It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Shuts Down Space Telescope!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

You are correct! I couldn't agree with you more, I was not implying there was a conspiracy involved, but merely why the Government would keep a collision/near collision from the general public.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by FermiFlux
reply to post by Human_Alien

It demands a lot from the craft to search so far out into space, things get heated up, like computers etc, but on a stronger scale.

In late September 2010, WISE ran out of the coolant needed to chill its infrared detectors.

That's all that happened, not everything has to be a conspiracy.

edit on 18-2-2011 by FermiFlux because: (no reason given)

For the record the infrared detectors have to be cooler than the objects they are trying to find other wise they don't work, so in this case the end of the coolant supply means they can only use it to find objects warmer than background temperatures. So for all those people who keep bringing up planet X or niribu etc that means this particular probe is now USELESS to find those items unless they are warmer than probes thermographic sensor.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

I'm paranoid because I think its chump change and has already identified 120 near earth asteroids that we were unaware of??
Sorry, don't buy that...

The 400K to keep it running was without the thermographic system still up and running the optical systems would still run and NASA would continue to keep staff monitoring it's telemetry but very little useful data would be coming from the probe with out it's main sensor. It would cost years and millions to get a refuelling operation out to the probe to fill up the coolant resevoir. It had a finite life and it reached it, they learned a lot it's mission is done.

Wise without the thermography is kind of like paying for upgraded cable when you don't own a TV. Sure it sounds good and with it tied into your stereo you can hear stuff but what's the point really?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonkrice

Have you been watching the NEWS, it seems that maybe the conspiracy theorists were right all along. Look up Tyche, but I guess youre so damn smart you already knew

edit on 2/18/2011 by jasonkrice because: (no reason given)

S&F HA for bringing this news to my attention. I am about to go to bed but I found this article interesting.

I would like to add to your thread that I did look into Tyche as Jason had asked.. It seems that everybody here seems to think that Tyche is a fact. While it may or may not be out there, all I could find on this (Tyche) is that it is still may or may not be out there. I keep reading it could be out there. Evidence could prove. If it is out there and Tyche is suspected to. These are not 100% positive statements.

This article was at the top of my Yahoo search.

Evidence gathered by the NASA space telescope, Wise, could prove that this gas giant is hidden in the outer Oort Cloud, the most remote part of the solar system. The suspected planet has been named Tyche (pronounced ty-kee) by the two astrophysicists proposing it for "planet" status, Daniel Whitmire and John Matese from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. The first batch of data on Tyche is due to be released in April. After that, the planet may reveal itself within two years, say the two scientists. "If it does, John and I will be doing cartwheels. And that's not easy at our age." Professor Whitmire said.

newsfeed.time.com/201 1/02/15/a-nine-planet-solar-system-once-more-nasa-telescope-may-reveal-new-planet-tyche/#ixzz1ENHLsuq5

While it may be that the powers that be want to keep it quiet, I would like to think that news this big would not just be limited to NASA. I would hope that someone else is watching the sky to maybe catch what they(NASA) either do not see or what they do not want to tell us they seen. We can only wait to see if Nasa will give us the real truth or not.

Anyways I am off to bed. Thank you for the info HA.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

The 400K to keep it running was without the thermographic system still up and running the optical systems would still run and NASA would continue to keep staff monitoring it's telemetry but very little useful data would be coming from the probe with out it's main sensor. It would cost years and millions to get a refuelling operation out to the probe to fill up the coolant resevoir. It had a finite life and it reached it, they learned a lot it's mission is done.

Wise without the thermography is kind of like paying for upgraded cable when you don't own a TV. Sure it sounds good and with it tied into your stereo you can hear stuff but what's the point really?

With it's normal sensors it was still a good tool to look for NEOs..
That's the point..!!!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal

how is it a lie or a coverup that WISE fulfilled it's mission in the time alotted and for now is being put in hibernation untill they find something else to use it for? please explain this.

NASA spent $320M for that telescope yet they only plan to use it for 10 months? My son, do not believe everything that NASA says. Use your discernment when reading news released by NASA.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
after the last decade if we learned one thing from NASA, its that they know how to stretch a budget/project. I find this announcement strange. surely there is something it can be capturing pics of, yet it's been set idle...

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

NEOWISE was funded. The mission was completed this month. It completed its survey.

NASA's Planetary Science Division has funded an enhancement to the WISE data processing system called "NEOWISE" that allows detection and archiving of moving objects found in the WISE data. NEOWISE has mined the WISE images for a wide array of small bodies in our Solar System, including Near-Earth Objects (NEOs), Main Belt asteroids, comets, Trojans, and Centaurs. By the end of survey operations in February 2011, NEOWISE identified over 157,000 asteroids, including more than 500 NEOs and ~120 comets. The NEOWISE dataset will enable a panoply of new scientific investigations.

At $400k, a bargain.

solarsystem.nasa.gov...
edit on 2/18/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

At $400k, a bargain.

Agreed, so why not keep it running at such a small price??
New asteroids come into view all the time..

Doesn't make sense to me to just mothball it until they decide what else to do with it..
If it's there, keep it working..

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by backinblack

NEOWISE was funded. The mission was completed this month. It completed its survey.

