It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's a Hoax: Anonymous Did Not Threaten Westboro Baptist Church

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I searched and didn't see this posted yet.

Based on its recent successes taking on the considerable forces aligned against Wikileaks, and its ability to take down HBGary--an information security firm--in a matter of hours, you do not want to be on the radar of the hacking collective known as "Anonymous". Perhaps that is why an apparent ultimatum from Anonymous to the Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) is making headlines. Problem is--it's a hoax.
PCWorld Source Article

There was a pretty interesting thread with some defending Anonymous, and some saying they were just preventing WBC from practicing their right to free speech. In any case, according to this article the threat isn't even real.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Although it appears that the WBC reply was real. The threat didn't come from Anonymous.

From the article...

WBC accepted the challenge and told its faceless attackers to "bring it". On February 20, however, an open letter posted on AnonNews claimed the threat was not sent by Anonymous in the first place. It asserts that the threat is a hoax, and even goes so far as to suggest WBC is behind the hoax just to make headlines. If so, it worked.

The Anonymous press release goes on to chastise the media for taking the hoax bait so quickly, and directs hackers in the Anonymous collective to abandon any attacks against WBC and steer away from what it claims is a trap.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Nice find, although I feel they kind of deserve it for he ignorant hate speech they offer up. I thought they were a bit too 'small' to be targeted by Anon. I mean after messin with the big boys it seems a little redundant.

Peace

"bring it on" priceless

edit on 21/2/2011 by LestatG because: Add to see the pitiful threat!!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by LestatG

I will be curious to see who the threat really came from, IF they ever come forward to tell. And if we do find out who it was, they might just get targeted by anon for pulling this stunt?

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by stealthsurfer

To true, however it could be the WBC, as mentioned, for exame I did read over some of their drivel after it was posted here.

Publicity stunt? Who knows they may found some new meat to indoctrinate this way!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
This reminds me of North Korea's shenanigans. Paranoid and pulling stunts to stay in the spotlight,
edit on 21/2/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
But...but...but....I thought we were all Anonymous??? I thought we were all Legion???

And hence, you see the issues with having a group that says they are not a group at all. So which is it Anonymous fanboys...is Anonymous an official "group"...or not?

It would seem that they can come out and claim that the WBC "threat" didn't officially come from Anonymous...then that makes them an official "group".

And if WBC did create this "hoax" themselves...it just further shows how stupid it is to have a "group" that you say isn't a "group". If you have no representation for said "group"...then ANYONE can come out and claim responsibility or issues threats and say they are from that "group".
edit on 21-2-2011 by MindSpin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by LestatG

I agree that WBC would have been fun to see targeted, I was looking forward to this thing getting juicy.
After all, WBC are a bunch of lunatics Imo. Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see what else if anything comes from this.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by MindSpin
So which is it Anonymous fanboys...is Anonymous an official "group"...or not?

Since anyone can claim to be "Anonymous" when wreaking havoc on someone or some website, unless they in some way come out and state that "we are a group and we are responsible for all these things" with some low quality video like the supposed Osama video's who knows. And even then who's to say the video's would be legit and not created by a third party just to have a scapegoat.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Yeah, pretty active thread on it here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Discussion of the Hoax on the tail end of the thread

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

I think you're just upset that you can't suddenly find a reason to attack anonymous for attacking free speech.

Unlucky bro.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

I guess if the mods feel it should be continued there instead of a new thread, I'll understand if you put a cap on this one.

Either way I am kind of bummed WBC isn't gonna get a smack down.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
How could it possibly be a "hoax", since anyone can claim to be "Anonymous"?

Maybe that's the loophole only groups like Anonymous can enjoy: Make an announcement on the internet - if it turns out to be unpopular, save face by making a new announcement that the first announcement was a "hoax!"

They can't lose.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

I guess AnonNews is suppose to be their official way of communicating to the public, according to the article that's where they claim they didn't make the threat came from. I see your point though.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

I think you're just upset that you can't suddenly find a reason to attack anonymous for attacking free speech.

Unlucky bro.

No no...I'd much rather be laughing at them getting caught in their own "we aren't a group" philosophy than watching them DDoS a private citizens website.

I just think you are upset because you spent so much time defending them and champion their "cause" against WBC.

Unlucky bro

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I just saw this screen posted in the comments of the article stating "anon" got hacked.

Here is the supposed AnonNews page link.
AnonNews

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
i love how they put this so well, anonnews.org... from yes do not feed too would not waist time with WBC sums it up right there for me.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I think most knew it was a hoax of some sort. WBC making the letter in the first place makes a whole lot of sense, as they do what they do for publicity anyway. If everyone ignored them, they would go away. Sadly, most cannot look away from the bloody bus crash.

I take comfort in knowing in my heart that WBC will get their end of the Karma stick.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Nice man, you win the semantics game! Now go challenge Anonymous to a duel, see how much of what you just wrote matters.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ossminid

Nice man, you win the semantics game! Now go challenge Anonymous to a duel, see how much of what you just wrote matters.

Obviously, it mattered enough for you to respond to it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join