It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House votes to cut off funding for Planned Parenthood

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

House votes to cut off funding for Planned Parenthood

www.rawstory.com

WASHINGTON – By a vote of 240 to 185, the House of Representatives approved a measure Friday that would defund the health and abortion services group Planned Parenthood.

The measure was attached as an amendment to the appropriations bill funding the government for fiscal 2011. It passed on a largely party-line vote; only 7 Republicans and 10 Democrats voted against their leadership.

Authored by Rep. Mike Pence (R-IN), the amendment would eliminate all $327 million in funding for Title X, a family planning program that began 40 years ago under President Richard Nixon. And while Planned
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
First off, reread the last sentence. The funds cannot be used for abortion services. Second, the bill is aimed specifically at one group. Third, millions of women need these services because they can't afford health screenings and contraception to avoid unwanted pregnancies in the first place. The funds HELP AVOID ABORTIONS and the Republicans want to cut it off?? That seems so backwards to me.

Whatever anyone's beef is with Planned Parenthood because they provide abortion services, that does not warrant an attack on the services that actually do a world of good for millions of women AND men. I am completely beside myself right now. I know this will most likely not pass in the Senate, but what bothers me is that it even did in the House and if the elections had gone another way, they would be able to pass this legislation. It's just the fact that this legislation is based on a BELIEF that many don't share and is nothing more than a vengeful act. Many people would have to pay a price because someone else held a different belief.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I don't know about your state, but in Michigan, the county health department provides birth control free of charge if you meet the income guidelines.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I just viewed another thread about this, but this one was written to discredit a congresswomen who spoke about her own abortion experiences. OP, thank you for posting your insights. I am glad to see a thread that is not shoving the beliefs aspect of abortion into its midst but instead giving a logical insight as to why funding should remain. I hope for the sake of women in your country that the Senate does not approve this.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Personally, I would like to see a lot more programs the government is willing to cut. Enough is enough. Our country is flat broke. Nobody is willing to give up anything. Pretty soon we wont have a bucket to pee in or a window to throw it out of.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner
I don't know about your state, but in Michigan, the county health department provides birth control free of charge if you meet the income guidelines.

love michigan

love Oak Park

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by hardamber

I'm pretty sure Obama might announced that overseas US bases are closed due to to his budget cuts

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

It's not about that necessarily. It's about the fact that they did it because they provide abortion services when the services the funding goes to PREVENTS abortions. Not to mention that this legislation was drafted based on a personal belief. I hate to dictate the conversation, but this isn't about what the federal government should and shouldn't fund. It's about performing an action that is contradictory to why you are doing it in the first place and making others suffer some kind of "hardship" because you don't "believe" the organization should be providing a certain type of service that these funds don't even get used for.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by darrman

Originally posted by Darkrunner

love michigan

love Oak Park

Yooper here.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Look, I am trying not to make this personal, you have every right to believe whatever you want, but this is a human. A PERSON. When does he or she get to decide what to believe?

I cant say this loud enough..

IF YOU DON'T WANT KIDS DON'T HAVE SEX

How freakin hard is it? wear a condom and pull out

[not talking about rape or incest, THAT is when you can choose]

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I completely agree.

I haven't had sex in over three years because I refuse to have sex with someone who I am not in a meaningful, well established relationship. The ONLY people I will have sex with is someone I would be willing to raise a family with. The problem with this world today is that so many people just sleep around with anything they can, and then act surprised when intercourse results in sex.

Here is a question. How many people are surprised when 1 + 1 equals 2? This is the same as people who knowingly have intercourse with someone and are shocked when it results in a child. Yes, condoms and birth control do lessen the chance of pregnancy, but they are not guaranteed. You should not be sleeping with someone that you would not want a child with.

Also, another reason I do not sleep around is because I currently cannot financially support a child. I know this and refuse to put a child in that situation. Too many people in this world who are already in poverty (some who have already had children and made their situation even more dire) continue to have sex resulting in an ever worsening downward spiral. They then proceed to complain about their situation, like it was a horrible bomb dropped upon their lives that they were unable to prevent. I refuse to feel sorry for people who knowingly not only make their lives increasingly worse, but also that of their children.

If you want to sleep around, that is fine, but I wish the government would cut off assistance to anybody with more then one child. Mistakes do happen, but three, four, five - sometimes more - children when you are already in a situation of poverty should never be encouraged. To those who knowingly spread their legs, there is no reason you should ever be shocked when you get pregnant. The same goes to men. Anyone who wants to sleep around should be ready to raise a child with whomever you have sex with.

No children are ever mistakes. Unless somehow by accident you slipped and ended up with your penis inside someone else's vagina, then proceed to ejaculate within them during a fertile period - then you are knowingly making children and should be ready when a pregnancy develops.

Stop sleeping around with people who you cannot see yourself raising a child with. Stop sleeping around if you financially cannot support a child, or additional children. Because of people who do these things children are being raised as "mistakes", by parents who are unable to provide sufficiently for the child and sometimes even themselves. And people wonder why the world is going to hell in a hand basket..
edit on 2/18/2011 by deadline527 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by rbnhd76

Can you read the OP before posting? The funds are NOT used for abortion! They're trying to cut funds that AREN'T used for abortion but making it sound like they are.

