It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possibly as Large as Jupiter: Mystery Heavenly Body Discovered

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Newton’s Law of Universal Gravitation.

csep10.phys.utk.edu...

Another link for good measure:

www.scientificamerican.com...

edit on 25/2/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
hi sorry to go off topic but i am new and cant post a thread and dont think my question really deserves its own thread but its 1am here and i am a smoker and went out for 1 and as usual i gaze up at the stars but tonight there is not 1 single star in the sky above me and yes it is a clear night and no im not blind i am up at this time always and never seen or not seen this before can someone tell me why?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
The discovery of the moons of Pluto allowed for a good estimate of the mass of Pluto to be worked out.

Notice how exoplanet masses are published, yet the planets are not always seen. Chadwickus is pointing out how that can be done.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
A bit OT, but anyone knows where I can find a pic of the solar system updated with the recent discoveries of Sedna, Xena, Eris and any other celestial body that I don't know about?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Ceres could be a scouter. Give it time because when it shows all things change. Enjoy!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hundroid
A bit OT, but anyone knows where I can find a pic of the solar system updated with the recent discoveries of Sedna, Xena, Eris and any other celestial body that I don't know about?

you forgot Ceres![atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/29bfb4f89eed.jpeg[/atsimg]

edit on 2/25/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Well Ceres is the largest object in the Asteroid Belt (the only one round-shaped) and has been discovered in 1801...quite some time ago. Sedna and all the others are more recent discoveries.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

edit on 25-2-2011 by Hundroid because: wrong url

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Hundroid

They never spoke of it in school as a child. Wonder why?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Actually the first time I heard about Ceres it was during the last year of my primary school!

I have to admit that space and science in general have been always my favourite subjects at school and as a spunch I was absorbing any kind of info related to science and misteries. The first non-school books I have read when I was about 10 yo were from C. Berlitz and E. von Daniken...and then you wonder why I am ATS member

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Where's Human Alien? I think we would all love to see what he has to say about this. P.S. this is a load of malarkey.
edit on 25-2-2011 by xM0J0xJ0J0x because: malarkey

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Actually, there have been some much more recent reports in the press about this. Some of you may be aware of these already but Ill post the link here for convenience.

More analysis, other related articles are discussed here

Enjoy...

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Interesting post... Good point on some things people may have missed.

Who knows what else they may find hiding out there... It's a wonderful place.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
SSSeeeeeeeeewww....Is the recent hoopla about this tychee thingy BS?
Not related?
There is either stable orbits becausee the flyby showed a different mass....or there is preturbations due to tychee now?
Im willing to go with whats reasonable, but id like to see it laid out in diagram form or whatever......
First iras- finds what are now 9 galaxies right?
Then in the intervening yrs sedna et al show up....unbidden....as it were....
Now Tychee.....real or another galaxie?
Surely smebody can make it all a little clearer for us idiots....
We CAN read.....just spell it out.....one has to be a barrack room lawyer to figure out these argumeents...after a few pages...

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

The hypothetical (and undiscovered as yet) planet Tyche has nothing to do with the infrared sources described in the 1984 paper. They are all at great distances from the Solar System.

Tyche may or may not exist. If it does exist analysis of the data collected by the WISE may show it.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenFleece

Well I hardly give flags because everything is pure speculation. But all you've done is backed it up with speculation of your own. So what makes you so right & the OP so wrong? We have no concrete evidence.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by vital_revolutionary

[uqote]Its orbit would be thousands of times further from the Sun than the Earth's - which could explain why it has so far remained undiscovered.
Do you think? Sheesh. Why don't they explain that whole sky surveys could detect this object over 2500AU out. That the object is hypothesized to be 50,000AU out. That's way beyond what optical survey telescopes can detect today.

The second link begins with a title than is more sensationlism than anything else.

Later on there is another sensational title with the following buried paragraph:

In late September 2010, WISE ran out of the coolant needed to chill its infrared detectors.

That is followed by more info on why WISE was set into hibernation.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Yessss!! I do remember that it was on the BBC news about 6-7 years ago it was a blue coloured planet I can remember seeing this. ill try and find the news clip.

news.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 25/2/2011 by YoungMind92 because: (no reason given)

Found it straight away might be what you was on about anyway.

edit on 25/2/2011 by YoungMind92 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
So the conclusion was that the object detected by IRAS we are all talking about here is a young galaxy? Or was the conclusion that it was an infrared cirrus?

Speaking of infrared cirruses, wikipedia doesn't have much information. Can somebody with more knowledge elaborate on what an infrared cirrus actually is? thx

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tetsuo

IRAS detected thousands of objects. The paper by Houck et al., in 1984 pointed out 9 of them which could not be correlated with visible objects found in existing sky surveys. Other astronomers, and Houck (with more research), determined that 8 of those objects were distant galaxies and one was an infrared cirrus.

We do not know which of those nine objects were the subject of the MSM interpretation of original Houck report so we don't know if it was a galaxy or the cirrus. We do know that, which ever of those nine objects they were talking about, it was not a planet because none of them were.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join