it's specs). So I had to expect the low MPG with the performance this thing puts out.

But I would not trade my carb for anything. I don't care about any of the claims about an electronic fuel delivery system. I cannot work on them, I am incapable. I can play with a carb all day, it's easy and fun. But man, put me behind a laptop trying to figure out how to tune my engine, and I will look like a total idiot.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Well Americans only spend about 5 to 8 % on fuel here and most other countries spend 20% + we could do 5.00.
I’m sure the dumb will say use solar or ethanol, or spit or whatever but the bottom line is the Obama and liberal pushes is just for a new business to make money. And they don’t work either. It will hit the poor that hardest because they use the highest of their income. That means unrest and pissed off people, just like some in our gov want. It’s all planned.
If we did a for oil Manhattan project we could come out of this one day, but the courage just isn’t there in the American people.
$8.00 GAS, the real fun starts…

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I drive 200 miles to work when im working and shuttle my kid around from my inlaws and to and from.I could get a newer gas efficient car but my truck is payed for so ill keep it running for now. And what about the joke of a slow speed train they want to install in ohio, 40mph gimme a break.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
There are a great many alternatives to gasoline. Only the suckers buy into the belief that there aren't ready alternative energy sources available.

Ethanol from corn is very inefficient. Ethanol from sugar cane is very efficient. Big oil doesn't want to see these products developed because they can't be controlled like petro, which comes from a few isolated sources.

The real energy solution will be from hemp, making bio-diesel. Hemp grows fine in northern climates. This is the real reason why mj is illegal.

Our current infrastructure is built to be extremely inefficient, to keep us all as debt slaves, having to drive long distances, pay high insurance costs, by new cars regularly, and use lots of gasoline. This was all established be the fed res, which controls mortgage lending, and thereby dictates how our cities and manufacturing centers are set up.

How is it that morons keep blaming the fed gov for the actions of the fed res?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I wonder if the increase is because of the billions the gov has spent on electric and hybrid cars that no one is buying. A great way to increase sales..

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by smallblockchevy

5$ a gallon is actually VERY GOOD...
in ROMANIA a gallon of gasoline is 7 $ for a long time now!
I think you should prepare for something like 7-8 $ a gallon soon!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The increase in price is due to the dwindling supply of oil World oil production peaked 3 years ago.

They aren't even putting out oil production numbers anymore to hide the facts.

The evidence is becoming more and more clear, that the PTB will do anything to keep us dependent on oil. Clearly it is the life blood of the elites.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

you made me confused

a buss ticket here where i live cost about 10 euro one way, its about 15 us $ to the nearest city i have here and its an 1h 20min away by buss

that 2.5 $ wont even cover a night fee with public transportation over here

, while E.U might be half the size of U.S its by no means cities every 20km or so ,

who know s, all i can say is that im just a bit perplexed by your post

, mabye U.S is broke because its a cheep place to live ?

then again wealth is a very subjective subject

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Although I can really understand where you are coming from, the issue as I see it is a similar one to the 70s.. where we saw an overnight doubling of the oil prices that put the UK on a 3 day working week... talk about stuffed, regardless of how far we each travel, or which side of the pond we are on, if that happens again we'll all be going from the frying pan directly into the fire...

My hope is that doesn't happen.. my fear is that it will..

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
According to the UK Mail Online

As the crisis in the Middle East deepened, the already inflated oil price was pushed even higher. The cost of Brent crude oil from the North Sea rose five per cent in a day to a two-year high, and the price of petrol is about to break the £6 ($9.67 USD) a gallon barrier. This is very bad news for consumers and threatens to derail the fragile recovery in Britain and elsewhere.

Source< br />
I understand that a very large proportion of the UK price for fuel is government tax being something like 70% although to be honest I don't know the exact figure.

I think it's relative in each country depending on a huge amount of different factors. The truth is it's hurting all of us and with so many people on the brink regarding finances any increase, be it fuel or government interest rate increases....it's enough to push so many over the edge and all financial hell breaks loose.

