It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who really believes in 2012?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Hi folks, I've been interested in 2012 for awhile now. I guess the first time I heard of this concept was back in the 1980s, in connection with Timewave Zero (Terrance McKenna). Since then, of course its become more and more a part of a mainstream awareness, perhaps understandably as the year itself approaches.

Basically, I neither believe nor disbelieve in 2012. It may be hard to explain, but for me such concepts exist in a metaphoric space beyond "true and false." I'm not, at the bottom, really convinced anything will happen. But I'm not really interested in debunking 2012, either -- even if its not "true," it has great value as a metaphor and a snapshot of the current world's collective-subscounscious awareness of change, time cycles, etc. And even if false, I find a lot of the associated reasonaing interesting and compelling in its own right.

My question for you today is, which of you literally believe we will see a major change specifically in 2012? And if you do believe, what was it that made you believe? As I tried to explain above (perhaps unsuccessfully), I'm not asking for the purpose of debunkery -- that really doesn't interest me. I'm more interested in how and why people came to believe a real radical change will manifest in specific connection to the year 2012.

Keep in mind, this question is for the hard-core believers, not the 2012 agnostics or deniers. If you keep an open mind about it or are unsure, that's not what I'm asking about. I'm looking for responses from people who really fervantly believe.

edit on 2/24/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I think all this hype is a result of a misinterpreted calender, and you know how fast wacky theories can become fact on the internet. The earth will complete it's precession, it will be the winter solstice, and our sun will align with the center of the galaxy, and also all of the planets will be lined up I believe. I think the Mayans calender was based on celestial events, and that's why all of these major events are happening on this "Doomsday", it's not just a coincidence. But lots of weird stuff has been happening lately, first animal die offs, then all of the protests and revolutions going on around the world. I'm sure once 2012 rolls around, it'll just be another normal year and another failed apocalyptic theory will fade. If the world does end like some people think will happen, who cares. We could get hit by a bus tomorrow, and our world will end, at least from our point of view. There's my pessimistic view for ya

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

I believe that animal die-offs, earthquakes, solar flares & etc have been occurring at approximately the same rates for thousands (if not billions) of years.

What has changed is our understanding of the uniqueness of particular events and the ability to communicate and speculate, across the planet, in real time.

The changes we are seeing are the seeds of the human race's next step. An interconnectedness that we have never had before. Where region, race, religion and language fade and we can talk now about what just happened 2 minutes ago in Uzbekistan or Paris or Wyoming.

The process is inevitable and the consequences profound!
edit on 24/2/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I think 2012 will be just another year. I don't believe the hype, no matter what movie, book, or History/Discovery channel may say. If i'm wrong? Then i'll be sure to die happy while having a few cocktails with my friends and family. My guess, a big "let-down," like the whole Y2K trainwreck.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I do not believe in 12/12/21 or 12/12/12 whatever... I do not believe that animal die offs, earthquakes, currents weather patters have been happening the same every year as previously stated by a poster. Anyone can look up this information and see that their has been a sudden rise in recent years. It is late so rather then providing sources to this I will just say 'google it' because the facts are there.

I believe we are in a pattern that has happened many, many, many times before, and something is going to happen in the next few years. That could be anywhere from 1-5 years. I truely believe a greater portion of the USA is going to be hit by massive quakes in the near future which will destroy/put under water, and reform the continental USA's current land mass. Whether this is linked to 2012, who knows? But I believe that it WILL happen.

Thank god I live on the Canadian Shield.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by drink2forget

agreed! And if we all die on 12/21/2012 I'll be laughing at all the people who were so consumed with it for so many years that they let it effect their lives.

But I'm curious to hear from any "bunker" type people who are taking this seriously

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
2012 is going to happen, next year.

What will happen in that year remains to be written.

I have no idea.

What ever it is, I have had a happy life so far, and if it is my time to be eaten by a black hole, or to get nuked by a comet hitting my house I can't say I didn't live well.

For some reason I think that I have been preparing for some big event my whole life, and maybe it will happen in 2012, maybe not.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I met John Major Jenkins in 1989. At the time, I had no particular interest in the Mayan calendar. A few years later, '92 I think, I had a rather intense anthropology professor who introduced the whole 2012 thing to my budding consciousness. Around that same time, John was engaged in a rigorous scholastic endeavor: Decoding the Mayan Calendar!