This is just one of the hot issues that the parties run by us every election time to get us riled up and make us lean toward voting for one side or the other. Abortion, guns and gays. The Trifecta of election year. And people are divided by it over and over again.

Originally posted by rbnhd76
THAT is when you can choose

Thank you for dictating my choice. I didn't realize that MY rights had to be run by you first to see if they meet your moral code.

To you and those who starred your post: You don't want to live in a free society. You want YOUR freedoms, but you also want to dictate others' freedoms. This is one of my biggest pet peeves. People who try to tell me what my rights are, based on their own morals need to get out of my life, get the government out of my life and out of my womb! You have no business and no right there.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Saw this thread yesterday and for me it is a hot topic so I just stayed out of it until I calmed down.

These services being cut reminds me of what happened when Bush came into office and his first official act was to cut funding to all of our overseas programs that educated people about birthcontrol and STDs, since that time it has been nothing short of genocide.

Obama's administration is going to be cutting all services to the needy and poor over the next several months. Many of the community based programs have already received notice, places that have helped with food, shelter, weatherization, utilities and much more.

This is just another sign that it is over.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I'm sort of torn on this entire matter in a few ways.

First there's the issue about federal funding in general. I think it's over the top in so, so many areas and goes way beyond the Constitutional mission and scope of the federal government.

Second is that while I admire the work this particular organization does, I think the fact that they're not only vital but necessary at all is due in large part to the failings of our existing healthcare system

But finally, this being said, and with the "rules" being as they are and what they are, if this is being voted down simply due to ignorance about the abortion issue, Planned Parenthood, as many have already said and alluded to, does not "do" or "fund" abortions. They simply are willing to discuss as adults the very real and legal options with those in need of such discussion. Plenty of regular physicians and counselors do the same. I think they are an easy target and are unfairly targeted because of their organized characteristics. They put a face on it for the extremists, and then the extremists take it to the next level of applying "pressure" and making "noise" to rile up the ignorant. And anyone voting to cut off their funding based on this issue alone is beyond ignorant.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Saw this thread yesterday and for me it is a hot topic so I just stayed out of it until I calmed down.

These services being cut reminds me of what happened when Bush came into office and his first official act was to cut funding to all of our overseas programs that educated people about birthcontrol and STDs, since that time it has been nothing short of genocide.

Obama's administration is going to be cutting all services to the needy and poor over the next several months. Many of the community based programs have already received notice, places that have helped with food, shelter, weatherization, utilities and much more.

This is just another sign that it is over.

No offense, but it is not the United States job to fund world wide sexual education, nor should it ever have been.

Let the U.N. do something for a change.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by hardamber
Personally, I would like to see a lot more programs the government is willing to cut. Enough is enough. Our country is flat broke. Nobody is willing to give up anything. Pretty soon we wont have a bucket to pee in or a window to throw it out of.

There are programs that probably *should* be cut, and programs that most definitely should not be cut, such as social programs that help common citizens. There are more rational and logical methods to dealing with the problem than what is proposed. Trimming the fact does nothing but hurt the average citizen.

As far as budget goes, if the rich and the corporations would be appropriately and proportionally taxed, the crisis wouldn't be as bad as it is, and might exist, and might even make things better for the average citizen.

The state of a society is reflected in its populace: a healthy and prosperous society cannot be sustained unless the population is also healthy and prosperous.
edit on 19-2-2011 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liquesence

Originally posted by hardamber

There are programs that probably *should* be cut, and programs that most definitely should not be cut, such as social programs that help common citizens. There are more rational and logical methods to dealing with the problem than what is proposed. Trimming the fact does nothing but hurt the average citizen.

As far as budget goes, if the rich and the corporations would be appropriately and proportionally taxed, the crisis wouldn't be as bad as it is, and might exist, and might even make things better for the average citizen.

I would be all for higher taxes, if the government didn't spend it as soon as they get it. They are like a drunken sailor on leave, who pisses away his paycheck as fast as he can....

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Things like this certainly don't help the dialog. Oh, wait, let me guess—this was taken out of context

In Hour-Long Attack On Planned Parenthood, Beck Inexcusably Ignores Key Fact

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
But finally, this being said, and with the "rules" being as they are and what they are, if this is being voted down simply due to ignorance about the abortion issue, Planned Parenthood, as many have already said and alluded to, does not "do" or "fund" abortions. They simply are willing to discuss as adults the very real and legal options with those in need of such discussion.

Apparently Some Do

State law since 2003 requires abortions carried out during the 16th through 24th and one-half week of pregnancy to be performed in a licensed ambulatory surgery center. Planned Parenthood's clinic on Fannin in Midtown does not qualify for such a license, and it is allowed to perform abortions only on mothers through the 15th week of pregnancy, Durkin said.

Granted, there is some extremist rhetoric in that article, but extreme or not the truth is PP does perform abortions at some of their clinics.

I'm not coming out on either side of the "abortion is right/wrong" camp. But I do object to federal funds to legislate morality. If they can fund Planned Parenthood they can legalize prostitution and drugs. Funding to Planned Parenthood, or any like services, should be at the state level and voted on by state residents.

/TOA

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by deadline527

I'd give you a hundred stars if I could.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join