It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspicuous Consumption and Arrogance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Conspicuous Consumption

lavish spending on goods and services acquired mainly for the purpose of displaying income or wealth. In the mind of a conspicuous consumer, such display serves as a means of attaining or maintaining social status.

In the modern Western Society of today, a majority of us enjoy a standard of living in which our basic human requirements are met easily. Although this is becoming harder each day for more and more people, I think it's safe to say the we are blessed in many ways. For the most part we do not have to struggle to survive. Over time, we can become complacent and forget that for many others in this world such a life is not a reality; only concerning ourselves with luxury, and instant gratification.

Introduce into this population a system in which the various trades/ talents of Man become automated functions of corporate entities, and you take away a key part of the Human identity....Their contribution to humanity and community through their various trades and talents. Compound that with a monetary system in which the trade of good and services is obsolete, instead all trade is through a form of "money", and you have a society in which the "money" dictates the value of these goods and services.

Now that the Human identity is no longer associated with our individual talents, goods or services, in my opinion "money" becomes the key factor in portraying one's individual identity. Herein creating a society in which the acquisition of wealth and goods are indicators of status and importance; perpetuating the seperation of people into classes, and always funneling wealth and goods to those who have, while the have-nots starve. Even though there is enough resources to cover the basic human needs of everyone on this planet.

In this lies the heart of the matter. The value of one’s abilities, order in the “food-chain” and even the value of life itself is based on materialistic social order. Those without material possessions of value, or the “monies” to acquire such items, are viewed as lesser beings than those who do have these resources. This can give way to indevious consumption, whereas wealth is used to induce envy from those around us.

Let’s be honest here. Many people around us, and possibly many of us, identify themselves by their material possessions and order in the social food-chain. Our culture does not value character or compassion for other’s conditions. We value goods, wealth and status. We march to the beat of capitalistic dogma, rather than act on the cries of help from our fellow man, common sense, and what we all know instinctively as right and moral. Plain and simple, we would rather buy that new big screen TV than help our neighbors, or people in other nations, feed themselves or provide basic needs. All in the name of materialistic self-gratification and bragging rights of status.

I understand that many nations spend large amounts of money and resources on humanitarian aid, but many times the resources are swept into the folds of corrupt governments. These resources are not given to the people indiscriminatly, but to those who can control and/or profit from genorosity while the people still starve. This is also an all-to-often excuse we use to justify why we do not lend more of a helping hand.

This way of living is bound to fail. We cannot sustain a system of living that protects the materialistic paradigm in which the value of life is trumped by the value of profit....for whatever purpose. We cannot trust that the “generosity” of corrupt governments will fulfill the needs of all the worlds citizens. It is up to the individual to value their neighbor and to realize that status, possessions and money do not make us who we are, and only the strong character of Man and value of life itself can bring man from the brink of it’s self-created demise.

I believe that we cannot change our leadership, our corrupt governments, or destiny of Man itself until we are willing to change our habits and unreasonable expectations of our time on Earth. Wealth and possessions do not make the Man.

Arrogance

offensive display of superiority or self-importance; overbearing pride.

I would also like to touch on the subject of arrogance. Simply defined as an attitude of superiority, arrogance is, in part, bred by and perpetuates conspicuous consumption. Of course it is not solely exclusive, but it does go hand in hand.

It has become second nature to believe in, and sometimes act upon our imagined delusions that other people are somehow inferior. Even those of us who have nothing to necessarily brag about, we find solace in our innate ability to alienate those around us with unbridled, nose-in-the-air arrogance.

Arrogance also coincides with power. The more “power” one has, be it a job or what not, the level of arrogance rises. Of course, this does not apply to all cases but it can easily be seen in any of our workplaces today.

I will not go into this subject too much as I believe we all know the cocky attitude I speak of. Let me just say that no one person is better than the other. The sooner we learn that the easier it will be to live together.

en.wikipedia.org...

dictionary.reference.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I believe both of these bad habits will be put to rest very, very soon now....Good Post...S&F

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

Thanks! Could you possibly elaborate a bit on why you think these bad habits will come to an end soon? I think most of us have a similar theory.

edit on 22-2-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: spellin's

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I am glad someone noticed. There is a certain element to having "Class" that goes beyond wealth alone.
It is a quality of state of mind and presentation. Good Post.

S&F

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
All of this in a nutshell = VANITY

Vanity has been consuming mankind for centuries. However, in the last century, I don't think anyone can deny the level of vanity was far more than any other time. With the economies of some countries slowing dramatically, I believe humility will rise to levels not seen since the Great Depression. Lack of money will humble a person very quickly and maybe that is what is needed in this world.

Good Thread

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I've never really felt that I fit in with the whole consumer thing although obviously my standard of living and the number of possessions I have is still at a ridiculously high level compared to the truly poverty stricken in many countries (the fact that I can type a reply to you on my PC proves that) I just don't get any satisfaction from buying things.

I don't hanker after the next fashionable gadget or car or anything like that,in fact usually the more stuff I have around me the worse I feel, like I am being weighed down with all of the separate little attachments to meaningless things. I could probably move house right now with just a suitcase, I do have other things (TV etc) but I wouldn't think twice about leaving them behind if something new and exciting beckoned.

edit on 23-2-2011 by davespanners because: grammar

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAnuraOne

Vanity is a very good term to use and you are correct that the lack of material possessions would make us all a bit more humble. As a previous post stated, we will probably see that come to fruition sooner than we think.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Arrogance is the word to describe Mr. Obama and his cronies. I'm ashamed he heads our country.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Do you think that most Americans would be able to just leave their belongings behind for a new, different form of societal lifestyle? I'm not very optimistic about that. I think there would be many that would not go without a fight. They are too dependent on their "stuff".

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by dillweed

Hey there dillweed!

Although I agree with what you said, I hope you realize this is not limited to just one man or administration. The same could be said about both sides of the aisle, and not just the figurehead in place now.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Awesome thread friend!

I would applaud your efforts as this is a favorite subject of mine, but I'm no mod...
Here's to a good flag and star...
Also, read my [WRAP] on why I hate what money has done to this society.
It goes hand in hand with your thoughts!

Great thread.
edit on 23-2-2011 by havok because: spelling....

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Thanks havok.

I read your WRAP submission and I agree we are the same page. Do you have any ideas on what could lead us into a change of this lifestyle?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247I know, they all make my blood boil. But, this guy's arrogance is without precedent. He's has yet to formally SPEAK to six cabinet secretaries! He has an agenda that scares the sh*t outta' me, and he just smiles and talks, but says nothing. The media have given him a free ride and they should be charged with treason.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dillweed

Every president in my lifetime has had an agenda that scares me. The arrogance of the last three presidents have taken the cake, for sure. I just wanted to convey the thought that it goes much deeper than Obama or any president. This is a cultural/society issue.

new topics

top topics

join