It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. mulling defence plan for space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Hi everyone! I'll apologize now if this is already being talked about on another thread, but couldn't find anything on it, so I'm starting this one! Ran across this article today when I came home from work.

www.cbc.ca...

Basically the US military figures its satellites need protection from enemies and could be weaponized. There is quite a few interesting quotes in this article that are kind of puzzling to me tho. I think underneath some of statements made by Chilton, there may be something else or maybe some other enemy he is referring too. Here are a few examples.

A new military strategy for space, as mapped out by the Pentagon, calls for greater co-operation with other nations on space-based programs to improve the ability to deter enemies.

It's prudent to anticipate that, at this point, we will not go into a future conflict with a sophisticated adversary and not expect to be challenged in the space domain," Chilton told The Associated Press in an interview. "We need to be thinking about how we would go into future conflicts and make sure that we un-level [that] battlefield in our favour.

The strategy offers little detail about offensive operations in space. But defence officials say that China, Iran and others have demonstrated their abilities to take action in space.

The problem I have with this story is this.
1. The US and Russia have been going to space for how long now? 50 or 60 years? Although they've had their differences in the past and the odd heat up towards war, they have always for the most part worked side by side. Each side helping out the other. How is it the US can share the ISS with all these nations, and figure they need to weaponize space to protect against these same nations? They mention China and Iran as possible enemies, but come on really now! If they were really that worried about it, they could take out anyone's satellites in a heart beat. And Iran, well.....gimme a break already.

2. I think this whole fear mongering about Russia is ridiculous. It's being used so they can have a reason to weaponize space. My question to this is: Is there some other enemy "out there" that they are preparing for? The Russians and the Americans. I know it may sound far-fetched, but who really knows right? There is so much weird stuff going on nowadays, it's difficult to really know what's going on up there. With NASA focusing on interplanetary missions now, ISS missions will be flown by the Russians. Private companies will be offering space tourism, but really, what are they gonna look at?? A bunch of armed satellites pointed at everyone? And a bunch of space junk they got to dodge to get up there?

This all sounds very hokey pokey to me, so what do you guys think? Is there something going on here we need to be paying attention to?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
i don't believe weaponizing space is a good idea. setting aside the potential risk to life from crazies on earth. imagine half the satellites in orbit being blasted into pieces....all that debris, we'd be stuck here for decades if not hundreds of years while we either wait for the debris to collect in one mass or figure out a way to capture it. then again...maybe that's the plan.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Looks like Wernher Von Braun was right in his prediction in that the main goal of the elitists was to weaponize space. Once that happens they have complete control over everything.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
This is old news.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by eArth33lr

Both the U.S. and Soviet space programs grew out of technology that was first designed to launch a warhead, the peaceful and military uses of space have been intertwined since the beginning.

As more countries gain easier access to earth orbit anyone with a vested interest in space is going to have to confront the inevitable challenges of how to defend those assets, its not only the
U.S.

Lastly, both Russia and the west still train to combat one another. There is a reason that amidst the economic collapse of the Soviet Union, Russia specifically chose to maintain a hugely expensive nuclear arsenal at the expense of the remainder of their military.

The cold war may be over but somebody forgot to tell Russia they are no longer a superpower.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by eArth33lr

Interesting subject.

Noam Chomsky - The Militarization of Science and Space 1/8

Chomsky gives a fascinating overview of the topic.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I like Chomsky too. Ive read a few of his articles. Hard to sit thru his vids tho, but will definitely watch this tonite before bed!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Thanks for the info! I figured something like that existed. Question still is tho, what's really going on up there? And what is this article really indicating?

new topics

top topics

join