"Maya Cosmogenesis 2012" is based upon my realization, in 1993, that the end-date of the Long Count Calendar in 2012 pinpoints a rare alignment in a vast cycle of time called the precession of the equinoxes. Wanting to establish evidence for this, and to ascertain how and where the ancient skywatchers discovered and mapped this cycle, I devoted myself to an in depth study of Mesoamerican astronomy, cosmology, culture, and ethnography. I sought the answers to key questions, and pieced together- primarily from academic literature - my progressive interpretation of Mesoamerican history and cosmology. The exciting thing to consider is that this knowledge reemerges at a time when we really need it, for the 2012 end-date looms before us.

www.earthportals.com...
A few years later, after reconnecting with John, I somewhat amazed and very impressed with the research he had done on the subject. I haven't read all of his books, But I have read two of them and also lengthy debates between John and Carl Calleman (entertaining) and I've discussed the issue with him. I believe in the 2012 date as significant largely because his research has convinced me that the Maya, as well as other ancient cultures (read "Galactic Alignment", as it delves into Egyptian and Vedic correspondences as well) believed this time significant, and in distinctly resonant, spiritually focused ways. I do give some credence to the notion of "lost wisdom" and have respect for the evidence presented. Of course, his 2012 research is just that, research, and avoids the pitfalls of making unsubstantiated claims. That does leave you to draw your own ultimate conclusions as to what the "significant change" means. Or you can, as I have, remain somewhat open. I don't know what happens, but I do know it is a significant time, or at least that evidence shows that it has been seen as an important time to other, older cultures.

At the same time, it's not like I really care, you know? If you think about it, that's the best attitude to take, and it's a natural one if you've believed that the world we know was coming to an end, for almost two decades! While it's somewhat exciting, it's also just accepted as the way it is. I may be lucky enough to be alive and see for myself or I may die tomorrow. That's kind of why it doesn't matter. It's like a metaphor for life in general. Nothing anyone does matters. Or it's all terribly, awfully important and everything the prelude to hysterical laughter and crying.You chose, right?

I don't care to work myself up anymore, personally. But yeah, I believe in 2012.
edit on 25-2-2011 by joechip because: spelling

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Nah, it's a crock.

The whole Mayan calendar thing has been blown out of all proportion. My take on the idea is this - if they knew that every 26,000 years the positions of the stars reset themselves and this is what they based their calendar on, why make two, why not just use the same one over again?

If we're not here anymore on Dec 22, 2012, you can all laugh at me.

In the idea of the planetary alignment supposedly happening that day, this is an urban legend. As my astrologer friend says "what planetary alignment?". He says there is no planetary alignment, and no alignment with the center of the galaxy etc etc etc that they've been saying will happen that day. nothing, nada, zip.

It's all bupkus.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pastafarian

agreed! And if we all die on 12/21/2012 I'll be laughing at all the people who were so consumed with it for so many years that they let it effect their lives.

But I'm curious to hear from any "bunker" type people who are taking this seriously

Oh lord, you know there are some "bunker," folks out there...stocking up on MRE's and Ammo.
My whole thought behind it is if it's the end of all things, then what good are MRE's and Ammo going to do?
We will look back in 2013 and laugh about this...or until the next Asteroid, prediction, or Historic scare tactic has people shaking in their boots. I'm more frightened about the state of the worlds economy, not a biblical-type disaster or 7th Extinction.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I remember when I first starting looking into 2012, it was about 5 yrs ago. And I cannot lie, I was terrified, it was all doom and gloom, and it actually starting me off to a good start for learning more survival skills. As the years passed, it became more of a conscience things, and became less scary (though I stayed with the survival stuff).

I began to realize that "we" really do not know what will happen, and this is a way to realize someones true potential, since it can go either way. We can either stay with the "doom and gloom", or actually began to see that we may actually have to depend on one another. I dont really need to mention debunkers as they will always be there.

I lean more or less on this being legit, for more then one reason. For one, this has opened the minds of many, and shown that though the time that was predicted, and those who made the prediction are actually quite important 2 ways. We have the ancestral point of view, and we have the scientific more recent point of view.

