It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four American hostages killed by Somali pirates

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Four American hostages killed by Somali pirates

www.msnbc.msn.com

Four Americans captured by Somali pirates while sailing in the Indian Ocean have been shot and killed, NBC News reported Tuesday.

The two couples, Phyllis Macay, 59, and Robert Riggle, 67, of Seattle, and the yacht's owners Jean and Scott Adam of California were on an around-the-world sailing trip when they were captured by pirates Friday.

Military officials told NBC News that about 1 a.m. ET shots were heard aboard the yacht, called Quest. Negotiations had been under way with the pirates at the time.

The officials said U.S. military personnel boarded the yacht and discovered all fo
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
What to do with these people? I think enoughs enough already. They probably shouldn't have been where they were but this is way out of hand. They currently have 29 boats and 660 crew members being held hostage. Why isn't someone doing something to rescue these people? I would think the UN would be addressing the issue and maybe they are but not fast enough. I wonder out of the 660 hostages how many are still alive. Someone needs to take action like yesterday.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

Of course any action will risk the lives of those hostages in captivity. But it has reached critical mass....something needs to be done to end it. Where is Teddy Roosevelt when we need him?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Tragic, but I often wonder, do these Americans have any clue about what is going on out there in the ocean?? I have 2 uncles who often took large size boats into international waters, this was many years ago before all this stuff started happening, and they told me they are always armed to the teeth out there, with shotguns, rifles, etc. Wonder if these people were. For you technology folks, will a small john boat even be picked up on radar? Heard one story from my uncle how a boat at night started approaching way to close to them, so they fired a few shots in the air, boat quickly turned around. But again this was in the early 90's, would be foolish to sail out without the proper tools to get you back safely in this day in age, or at least give you a good chance too.

Deebo

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Here is how to end it.

Let's stay the hell away from Somalia, and only go remotely close at our own risk.

This is just like the story of the guy who wandered into the ghetto.

It's called "Enter at your own risk".

Especially now after years of repeated coverage of the piracy threat. There is just no way you could wander into that zone without knowing you are risking everything.

And we have no right to retaliate against Somalia for this. We are the invaders. That's their land and their coastline. We need to just stay the hell away and leave them alone. There's a novel solution.

Too bad that solution always gets ignored!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
these clowns actually have alot of sympathizers. people think that since they are soo poor we need to let them play this little hostage game. I say go in the area and kill every last one of them.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
reply to post by mtnshredder

Of course any action will risk the lives of those hostages in captivity. But it has reached critical mass....something needs to be done to end it. Where is Teddy Roosevelt when we need him?

The Teddy Roosevelt that invaded Cuba over totally fabricated charges of an "attack on the Maine" which was later proven to almost certainly have been an ACCIDENTAL explosion in the magazine compartment??

The same Cuba that was propped up into a puppet regime controlled loosely by the US interests which directly caused the Cuban revolution which put Castro into power??

Let's not even get into the Philippines. Let's not even bother to talk about what happened in Panama. Let's ignore the fact this guy was DEMANDING that we intervene in World War One in 1914, two whole years before the Lusitania fallaciously pulled us into the war.

The man was a complete war monger, and a tyrant.

You do realize that by invading Somalia we would just INCREASE the death toll, INCREASE our national debt, INCREASE the amount of US Soldiers in body bags, and INCREASE all of our problems.

An invasion of Somalia is not even remotely logical or rational or affordable. It's not even on the table...
edit on 22-2-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan
these clowns actually have alot of sympathizers. people think that since they are soo poor we need to let them play this little hostage game. I say go in the area and kill every last one of them.

We steal their fish to be sold in gourmet restaurants, while they sit and starve. And dump toxic waste in their waters. Id be pretty pissed too. Not saying I agree with what they are doing, but you have to expect some kind of reaction.

Deebo

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
"Here is how to end it.

Let's stay the hell away from Somalia, and only go remotely close at our own risk.

This is just like the story of the guy who wandered into the ghetto.

It's called "Enter at your own risk".

