It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four American hostages killed by Somali pirates

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

What do you mean we need to stay away?
This is a International problem not just an American issue and I think most have been captured in International waters but not 100% sure, I'll try and check that out. There's actually been very few American's captured. This is why the UN needs to deal with this ASAP. These are innocent people from all over the world and who knows how many are even still alive. It will not stop until someone puts their foot down and ends it. Something needs to be done.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
But it didn't solve the problem of "Somalian Piracy" at all did it?

Only because unfortunately this is an exception rather than the rule, look at the statistics. It's like you floss your teeth once a month, then complain to your dentist that flossing doesn't do much for cleanliness of your oral cavity.

That's what I am trying to say here. These are not solutions. They are band-aids. Just cover the problem up for a little while, yet it festers underneath and gets worse over time.

I quite disagree. If applied methodically, this will reduce the number of assailants, their arms and their vessels, to the point that they will be much less effective in what they do.
edit on 22-2-2011 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-2-2011 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocky Black
reply to post by Golf66

Thats what I'm saying.

Hey look a boat full of somali's is coming our way.

Get the binoculars. Yup its them. ok get my 3006 and my box of home made ammo.

Now set up position prone on the bow. One clip in the bow. And the rest in the front windshield. Now if the boat keeps heading in my direction I turn the other direction and call a mayday and lay down massive amounts of fire until evaded or captured. If captured. Well I would eat lead first by my own hand.

The problem is with this strategy is the same as the one we have in the US with gun ownership and self defense. While one can own a firearm in the US and has the right of self defense every little ass berg and city has their own spin on the issue with their sometimes oppressive regulations or laws that virtually nullify those rights.

While on the high seas a ship’s Captain is a virtual god with almost unlimited rights in arming and defending his ship and crew all the little ports and canals with which he does business restrict entry is you have armaments on the ship.

The only way I could see around this issue is to have a launchable small craft that stayed out of the territorial waters onto which one could disembark the security force with their weapons while you conduct business.

Also, with regard to canals one could preposition a mother ship type vessel at the point of entry and exit to do the same.

This would cost them a lot of cash though - I think a lot less than a ransom would cost along with the pay-outs to families for the failure to keep their crews safe but then again I guess that's why I'm no international shipping mogul.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I find it interesting that our government doesn't do more about this sort of thing.
Obama won't speak onLi bya and no doubt will refrain from speaking on this as well, but look, someone somewhere other than the US needs help, heres a check. Kill these animals where found, quickly and with great prejudice............we kill others for less, why are these maggots so special?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I'm wondering when the world is going to get together and do something about the Pirates? Not sure what the deal is there. I mean is it because Somalia won't cooperate? It can't be that hard to infiltrate a bunch of pirates in modern days. After this incident I will be surprised if they don't begin a policy of shoot first ask questions later when dealing with them. It's obvious that they can't be trusted.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom28804
I mean is it because Somalia won't cooperate?

It's not that somalia won't cooperate, but the problem is there is no one to 'cooperate' with. The country is run by various militias with a constant civil war taking place.

US learned it's lesson in Mogadishu, it's literally a black hole on this planet.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by forklift

Isn't there currently a coalition of like almost every country imaginable in the Gulf of Aden just to combat piracy?

I guess the cooperation thing doesn't make sense to me, as there seems to be plenty of cooperation of the worlds nations in this. Piracy effects everyone not just some of the world. This is one of the largest shipping lanes in the world that is being targeted by the Pirates.

The point I am making is that I am a bit unclear on the cooperation you refer to.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom28804

There is NO central government in Somalia. It is literally a tribal like conglomeration that only cooperates with each other if it pays well to the leaders of those groups!

Zindo

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I presume these guys will be tried in a Federal court? Does the Fed court still hand out the death penalty?? (I'm not in the US....)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The US was monitoring this hijacked vessel and after the pirates killed the hostages, we only killed 2 and captured 13?

They should have annihilated the pirate ship with every ordinance at the navy's disposal.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

The pirates sail out to 1500 miles from Somalia, all the way to India.

We have to go in there and make such an example that they will be struck with such fear and awe that they will never ever touch another American vessel.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Oh right... that is exactly the same !

Ever hear of Baitcar? Well I think a Baitboat would work.... only instead of a Killswitch to cut the engine off, a Killswitch to blow the boat up.

As for profitable, how profitable was it to murder 4 Americans in a boat? Pretty sure they didn't have dollar signs plastered over their heads when they were captured...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
Have you ever seen the TV show Bait Car? The plant a car in the 'ghetto' and wait for someone to try to steal it, when that happens the police swarm in and arrest the would be thief for grand theft.

Oh ffs... lmao, I see I was not the only one to think of Baitcar... Damn..

Can't I have a unique thought for once

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf
As for profitable, how profitable was it to murder 4 Americans in a boat? Pretty sure they didn't have dollar signs plastered over their heads when they were captured...

It might have had more to do with the bibles they were carrying for distribution.

Just a possibility.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Well, lets think for a moment. If we can eliminate these pirates as they pop up to do their deeds, eventually there will be A. Fewer mouths to feed at home and B. Someone, somewhere in that sinkhole country will figure out that being a pirate is a very short, one way trip to die. Lets do it! We can't let this crap keep going forever. I applaud what the Russians did, and wish we had the stones to do the exact same thing.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
makes me wonder why the pirates shot those hostages.

did they try to plea bargain with the US ships that were following them? " we let the hostages go , you let us go?" did the Americans refuse?

I just get the feeling we're not getting the whole story here

p.s ultimately to deal with this problem your talking about a land incursion into somalia & embarking on a nation building mission. Unlikely to have much support in the corridors of power at this stage. NATO forces and particularly america are stretched to the limit right now.

edit on 22-2-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Civilians enter the territory at their own risk and sadly some will die. The US military should not react in these cases. Commercial ships navigate the territory and should employ their own mercemaries for protection. Some will die - that's the cost of doing business. End of problem. Next.....

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by venividivici
Civilians enter the territory at their own risk and sadly some will die. The US military should not react in these cases. Commercial ships navigate the territory and should employ their own mercemaries for protection. Some will die - that's the cost of doing business. End of problem. Next.....

And why shouldn't the US military (or other militaries, for that matter) intervene?

The only good pirate is the one face down in the water full of lead. No trial, no lawyer.

But I agree with one of the previous posters, that you are in idiot sailing in this area of the world.
edit on 22-2-2011 by Darkrunner because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner
But I agree with one of the previous posters, that you are in idiot sailing in this area of the world.

I was listening to some show that had an expert on High Seas Pirates.

He said -- this is nothing new. Pirates have always existed on the High Seas.

We are in the information age. Many things that have always existed - - we never knew about - - we are now hearing about.

But due to modernization - - detection devices - - and armed cargo ships - - - the pirates had to adapt - - and find new targets.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I don't understand why people continue to sail/motor/yacht anywhere near the Somali coast. People are constantly convinced that "those kinds of things only happen to OTHER people."

I was watching "I Shouldn't Have Survived" or whatever it's called and I'm constantly amazed by the stupidity of people. On an episode I watched today, a guy decided to put his small, hand held GPS into his glove box rather than take it with him as he left to go hiking in the Australian outback! His reasoning was, "I'm not going to need it." Then, when he gets lost, instead of staying put, he spends six days walking all round the outback, breaking the first and sacred law of getting lost, which is "Stay where you are."

I feel horribly that those four people were murdered.

But I'll tell you what: I wouldn't go anywhere near the Somali coast.

I value my life too much.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join