Though I began to be less concerned with doom, I began to worry again when this became mainstream. I wasn't aware before I heard of this that people have been discussing this in great length many years ago, as I thought this was a "new" discovery. I feel that whether something happens on that date, that year, or that week or not. Our planet IS changing, our people ARE changing, or if we find it more comfortable to blame something else and not a planet that was discovered so long ago. Our times are changing whether we like it or not.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I love the way people just think the 2012 concept is £%*!
but put yourself in a myans "shoe's" or whatever they wore back then
they had to of been tought these things like the solar system and the obvious is mathmatics which without would of been impossible to build ther ziggurat
so something they had eather seen or been "TOUGHT" must of been of significance and importants they didnt make this calender for them it was for us to find study and prepare for
it might be £$*! but i might be truth and if it is truth you wouldent be informed anyway
if you wer told today that 2012 was the end of the world truthfully would you go to work in the morning would you pay taxes noooo
you would find out wer the safest place to be is and run ther fast so dont rely on the goverment to help investigate and link the dots yourself
you'll be half way to the truth right ther !

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Excellent point.... Most Native American groups see life as a circle. Extending that belief to the ancient Mayan calender is certainly not out of the realm of possibilities.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by EDL2011

The govt hasnt been building seed banks and bunkers for nothing. If we were told the truth of the matter, then as you say. Who would continue going to work ect? Imagin the madness that would grip the world. Then we have the crazy types, who would think well if we are all going to die then I may as well even the score, get revenge before it happens.
I read a book by Maurice Cotterell and Adrian Gilbert. `` The Mayan Prophecies `` 10 yrs ago. It really opened my eyes to all this 2012 thing. According to them, they say that the sun will lick the earth? I think it was more like a sword coming from the mouth of a god, the god being the sun. So how could the sun lick the earrth? By a very large CME.
Now the govt are warning us about that very thing. Solar storms flares and CMEs. Just seems a bit strange to me that they are saying the very same thing as the Mayans. So do they know some that we dont? l Wish I knew for sure.

edit on 25-2-2011 by illuminnaughty because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-2-2011 by illuminnaughty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Another thread about doom and gloom.

The planets do not align in 2012. The last alignment of all planets was in 2000 and nothing happened despite all of the books written that claimed doom and gloom.

There is a "galactic alignment" every year. So what. What has that affected?

Seed vaults are common. Every seed company has one. Are people bad for trying to protect the biodiversity of the planet?

The sun licking the Earth. That sounds like yet another New Age hoax. Where is the original Mayan text that came from?

I love the hoax called 2012. I'm surprised that no one is claiming that the disappearance of Hoffa is connected to 2012.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

It is! The southern end of the old Giants stadium points toward the dark rift on the 21st of Dec, 2012. Hoffa was placed there as an offering to Xenu, by the Freemasons, in accordance with Mayan and Hopi lore. Jimmy Hoffa may in fact be the sole reason that Xenu does not swoop down and gobble us all up. Xenu was in favor of organized labor and is currently setting his sights on Wisconsin.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Around 2004 I thought there was going to be something. Now, not so much...

If anything, it could be sort of a man made thing that happens, because of all the hype. That wouldn't be too out of line.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

i believe something major will happen in either 2012 or 2013. i was a big time denier of the whole y2k thing and nothing happened in the year 2000. although not related something huge did happen in 2001, sept 11th. that day changed the world. stuff is gonna happen on a yearly basis, earthquakes, floods, wars etc. etc. and i think something huge is gonna happen soon we are due..

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Just a couple weeks ago, I was on vacation and touring the Mayan ruins of Telum in Cozumel. I was talking with our native guide about it, and his explanation pretty much mirrored what I've seen from my own research. They based their calendar on lifespans and generations, and it was always about cycles and resetting. 2012 is simply the next great "reset" of nine generations and they never felt the need to go any further than that particular cycle, as it was so far in the future for them. Had they still been around today, he has no doubt the following cycles would have been detailed, just that there was no need to do so then.

That said, I'm thinking about going back there in 2012, as they are planning one heck of a party then... (and it's a pretty cool place). I'd love to spend more than a day there.
edit on 25-2-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Of course I believe in 2012. I believe in 2011 and 2013 too. Years on a calendar really don't require our belief.

Is the thread title supposed to say "Who really believes the end of the world as we know it in 2012 B.S.?"

If that is the case then well...um....no.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join