It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Judaism / What is a Jew?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I'd like to hear from Jews what defines them? I always thought a Jew is a person who believes in Judaism, but I've learned that this isn't correct. I'm confused now. Is there a commonly accepted definition? Can anybody become a Jew? Is it even polite to call somebody a Jew, or is there a better term?

I looked at this link and got even more confused:

www.jewfaq.org...

Please no hate posts!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
They are the persecuted because of their original monotheistic belief thousands of years ago.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I"m not too sure either. Since you are considered jewish if your mother was a jew. It doesn't matter if you're an atheist or not.

Apparently it isn't polite to use the word jew anymore.

Type Jew into google and you'll probably see the only search results where google puts their own apology in the first link. lol

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
according to Islam

they have some thing unique that god has given them.

they were at first just one clan (sons of Israel)*

Isa is one their greatest messengers . they were help by him after they believe in the only on god.

they was pursued by Pharon ( the king of Egypt at that time ) Isa opened Nile by

help of god and they crossed it. as Isa was going to Sina mountain to praise god and get

some divine rules (divine book) told his clan : I will come back after 30 days.

but when he went it took 40 days.

after 30th day doubt grew in their heart. Sameri took people's gold and built a cow.

as he came back and saw that he was very angry and they expressed REPENTANCE.

and it was accepted by the God.

*(Israel is epithet of one of god messengers -- Isac)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllIsOne
I'd like to hear from Jews what defines them? I always thought a Jew is a person who believes in Judaism, but I've learned that this isn't correct. I'm confused now. Is there a commonly accepted definition? Can anybody become a Jew? Is it even polite to call somebody a Jew, or is there a better term?

I looked at this link and got even more confused:

www.jewfaq.org...

Please no hate posts!

Here's how to put it in perspective, I'm a Jew but I'm not Jewish.

Generally they tend to go hand in hand, but a Jew is a member of a race of peoples. Where as someone who is Jewish is a professed follower of Judaism.

Does that help? Trust me I've had to explain this point to many, many people, it's a pretty common misconception so don't feel too bad about it.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Awolscout

Thanks for your post. Just to clear any confusion: besides the African, Caucasian, and Asian race there is now a Jew race?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Thanks for your post. Just to clear any confusion: besides the African, Caucasian, and Asian race there is now a Jew race?

There has always been a race. African, Caucasian, and Asian aren't anything. They're not even really ethnicities.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Jews consider anyone born of a Jewish mother to be a Jew, even if the person is an atheist, Satanist, Mormon, they are always a Jew. And Israel has a thing called the Grandfather clause, that says if any of your grandfather's is a Jew, you can move to Israel as a citizen.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awolscout

There has always been a race. African, Caucasian, and Asian aren't anything. They're not even really ethnicities.

Sorry, but you totally lost me there. Can you clarify? What is a race in your opinion?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by hmdphantom
according to Islam

they have some thing unique that god has given them.

they were at first just one clan (sons of Israel)*

Isa is one their greatest messengers . they were help by him after they believe in the only on god.

they was pursued by Pharon ( the king of Egypt at that time ) Isa opened Nile by

help of god and they crossed it. as Isa was going to Sina mountain to praise god and get

some divine rules (divine book) told his clan : I will come back after 30 days.

but when he went it took 40 days.

after 30th day doubt grew in their heart. Sameri took people's gold and built a cow.

as he came back and saw that he was very angry and they expressed REPENTANCE.

and it was accepted by the God.

*(Israel is epithet of one of god messengers -- Isac)

Muhammad mixed everything up, and the Koran is a whole load of horse crap don't take thing so literally. If your mother is a Jew you are a Jew. Oh, also I am an orthodox Jew.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Immortalman

You might call yourself a Jew, but you're not a Mensch. Not as long as you spew that venom.

Peace be upon you.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Awolscout

Sorry, but you totally lost me there. Can you clarify? What is a race in your opinion?

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm an expert on racial definitions but I've always felt that a race is more like a group of people with similar traits in culture, appearance etc. I just viewed as being a whole lot more than most people feel. Does that make more sense?

top topics

join