It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: The Daily Show Tortures a Camel in Madison, WI

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

www.weeklystandard.com

No joke: The Daily Show brought a camel to the protests in Madison the other day, presumably to help make fun of the Cairo/Madison comparisons. As this video shows, the gag didn't turn out so well. Who knew that an animal indigenous to the Middle East couldn't walk on snow and ice in the Midwest? Local firefighters eventually rescued the camel. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that the Daily Show didn't use any footage of the camel in its Tuesday night broadcast.

Update: If I'm not mistaken, it appears that Daily Show correspondent John Oliver walks in front of the camera at one point and urges the man shooting the video to turn it off. Censorship!
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2/23/11 by Ferris.Bueller.II because: Update Quote

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Surprised none of the ardent "The Daily Show" followers have posted this up yet. Why does this not surprise me that there would be no mention of this?

www.weeklystandard.com
edit on 2/23/11 by Ferris.Bueller.II because: Embed Video

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
To me, it doesn't matter which side of the political debate you are on.

This is just plain wrong. PETA is going to be all over this one!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsawyer2
To me, it doesn't matter which side of the political debate you are on.

This is just plain wrong. PETA is going to be all over this one!

No it won't. PETA usually attack the most ridiculous "offenses". They once criticized a Hawaiian baseball player for his love of SPAM. What a joke. PETA has no credibility whatsoever. It's a corporation.

This is shocking however. I thought the Daily Show producers and writers were a lot smarter than this. Did FOX recently buy the show or something? Awful idea.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Americans

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
So the camel's leg gets caught in the gate and someone perceives that as animal torture?

Seems more like someone hates the Daily Show and is twisting a common problem of "working with animals on camera" into something far worse than it is.

+14 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

www.weeklystandard.com

No joke: The Daily Show brought a camel to the protests in Madison the other day, presumably to help make fun of the Cairo/Madison comparisons. As this video shows, the gag didn't turn out so well. Who knew that an animal indigenous to the Middle East couldn't walk on snow and ice in the Midwest?

Update: If I'm not mistaken, it appears that Daily Show correspondent John Oliver walks in front of the camera at one point and urges the man shooting the video to turn it off. Censorship!

Camels are indigenous throughout the east and are often found in icy climates in the Himalayan region...

Manufactured outrage | FAIL

www.loupiote.com...
edit on 2/23/2011 by clay2 baraka because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Stupid - Yes!

Malicious? You know they didn't know the outcome. They thought the camel would be able to walk on the snow... Heck, I would have thought the damn thing could have walked. Wouldn't you think it would have some sort of shoe like a horse?

Do you honestly think they did it on purpose to hurt the camel? Of course they didn't... So they made a bad decision... If you were the producer, would you have shown the video, of your bad decision? Of course you wouldn't..

So... after you use logic, it is nothing more than a mistake.

Those of you being all dramatic, are no better than PETA... Actually your worse.. They do it for profit, you were doing it out of ignorance.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
host.madison.com...

This site has the rest of the video including of the firefighter rescue. Evidently the daily show thought it would be funny.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
animals hind leg is stuck in gate. that causes all the stumbling

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Sort of reminds you of the manufactured rage that prevailed over the left towards Sarah Palin when Representative Gabrielle Giffords got shot in Tucson, AZ, doesn't it? I actually remember hearing people I thought I respected saying Palin targeted Giffords on purpose (over 6 months before the shooting). Makes sense doesn't it?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I don't see torture. It looks like the camel's leg got caught on the gate and he lost his balance. It wouldn't have been funny even if it had gone right. It was pretty lame attempt at a joke actually. But having said that, I don't really see any signs of "torture" here. I think torture would be intentionally inflicting pain on the camel, which does not appear to be happening in that video.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Epic fail OP. Your news source didn't even bother to look into the camel's environment or origins or they would know that camels originated in North America before migrating to Asia and are often found is snowy/icy climates.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Yeah total smear campaign. Just look at the wording...