Sure we can cut back our vehicle usage but it will still impact us in so many other ways......lol it reminds of of the song Sunscreen ......

......Accept certain inalienable truths, prices will rise, politicians will
philander, you too will get old, and when you do you’ll fantasize
that when you were young prices were reasonable, politicians were
noble and children respected their elders. Respect your elders. Don’t expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund,
maybe you have a wealthy spouse; but you never know when either one
might run out.

Perhaps we should be hailing the prophecies of BAZ LUHRMAN
The true face of enlightenment

Well if we don't smile we'll only cry lol
edit on 25-2-2011 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
As long as the price goes high enough to keep the idiots off the road I don't care what they charge a gallon. In the same breath, how about taxing the internet for the same reason.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
its not filling my car im worried about. it's the price of everything else that uses fuel which is going to bother me and everyone else on different levels. I'm not sure about any other countries...but in America, an average product we buy from the shelf in a supermarket has traveled over 3000 miles before getting to said supermarket. not all products...but the median of them..
if fuel prices rise to over $5/gal almost doubling...well you do the math on everything else that uses that fuel...

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I have a buddy who is a really rich guy with a beautiful sail boat . He tries to sail from Florida to Texas every year , but didn't make it last year however he made it the year before and again this year . He buys navigational charts for the Gulf showing where the oil rigs are . Two years ago , 3,000 rigs , this year , zero , none . Yobama shut them down while loaning the Brazillian national oil company , Petrobas over 2 billion dollars to drill 2 miles deep off their coast . 75% of Americas east and west offshore coast have never been explored for oil , Yobama just took 14 million acres in the west out of exploration and development , no new Alaskan oil and a permit to drill on the lower 48 land mass is almost impossible to come by except for a couple of places in the Bakkan shale . You voted for 5 , 6 and 7 dollar gas so live with it . When he said that his national energy policy would force energy prices to skyrocket you should have believed it because he was telling the truth . Take a look at the USGS website to see the actual proven oil in the USA and the probable by the best scientists on the planet . Twice what the Arabs ever had and not a drop requires 100,000 troops along with carrier battle groups , but none accessable . Keep voting for 5 and 6 dollar gas and there is no doubt that you'll get it . American business and industry along with transportation was designed after WW11 for the unthinkable , outrageous price of 30 dollars per barrel and according to the Obamanauts it isn't high enough now to force the people and industry off fossil fuels . What a quaint idiotic notion while in just two countries , India and China , 35,000 cars are sold everyday non-stop and they'll buy every drop of oil that Americans are starved from . How's that , "Change We Can Believe In" coming ? Inside America there is a 1,000 year supply of natural gas and a proven 500 year supply of coal and with the precipitator and scrubber technology it's extremely clean , but it's fossil fuel and 20% of the world bought the hoax . The other 80% didn't . 70 years ago Hitler ran the German war machine on gasified coal with 80 year old technology and only made the run on the Ploesti oil fields in Romania to deny the Russians . Motorcycles to industry to cars to tanks on gasified coal and natural gas provides the power with far less emissions than gasified coal or gasoline , but we only have a 1,000 year supply . The brownouts and blackouts we experience now , nothing compared to when 5 million people get home at the same time and plug their electric clown cars in , but that's ok , we'll build 500 more coal fired and nuclear power plants to meet the demand . No enviromental impact there . Of course when a significant portion gets hooked on electric clown cars the price of electricity will skyrocket and be no cheaper than gasoline . Yes We Can , Yes We Can . The economy is is recession so lots of available young men to get killed protecting oil fields elsewhere and keep the shipping lanes open . The army goes to war while the rest of us go to the mall and if gas hits 5 bucks we haven't killed enough A-Rabs . Mom , apple pie and regular unleaded for $3.75 a gallon . Hooah .

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Check this thread i made... i think that this thread has to do with part of mine.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I will probably trade in my van and buy a Fred Flinstone car. It runs on feet.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join