Especially now after years of repeated coverage of the piracy threat. There is just no way you could wander into that zone without knowing you are risking everything.

And we have no right to retaliate against Somalia for this. We are the invaders. That's their land and their coastline. We need to just stay the hell away and leave them alone. There's a novel solution.

Too bad that solution always gets ignored!"

I disagree.
If you are in "their waters of property I would agree. If you are in International waters then you are NOT in "their area". If you are on their land or waters then yes we are unwelcome but if they are coming into International waters then they are wrong. Sometimes the bad guys venture outside the "getto" to do damage.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---
WINGSFAN: You are absolutely right. End this problem with extreme predjudice.

Maybe a team of Navy SEALS in disguise on a yacht sail around till they get attacked.....SURPRISE!!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Somalia plus US military involvement does not end well, that country is a hotbed for insurgent groups and that would be a mess of an operation. I have nothing against our boy's and girl's in green but I would not want them to go into that place for a second time. The first granted a lot of bureaucratic BS stopped them from doing any real damage, but there is no true identifiable threat (regarding leadership) and you are asking for a quagmire doing that. Now how do we answer this provocation? That is a damn good question and one that I am not sure of at the moment.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan

Seriously wipe that foam off your mouth.

Media propaganda turned you into a cold blooded imperialistic killer because you allowed them to control your emotions.

We have NO RIGHT to invade Somalia. None!

You will only bring about the deaths of many innocent bystanders AND AMERICAN BLOOD WILL SPILL.

You must love watching Americans die for nothing....I don't.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Golithion
Now how do we answer this provocation? That is a damn good question and one that I am not sure of at the moment.

Let's just stay the hell out of their region. Period.

If it wasn't for our meddling, and the UN and European and Middle Eastern nations' meddling, Somalia wouldn't be the garbage heap that it is today.

We played a major role in ruining that place.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I 100% agree with you any of you want to understand read the true account of BLACKHAWK DOWN. It is stunning really, there is no better way to get a people fired up then to invade their homeland. If we go in there it is bad news for all involved.www.amazon.com...=pd_sim_b_2

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
well my sympathizer comment has been proven rather well already. I'm sorry for all thier hardships, and these people really should of known better then to go in those waters. but there has to be an end to this nonsense. at least the russians know how to handle em.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Killing people vengefully doesn't solve anything. It keeps the circle of murder going.

Also, those responsible for this action are captured.

Why would invading them make them not poor anymore?

Oh because if we genocide them, they won't be poor anymore.
Then they won't bother us.

I get it.

"There are many men with many problems. Get rid of the men, get rid of the problem."
Joseph Stalin

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
We are the invaders. That's their land and their coastline. We need to just stay the hell away and leave them alone. There's a novel solution.

Too bad that solution always gets ignored!

You're kidding right? These guys are hardly modern day Robin Hoods defending their coastline. They are well tooled up gangsters committing crimes in international waters. What we need are small decoy yachts with enough munitions to blow them out the water at first approach. I guess that would be against maritime law though...
edit on 22-2-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Crimes committed by individual criminals does not justify a land invasion of a nation.

Breaking Maritime laws is not justified because the other guy broke them first.

There are solutions to this problem, but encouraging more death and destruction is NOT the solution.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I hope the land invasion remarks are not pointed at me as I never insisted such a thing. I'm just saying shake em down enough on the waters as to make them really think twice about doing this again.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Has nothing to do with invasion......These people commit these crimes in international waters....

We know the ports that harbor these pirates and sympathize with them...........

You go in there and wipe the lot of them out and kill anyone that has anything to do with em......

And i guarantee you, that the people there, the next time someone decides to be a pirate, they will take care of them themselves.......

You dont deal with people like this with kid gloves............

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Ok here is a basic non-violent solution that actually makes sense.

# 1) Pirates are only doing this because it is PROFITABLE.

# 2) We all know Big Corporations are willing to pay 1-2 million $ Ransom to save a Cargo Ship + Crew + Cargo worth over 200million $.

Maybe we have to stop people from paying these ransoms?

Isn't paying the ransom just giving incentive to keep it going?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join