"John Oliver walks in front of the camera at one point and urges the man shooting the video to turn it off."

He walks PAST the camera. Saying he walks "in front of" implies that he doesn't move from there & is intending to block the shot. "Urges the man..." Implying he is acting out of "urgency" (pressing importance requiring speedy action) when in fact he is speaking in a calm manner.

Total fail.
edit on 23/2/2011 by PinkAndBlack because: of grammatical errors

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

The camel walked away fine. No broken leg, no other noticeable injuries. This isn't torture. Sensationalist headline.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by PETROLCOIN
I don't see torture. It looks like the camel's leg got caught on the gate and he lost his balance. It wouldn't have been funny even if it had gone right. It was pretty lame attempt at a joke actually. But having said that, I don't really see any signs of "torture" here. I think torture would be intentionally inflicting pain on the camel, which does not appear to be happening in that video.

LOL! I have to totally agree here. I was expecting some Camel beating or something. Not some idiots trying to wrestle a camel toe out of a gate! There is no intent to harm this unfortunate animal. Just a stupid idea gone wrong.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by BLKMJK
I was expecting some Camel beating or something.

Yeah that's what I was expecting too. That's typically what I think when I see or hear the word "torture". He got his leg caught, probably panicked, and lost his balance or just went down to avoid hurting himself. A non-story turned into a story with a sensational headline. The camel is fine, no broken leg, no other injuries. Mistakes happen. Everyone move on.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Sort of reminds you of the manufactured rage that prevailed over the left towards Sarah Palin when Representative Gabrielle Giffords got shot in Tucson, AZ, doesn't it? I actually remember hearing people I thought I respected saying Palin targeted Giffords on purpose (over 6 months before the shooting). Makes sense doesn't it?

Oh yeah. This is EXACTLY like the shooting in AZ.

It is a shame this many people had to die for some "comedy" skit. Comedy Central should be outlawed.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia

Oh yeah. This is EXACTLY like the shooting in AZ.

It is a shame this many people had to die for some "comedy" skit. Comedy Central should be outlawed.

Er... what skit are you referring to? & yes I agree that *Viacom should be destroyed...

*Atom Entertainment
AddictingGames
Atom.com
Shockwave
BET Networks
BET
BET Event Productions
BET Gospel
BET Hip Hop
BET International
BET Mobile
BET Pictures
Centric
CMT
CMT Loaded
CMT Mobile
CMT On Demand
CMT Pure Country
CMT Radio
Colors
Comedy Central
Jokes.com
GameTrailers
GT Marketplace
GoCityKids
Logo
365gay.com
AfterEllen.com
AfterElton.com
MTV Networks
MTV
MTV Books
MTV Hits
MTV Jams
MTV2
MTVN International
Flux
Game One
Lazona.com
MTV Boombox
MTV OVERDRIVE
MTV Revolution
QOOB
TMF (The Music Factory)
Tr3s: MTV, Musica y Mas
VIVA
mtvU
mtvU.com
RateMyProfessors.com
Neopets
Nick at Nite
Nick Jr.
Nickelodeon
The Click
Nick Arcade
Nick GAS
Nickelodeon Consumer Products
Nicktoons Network
TeenNick
Palladia
ParentsConnect
Quizilla
Rhapsody
Spike TV
Spike Filmed Entertainment
TV Land
VH1
VH1 Classic
VHUno
Vspot
Paramount Pictures Corporation
MTV Films
Nickelodeon Movies
Paramount Home Entertainment
Paramount Pictures
Paramount Vantage
EPIX
TheGodfather.com
iCarly.com
TheLastAirbenderMovie.com
PetPetPark.com
SceneIt.com
SouthParkStudios.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by PinkAndBlack
Er... what skit are you referring to?

It was sarcasm because Ferris.Bueller.II compared the shooting in Arizona to this story.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join