NASA's Planetary Science Division has funded an enhancement to the WISE data processing system called "NEOWISE" that allows detection and archiving of moving objects found in the WISE data. NEOWISE has mined the WISE images for a wide array of small bodies in our Solar System, including Near-Earth Objects (NEOs), Main Belt asteroids, comets, Trojans, and Centaurs. By the end of survey operations in February 2011, NEOWISE identified over 157,000 asteroids, including more than 500 NEOs and ~120 comets. The NEOWISE dataset will enable a panoply of new scientific investigations.

At $400k, a bargain.

solarsystem.nasa.gov...
edit on 2/18/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Star from me Phage.
I am glad to see you are back.

off topic-I was going to go to bed HA but I just got some shocking info that will keep me up for a while.

Back on topic- I agree with phage that anything that nasa does for 400 grand is a bargain. I think that if it is up there it should be doing something, even a little something. This does kind of worry me that the NASA brass does not think that this thing is worthy of a mission.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Like WISE, NEOWISE completed its mission, a sky survey. Doing it over and over again would accomplish little. It did a complete survey of the objects it was capable of detecting. The objects found did not suddenly appear out of nowhere, objects in orbit do not tend to do that. They have been there but only with WISE and NEOWISE have they been detectable.It will take years to analyze the data it has collected. This is not a matter of just looking at a picture and arriving at a conclusion about what it means (something some people are very fond of doing). There are hundreds of objects for which to determine size, composition, and orbit (among other things).

The satellite is still there. It can be reactivated but the search is not over. In the future there will be spacecraft more capable, able to find smaller and more distant objects.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

But hasn't there been a world wide call for more funding to search for NEO's??
I've seen threads here about it..

Therefore wouldn't a space based detection craft that's already paid for be ideal to continue searching?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I think NASA is trying to focus it's attention on creating the Apophis craft which is meant to try and track Apophis directly.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lunartik
yeah course it ran out of coolant.
They spent 320 mill to make a space telescope to look into the farthest reaches of the known universe and overlooked the whole running out of coolant thing....

No, they switched it off so that we cant see whats coming.

They didn't overlook anything. The telescope was designed that way from the beginning. I remember when it first went up watching the videos of the lead scientists discussing the mission and why it was only going to last about a year...because of the coolant. This isn't new. They said this a year ago.

See, it's an telescope that searches in the infrared band and to do this it needs coolant to keep the sensors so cold they can detect "heat" signatures that are well below the normal freezing point - into the negative hundreds of degrees range. They had to design the telescope and the mission around the fact that it could only carry a certain amount of coolant. Once the coolant ran out, the telescope would become useless.

It did it's job and did it really well. It gave us the best survey of its kind ever, and they'll be sifting through that data for a VERY long time. It may even have found the possible new Jupiter+ sized world way out near the Oort cloud they are hoping to find, but they won't know until they've sifted all that data and made sense of it.

Edit: Here's the NASA press confrence from 2009 announcing the launch of this mission. (Oh, and it includes Dr. Amy Mainzer, probably the hottest astrophysicist on the planet.
She also happens to be a lead scientist on this mission. Beauty and brains, beat still my heart.)
edit on 2/19/2011 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

SAY WHAAAAAAAAT?!
What do you mean SHUTDOWN?!
This is offensive for the normal citizen!
NASA can do whatever whants and nobody can't do anything about it?!
Another BIG -W T F- from the increasing "W T F 's" that lately got our attention as insignificant HUMANS...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

There has been "nothing" that NASA has been "DISCOVERING", for a while now. And since the whole administration concerning space exploration has nothing about it that does not scream scam, I suggest you investigate this further.

NASA is a fraud, and what they bring back is allways but 1/4 of what actually happens.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Originally posted by optimus primal

seriously dude? did you even read the article? WISE's mission was only for around a year. it completed it's mission (pardon the pun) in stellar fashion. funnily enough, it didn't capture any photos of nibiru that anyone seems to have found. but it's gotta be something sneaky if it doesn't confirm your own opinion right?

Sure I did. I am also very familiar with NASA's lies and cover-ups (aka: conveniences) .

Thanks

What I am pondering is, haarp web site was shut down and know nasa shuts down...what arent we suppose to know or see comming?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
off topic-I was going to go to bed HA but I just got some shocking info that will keep me up for a while.

Hmm, that has me interested in what you found.

Makes you wonder why NASA waste millions despite the financial crisis we had and are still somewhat involved in if they're gonna shut down their equipment less than a year after launch. I mean, the ISS was supposed to be out of commission a long time ago as was the Hubble yet both are still operational.

Good find HA

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I was reading the other day that the "celestial" body they are looking for is extremely cold, which is why the telescope had to be cooled. Now I'm guessing that the telescope can probably only hold a certain amount of coolant which ran out at the time they knew it would.(No conspiracy imo). What is interesting, to me anyway, is the sudden lack of funding for NASA. Has this ever happened before? Yes, I know that the money isn't there but there have been times, in the past, when the economy wasn't good but NASA always got their money. The space shuttle is flying it's last run soon, it just seems like if they knew there was nothing left to do but wait and see what happens this is how it would go down. If they found what they were looking for(nibiru, planet x whatever you're calling it) and now it's a matter of oh well there's nothing left to do but wait and see what happens. The earth and the solar system are going through changes, no one can deny it. We are being affected more by our solar system than at any time in recent history and they just aren't sure what's going to happen. Does anyone here actually think that if they knew something was going to happen they would tell us? Interesting times, good thread

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Heres a video explaining the mission

And yes, she is smoking hot!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join