It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DeMint: Obama is not the United States' leader

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
www.politico.com...

“This whole idea that the president is the leader of our country is a mistake,” the South Carolina Republican said Thursday at a Federalist Society event in Washington.

“Leadership starts in the homes, in the communities, in businesses, in churches,” DeMint said, according to Talking Points Memo. “I’ve lived in a community and I know where the leaders are and it’s not in Washington. And this pretense that he’s our nation’s leader… I’m not just talking about Obama, I’m talking about any president.”

When I first read the headline I was fuming, I may dislike Obama intensely but he is our President and regardless of politics deserves respect. However I kept an open mind and read the article, Sen. DeMint is absolutely correct. Not this President or any of his predecessors are actually our leader(s).

Leadership, as DeMint stated, begins in the local social structures such as families, churches, businesses, municipalities, etc… DeMint is intelligent, although extremely partisan, being known by many on the left as “Mr. Waterloo” for saying “Defeating ObamaCare will be his waterloo, it will break him” (loose translation).

What are your opinions on the subject?
edit on 2/17/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I'm not american, however, i could contend that calling him a leader is submitting yourself to him. At best his is the representative of the will of the people. At worst he is a dictator or Führer, somewhere in between i would place "leader".
edit on 17-2-2011 by donkeystyle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
The president doesn't need to be a leader. The president needs to learn how to follow the Constitution and the wishes of We The People.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
He's only your leader if you say he's your leader.

One thing's for sure, he's not my leader.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I have no desire to head in the direction Obama is taking us so I guess is not my leader.

The guy is a typical CEO. Slash spend, fire and reorganize.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I don't know so I'm just putting the question out there. Did he say this about Bush when he was in office? If he didn't he should have and if he did good on him. But he is rep. so my guess he didn't. I always thought the president was the leader of the U.S. You can have many leaders but usually there's only one at the top. If the President isn't the leader who is? Is it just me or does the rhetoric seem to be getting worse by the day?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
www.politico.com...

“This whole idea that the president is the leader of our country is a mistake,” the South Carolina Republican said Thursday at a Federalist Society event in Washington.

“Leadership starts in the homes, in the communities, in businesses, in churches,” DeMint said, according to Talking Points Memo. “I’ve lived in a community and I know where the leaders are and it’s not in Washington. And this pretense that he’s our nation’s leader… I’m not just talking about Obama, I’m talking about any president.”

When I first read the headline I was fuming, I may dislike Obama intensely but he is our President and regardless of politics deserves respect. However I kept an open mind and read the article, Sen. DeMint is absolutely correct. Not this President or any of his predecessors are actually our leader(s).

Leadership, as DeMint stated, begins in the local social structures such as families, churches, businesses, municipalities, etc… DeMint is intelligent, although extremely partisan, being known by many on the left as “Mr. Waterloo” for saying “Defeating ObamaCare will be his waterloo, it will break him” (loose translation).

What are your opinions on the subject?
edit on 2/17/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

He is not the leader....He is the head of the executive branch, which enforces laws. This is why in the early American history Presidents were military men, and not lawyers. I find it funny (and sad )that people look to the president for economic advice....that's not his role, as per the Constitution.

Though, in recent times people look to the President as a Dictator. As an example, President Obama said during campaign he would televise the health care debates, and when that didn't happen, people called him a liar and all sorts of nastiness. Remember? Well, the thing is he doesn't have the power to do that, and if people didn't have their heads up their bums, they would know that from the get go.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
"We the people..." sets it out fairly clearly that sovereignty is the USA belongs to the people in common, not any individual or subset of the people - it's the entire people. Government is conducted by the people's representatives, chosen by the people.
If only it were so. Alas the cult of personality is not entirely the fault of those personalities themselves (Obama etc.) but some responsibility must be taken by the people themselves who surrender their sovereignty to such individuals or subsets, usually so they don't have to take responsibility for anything except their own comfort and self interest.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I like it, informing the people that responsibility starts at home. Leadership is a quality that we all posses. The USA is not the president, it is the country, the land and the people, all of it. All Americans have some responsibility for the state of America, their voice may not be much but as a mass is does get a lot louder. The federal government will take away all rights of the people, councils and states if it could. It is only when the people start to challenge and look for the fair ground that it is found.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Hmmm wrong thread.... my bad

/sneaks out back door with his post
edit on 18-2-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I don't find it radical at all for DeMint to make these comments, although most people will get bent out of shape and point the 'right winger' finger at him, missing the point entirely; I would disagree with him on one point however: leadership does not start in the church -- for the church is another means (like government, and banking) of control of the people; I think the churches and the government buildings should all be burned to the ground

new topics

top topics

join