It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Shuts Down Space Telescope!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonkrice Because our Solar System does not exist in the Cosmos

Yes it does, but I just don't see the point of directing a telescope at the ground, do you? The moon and some of our planets you can look at with a pair of good binoculars. Our sun is that big bright object that lights everything up on a sunny day.

Yeah... we really need to include that in WISE.

Oh, look, there's a grain of sand on the beach!

edit on 18-2-2011 by momoney because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal
reply to post by backinblack

it's not considered a vital mission. to us it is. hell to me it is. but not to the appropriations committee. lets not all forget that it's the government that funds nasa, and right now they're tightening the purse strings on what they dole out to them.

$400.000 ?? That's pocket money..
If you believe they would mothball a $320 million dollar project over that then you must also believe in the Tooth Fairy..
IMO, they don't want us to know..
Anyways, who says it is mothballed?
We just don't get the info...

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I wonder if this was a wise decision by NASA?

Seriously though I dont find the shut down to be a surprise as the telescope's operational lifetime was always limited by its coolant supply.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

so many bad choices,, WASTEfull spending

(shaking head) (scratching @&$)

lets all go shopping

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

there's a point where paranoia just becomes silly. i think you've reached it.

400,000 dollars may seem like chump change within a budget of 17 billion, however it's really not. listen, i'm not defending all the reign tightening that the government is doing to nasa. just pointing out that not everything is a conspiracy by the lizard powers that be to subjugate humanity by keeping them from seeing asteroids.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Here's why NASA shut down WISE (in some of our opinions anyway)

Coast To Coast AM - 16.2.2011 - 1/12 - Planet X, Solar Flares,

In the first half of Wednesday's show, physicist and author Stan Deyo shared updates on Planet X, the current pole shift, and extreme weather, as well as discussed 'End Times' and the Antichrist. The jet and gulf streams are broken and we're looking at a mini-Ice Age, such as what happened in the 1600s, he said. During the solar cycles of 2012-13, we could see some intense activity, possibly tying in with End Times prophecy, he noted, citing how Hopi prophecy talks about a time that the sun is so hot that trees and grass will catch fire.

Based on his studies, Deyo has predicted a 'Planet X' type body that is some 250 times further from the sun than the Earth. This body has an orbital path of 3,600 years (as Sitchin said of Nibiru) and may be heated by its own internal source, allowing for people to live inside the planet, he suggested. For more, see this page of images related to his presentation.

------------------------

In the latter of the program, Prof. James McCanney continued the discussion about such topics as solar flares, Planet X and comets. Articles about ' Tyche,' a hypothetical Planet X in the Oort Cloud, have suggested it could affect the path of comets. But he believes this may be a cover story put out by NASA to hide that fact that a Planet X is coming into the solar system (and will appear like a comet initially).

McCanney also shared his perspective on what he calls "the myth of alternative energy." Green energy efforts such as wind turbines require a lot of infrastructure and are extremely inefficient-- they use more total energy than their gasoline burning counterparts, he commented. McCanney did praise wind power as being one of the cleanest and safest forms of energy, and announced that he's designed a more efficient low wind system.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonkrice

not really. far as i know they're still trying to determine if this proposed planet even exists. it's not as simple as" OI! wassat there!? zoom in nigel!" there's lots of math and postulating and finally even more math to figure out where it is if it exists so they can look in that general area.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

there's a point where paranoia just becomes silly. i think you've reached it.

400,000 dollars may seem like chump change within a budget of 17 billion, however it's really not. listen, i'm not defending all the reign tightening that the government is doing to nasa. just pointing out that not everything is a conspiracy by the lizard powers that be to subjugate humanity by keeping them from seeing asteroids.

I'm paranoid because I think its chump change and has already identified 120 near earth asteroids that we were unaware of??
Sorry, don't buy that...

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

Well hell I thought they just pointed the damn thang and took a pic, I didnt know there was all the edumacation invollved.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

really, it doesn't matter if you think it's chump change or don't buy it. you know who else identifies NEO asteroids? backyard amateur astronomers, and observatories. most of the time they do it for free too. searching out asteroids is not a high priority for the nasa appropriations committee. it just isn't. i don't like it either, but the only thing we can do about it is write letters to them to that effect.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

really, it doesn't matter if you think it's chump change or don't buy it. you know who else identifies NEO asteroids? backyard amateur astronomers, and observatories. most of the time they do it for free too. searching out asteroids is not a high priority for the nasa appropriations committee. it just isn't. i don't like it either, but the only thing we can do about it is write letters to them to that effect.

And yet them backyard astronomers missed the 120 this craft found in a short time..
I have read much about scientists etc saying we need to focus on potential NEOs..
This is a very expensive craft already paid for that is in the BEST position to find them..
I don't see ANY reason to stop looking..

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

I agree, it seems NASA would rather spend more money making a new one. Maybe we could all just start using Google Earth to find NEO's.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonkrice

I agree, it seems NASA would rather spend more money making a new one. Maybe we could all just start using Google Earth to find NEO's.

Yep, NASA can spend $millions to take pretty pics of a comet millions of miles away but can't afford a few $$ to look for NEOs that may impact earth..

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

of course they missed them. they're constantly moving. lol you act like WISE is the only thing that would ever find them. and nasa just doesn't want you to find out about them. why? for what purpose? what's the conspiracy here? that WISE completed it's main mission, and now when their budget is being raped by appropriations they close down a secondary mission and redirect it's funds elsewhere?

help me out here, what purpose does that serve? what master plan could require that?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Possibly they would not want us to know because of the mass religious hysteria it would cause?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
How do we know if it has really been "turned off"?

Maybe it's just that we aren't being allowed to view the data anymore..

We will never know, I guess.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

mass religious hysteria? because of near earth orbit asteroids? what does religion have to do with that? i have no idea what you're talking about. sorry

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

If something was to be found, and there was a good possibility it would hit earth what do you think would happen?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
They shut down the telescope just as an article is released about a NASA official saying solar weather's going to be the norm as terrestrial weather. Times are a changing. But of course everything's normal and will continue to be.
Enjoy the ride guys, it's going to get to the point where not even the guberment can explain it and we'll have to look within ourselves to figure it out. See ya'll on the other side brothers and sisters.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

it would depend upon what we could do about it. which in turn depends on what kind of object it is, what it's made of , where it would strike, how long we have till it strikes etc...etc..
there are a lot of variables in that situation. indeed a portion of the population would go crazy regardless of what we could or couldn't do about it. however, putting WISE into hibernation with what we know about the situation, does not to me indicate evidence that there is a conspiracy to keep the public uninformed. hell we almost get hit by asteroids all the time. if they were really worried about it, we wouldn't be told about those would we.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join