It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four American hostages killed by Somali pirates

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

You don't have to be anywhere near the Somali coast. They hijack ships all the way out to India's waters.

Either NATO/US needs to go in, NATO isn't remotely overstretched, or we contract PMCs to go in.

Regardless, an example has to be made.

200 years ago, the Founding Fathers Thomas Jefferson and James Madison of the US had zero tolerance for piracy. We sent ships back then all the way to Tripoli and bombarded and raided it with US Marines until their pirates agreed to stop going after our ships.

If we could do it in 1801, we can do it now.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I agree that action needs to be taken.

I can't believe we haven't bombed the crap out of these rogue groups along the coast---well, years ago.

There are martime laws in place about piracy, but beyond that, the killing of innocent people calls for some serious measures.

Why is the piracy continuing?

Because no one has done a dam* thing about it.

It's almost like giving them carte blanc permission to continue.

Abuse--in any situation--never ceases by a perpetrator until he is made to stop.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Pirate killings of four Americans escalates crisis

LOS ANGELES — Scott and Jean Adam set sail in late 2004 on a mariner's dream adventure, seeing the world from the deck of their 58-foot sloop and laying anchor in exotic, remote ports.

They had a custom-made yacht called the Quest, and all the charts, satellite phones, and high-tech navigation expected of modern seafarers. Yet they were propelled by an even deeper spiritual zeal — the same one that had prompted Scott Adam, 70, to leave his work behind the cameras of Hollywood for the ministry 15 years earlier.

"We seek fertile ground for the Word and homes for our Bibles," the couple wrote on a website where, like in captain logs of old, they documented their voyages and their mission to spread Christianity through distribution of printed Bibles.

These four peaceful people did not have to be killed this way. My condolences are with them...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

This has been the norm for YEARS yet boats continue to venture into troubled waters and everyone is shocked by the consequences. Somalia is the very definition of anarchy, the "rules" do not apply there and yet these folks thought it was a good idea to sail a yacht full of bibles and good intentions into that area. It is tragic in every way but we must all take responsibility for our actions, it wasn't a good idea to sail there, period.
If I am going to see a play on Broadway I probably won't take a shortcut thru the South Bronx, even with a bodyguard and bullet proof windows.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

There's no safe zone anymore. There's no safe route.

They hijack ships 1500 miles out. They threaten much of the Indian Ocean.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
It's high time to stop this kind of things, may be every countries shoukd tackle this problem together,we need a peace living condition.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Ok here is a basic non-violent solution that actually makes sense.

Anyone that pokes you in the eye should always expect a rap in the mouth. If you don't respond in kind the aggressor will always have, and use, the upper hand.

/TOA

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Something is a miss in this story. Somalis are extremly poor which is why they started being Pirates in the first place.

Their scared and they want to feed their families. Violence is what it comes down to here due to the lack of resources in their country.

Sounds like it could be a typical case of friendly fire that killed these people.

I feel pretty confident that at least some of those 15 Somalis are gonna have totally different stories as to what actually went down that fateful day.

Sad.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

I'm sorry. But your logic is skewed.

There is absolutely no justification for killing innocent people, no matter how poor one is. In every moment of our lives, we are at choice. We are at choice to choose a right livliehood or to rob and kill people who mean us no harm.

Trying to justify these murderer's actions is unfathomable to me.

Making up your own story about what or what did not happen on that boat is very weak. The story is clear: Those pirates overtook a boat. When they were threatened by a US ship, they unjusitifiably killed these people because they are murderers, without any values or moral code.

They will be tried in a court of law.

Rather than supporting the murderers and making excuses for them, you should be praying to God for a more peaceful world. And you should support the laws that will punish and imprison them for their horrible deeds.

End of story.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by iLoGiCViZiOnS
Something is a miss in this story. Somalis are extremly poor which is why they started being Pirates in the first place.

Their scared and they want to feed their families. Violence is what it comes down to here due to the lack of resources in their country.

Sounds like it could be a typical case of friendly fire that killed these people.

I feel pretty confident that at least some of those 15 Somalis are gonna have totally different stories as to what actually went down that fateful day.

Sad.

Are you an idiot? Friendly fire?

"Oh they're so poor, they have to hijack boats and kill people to survive."

Don't ever post on these forums again unless you have something halfway intelligent to say.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
reply to post by MRuss

You don't have to be anywhere near the Somali coast. They hijack ships all the way out to India's waters.

Either NATO/US needs to go in, NATO isn't remotely overstretched, or we contract PMCs to go in.

Regardless, an example has to be made.

200 years ago, the Founding Fathers Thomas Jefferson and James Madison of the US had zero tolerance for piracy. We sent ships back then all the way to Tripoli and bombarded and raided it with US Marines until their pirates agreed to stop going after our ships.

If we could do it in 1801, we can do it now.

Now, we don't have even to invade anything. The pirates' bases of operation are known and can be destroyed by airpower/missiles etc. Smoking a fuel depot would be a good start.

Within 30 min, you'll have CNN documenting collateral damage. Namely, killed women and children of the pirates' shanty towns. The PR damage to the US will be enormous.

Ergo, they need to be confronted and destroyed at high seas.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I'm not talking about invading.

I mean a raid. We put operators on the ground who can designate targets and use demo on others.

The "motherships" and their docks must be taken out.

Collateral damage will be minimal.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

I'm not talking about invading.

I mean a raid. We put operators on the ground who can designate targets and use demo on others.

The "motherships" and their docks must be taken out.

Collateral damage will be minimal.

That's how I see this going down also. We have the tech to do it. It would have to be on of the most methodical and orchestrated plans ever but it could be done, get in disable, rescue and get the hell out. The problem I see is either blending in long enough to make the inner city rescues or going fast enough to get the job done with minimal casualties. I don't see how the world can sit back any longer and do nothing. There's hundreds of hostages that would probably like to see their families again and vise versa.
edit on 23-2-2011 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Clearly you totally misunderstood what I said. I would never say there is a justification for killing. Eye for an eye this is what I believe to be just.

However you say everyone has a choice? Typical response from a natural born American or any of the other privledged nations. You have no idea what third world means. You don't have clean water, you can't take your sick and dying mom down the street for medical care and the list goes and on.

My whole point is if we are really interested in fixing problems in society then we have to attack those problems at their ROOT.

My Logic is skewed? How nice it must to be able to afford a moral code as you put it. If your hungry enough and your family is dying in front of your only option is to take from someone who has to much then are you telling me you wouldn't? Clearly you've never been in that position.

So you think that these desperate Somali Pirates that were only after money to feed their families faced off with a U.S. War Ship by killing these innocent civilians while in a small single engine motor boat?

edit on 23-2-2011 by iLoGiCViZiOnS because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

reply to post by MRuss

However you say everyone has a choice? Typical response from a natural born American or any of the other privledged nations. You have no idea what third world means. You don't have clean water, you can't take your sick and dying mom down the street for medical care and the list goes and on.

Most of us American's know full well what a third world is, we had a choice and we made a decision, we want clean water and to take care of our elders. That's what's made us who we are. You want something worth having then stand up and make it happen that's what we've done as a country. You want to condemn us for our ethics and making that choice?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

IF Americans knew what a third world country is then they then they would understand WHY there are Somalian Pirates. Look I am not saying these people are not dangerous. I am saying these people are hungry and not educated. They have no resources to speak of going in or out the country that warrant a trade system that would help their predicament.

Then Tuesday morning, with "absolutely no warning," the pirates launched a rocket-propelled grenade at the USS Sterett, though several Somalis also raised their arms in surrender on the yacht's deck, Fox said.

US Special Forces raced to the yacht on small boats. By the time they boarded, they heard gunfire and saw that all four Americans had been shot, Fox said. They died after efforts to treat them failed.

This was a War Ship vs.Yacht with machine guns. They were fighting for survival so why would they kill the only four people keeping them alive?

This was tragic and is not going to be fixed until the ROOT of the problem is solved PERIOD!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

This was tragic and is not going to be fixed until the ROOT of the problem is solved PERIOD!

I read your post and according to it, the root of the problem won't go away until we do some nation building in Somalia and make into an African Switzerland or at least Czech Republic. Guess what, it's not happening.

In the meantime, we need to put the rabid dogs out of business.

edit on 24-2-2011 by buddhasystem because: typo

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Their not dogs their human to, and its certainly not going to help anything if we run around the world like gun yielding comandos killing everyone trying to feed their families.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
How I miss the old days when pirates were hung for all to see.

I think it would take about a week of pirates seeing US, Dutch, Russian, French, Canadian, British (sorry to any country I missed) warships with pirates hung off the bow, before they changed their ways.

It will never happen, but it would be effective.
edit on 24-2-2011 by Darkrunner because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

IF Americans knew what a third world country is then they then they would understand WHY there are Somalian Pirates.

That's a fairly uneducated condensending accusation. Who's say's American's dont understand "WHY"...you? Are you the only one enlightened on this subject...have you ever been to a third world country?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join